Black hair?

Axcalion

And the "black" color does indeed look quite black on the original hairstyles. But those released through the cartel market just look greenish, especially in well-lit places.

This :( its especially noticible when your char is wearing armor that has black dye in it :(

Nice sooty black armor, ashy greyish or greenish black hair depending on which of the two "black" hair options you pick for the CM hairs.

Game settings versus graphics card/monitor settings: If your game hair looks right but the screenshot from someone else's game looks wrong, it's not their card or monitor. I mean, you are looking at their screenshot on the same monitor you look at your game with, right?

your game -> your graphics card -> your monitor

versus

their game -> screen shot.jpg -> your browser -> your graphics card -> your monitor

So if your black hair looks right but the greenie screenie does not, post your screenshot and we should be able to see the difference. Then it's just a matter of finding out what game settings make it so. It appears to be a shot of the character creation screen, jedi knight, human, female, 2, 7, 1, 9, 3, 12, 48, 10, 23.

Now, if you are saying that the greenish screenshot posted in this thread looks black, then that's a matter of graphics card and monitor settings.

Actually it does. I put black/black dye pack on my lvl 40 PvP Jug gear and it has a green hue to it. My friends would verify that it was showing this green hue/tint to it. The original color was purple. I put black secondary pack in Lana's gear for my Sorc and it had the same thing again it was verified by friends of mine.

I submitted a ticket to CS about this and they said 'it was because of lighting/shading. When I reopened the now closed ticket, I referenced the 2 black CM armor that is all black and they don't show a green hue/tint no matter the light. Their answer, 'we'll investigate it.' That was more than a year ago. The problem is the dye pack. They won't do anything to fix it. They don't care.

Nope. I've used the secondary black dye pack on the Casual Jedi robe (name is something like that) and the secondary areas turn absolutely pitch black. As others have pointed out, almost all these issues are due to graphical settings players are using. In your own case it sounds like it may be something due to the specific gear you are loading the pack into although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was simply suggestion bias when you are asking friends if it looks greenish, especially if it is getting impacted by ambient lighting.

I'm not wasting money on something the developers should fix.

If there is pure black clothing (which I can see perfectly fine), why not pure black hair?!

I can get pure black hair as well as clothing. Your graphics setting issues =/= something devs need to fix.

Old hair styles + hair color 10 = black

Cartel market hair styles + hair color 10 = black

Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM IPS monitor

I'm using Dell's ICC profile for this monitor if I remember correctly. So it's almost calibrated correctly, would require a device to get exact calibration. But Dell's profile has been good enough for me.

Is there something in game settings/files that can break it?

Yes, color in your pic looks greenish so there must be something wrong somewhere.

Edited by Halinalle

Nope. I've used the secondary black dye pack on the Casual Jedi robe (name is something like that) and the secondary areas turn absolutely pitch black. As others have pointed out, almost all these issues are due to graphical settings players are using. In your own case it sounds like it may be something due to the specific gear you are loading the pack into although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was simply suggestion bias when you are asking friends if it looks greenish, especially if it is getting impacted by ambient lighting.

When I first used decided to use Black/Black I previewed it on my level 40 pvp gear. It was completely black. No hint of anything. After installing it, it was then that I noticed the green tint. I thought it was just me. However, when I logged out to the character screen it showed up more so there.

I took screen shots of that, my character in-game and the preview of it. Put them side by side, screen shot that and uploaded it so they could see it. When I asked people how my armor looked, I didn't tell them it what was there...they told me. 'It has a green tint to it, you sure your using black/black dye pack?' This was from 15 other people in our operation part sitting outside of the mission we were about to launch into.

Today, I'm using a GTX 980 4gig graphics card with the latest NVIDA updated driver with my settings to max. I still see the green tint if I use that armor. It does not happen on other gear, just certain gear that has dark purple or green in it from what I've seen. There is a problem there, whether or not BW can see it or fix it is another thing. Hell, they can't even fix existing bugs or stop causing them to reappear with every new update. I simply gave up on it and moved on.

New cartel market hair = lighter shade on every colour.

If you want a deep black then you have to choose one of the original hair options.

Saying there is no black hair options is incorrect, just the majority of the new cartel haircuts makes every colour lighter.

Well that is suckish and they should fix it.

All the old hairstyles for females basically suck or are rubbish.

#10 is dark green on my monitor.

There's is one option that looks more black but it's actually dark grey.

I made some quick screenshots on my sorc, who has black hair with one of the old hairstyles and dyed double black clothing, the lighting in the pics are kind of poor so apologies. This is with bloom on. I dont think the hair looks out of place against the dark clothing.

http://i.imgur.com/ro0yO6e.jpg

This one is maybe a better pic, at least to demonstrate the difference between shading on old hair vs new hair.

http://i.imgur.com/4nXTHaf.jpg

The new hairstyle Is obviously a lot lighter in shade, and now gone very green in shade, despite both being #10 on the slider.

As for the slight green tint present regardless, I dont know if you realise this but as an artist, to highlight deep black hair, you often need to use a different colour than gray, as gray quickly makes your naked eye start to see the entire piece as deep gray and not "black with gray highlights for definition".

To do this you need to make the highlights a different colour altogether than black but done in a subtle way, usually one would use a dark blue to highlight black, SWTOR team has highlighted their black hair with a dark green in this case, but TLDR there is a method to the madness by. the SWTOR art team here.

The only real problem is the new cartel market hairstyles lighten the shade of all colours on the slider, and makes #10 "black" suffer for it in particular.

When I first used decided to use Black/Black I previewed it on my level 40 pvp gear. It was completely black. No hint of anything. After installing it, it was then that I noticed the green tint. I thought it was just me. However, when I logged out to the character screen it showed up more so there.

I took screen shots of that, my character in-game and the preview of it. Put them side by side, screen shot that and uploaded it so they could see it. When I asked people how my armor looked, I didn't tell them it what was there...they told me. 'It has a green tint to it, you sure your using black/black dye pack?' This was from 15 other people in our operation part sitting outside of the mission we were about to launch into.

Today, I'm using a GTX 980 4gig graphics card with the latest NVIDA updated driver with my settings to max. I still see the green tint if I use that armor. It does not happen on other gear, just certain gear that has dark purple or green in it from what I've seen. There is a problem there, whether or not BW can see it or fix it is another thing. Hell, they can't even fix existing bugs or stop causing them to reappear with every new update. I simply gave up on it and moved on.

Yeah, it certainly sounds like something is off for some gear options. I'm no graphic artist, so I don't recall the terms, but I've read many Skyrim modders talking about issues with different armour sets having underlying colour tints buried in some layer or other that makes changes look very different to others. At this point the only recourse would be to report the armour sets in question and look for similar options that don't have the tinting effect.

I read your post like five times and I don't understand the purpose of it.

There is clearly a consensus that the newer hairstyles released through the cartel market are greenish/grey-ish and not black.

My post was directed at people who seemed to disagree and were blaming your monitor, I was suggesting they post a screenshot that they think looks black in the new hairstyle. Don't worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah this is very annoying. It definitely has a green hue to it, no doubt about it. Here is some old hairs, with the new ones from the cartel market. Bring back black! :mad:

http://imgur.com/a/tMA63

Just check the beard black for your confirmation. It stays the same across all hairs, and is true black. That greenish hue sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Undahill
Add more info