The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Appearance option: Aging and more detailed facial features

Yhekal

Dear Devs, :i_wink:

People had been asking for the character aging option/more detailed facial features, since the 2011.. Bioware, please tell us that You will finally take action.

The head and faces we can use, had remained unchanged since the launch of the game and I'm sure many people are tired of using the same 2-3 faces for their characters (the rest of the faces is just ugly - imho). Let's add some more depth to this! Especially with the KOTFE NPCs - they are nicely designed, with much detail put to their facial features. With my character, in comparison, I feel like a poor cousin..

A lot of NPCs have the 'aging' customization in-game already, so it should not be difficult to provide players this opiton. Pretty please???? :sul_angel:

Some samples below of more detailed facial features:

Sample 1

Sample 2 - with cool facial hair

Sample 3

(Chiss) Sample 4

Sample 5 (with cool sideboards)

Sample 6

Sample 7

Thank You in advance,

May the Force be with You! :csw_jabba:

Edited by Yhekal

Upvoted. Would love to see some age-diversity in the character creation.

Yeah, I know, a padawan in their 50s, but there are RP ways around that, and we have an appearance changer for a reason. I wouldn't mind adding a few lines to a character's face when they finish their class story.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Every time I see Shae Vizla and Hylo Visz, I cry a little inside because we can't use any of the subtle aging marks on the face like theirs.

Yeah, same. Really, why can't NPCs and Players pull from the same customization options? Plus, there are many older players that would like to add wrinkles to their characters.

• 3 months later...

I really hope that the aging customization will be implemented soon. There were so many threads created about this over the years, so many people want richer appearance options for their chars...

Wrinkles (and more subtle versions of them) are already in-game, used by many npcs. Is it this hard to provide this feature to players? I don't know, maybe it is, prove me wrong. At the first glance it seems not that complicated. At least it should be much easier than creating something brand new from scratch.

Have a nice day All!

Couple of comments:

1. NPCs are more statically designed therefore the artists and animators have more freedom to put those touches in place. Player Characters need to be more dynamic and therefore are generally more limited.

2. Shae and Hylo are newer models and over the course of time the artists and animators improve there techniques. However they do not have sufficient resources to go back and redo EVERY model with the same improved techniques. The same thing happened in WoW with the worgen and goblin races - there design was much improved but the rest of the races remained the same. It took Blizzard several more years to improve the rest of the races' appearances.

So have patience, it may happen some day, but do not expect it anytime soon

Edited by psandak

• 3 weeks later...
Couple of comments:

1. NPCs are more statically designed therefore the artists and animators have more freedom to put those touches in place. Player Characters need to be more dynamic and therefore are generally more limited.

2. Shae and Hylo are newer models and over the course of time the artists and animators improve there techniques. However they do not have sufficient resources to go back and redo EVERY model with the same improved techniques.

Sorry, but no. The wrinkles and lines on NPCs, and I suspect Shae and Hylo, are probably done on a separate layer as the skin texture using the exact same engine we create our characters with, just with options we don't have. All the devs would have to do is add some options to the "complexion" layer in character creation.

If they really wanted to get fancy, they might do a specular layer to make the little lines and ridges affected by lighting, but I'm not sure if that would interfere with the scars later, which does the same thing.

I would certainly like more detail freedom. It is kind of, what's the word... odd? In some KOTFE cutscenes, when your outdated-cartoony-face toon is stacked up against 3-5 NPCs who all have details you can't have, making them look more photo-realistic.

In fact, I would be ok if some of the detail was stuff that only showed up in cutscenes. As it is, I think detail already differs a little in cutscene vs. not in cutscene, even for player character.

• 2 weeks later...