The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The debate about needing for companions.....

Thatcrazypenguin

Make the most of your selfish ways while you still can.

The bottom line is, you, and every other TOR player who engages in this idiotic action of needing for companions at the same priority as present players are in the EXTREME minority and I'd put my house on Bioware implementing a system that makes it impossible for you to continue with what you're doing ALOT sooner than you think.

Trust me, it won't last long and your smug attitude will fade away, as will the frustration of all those who play fairly, so enjoy. :rolleyes:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that you pay your sub each month and get to choose how you play....when running solo. As soon as you form/join a group its no longer about your $15. If you think you dont need people, then go do the dungeon alone....o wait you cant or you would.

And for the op i think its laughable that you hold these ideas yet would be too cowardly to let the group know before the flashpoint starts.you say your conscience is clear yet i doubt you would post your toons names or warn the groups you run with that you are going to need on anything you want for your companions.

You know that noone would continue to run with you if you were at all honest about your intentions during the run. The is no real debate here. You have brought nothing to the discussion that doesnt make you seem anything more than a greedy person who hides his intentions until the oppurtunity to steal from other players presents itself.

I hope Bioware never brings in a cross server lfd so that players like you find it hard to continue finding groups on thier servers.

The first time I lose an item that I need to Khem Val (or another companion), I'm going to boot you from the group and /ignore. Then I'm going to tell all the other tanks I know how you operate, and encourage them to tell other tanks they know.

And in six months, you'll be crying for cross server LFG because every decent tank on the server has you on /ignore.

Think about it.

Sorta on the fence about this... I mean I'm body guard spec so I rely VERY heavily on my companion to do damage for me ... that being said I would feel like a bit of a jerk if I "needed" on something that another player genuinely needed. I think greens - who cares, blues - ask, purples - only if people pass and again - ask first.

While leveling, it's really a non issue to be honest, however once we near the level cap, it becomes more and more important.

Thats my whole point though dude, you shouldn't feel guilty about taking such action, because in this game your companion is that important when leveling he may as well be considered a piece of your gear anyway.

Thats my whole point though dude, you shouldn't feel guilty about taking such action, because in this game your companion is that important when leveling he may as well be considered a piece of your gear anyway.

So now when i have 4 companions at 25 i should need on everything?

Basicly SOLO and GROUPING is two different things i think probably the same people advocating need for companions are the same that are saying that

needing on Tank/healing gear is acceptable aswell when joining groups /Raids as DPS.........

Edited by Varghjerta

Make the most of your selfish ways while you still can.

The bottom line is, you, and every other TOR player who engages in this idiotic action of needing for companions at the same priority as present players are in the EXTREME minority and I'd put my house on Bioware implementing a system that makes it impossible for you to continue with what you're doing ALOT sooner than you think.

Trust me, it won't last long and your smug attitude will fade away, as will the frustration of all those who play fairly, so enjoy. :rolleyes:

Im interested to know why you think im selfish? im needing for an item which weather its for me or my companion, is an upgrade and helps my game, I could happily admit to being selfish if I was needing on items that were not upgrades for me or to use as some kind of vanity piece however an upgrade, if im using my companion as a tank and he gets a new piece of armor that helps increase his hp and survivability then that's an upgrade for me.

Just because your stuck thinking of a loot system you used on another mmo that aint my problem matey. The whole point of need/greed system is to only need on items that help you, it isnt my problem bioware made companions such a big part of this game your quarrel is with the makers of the game not with me, im not going to pass on an item that helps me weather its for me or khem val thats really none of your business, all you need to know is that im needing for an item thats an upgrade and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Thatcrazypenguin

So now when i have 4 companions at 25 i should need on everything?

Basicly SOLO and GROUPING is two different things i think probably the same people advocating need for companions are the same that are saying that

needing on Tank/healing gear is acceptable aswell when joining groups /Raids as DPS.........

No you should need if the companion which your using the most `your main` needs it the same as needing for main/offspec I have 2 companions so far but I only need if khem val can use it as hes the one i have up 99% of the time.

Needing for a companion you dont actully use would be selfish.

The first time I lose an item that I need to Khem Val (or another companion), I'm going to boot you from the group and /ignore. Then I'm going to tell all the other tanks I know how you operate, and encourage them to tell other tanks they know.

And in six months, you'll be crying for cross server LFG because every decent tank on the server has you on /ignore.

