Sensible Vaylin

Callaron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the Roman Empire did something similar, not to the extreme of HALF, but I think it was something like one out of every ten soldiers would get stoned to death if they failed their commander or the emperor. That said I sense a rift forming between Vaylin and Arcann

You know the Roman Empire did something similar, not to the extreme of HALF, but I think it was something like one out of every ten soldiers would get stoned to death if they failed their commander or the emperor. That said I sense a rift forming between Vaylin and Arcann

I believe that what you are thinking of is the punishment known as "decimation". Basically if a unit of a legion disobeyed battle plans (usually by running away from the battle without orders) then one man in every ten would be executed.

It's not that Vaylin's sensible. It's that Arcann's nucking futs all of the sudden.

First time we see Arcann after the fight in Chapter 8 and... he decides to Taris 5 planets, because he thinks they know something about the Alliance but are hiding it from him. Then, at the end of the chapter, Arcann orders all of his Knights to duel to the death, effectively cutting his Force-wielding forces in half, in order to better 'motivate' them.

Look, we get it, he's evil. We don't need it pounded into our head like that, especially if there's not going to be any real development of WHY he's making Dr. Evil look competent. I'm not against Arcann going 'round the bend because daddy is working to overthrow him through the Outlander, but it needs a slower build-up than this, something more than a pair of off-screen atrocities thrown in just to remind us who the bad guy is (probably thrown in because even the Light-side character are taking part in a decent amount of terrorism this chapter, and we can't have our characters be the bad guys...).

I believe that what you are thinking of is the punishment known as "decimation". Basically if a unit of a legion disobeyed battle plans (usually by running away from the battle without orders) then one man in every ten would be executed.

Yeah that's it.

I liked that we're getting the desperate side of Arcann, but yeah it's a bit excessive. If you think about this though he did nuke Bothawui just for having a resistance. Arcann is all about raging mindlessly whilst Vaylin plays the manipulative psychopath. You can tell she HATES being told what to do.

I thought Vaylin and Arcann would eventually turn on each other, but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

I'm actually sympathetic to Vaylin. Her father played with her head and her brother is an abusive egomaniac. Vaylin has no role model and the mental maturity of a small child.

as for the bombing of the 5 worlds, he didn't bomb them because he belives they knew anything, he knows they most likely don't. he did it as part of psychalogical warfare. the IDEA being that by doing this, he'll scare the worlds that DO know something and that HAVE supported the alliance, into cutting off ties and turning the Outlander in.

but yeah the duomating of the Knights is bound to have major concequences down the road for Arcaan. as while it may motivate some, it's likely to enchourage rebellion. The man may have just handed Senya an army.

Yeah that's it.

I liked that we're getting the desperate side of Arcann, but yeah it's a bit excessive. If you think about this though he did nuke Bothawui just for having a resistance. Arcann is all about raging mindlessly whilst Vaylin plays the manipulative psychopath. You can tell she HATES being told what to do.

Yeah, I'm aware of that one too. But that was just a unit/legion. Not their entire force.

Not to mention, since Knights are Force sensitives, they're a LOT harder to replace than common soldiers.

I thought Vaylin and Arcann would eventually turn on each other, but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

I'm actually sympathetic to Vaylin. Her father played with her head and her brother is an abusive egomaniac. Vaylin has no role model and the mental maturity of a small child.

You forgot the part where daddy dearest chose to restrict her powers rather than having to be an actual father to her. :p

She did a pretty raw deal when it comes to family.

I don't think Vaylin is in any position to talk considering she's been killing Knights for the same and pettier reasons since her introduction: She's killed some to even out an odd number that she herself created.

Did anyone else notice that Arcann and Vaylin's eyes were becoming red?

Edited by SingaSong

Yeah, I'm aware of that one too. But that was just a unit/legion. Not their entire force.

Not to mention, since Knights are Force sensitives, they're a LOT harder to replace than common soldiers.

You forgot the part where daddy dearest chose to restrict her powers rather than having to be an actual father to her. :p

She did a pretty raw deal when it comes to family.

She and Arcaan do talk breifly about how Thexan was nice to her..

Not only that... they would be divided into groups of ten, lots drawn and then the nine to not be executed had to kill the tenth man. Talk about harsh punishment. :eek:

She was a sadistic psychopath even before Valkorian messed with her head. She had a role model in Senya, but rejected her.

Anyway, yeah I did find it a little odd why she cares so much about Arcann killing the Knights. I'd have expected her to approve, given how many she killed for no reason. Maybe she's upset there will be less left for her to terrorize and randomly execute?

Edited by OldVengeance

She was a sadistic psychopath even before Valkorian messed with her head. She had a role model in Senya, but rejected her.

