Let's talk about... new companions!

Tune

So, to start, i must say i never expected so many new companions. So many people saying we would never get any new companion, and here we got a hand full of it. I know, they are not class unique, and half of them (star fortress one's), dont really have much story behind them, but we still got new ones, with important role, and we get to play with Lana and Theron as companion, like many people asked.

Now, my issue is: the new affection system, got 50 ranks, and even with the new gifts ranks, is still plenty. Now, i would be ok with it, could get them all to rank 50, in due time, but... what will happen when KotFE story ends? Do we get to keep them all? Only some? Do we keep our old ones, and maybe one of the new ones?

Considering how much those new rank gifts sell in GTN, and how many of each you need for each companion, and then imagine you will lose them (like we lost all affection we had before), i dont think i want to waste so many gifts, in companions that in some months will be gone.

I had all companions max affection with 7 chars, before 4.0, and to lose them all, seems like a waste of gifts/credits.

Is there even an achievement to get rank 50 with each companion? I could be persuaded to do it just for the achievement, if anyone can confirm it. If not, i will do it on those i know we wont lose, like ship droid, treek, hk-51, and Nico. Others... well, whats the point?

In beta it was possible for players to lose a companion because of story choices, Bioware had to remove it because it was possible for a player to gimp himself by losing their only healing or tanking companion.

However the side effect of this is the story content became less impactful, the player rarely gets the feeling that their choice impacts the story.

So Bioware did two things (1) they made it so each companion could fill all the needed roles (tank, healer, or DPS) and (2) they added a virtual army of companions for you to care about.

Personally I think Bioware is taking the SWTOR story to place like what we saw in the ending of Mass Effect 2 were your choices actually kills off companions. So yes based on how well you level your influence with them and the choices you make you may lose some of them as the KOTFE story line continues.

Welcome to story driven endgame.

~8 words: EA will put companion customizations in CM soon.

Prepare your credit cards.

The worst part is, most if not all of those customizations will be varying degrees of:

"EW!"

"AAAAAAGH! What the heck is that!"

"O.o... Run Away!!!!!"

"They honestly expect me to want to kiss that?!?"

:p

In beta it was possible for players to lose a companion because of story choices, Bioware had to remove it because it was possible for a player to gimp himself by losing their only healing or tanking companion.

However the side effect of this is the story content became less impactful, the player rarely gets the feeling that their choice impacts the story.

So Bioware did two things (1) they made it so each companion could fill all the needed roles (tank, healer, or DPS) and (2) they added a virtual army of companions for you to care about.

Personally I think Bioware is taking the SWTOR story to place like what we saw in the ending of Mass Effect 2 were your choices actually kills off companions. So yes based on how well you level your influence with them and the choices you make you may lose some of them as the KOTFE story line continues.

Welcome to story driven endgame.

Problem is, that the Mass Effect series handled companions very differently than this game. In ME1 everybody lives minus the one left on Virmire and before that you actually have to recruit all of them in order to progress the story since they're part of the main quest. In ME2 there was the loyalty system. A very simple mechanic which served a double purpose: exploring the background of the companions (Similar to the vanilla companion stories here) and making sure they were "loyal" during the final mission. Which is kind of stupid, because they're already loyal since they willingly decided to follow you to hell and back, but they just die if you forget to do their mission. Perhaps BW should have thought about a different name. Also, if you actually remembered to do the loyalty quests, there were only 1 per companion, so not that much of a hassle. In ME3, if memory serves right, the recruitable companions are mandatory, but the others aren't. Still, it's a different approach for the same loyalty thing of ME2. If you visit a certain former ME2 companion at the Grissom Academy for example, said person survives, if not you encounter said person later in the game as an indoctrinated phantom and you're actually the one to kill said person. Same goes for the other one in the hospital, etc. There are a couple of situations where you can actually decide to shoot a former companion or not, but your decision matters only up to a certain point in story.

Here is different. If you can't be bothered to read all the above, the shorter version is this: There is no way in hell BW can replicate the loyalty thing from ME2 and the random/optional former companion encounters in ME3, especially if they follow the logic "The higher the affection > The higher the chances for companion xyz to survive". There are way too many of them to level up to influence lv50, and not everyone has the time or the ingame money to invest in such aspect of the game.

Even if you count only the main story ones (Lana, Theron, Koth, HK-55, Senya, Scorpio, Kaliyo < Chapter X), without counting the 6 optional companions tied to Star Fortress story arc and the original 6 vanilla companions, it's too much for almost everyone.

And BW can't afford to anger their players even more if one of their favorite companion dies just because they didn't manage to level up influence all the way up to lv50. I mean, it would be interesting to see? Sure. Choices would indeed matter as they claim in the promotional materials they have on the website, but starting to kill people off because players may not have the time or the resources to sink into a gameplay mechanic would be beyond stupid.

BW can't afford to anger their players even more if one of their favorite companion dies just because they didn't manage to level up influence all the way up to lv50..

