The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who loves Darth Maul?

Strive-US

My biggest hangup with Maul is that, in the Clone Wars show, his transition to galactic crime-lord felt like it came out of left field.

To be fair, it's not like Ep. I gave us much indication about his personality at all. It's just that generally, in fiction, if you're not given some cues to indicate that a character is particularly cunning or ambitious, you don't tend to infer those qualities in the character.

I guess I took his lack of characterization to indicate that he wasn't much more than an enforcer - a menacing presence, dogged hunter, and lethal combatant... and that was about it. If someone else saw that lack of characterization and took him as a blank slate, onto which you could project all kinds of Sithy coolness, then I imagine it might have been a smoother transition when he came back as an aspiring power-player.

I thought Maul made for a great enforcer / 'dragon'-type character in Episode I - a great visual design, good mystique, and great physicality. I thought he made a passable evil overlord in the Clone Wars when taking that arc in isolation. But I never felt the two connected - they might as well have been separate characters entirely.

Spoilers for Son of Dathomir comic:

And I was really underwhelmed by the Son of Dathomir comic. Making him Mother Talzin's son felt... trite. And having him survive at the end seemed like they missed their chance to give him a proper ending for the sake of "he's popular, so we might want to bring him back later to increase sales on [Product X]" - even though if he does reappear again it's probably just going to feel more like a shoe-horned-in stunt at every turn.

I also wish he had kept the spider legs, but I imagine those must have been a nightmare to animate :p

Edited by DarthDymond

Tbh I think he is a fairly over rated character. He was supposed to be a disposable foil for the story BUT they made him in such a way that he clearly appeals to the style over substance crowd. This created a dedicated base of fanbois which then resulted in the hack job that it him into clone wars.

My biggest hangup with Maul is that, in the Clone Wars show, his transition to galactic crime-lord felt like it came out of left field.

To be fair, it's not like Ep. I gave us much indication about his personality at all. It's just that generally, in fiction, if you're not given some cues to indicate that a character is particularly cunning or ambitious, you don't tend to infer those qualities in the character.

I guess I took his lack of characterization to indicate that he wasn't much more than an enforcer - a menacing presence, dogged hunter, and lethal combatant... and that was about it. If someone else saw that lack of characterization and took him as a blank slate, onto which you could project all kinds of Sithy coolness, then I imagine it might have been a smoother transition when he came back as an aspiring power-player.

I thought Maul made for a great enforcer / 'dragon'-type character in Episode I - a great visual design, good mystique, and great physicality.

That is essentially what his character was in EP 1, he was that hidden warrior to reveal himself to the Jedi to mark the return of the Sith.

Hence why Phantom Menace

Tbh I think he is a fairly over rated character. He was supposed to be a disposable foil for the story BUT they made him in such a way that he clearly appeals to the style over substance crowd. This created a dedicated base of fanbois which then resulted in the hack job that it him into clone wars.

+1

/chars

There's nothing wrong with a character having a strong visual impact.

Hell, it's the only reason anyone gave Boba Fett the time of day.

There's nothing wrong with a character having a strong visual impact. Hell, it's the only reason anyone gave Boba Fett the time of day.

I was just about to mention Boba Fett. ;)

Boba and Maul were both pretty much useless in the movies they appeared in, but they looked impressive enough that some people liked them and asked for more. Boba Fett even had the cojones to tell Lord Vader he needs Solo alive! That would have been suicide for almost anyone else, seeing how Vader handles "human relations" in general.

I was just about to mention Boba Fett. ;)

Boba and Maul were both pretty much useless in the movies they appeared in, but they looked impressive enough that some people liked them and asked for more. Boba Fett even had the cojones to tell Lord Vader he needs Solo alive! That would have been suicide for almost anyone else, seeing how Vader handles "human relations" in general.

I once called Darth Maul the "Boba Fett of the prequals"

Maul absolutely sucks at fighting. If he was good at it he wouldn't finish his career cut in half by a rookie who is totally at his mercy. :p

Nah, the fight was over by then Maul was just show boating. But it's better than jetpacking right into the guy wielding a sword that could have cut him in half and then being propelled into a hungry mouth.

How exactly are you comparing him to other Sith?

And I'm pretty sure he has a pretty dedicated fanbase. It strikes me as unlikely he would have appeared in Clone Wars at all if he didn't.

Compared to other Sith, Maul seems less impressive by feats and personality. He goes the entire of Episode I without saying a word and then loses to a padawan.

When Maul returns, he has weird spider legs and an even weirder accent.

He has a pretty cool fight against Pre Vizsla in the Clone Wars, but he doesn't really beat any Force users of note. His fighting style is also kind of boring, especially when he ditches his double-ended lightsaber. He should have been the evil Sith version of Satele Shan on the battlefield. Instead, he's a bit of a non-event.