The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Recent update's "loot by level"

ZaichiZ

The recent update has made it so that only gear etc at your level drop...Basically, even if something is modifiable I can no longer pick up anything that's a lower level than 61 now(So far anyway). (Kinda also defeats part of the purpose of outfit designer too...)

Are you kidding me? Seriously?

The only solution is to make it a selectable feature instead of forced.

I've already opened a ticket up about this, but it's better to get everyone's attention on the matter.

Edited by ZaichiZ

... so that's what they meant? Seriously? In every MMO that I've played, loot drops in areas, regardless of my level. Why the hell can't I loot stuff of lower level that I might want for outfits or to give to a lowbie alt or to sell?!

The more issues I find and the more "fixes" I start to understand... the more I seriously hate Fallen Empire and this new update.

... so that's what they meant? Seriously? In every MMO that I've played, loot drops in areas, regardless of my level. Why the hell can't I loot stuff of lower level that I might want for outfits or to give to a lowbie alt or to sell?!

The more issues I find and the more "fixes" I start to understand... the more I seriously hate Fallen Empire and this new update.

Yep, I even only get level 61 gear on Korriban now...How did anyone think this was a good idea?... Oh yeah, to make it even better it's only a specific group of gears, over and over on every planet.

Edited by ZaichiZ

Yep, I even only get level 61 gear on Korriban now...How did anyone think this was a good idea?... Oh yeah, to make it even better it's only a specific group of gears, over and over on every planet.

it's honestly not a bad idea for people leveling, it's just terriable for end gamers who are more intreasted in item apperance then anything else, a toggle would be ideal IMHO

Edited by BrianDavion

Guys, guys, take a chill pill. Geez. It's been done so that you can get gear appropriate to your real level when you're clipped down. That does two things:

* If you are levelling still, and on one of those phases mercifully absent from the Trooper story where you go back to a previous planet, you can still get usable gear while you are there.

* Whatever you are doing, you get gear that's at about the right price point for your level when you merch it because you've already got something better. Unless you like running around Korriban, DK, Hutta, Ord Mantell (JK story, anyone?), etc. and getting feck all credits from foes unwise enough to attack you...

As for other games not doing it, well, um, I know of one that does. GW2 has level scaling (note: not partial clipping like in SWTOR, but proper scaling) and foes drop gear appropriate to your true level.

EDIT: Caveat lector: in GW2, of course, the appearance of gear is at least partially divorced from its stats and level requirements, and it wouldn't matter anyway, because of how they did their Outfit Designer equivalent: you apply an appearance to a piece of gear, selectable for all appearances you've unlocked for that kind of piece of gear, and the gear changes to look like that appearance. In most cases, you unlock appearances by picking up the gear.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Guys, guys, take a chill pill. Geez. It's been done so that you can get gear appropriate to your real level when you're clipped down. That does two things:

* If you are levelling still, and on one of those phases mercifully absent from the Trooper story where you go back to a previous planet, you can still get usable gear while you are there.

* Whatever you are doing, you get gear that's at about the right price point for your level when you merch it because you've already got something better. Unless you like running around Korriban, DK, Hutta, Ord Mantell (JK story, anyone?), etc. and getting feck all credits from foes unwise enough to attack you...

As for other games not doing it, well, um, I know of one that does. GW2 has level scaling (note: not partial clipping like in SWTOR, but proper scaling) and foes drop gear appropriate to your true level.

the problem stems from people who want to farm a certin look for their characters, if I like the style of a level 25 chest piece, for example I can't farm it.

the problem stems from people who want to farm a certin look for their characters, if I like the style of a level 25 chest piece, for example I can't farm it.

See my edit for why this isn't an issue in GW2. The obvious thing that's going to happen is that a market will open up on the GTN for farmed lowbie gear.

The other obvious question (I've only been on Zakuul, Odessen, and Fleet since the update dropped) is: are the drops high-level versions of the normal gear for the planet (GW2 style) or are they true high-level gear?

