The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Episode VIII Speculation

PSVEindhoven

So.

I guess we have all seen The Force Awakens now. No matter if you liked or hated the film, you should probably already have an idea about how this trilogy is going to end. And that's what I would like to do in this topic: speculate about Episode VIII and perhaps IX!

So, how do you think VIII will continue? Will Luke train Rey? What's going to happen with Finn? How will Kylo behave in the next film?

Rey is Luke's daughter, Ren will now have a reason to wear the mask, there will be some more struggling Rey will kill Ren, or Ren will throw Snoke down a big shaft in a last moment epiphany. Take your pick.

Either way... that's that.

I will hate Luke forever if he turns out to be her father. He handed her over as a young child to someone who holds her as a slave. She wants to get out, but can barely earn enough to live off of from this person. Clearly, she was trained in piloting, so I am not exactly sure how all her backstory comes together.

She was given to what's his name, the junk dealer when she was around 10ish. You can see him in the flashback holding her. Or at least someone who looks a lot like him. Yet for some reason, he taught her how to fly? Even though in the film, she clearly feels indebted to him, and won't leave until attacked.

So I think she was not a slave like Anakin was, but was held there by something a lot more than gratitude. So Luke gave her to this person, who has no family ties because he is crying that his first apprentice turned bad? But wait, the timing doesn't work for that either. Rey and Darth Emo are about the same age. So assuming he didn't turn dark until he was at least 18, she would have been 16 when she was abandoned.

I hope they don't make Luke her father. I really, really hope they don't. I have always liked Luke. I don't want to hate him now.

Or even knew he had a daughter, much like Anakin didn't know he had children.

Granted we never knew who Luke & Leia's mother was until the prequels started, but in the case that Rey is Luke's daughter she'll undoubtedly want to know who her mother is, and so will we. Which leads to a potential problem of introducing a new character and creating a backstory for her with an off screen romance between Luke & whomever she is, that leads to Rey's conception.

I will hate Luke forever if he turns out to be her father. He handed her over as a young child to someone who holds her as a slave. She wants to get out, but can barely earn enough to live off of from this person. Clearly, she was trained in piloting, so I am not exactly sure how all her backstory comes together.

She was given to what's his name, the junk dealer when she was around 10ish. You can see him in the flashback holding her. Or at least someone who looks a lot like him. Yet for some reason, he taught her how to fly? Even though in the film, she clearly feels indebted to him, and won't leave until attacked.

So I think she was not a slave like Anakin was, but was held there by something a lot more than gratitude. So Luke gave her to this person, who has no family ties because he is crying that his first apprentice turned bad? But wait, the timing doesn't work for that either. Rey and Darth Emo are about the same age. So assuming he didn't turn dark until he was at least 18, she would have been 16 when she was abandoned.

I hope they don't make Luke her father. I really, really hope they don't. I have always liked Luke. I don't want to hate him now.

Ok I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Rey was not a slave of any kind nor was she left with who you are thinking she was left with.

In the scene of her as a child being left on Jakku, the man she's left with speaks and that is the voice of Max Von Sydow. Max is playing Lor San Tekka, the old man on Jakku with the map fragment.

Lor's backstory is of an explorer and member of the Church of the Force, he joined the church during the Clone Wars. During the Imperial reign he explored the galaxy, searching for Jedi lore to keep it from being destroyed by the Empire. His knowledge became very useful to the New Republic's rebuilding after the Battle of Endor. He also worked closely with Luke in Luke's search for any Jedi lore. Later he retired to a spiritual village on Jakku where of course in time he found a map fragment, the rest we saw.

Back to Rey now, growing up on a planet that is basically a ship junk yard, she naturally got into scavenging which was useful sense that's the only thing to do for work on Jakku. The guy she sells her junk to is Unkar Plutt and no he is not a slaver he is just the only junk dealer on the planet.

She did not have any interest in getting out because she was still holding on to her little girl idea that her family will come back and she needs to be there when they do. Maz Kanata helps her realize what she already knew, that it was never going to happen that way and it was time to move on to what will make the reunion happen.

Granted we never knew who Luke & Leia's mother was until the prequels started, but in the case that Rey is Luke's daughter she'll undoubtedly want to know who her mother is, and so will we. Which leads to a potential problem of introducing a new character and creating a backstory for her with an off screen romance between Luke & whomever she is, that leads to Rey's conception.

keep in mind, you say problem, but disney may hear "oppertunity" so far the evidance we've seen suggests Disney has a differnt idea for SW (one more in tune with what fans want) then Lucas. for Lucas Star Wars was "just a set of movies and later a TV show" the EU, which was a multimedia franchise etc. was there but Lucas mostly ignored it.

Disney however, seems to have really embraced this, and seems to have an eye towards making SW a multimedia blockbuster. the movies will work for most people, but the hard core fans will be given, books, comics video games etc, all to fill those holes in. thus a book could filll in the critical details on Luke and "ReyMom's" relationship.

In the scene of her as a child being left on Jakku, the man she's left with speaks and that is the voice of Max Von Sydow. Max is playing Lor San Tekka, the old man on Jakku with the map fragment.

No, she's left with Unkar Plutt in that scene.

As for VIII, I think it'll show the Jedi training of Rey, she will face Kylo Ren at the end of the film, and tries to redeem him, which will fail again. Finn will lead Resistance forces together with Poe. This leads to a few battles. The end will be a major cliffhanger for IX, in which the First Order again has build a Death Star-like weapon in orbit around a forest moon. Snoke resides here now. Kylo will be redeemed to the Light and together with the now Jedi Knight Rey they will defeat Snoke, bringing peace to the galaxy.

thus a book could filll in the critical details on Luke and "ReyMom's" relationship.

That only works for fans of the franchise that go out and buy the books and other media that Star Wars stories are told in, but not for the ones who don't or even the casual film goers who'll see Episode 8 because they liked TFA enough to see the rest. The ones who don't/won't/can't get into the franchise beyond the movies, and they're the ones to keep in mind over things like this, not we the fans.

That only works for fans of the franchise that go out and buy the books and other media that Star Wars stories are told in, but not for the ones who don't or even the casual film goers who'll see Episode 8 because they liked TFA enough to see the rest. The ones who don't/won't/can't get into the franchise beyond the movies, and they're the ones to keep in mind over things like this, not we the fans.

except disney knows that the people who care about these details WILL buy it. consider the resistance, and political state of the galaxy, was outlined in products other then the movie. I'm suggesting that we'll get the details we need in the movie, and Disney will offer additional products that fill in the details that obsessive fans want.

Edited by BrianDavion