FAILED - 3 strikes Star Fortress Heroic Solo as Sage

Savyl

i just said this in another thread about this too, but really, what is the point in rubbing it in to someone that struggles with this quest/achievement about how easy it was for you? If you're that amazing at this game and have enough time to bother reading the forums and posting, why not help the people who aren't as good get better? Does your ego *really* need that kind of stroking?

I should have quoted my post earlier on this page - what you quoted was meant to just be an addition to that, which was simply a status report from a Defense Guardian and pointing out that there seems to be a large discrepancy between classes on these missions.

It wasn't meant as a brag at all, but if that's how you read it and take such great offense to it then maybe you need to work on some inferiority issues.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have quoted my post earlier on this page - what you quoted was meant to just be an addition to that, which was simply a status report from a Defense Guardian and pointing out that there seems to be a large discrepancy between classes on these missions.

It wasn't meant as a brag at all, but if that's how you read it and take such great offense to it then maybe you need to work on some inferiority issues.

I'm aware of any of my mental health issues quite well, thank you :rolleyes: I've already *done* the SFs and got the One and Only achievement, but I don't like this tendency to brag instead of helping less skilled players, because as I said, it's pointless. (And if anything, I suspect that the people who do come into these threads just to brag -- which is apparently not the case with you, so okay -- have a lot more inferiority issues than me, or they wouldn't feel the need to do that.)

So looking back at the post I can definitely see how you read that. Sorry about the ridiculous "inferiority issues" thing.

I guess I was just happy at getting the achievement. But I sincerely wasn't intending to brag. I do believe there's a huge difference in these missions from a tank spec to a more squishy DPS spec. I have yet to try it on a Sorc/Sin but I'm sure it'll be tougher.

So looking back at the post I can definitely see how you read that. Sorry about the ridiculous "inferiority issues" thing.

I guess I was just happy at getting the achievement. But I sincerely wasn't intending to brag. I do believe there's a huge difference in these missions from a tank spec to a more squishy DPS spec. I have yet to try it on a Sorc/Sin but I'm sure it'll be tougher.

Not hard at all on a Sorc/Sage. Healing spec for me and the companion. It takes a little bit longer on the final fight but with using all skills available I was able to get the "on both feet" "plays with fire?" and the "one and only"

With buffs and everything, sage/sorc is a cakewalk in dps or heals spec.

Thanks c:

I did it on a Sorc and I'm not *that* good at the game so it's definitely doable -- tank has more defensives, but Sorcs/Sages have the bubble and good offheals (and the god bubble if all else fails :D I love that thing).

I think in OPs case it's largely an issue of too low accuracy and lack of experience and tbh, I do wish the game did try to teach people the mechanics and their class a bit better before the get to Star Fortresses. I remember running around on my Sentinel when I started 2 years ago and dying all the time and eventually abandoned that version of my JK. Picked him up to grind the Bounty Event a few months back and was shocked and apalled by his terrible gear :o But by that point I'd read a bunch of gearing guides on dulfy and and on the forums. The in game tutorials are.... kind of really unhelpful.

Thanks c:

I did it on a Sorc and I'm not *that* good at the game so it's definitely doable -- tank has more defensives, but Sorcs/Sages have the bubble and good offheals (and the god bubble if all else fails :D I love that thing).

I think in OPs case it's largely an issue of too low accuracy and lack of experience and tbh, I do wish the game did try to teach people the mechanics and their class a bit better before the get to Star Fortresses. I remember running around on my Sentinel when I started 2 years ago and dying all the time and eventually abandoned that version of my JK. Picked him up to grind the Bounty Event a few months back and was shocked and apalled by his terrible gear :o But by that point I'd read a bunch of gearing guides on dulfy and and on the forums. The in game tutorials are.... kind of really unhelpful.

Well the intent was for the game play to do just that... Problem is they released with OP companions so people didn't have an incentive to learn. People were suppose to crawl in leveling and the story, learn to walk via the Heroic Missions and then run in Star Fortress.

Then they nerfed them, to restore this idea but the distaste of Lvl sync for many caused a big backlash so they buffed companions. Basically now people will have to actively chose on their own to learn rather than have the game guide them. This rarely works well in my experience.

Thanks c:

I hear ya.

Honestly that's one of the reasons I PVP. Yes, I enjoy it, and I'm decent at it (with a LOT left to learn), but it's also a GREAT way to learn an AC. Hit the warzones at level 15 and don't leave until you're out of the lowbie bracket and you should leave it being able to do any PVE content you want.