I would say the main point of this is to force people to use the cartel market even more. So far we've seen the commendation gear vendors removed, orange gear drops from flashpoints and heroics rewards removed, and now this.

The chance for an orange drop while killing mobs on lower level planets was small, but it did happen. Since 4.0 hit I had gotten several oranges from doing heroics. For instance I had hydra boots and a panther belt drop on dromund kas and a supreme inquisitor glove from Hoth. It was kind of nice to still be able to get some of the old armor sets still. But now thanks to this improvement those chances are gone since the orange gear is at the planet's level.

The other obvious question (I've only been on Zakuul, Odessen, and Fleet since the update dropped) is: are the drops high-level versions of the normal gear for the planet (GW2 style) or are they true high-level gear?

Level 65

Ord Mantell

Drops are 190 green

Not sure really what the problem is? I never relied on RNG to find a look for my characters, yes I lost a lot of options when they removed the vendors but thats another issue, but too many times people find themselves out levelling a planet and all they actually get is under levelled for what your level is this change is actually more useful than before at least in theory I have not had a chance to see how it's actually working. Edited by Jedi_riches

Not sure really what the problem is? I never relied on RNG to find a look for my characters, yes I lost a lot of options when they removed the vendors but thats another issue, but too many times people find themselves out levelling a planet and all they actually get is under levelled for what your level is this change is actually more useful than before at least in theory I have not had a chance to see how it's actually working.

Getting The Justice is going to be difficult now.

I would say the main point of this is to force people to use the cartel market even more. So far we've seen the commendation gear vendors removed, orange gear drops from flashpoints and heroics rewards removed, and now this.

The chance for an orange drop while killing mobs on lower level planets was small, but it did happen. Since 4.0 hit I had gotten several oranges from doing heroics. For instance I had hydra boots and a panther belt drop on dromund kas and a supreme inquisitor glove from Hoth. It was kind of nice to still be able to get some of the old armor sets still. But now thanks to this improvement those chances are gone since the orange gear is at the planet's level.

I think we have a winner...

I prefer this tbh... I'm getting gear I can break down into tier 9 mats. I'm making more credits by selling everything else.

Also I feel like this opens up gear for "looks" that drops at lower levels to be sold by new and low level players at higher prices. To be clear I am not suggesting people price gouge said items. Just saying that there is more potential for early income for some of those rarer drops.

I prefer this tbh... I'm getting gear I can break down into tier 9 mats. I'm making more credits by selling everything else.

Also I feel like this opens up gear for "looks" that drops at lower levels to be sold by new and low level players at higher prices. To be clear I am not suggesting people price gouge said items. Just saying that there is more potential for early income for some of those rarer drops.

With leveling as quick as it is, just to manage to get certain loots during the correct level window is going to be a nightmare. And to say that you are going to rely on some random new person to not use an item or discard the item, but actually wind up putting it on the gtn is also going to be a nightmare. I agree with the posters above, it was a sly move to force everyone into the cartel market even more.

Maybe for some of the looks sets but...

Most of my 'looks' armor is crafted or the gear from CM that is unique and has no in game skin that matched it anyway.

It's not really going to drive us to use CM more unless they start adding those armor looks to the CM... which doesn't look like they are/have. Yet.

I think in this case it was due to complaints that we as higher levels are going back to lower level planets and getting 'nothing' from the drops. Making it scale up to us made sense - but so would making sure the orange gear remains obtainable and making sure the various armor skins are still obtainable through crafting.

The orange gear from FPS being removed only bothered me because the armor skins became unobtainable - if they added those into crafting I wouldn't care even if they were 'blanks' with no mods in them.

Mod vendors going away kinda made sense as well for a different reason - before 4.0 if I wanted to mod anything early levels I only needed to pick from the vendors for my blue mods. Now for blue mods for orange gear I need to talk to/be a crafter to fill those slots. It pushed crafting or running FPS for the blue bop gear.