Maybe the point is to focuse on your favorite companions .....you have months before the last chapter ...get to work saving those companions ....LOL

So what your saying is players want more impactful stories but don't want any penalties? ... and I want to eat pizza and chocolate cake every night and not get fat.

Edited by LogunOne

Maybe the point is to focuse on your favorite companions .....you have months before the last chapter ...get to work saving those companions ....LOL

So what your saying is players want more impactful stories but don't want any penalties? ... and I want to eat pizza and chocolate cake every night and not get fat.

Depends on what kind of pizza you eat. My selfe, i like with tuna and pineapple, and i dont get fat with that. I get fat by sitting hours playing...

So, now for serious, increase affection with companions increases the chances they will survive KotFE end? And that means they will remain with us? Coz, survive and leave is pretty much the same. And that works for all companions? Or just the star fortress ones? I dont see that being the case for Lana or Theron, since i bet we will need to see them in future stories, unless this is the last expansion...

So many questions, could use some light here...

Using grifts gotten in game is fine as well its free. I totally disagree with gifts been in cartel packs because as you said you may and probably will lose some or most of these companions in story.

So my advice is just level the few you really use. If you do lose them at least while you had them they were at there best.

If after KotFE we still have all or most companions well then level the affection.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

If people are stupid, there is nothing to do. Because as soon as one of the companion dies without their "approval" (Like the yellow thing in this story) they will revolt because it's not fair, but if you kill their vanilla companions they will revolt even more because they will say virgins crap like "I've created a bond with my virtual waifu and I don't want to lose her, plus I spent real world $$ to dress her as Leia so that we can ERP the movie scenes". Yes, people are that stupid.

I'm not attached to any companion except for Skadge so even if they put them all in a room and nuke the **** out of them with a bomb, I couldn't care less.

I'm all for people having their favourites, and wanting them back, but Skadge?!? Seriously?!?

Personally, I'm mostly content to wait and see what the next few chapters have in store. I think it's a bit weird that I can't take 5 minutes to put a call out on the cortex or holoweb or whatever to my wife to tell her I'm alive, but maybe she's got a new holocom and didn't bother to keep the old number.

I find the companions very prudish why would anyone want to not be able to put custom armor on their companion both the new female companions have horrible looking armor as a Subscriber I should be able to choose how I want my companion to look . I am paying to play....and if I want my companion to look like a dance hall tramp then so be it..

it is my money that I am spending to play this game...

Depends on what kind of pizza you eat. My selfe, i like with tuna and pineapple, and i dont get fat with that. I get fat by sitting hours playing....

Tuna? Uhhh....no....you're doing it wrong. It's Canadian bacon & pineapple. :D

2 words: No customization

My #1 issue with KotFE companions. And that b.s. customization slot they THINK I'ma spend money on...they got tha game ****ed up. I've spent way to much unlocking armor sets in collections to accept that ****.

Tuna? Uhhh....no....you're doing it wrong. It's Canadian bacon & pineapple. :D

Pineapple? It's a pizza, not a pudding. People are strange.

My #1 issue with KotFE companions. And that b.s. customization slot they THINK I'ma spend money on...they got tha game ****ed up. I've spent way to much unlocking armor sets in collections to accept that ****.

Even if they bring out a customization that makes Lana look hot, or at least stops her looking like she's got a permanent cold?

Companions.

All generic side kicks and a shallow version of what they were in the past. Even the more interesting ones turned into generic crap that are as mediocre as a Ron Popiel device of set them and forget them.

One of the more disappointing changes kotfe brought. 23 or so companions and not a single one worth caring about and not a single one interesting or unique like we used to have all so BW can sell the phrase, "use any of them you want."

Cause at the end of the day there all the same.

Companions.

All generic side kicks and a shallow version of what they were in the past. Even the more interesting ones turned into generic crap that are as mediocre as a Ron Popiel device of set them and forget them.

One of the more disappointing changes kotfe brought. 23 or so companions and not a single one worth caring about and not a single one interesting or unique like we used to have all so BW can sell the phrase, "use any of them you want."

There is still one to care about. Skadge still have that hilarious quote if he fails a crew skill mission. "Bah, I got bored. Do it yourself".

Even if they bring out a customization that makes Lana look hot, or at least stops her looking like she's got a permanent cold?

Given their track record with cusomizations, they are more likely to come out with a Lana with hot pink Leia braids, camo makeup and lots of jagged scares than to create anything the majority of players would consider "hot". And she would still have the stuffy nose.

Companions.

This is how I feel about it too, but, it's for that reason I don't care about custom slots for all the generic puppets.

I'm waiting till all the chapters are finished to take my mains through KOTFE so I can get my main companions back straight away. You can get to 65 so fast doing any other activity, so there no problem there.

I ran the free 60 and a couple of crafting alts through the story to check it out and its really nice and all, but I have no problem waiting with the others to keep my complete crew together in the meantime. :)

Edited by JennyCharmers