Well the intent was for the game play to do just that... Problem is they released with OP companions so people didn't have an incentive to learn. People were suppose to crawl in leveling and the story, learn to walk via the Heroic Missions and then run in Star Fortress.

Then they nerfed them, to restore this idea but the distaste of Lvl sync for many caused a big backlash so they buffed companions. Basically now people will have to actively chose on their own to learn rather than have the game guide them. This rarely works well in my experience.

........."I remember running around on my Sentinel when I started 2 years ago and dying all the time"

This issue existed well before ~OP companions~, because the game doesn't really explain much of anything. When I made my first character I read the tutorials when they popped up and it was a whole lot of useless stuff with nothing that helped me understand actually important things like gearing and why more endurance is... really not what my DPS toon needs even if I die a lot. (I'd never played a game with a system like this one before so I really was utterly lost until I read those third party guides.)

This isn't about pro nerf or anti nerf, it's about the in game tutorials being kind of crap and the story fights being so low on mechanics that most of the time you could just brute force your way through long before 4.0 ever happened. And then you get to the Exarch where you really do have to dodge the AOEs, interrupt, use proper kill order etc, which seems incredibly basic when you know what you're doing but isn't necessarily when you're new and never had to bother paying attention to any of this. Add to that the fact that combat is heavily based on rotations... (Does the KOTFE tutorial help with that at all? I turned it off on the one character I've played through so far, but the way it slowly introduces abilities to you sounds like it should help understanding your rotation.)

(As a side note, the damn stabilizer phases also have you looting mobs mid fight and looting regularly bugged out on me so I had to spend half a minute just trying to find the one spot it would let me click on to get the item to drain the Exarch's shield which really doesn't help with anything :/)

I hear ya.

Honestly that's one of the reasons I PVP. Yes, I enjoy it, and I'm decent at it (with a LOT left to learn), but it's also a GREAT way to learn an AC. Hit the warzones at level 15 and don't leave until you're out of the lowbie bracket and you should leave it being able to do any PVE content you want.

Heh, I imagine it does. But tbqh, I really am too insecure for PVP :p (Also I'm a sore loser lmao)

Edited by freeoftime

........."I remember running around on my Sentinel when I started 2 years ago and dying all the time"

This issue existed well before ~OP companions~, because the game doesn't really explain much of anything. When I made my first character I read the tutorials when they popped up and it was a whole lot of useless stuff with nothing that helped me understand actually important things like gearing and why more endurance is... really not what my DPS toon needs even if I die a lot. (I'd never played a game with a system like this one before so I really was utterly lost until I read those third party guides.)

This isn't about pro nerf or anti nerf, it's about the in game tutorials being kind of crap and the story fights being so low on mechanics that most of the time you could just brute force your way through long before 4.0 ever happened. And then you get to the Exarch where you really do have to dodge the AOEs, interrupt, use proper kill order etc, which seems incredibly basic when you know what you're doing but isn't necessarily when you're new and never had to bother paying attention to any of this. Add to that the fact that combat is heavily based on rotations... (Does the KOTFE tutorial help with that at all? I turned it off on the one character I've played through so far, but the way it slowly introduces abilities to you sounds like it should help understanding your rotation.)

(As a side note, the damn stabilizer phases also have you looting mobs mid fight and looting regularly bugged out on me so I had to spend half a minute just trying to find the one spot it would let me click on to get the item to drain the Exarch's shield which really doesn't help with anything :/)

Heh, I imagine it does. But tbqh, I really am too insecure for PVP :p (Also I'm a sore loser lmao)

What MMORPG like SWTOR, in game, holds your hand and tells you..."okay in this situation, use this...its a defensive CD, oh since you are this role this companion is best, this attack is irrelevant after Lvl X when you get attack Y."

None. Why? because an MMORPG like SWTOR is very different than a SP RPG. It has FAR more abilities to be used, more diverse encounters and scripts and other variables. So they give details you can see for every ability by simply mousing over then, typically, have the content tiered in difficulty so that you learn from experience if you pay a minimal amount of attention.

Example 1.... I forget with SF it is but one Exarch has a self heal. They also have interruptible attacks. How do I learn which to interrupt? Experience. My guardian has heavy armor and enough defensive CDs, even as Vigilance and not tank, that with a heal comp (even a 4.0.2 one) I didn't have to worry about the attacks, however my dps was meh so I interrupt the heal. I word suspect I need to consider the opposite on my Operative because he does more dps BUT is more squishy. There is not this for that which you can put in game.

