The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What Happened to Orange Drop Items?

DashaAdair

I just started again after a three year break. I have not seen any of the orange drops I used to see when going through things like flashpoints and missions. I have a couple from the story, but I seemed to recall a fair amount of moddable gear dropping while going through missions. That is one of the things I really enjoyed about doing missions was seeing an orange item drop. Has something significantly changed?

I would be curious why someone might not want that to drop if that is the case.

I just started again after a three year break. I have not seen any of the orange drops I used to see when going through things like flashpoints and missions. I have a couple from the story, but I seemed to recall a fair amount of moddable gear dropping while going through missions. That is one of the things I really enjoyed about doing missions was seeing an orange item drop. Has something significantly changed?

I would be curious why someone might not want that to drop if that is the case.

I know orange world drops are still working. I got one yesterday killing some random elite in Balmorra.

He's asking for specific drops which were mission rewards for main quests and guaranteed drops from flashpoint bosses. Both were removed as of 4.0. None of them are in game anymore (If you had some prior to 4.0 you got to keep them, otherwise no), so the only orange drops are rarer and come random strong-elite-champion mobs.

Kill a ton of them, and maybe get rewarded with 1 ugly looking or completely useless piece of orange gear every 50-10-200 kills.

I'd also like to know what in the name of 9 hells happened to all the orange gear vendor that were on the planets. It's like they all upped and disappeared.

Really forcing players into the whole box stuff which is really annoying.

Miss some of the old mission rewards and some of the stuff you could buy at certain places then upgrade.

I'd also like to know what in the name of 9 hells happened to all the orange gear vendor that were on the planets. It's like they all upped and disappeared.

Miss some of the old mission rewards and some of the stuff you could buy at certain places then upgrade.

If you were getting gear that way, then you weren't buying it on the CM.

Much of the gear from many vendors left in 4.0, at the same time as a massive CM overhaul, which still isn't working since they keep messing with the CM every month.

It was all removed with 4.0 so that it could be added to the Grand packs in the cartel market to help boost sales. Shortly after launching the Grand packs they realized it was cutting into the regular pack sales, so they removed the Grand packs off the market and only bring them it on rare occasions for a few days. It's really slimy that they removed gear from the game for this purpose, and it leads us to no option other than to buy packs.

Still drop as said, I don't get as many as I used too and think I have only had 1 single purple drop (gear that is not gifts) since 4.0, but guess that still counts as dropping for artefact gear as well.

The other day one of my peeps was doing the Rishi story and dropped a purple drop...

An R5-magenta companion gift!

Lot of misinformation spread here... the orange gear from FP bosses and planetary commendation vendors were removed, but they were not added to the cartel market to boost sales. They were added to the crafting as shells. Pick up the appropriate crafting skill and craft the shells yourself.

Q & A session link - Here they explain the changes to the orange gear from vendor, scroll down to Planetary comm equipment. Also encouraged to submit to community team if you find any of the old comm armor shell to be unavailable in any form.

Edited by Karudan

Some of them were moved to blue crafted gear - which, since we have outfit designer, means they are still available for cosmetic purposes.

The main hand and visible off-hand gear is not available to be applied cosmetically through outfit designer, though, which is a shame.

There's still plenty of ways to get moddable gear outside of Cartel Market:

- Crafting

- KotFE storyline rewards

- Endgame vendors (these are purple, not orange)

- Reputation vendors

- Legacy vendors

- Alliance lockboxes

If you wanted a specific look that was available on planetary vendors, I can sympathize. Do check TOR Fashion for similar-looking pieces though, as truly unique looks are extremely rare.

You can get a full set of moddable gear at level 8 from your fleet, so if you're looking for orange drops because you want moddable gear, have no fear. It's cheap. You'll probably have enough crystals to buy it the instant you show up on the fleet, if you've done most of the quests on your starter planet.

If you're looking for the appearances given by orange armor, as previously said, most of it is craftable now by Armormech or Synthweaving.

Personally, I prefer the changes. It makes those things much easier to acquire.

I wish they'd add weapons to the outfit designer, though - And I wish the old crafting schematics were still available on the trainers.

Forced? Really?

If you want moddable gear at low levels, go to the level 8 vendor (has all but moddable shield for Shadow/Assassin). Equip, mod as desired, put desired appearance on costume designer tab(s). Done (for all but weapons and aforementioned shield).

There's still plenty of ways to get moddable gear outside of Cartel Market:

- Crafting

- KotFE storyline rewards

- Endgame vendors (these are purple, not orange)

- Reputation vendors

- Legacy vendors

- Alliance lockboxes

If you wanted a specific look that was available on planetary vendors, I can sympathize. Do check TOR Fashion for similar-looking pieces though, as truly unique looks are extremely rare.

You missed out:

- Level 8 equipment vendor on Fleet and capital world market areas.

... (Spin potentially used to cover up the fact that peple were just getting and using them instead of CM items)

there was something that seemed off about a few actions that have happened over the course of the last six months and i knew there was an angle I hadnt considered. this was it. thanks.

Really hate the end game vendors are all rare. I mean for goodness sake, the standard crystal vendor end game should be orange, so people who are f2p can atleast have something competitive.

Then again, F2P can't level past 50 either(*), and blue modifications requiring level 48 are available through crafting. Anyone serious enough about endgame to care about gearing up should consider subbing for one month at least and getting the artifact equipment authorization.

(*)Well, it seems to still be possible to purchase RotHC and SoR expansions for 17 €, but why would you when a 13 € subscription for one month gets you all expansions plus 500 cartel coins?