For orange gear to fill out my modable armor there are plenty of orange shells from rep vendors... or the starting two flight sets everyone gets on making a character in game.

I think what needs to be pushed, is the idea that we want those armor and weapon skins back through crafting.

does not make sense to me either, a level 65 is now picking up level 61 gear. already geared better than that. 61 gear is not going to sell other than to a vender. at least before even though the gear was for much lower levelled characters I could A. sell on gtn, or B. give to my low levelled alts.

Still this at least for me is not a big deal and can live with this. still seems a pointless change though. on the other hand credits seem to be a lot more when defeating enemy's on low level planets. so as said I can live with this seems a fair trade off.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I get what you're saying, but I can't really agree. There's a very real joy in getting these things from a drop.

I agree, in fact I don't think I've ever worn crafted armor. It's bad enough trying to put together a unique look, but using one that everyone can just craft up is a turn off for me.

I think you guys are crazy. Now I can actually loot low level mobs, and one of the side effects appears to be that instead of getting crappy low level companion gifts, I now get level appropriate greens to RE and vendor.

They basically increase your credit draw, and people complain. I honestly don't understand how you can be mad at this change. If you want a low level drop *that* bad, go farm it on a level appropriate toon.

You guys smell conspiracy, and I don't think that's actually the case. They changed it so level sync awarded natural level appropriate XP gains, it only makes sense that loot should follow.

Edited by DayneDrak

I think you guys are crazy. Now I can actually loot low level mobs, and one of the side effects appears to be that instead of getting crappy low level companion gifts, I now get level appropriate greens to RE and vendor.

They basically increase your credit draw, and people complain. I honestly don't understand how you can be mad at this change. If you want a low level drop *that* bad, go farm it on a level appropriate toon.

You guys smell conspiracy, and I don't think that's actually the case. They changed it so level sync awarded natural level appropriate XP gains, it only makes sense that loot should follow.

The only loot that drops though is the same 2/3 gears over and over, nothing else and on every planet.

Yeah, no thanks.

Edited by ZaichiZ

They changed it so level sync awarded natural level appropriate XP gains, it only makes sense that loot should follow.
Agreed. I must have missed all the posts complaining that XP scaled to our actual level rather than the sync'd level.

At this point in the game, I see no reason to farm low-level areas to acquire low-level modable gear. Even if one remains stoically dedicated to shunning the Cartel Market, one may acquire all the pieces for some set of adaptive armor via the GTN (and then unlock it for all characters). And that's all anyone really needs: any combination of armor that is modable. Heck, the Formal set is darn cheap from the Social vendors on the Capital Worlds. I, for one, haven't displayed my modable armor since the advent of Outfit tabs (I use the GSF Legacy sets, and what Jedi wants to be seen clad in the Imperial Covert set?). Thanks to Outfits, it doesn't matter what modable gear my guys are wearing.

Now, I can see how scaling gear drops to actual level impacts the collection of low-level green and blue gear to be slotted for cosmetic purposes. Actually, I'm assuming a level 10 character cannot slot a level 60 item in his Outfit slot ... I've never tried. If so, yeah, we need a work-around. That solution may well be (again) the GTN. While I would certainly reverse engineer any high level drops to get Level 9 materials (and high level gear sells poorly anyway), I always GTN the green and blue drops I get as I level alts. I sell the green for the default price. I sell the blues for ten times default price. I usually have around 50-60 items up at any one time and, having followed this strategy for the past few years, the rate at which such items sells seems inversely proportional to the item's level (low level items sell within an hour; high level items are most likely to return unsold). So, if one wishes not to level another alt simply to acquire low-level gear to slot cosmetically, then one may find solace in knowing that many of us enjoy creating alts and will make their gear drops available via the GTN.

Finally, let's consider the possibility that a majority of players have no interest in farming low-level areas to find that one, special, unique appearance. Perhaps most players view gear drops as a source for either mats or credits (either through the GTN or simply vendoring the item). If so, then it is likely that this change benefits more players than it harms.