Anyway, yeah I did find it a little odd why she cares so much about Arcann killing the Knights. I'd have expected her to approve, given how many she killed for no reason. Maybe she's upset there will be less left for her to terrorize and randomly execute?

Crazy conspiracy theory, but I theorize that Vaylin is not as dumb as we are led to believe. Might just be because I have had to watch the scenes too many times and read too much into them... But, crazy idea time...

What if every time she 'killed' a knight, she actually was incapacitating them and secreting them away? Preparing to revolt against Arcann so Vaylin could seize the thrown. Yes, we do see her kill some knights. Though, it could all be faked, especially with power like hers. Force illusions, mental incapacitate via blood vessels, mind wipes, etc etc.

That said, Vaylin has not shown these capabilities and it is a crazy theory that is unlikely to be true. But eh, something to aimlessly think about while playing the alts through KOTFE. And no, I do not expect this to be true.

Crazy conspiracy theory, but I theorize that Vaylin is not as dumb as we are led to believe. Might just be because I have had to watch the scenes too many times and read too much into them... But, crazy idea time...

What if every time she 'killed' a knight, she actually was incapacitating them and secreting them away? Preparing to revolt against Arcann so Vaylin could seize the thrown. Yes, we do see her kill some knights. Though, it could all be faked, especially with power like hers. Force illusions, mental incapacitate via blood vessels, mind wipes, etc etc.

That said, Vaylin has not shown these capabilities and it is a crazy theory that is unlikely to be true. But eh, something to aimlessly think about while playing the alts through KOTFE. And no, I do not expect this to be true.

It is crazy because this would require Vaylin breaking the fourth wall and acknowledging the player is there and to trick us. We've seen her alone and still do stupid and crazy actions, unless she knows the player is watching, she isn't acting.

I don't think Vaylin is in any position to talk considering she's been killing Knights for the same and pettier reasons since her introduction: She's killed some to even out an odd number that she herself created.

Did anyone else notice that Arcann and Vaylin's eyes were becoming red?

I noticed that, but I thought I might have been imagining it. I can't say I'm surprised that they're both stockpiling Dark Side Points.

Two possibilities:

One, she's crazy, but not THAT crazy. She's outright murdered at least 9 Knights, but that's a comparatively small number to half their army of force users.

Two, and more likely after a second play? Since she outright enjoyed Taris-ing five planets, and her own history of killing her own soldiers... maybe the objection isn't to the plan but the order. In 3-9, the Vaylin/Arcann relationship was very friendly, compassionate even. They're brother and sister, and they love each other in their own strange way.

But the Halving? Arcann makes it explicit, it's an ORDER. He doesn't want any lip from her, he doesn't want to hear her objections or any alternate plans she might have, he wants it done, and she should just shut up and be a good little subordinate and get it done.

Compare that to earlier, in 3-8, when after Arcann vents about the Outlander's escape, he pulls back and says that he's not blaming her. In that scene, they treat each other as equals, siblings. In that last scene, he's in charge and she should remember that.

It's a nice development. It's just been done way, way too quick and too sharp a turn.

Two possibilities:

One, she's crazy, but not THAT crazy. She's outright murdered at least 9 Knights, but that's a comparatively small number to half their army of force users.

Two, and more likely after a second play? Since she outright enjoyed Taris-ing five planets, and her own history of killing her own soldiers... maybe the objection isn't to the plan but the order. In 3-9, the Vaylin/Arcann relationship was very friendly, compassionate even. They're brother and sister, and they love each other in their own strange way.

But the Halving? Arcann makes it explicit, it's an ORDER. He doesn't want any lip from her, he doesn't want to hear her objections or any alternate plans she might have, he wants it done, and she should just shut up and be a good little subordinate and get it done.

Compare that to earlier, in 3-8, when after Arcann vents about the Outlander's escape, he pulls back and says that he's not blaming her. In that scene, they treat each other as equals, siblings. In that last scene, he's in charge and she should remember that.

It's a nice development. It's just been done way, way too quick and too sharp a turn.

I agree. I think the one thing Vaylin fears and hates above all else is being controlled or limited again like what Valkorion did to her because she showed to much promise.

Look at her face when Arcann gives the order to have the Knights duel to the death, then again when he barks that it's an order. She's initially "lolwut", then ticked.

I agree that she probably doesn't like being ordered around. Or maybe she's starting to realize that maybe she and big bro are going too far.

Look at her face when Arcann gives the order to have the Knights duel to the death, then again when he barks that it's an order. She's initially "lolwut", then ticked.

I agree that she probably doesn't like being ordered around. Or maybe she's starting to realize that maybe she and big bro are going too far.

Maybe that block Valkorion placed took a bit of her own personality away as well, and as she 'spreads her wings' she is starting to get it back.