Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Something to legtimately complain about - No server forums

Imhotep

Folks please go to the thread linked in the OP. The lack of server forums is just a game breaking issue for many people as some of the bugs in game. It is tucked away in the community forums where it is not getting the exposure it deserves.

Because this needs attention

Because you want attention.

Yeah, what we need is 50+ more forums with you (and drama queens like you) posting the same stuff on each one. That'll help build community.

Or, we could keep the number of forums down and have the false sense that maybe a CS will actually read some of these "problems" the L33T players keep having.

I am in total agreement with this post. I would love to be able to browse my server forums @ work etc. I find that being able to chat with people I might actually play with is far more enjoyable than talking to the mass of idiots that lurk the general forums.

At least if I have a disagreement on my own server forums I can grief them in game...

I have to agree 100%.

I'm pretty picky about the guild I want to play in. And there is absolutely no way I will search through 200 pages of the general guild hall forum to try and find one on my server. Server forums are needed just for guilds alone.

Because you want attention.

Yeah, what we need is 50+ more forums with you (and drama queens like you) posting the same stuff on each one. That'll help build community.

Or, we could keep the number of forums down and have the false sense that maybe a CS will actually read some of these "problems" the L33T players keep having.

I really have to take issue with this.

Server forums actually promote insular "home" posting strategies among many forum savvy users. The people who are campaigning for them are players/posters who spend most of their time on the server forums communicating with their server. I can guarantee you that if we got server forums I'd be there, and on the class forums, and spend little time "trolling for attention" on the general forums. ;)

General IS the place for trolls btw. It's the biggest audience. That's why they congregate here. Server forums generally have LESS trolling than General or Off Topic forums.

I have no interest in trolling, or spamming, or posting on any server's forum but my own. I want to talk with the people I am going to be playing with and competing against. I want to read guild recruitment threads from guilds on my server, not the 49 other servers.

Do these forums need some condensing, or at the very least, some flattening? Absolutely. The existing server events and guild recruit forums are too deep and inconvenient to navigate. The server events forum is a wasteland. The PvE one has like 38 threads. That's less threads in an entire forum than a post in General gets views in moments. :p The guild recruitment is such a tangled mess that it is virtually impossible to locate a guild that meets your needs AND happens to be on your server.

Edited by qqemokitty

Communities are built around the spaces people occupy, whether that's virtually or physically. BioWare's decision not to have server forums is so unbelievably shortsighted that it beggars the imagination.

I believe the problem is that they are looking at the forums as a means for them to communicate with us, neglecting that the even more critical function of them is to allow us to communicate with one another.

Communities need spaces in which to thrive.

BioWare, this isn't an optional thing- you really don't get to make this choice in the long run. Your game will not thrive without strong communities feeling like they have an investment in the game and the people they play it with.

What would be the "rules" for posting on a server's forum?

Do you have to have a character on the server?

Does it have to be a certain level?

Does a forum post link all your characters and name to promote a healthy environment?

I can already see posts overrun by lvl 1 trolls and people sock-puppeting their own posts.

Does a forum post link all your characters and name to promote a healthy environment?

I can already see posts overrun by lvl 1 trolls and people sock-puppeting their own posts.

There haven't been tons of games which have implemented server forums successfully. These are not new questions and their answers are well-understood.

Do any of those rules exist on any of the forums? No. This is a totally nonsensical post. People in server forums don't need more accountability than people in other forums. We are all posting from one account, which may have little to do with our in game persona.

I stand by all the things I say. You are welcome to find Blix on the Harbinger to discuss it with me on most any evening in game. :)

That being said, I believe all of the forums are currently subscription only, and there will be far less general trolling once those who decide not to subscribe are gone.

This is silly. Every other mainstream MMO has server forums. They essentially police themselves. People get to know each other, because they play together. People who troll get run off or ignored. It works well, I've seen it and so have many others. The bottom line is they don't need special 'rules' because the trolls don't have any fun there because everyone else knows each other. It's really very simple and I can't think of any reason not to have it.