Think about it.

haha i love self important people, how many tanks do you know then mate? IF im even on your server, you speak like your some kind of royalty....keep on walking haha

No you should need if the companion which your using the most `your main` needs it the same as needing for main/offspec I have 2 companions so far but I only need if khem val can use it as hes the one i have up 99% of the time.

Needing for a companion you dont actully use would be selfish.

but i do need the money aswell selling it and how can you check what i use for my companion the most.

Same as for the people saying make a need for companion button without realising that it would just replace the greed button.

But i am happy that this is same server which basicly just means that people that need for companions will be labeled by me and my guild and probably the most other player a Ninha and get ignored and shunned

Edited by Varghjerta

that's my point though, companions should not be considered AFTER players, an upgrade that helps a player is just that, be it on him/her or there companion, im saying companion gear should be considered just as highly as player gear when it comes to these need/greed rolls. it can help out just as much after all so why not?

Ok, so im going to roll need in evey single item and if someone aske i will say "its for my companion"

Good idea tx.

The op reminds me of my 12 yr old son, everything should be his if he wants it.

If your companion is tanking the heroic / flashpoint then i agree you can need, if someone else is doing that role then you greed, otherwise instant kick and ignore.

Edited by Kolzarr

Companions aren't real people, companions don't have real feelings, and companions don't enjoy receiving gear. How would you feel if you went into an instance specifically looking for an awesome piece of armour and another player's companion, who isn't even in the damned instance, won the roll? You don't have to answer, I know you'll probably reply saying "I wouldn't care" but that couldn't be further from the truth and everybody knows it. Rolling need for a companion upgrade when a player needs the same item is simply poor etiquette and hopefully all these newer MMO players (read: OP and pretty much all those who agree with him) will learn commonly accepted loot rules soon enough. Edited by Xenofell

Companions aren't real people, companions don't have real feelings, and companions don't enjoy receiving gear. How would you feel if you went into an instance specifically looking for an awesome piece of armour and another player's companion, who isn't even in the damned instance, won the roll? You don't have to answer, I know you'll probably reply saying "I wouldn't care" but that couldn't be further from the truth and everybody knows it. Rolling need for a companion upgrade when a player needs the same item is simply poor etiquette and hopefully all these newer MMO players (read: OP and pretty much all those who agree with him) will learn commonly accepted loot rules soon enough.

haha not so new mate i started wow back just before the launch of tbc. as for etiquette that's the issue mate your trying to apply the etiquette you've used on other games to this one, it cannot be done, on the other games companions weren't an issue on this one they are. and gearing them can help a player just as much as gearing the player character themselves, that needs to start being taken into account rather then everyone try and apply the same rules to every single game whatever the changes made, thats mental!

After all what is the point in having companions if you cant gear them well? I happen to rely on khem val as a tank for example, if I cant give him good gear then he`ll very soon become useless as the levels go up so gearing him serves as much purpose as gearing myself.

Companions aren't real people, companions don't have real feelings, and companions don't enjoy receiving gear. How would you feel if you went into an instance specifically looking for an awesome piece of armour and another player's companion, who isn't even in the damned instance, won the roll? You don't have to answer, I know you'll probably reply saying "I wouldn't care" but that couldn't be further from the truth and everybody knows it. Rolling need for a companion upgrade when a player needs the same item is simply poor etiquette and hopefully all these newer MMO players (read: OP and pretty much all those who agree with him) will learn commonly accepted loot rules soon enough.

I pretty much agree with this. If i'm running a flashpoint or whatsoever and my companion isnt even with me, i wouldn't roll on any of its gear. Heck, chances are that even when its with me, i wouldn't roll on its gear. Simply because there's mostly a sage around as well who can take the exact same items.

Still, i love the logic behind the "This gear upgrades my companion and thus helps my main"

Cause with that logic, i can roll need for everything. And then just sell all the items.

After all, with money, i can buy items that help my main.

You know theres been a lot of argument on the forums about people needing for items for there companions and people calling them ninjas etc, I dont think anything could be further from the truth and heres why:

Companions are a major part of this game, this is not wow and you should not try and apply the same loot rules, companions are a great help to a player and as such should be treated in my opinion as another piece of gear when rolls come up, they are not controllable characters so none of this `well if there not taking part in the run they cant roll` thats stupid, your talking about a computer controlled npc.

However gearing them well does bring benefit to the player character I see needing as something only to be done if it benefits your character.....sorry but in this game that does include companions, if khem val in my case (as a sith inquisitor/sorcerer using him as a tank) is wearing better armor or using a better weapon for example he`ll stay alive longer/do more damage both of which help me and should be considered an upgrade that benefits my character in the same way as a piece of gear for the main character would.