Example 2... Now you can go to a forum and see a rotation, why does the game NOT simply highlight it for you? Because such rotations only work on dummies and static boss fights where you can park on the boss. Doing trash you may want to use a more bursty rotation which delivers less dps over the long term but is better for a short fight or you might want to use an attack regularly that also has some sort of CC component that would never be in a "typical" PvE rotation.

The problem is the tiered progression that helps players learn these things is now gone so experience is not a good teacher.

omg just when I was about to give up after dying too many times on this belsavis boss I FINALLY got achievement One For All with the title One and Only!! Yay.. I think all the advice did help a lot. It did take kiting, dots, keeping my companion bubbled and some off heals and had to revive her once and yes rotations seem to work too. Woohoo! :)

PS Another thing that helped which I decided to try on my own was those photovoltaic dampners. I purchased about 20 of them for 1000 crédits each at the vendor where you start the arrays. Each time the boss kicked me into the red I used one. HUGE help that was. It kept me from getting kicked off many times infact. Even with that it was still a lot of work but that did help a bit at least. I think the biggest part was the rotations and basically the combination of everything.

Edited by Savyl

omg just when I was about to give up after dying too many times on this belsavis boss I FINALLY got achievement One For All with the title One and Only!! Yay.. I think all the advice did help a lot. It did take kiting, dots, keeping my companion bubbled and some off heals and had to revive her once and yes rotations seem to work too. Woohoo! :)

PS Another thing that helped which I decided to try on my own was those photovoltaic dampners. I purchased about 20 of them for 1000 crédits each at the vendor where you start the arrays. Each time the boss kicked me into the red I used one. HUGE help that was. It kept me from getting kicked off many times infact. Even with that it was still a lot of work but that did help a bit at least. I think the biggest part was the rotations and basically the combination of everything.

Congrats! Glad you made it C:

Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to do it. :jawa_smile:

Congrats. Battles like that achievement should be something you really had to push your limits to succeed. And now you'll be so much better off for having tried all that different stuff to do it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Great job. It's been awesome tracking your experience with the achievement. I'm very happy for you. You have a great attitude towards the content in game, and I hope you keep setting your sites high,and keep up with the success you've had so far.

Awesome! Good job :)

I'd like to ask a question and hopefully it doesn't come across as being mean-spirited. Now that you've completed it successfully, do you have a greater sense of satisfaction about it since it was challenging? Or still frustration? I'm genuinely curious.

I know people have said tank classes can do it, and that was certainly the case for me. But it wasn't even a challenge, unfortunately. I'm not sure what needs to be done to help other classes - maybe a closer look at companion tanking?

Supposedly the tank comp bugs (not using a shield, lol) are scheduled for 4.03, so I had been holding off (since the two chars ready to do SF were sorc and op and I really like running them with tank comps). I was able to get The One and Only on Nar Shadda (using a level 20 Healing Probe Droid) on my second attempt (first was two hours but I ran out of time IRL, second was a five-hour session). I haven't ran any other SFs, so a large number of my deaths was just learning the mechanics, as well as some gear upgrading between my first and second attempt.

I originally ran in mostly 204 PVP gear (for set bonus) with nothing augmented, and with standard PVE utilities selected. Since these fights don't last long enough / require tight force management, I swapped out five of the PVP set pieces for augmented 216/220 MK-2 (Low Endurance Armoring, A Mod, Low Endurance Enhancement) pieces (keeping the belt and bracers for the 2-piece damage bonus), as well as everything but one implant and the relics. I also switched to some of the PVP-oriented utilities, since (unlike raid bosses) I was going to be the "tank".

IMO the most frustrating thing is the short-bus companion AI -- there were plenty of times that I died b/c a mistake I made (and learned from), but I hate dying b/c comp was channeling "scratch balls" instead of a heal :)

• 4 weeks later...
I tried 3 different times to do this and now here I am again solo without buffs at final boss zar draya this time.. unable to defeat him. seconds within the fight he kills my rank 50 senya companion.. I tried other companions and bosses too...

It took me many, many times before I was finally able to do this solo with my Jedi Sage healer. I was finally able to do it, just barely--my companion was gone, I was hanging by a thread, and I popped that force wave ability from Sana Rae to finally finish off Zar Draya.

It's funny, with my Sith Marauder, I didn't really have too much problems with soloing the Star Fortress Heroics, so I thought doing it with my Jedi Sage would be a cakewalk, but oops...totally wrong on that. It just seems like there's so much more I have to do as a healer whereas with my Marauder, I'm just attacking.