So no this is not ninjaing and is just something players are going to have to get used to, This is not wow, you cannot apply the same greed/need rules here as companions are very much a major part of a players play style and as such should factor in the decision to need/greed an item, I couldn't care less if its for me or my companion an upgrade is an upgrade and if it helps me then ill need it simple as.

anyway.....discuss......

If you ever need for companions in my group, I'm out. Doesn't matter if we're 99% of the way through a long job or we've been guildmates for years. This isn't a debate for me, it's a simple common sense rule.

haha not so new mate i started wow back just before the launch of tbc. as for etiquette that's the issue mate your trying to apply the etiquette you've used on other games to this one, it cannot be done, on the other games companions weren't an issue on this one they are. and gearing them can help a player just as much as gearing the player character themselves, that needs to start being taken into account rather then everyone try and apply the same rules to every single game whatever the changes made, thats mental!

After all what is the point in having companions if you cant gear them well? I happen to rely on khem val as a tank for example, if I cant give him good gear then he`ll very soon become useless as the levels go up so gearing him serves as much purpose as gearing myself.

Sure, if we run an instance, and you have your precious tank with ya, you could roll items that you need for him. If there's not a real tank around wich wears the same that is.

But if he's not with ya, its nothing more then ninja looting. Cause in the end, there's what, 5 companions ? With a variety of equipment.

Cool, we can roll need for everything!

Sure, if we run an instance, and you have your precious tank with ya, you could roll items that you need for him. If there's not a real tank around wich wears the same that is.

But if he's not with ya, its nothing more then ninja looting. Cause in the end, there's what, 5 companions ? With a variety of equipment.

Cool, we can roll need for everything!

No you can roll need if its for the companion you actually use the most, need=need don't need=greed as for companions not being with you? that's the games choice not mine, if you get a full group then companions auto go away, you talk about them like there a player character with a choice of to run the instance or not haha there or not they still help you when not in the instance.

No you can roll need if its for the companion you actually use the most, need=need don't need=greed as for companions not being with you? that's the games choice not mine, if you get a full group then companions auto go away, you talk about them like there a player character with a choice of to run the instance or not haha there or not they still help you when not in the instance.

This is completely non-negotiable with me. Anyone pulling this in any group or raid I'm in will suddenly find themselves a man short. Full stop, even if I get kicked out of a guild for abandoning a raid I won't flex on this.

Edited by AlpsStranger

First the players roll, then the companions roll.

Thats a simple rule and should be followed. If you instead skip the "player roll" then yes you are a ninja. Ninja has nothing to do with need or not need, but with exploiding general rules that apply for all. You do know that the companion rolls after or the OS etc. but still you exploid the system and roll because you know you then get the item.

Its the same at wow, there you got MS>OS - so if you roll for OS while the MS didnt roll yet, then you are a ninja.

But tbh. those discussion did appear at wow since Dual spec was introduced and there are two generations fighting about it. The old who are social and follow the rule and the young ones, who usually need just for the sake of needing. I see the same situation at SWTOR happening tbh.

If you state before the run that you want to equip your companion and the group accepts this, then you are entitled to roll for the items but will most likely not have a tank or healer then, as they cant be arsed going with people who want to equip their companions or OS.

Look im done with this, im just repeating myself over and over because people cannot be arsed to read back in the thread.

The best way I could demonstrate how I look at this issue to you guys is this, in this game because of there helpfulness to the main character I see my companion as a piece of gear right? so If that piece of gear getting an upgrade helps me on the whole then I see that as a perfectly viable need.

I think to many people are trying to apply loot rules followed on other games to this game and with the changes bought about by companions being such an essential part of leveling that just doesn't work.

Look im done with this, im just repeating myself over and over because people cannot be arsed to read back in the thread.

The best way I could demonstrate how I look at this issue to you guys is this, in this game because of there helpfulness to the main character I see my companion as a piece of gear right? so If that piece of gear getting an upgrade helps me on the whole then I see that as a perfectly viable need.

I think to many people are trying to apply loot rules followed on other games to this game and with the changes bought about by companions being such an essential part of leveling that just doesn't work.

I think what most people are trying to tell you is that your opinion is, well, simply wrong. If you pull this in a group 95% of people will kick you immediately. If you still think what you're trying to do is right, well I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but don't be surprised when you receive a group kick and angry tells from disgruntled players.