the point of cartel market companions?

lironBD

I was thinking it will be nice to have the probe droid companion with probe droid pet on my bounty hunter for looks so I got one from gtn.

then beside the obvious no plot which I knew about there are this:

1. Cartel market companions can't craft (they are not on crafting menu).

2. They can't sell trash items.

3. The intro video for this specific companion (probe) was 3 lines with that piggy alien without me saying a word...

So,

Considering we are getting around 30 companions by the end of chapter 9.

What's the point of this cartel market companions?

They are gimping the gameplay experience by the fact you need to raise their influence so they'll have better stats but otoh they can't craft so you need another companion to raise in influence as well.

They can't sell trash items so you need droid perk from legacy ot QT every now and then to a vendor.

Also they don't have any plot or quest or anything special.

Truly confused about this... they doesn't seem to be more powerful then the usual companions so why would one want to purchase those guys in the first place (beside the must have them all pokemon attitude) ?

Knowing full well about their limitations, I'd love to have them, all of them..

Having more choice is a good thing and I would love to have many, many more, even if limited. Note that I also have over 50 characters, and I like not having to use the same companions.

That said, I did not buy the akk dog or the probe droid, because while I'd love to have them, I'm not paying over 10 million credits for a very basic companion... :p

I think you're talking about pets. not companions. The only companion I've seen sold through the CM is Treek, who can run missions, craft, tank, heal, etc. and does everything story-based companions do, in some cases better.

There have been some limited companions in the latest cartel packs.

I think you're talking about pets. not companions. The only companion I've seen sold through the CM is Treek, who can run missions, craft, tank, heal, etc. and does everything story-based companions do, in some cases better.

Yes, in the "old days", the only companion you could get from the CM was Treek (and HK-51 unlocks once you had acquired him).

In the two new packs that we have gotten since the latest expansion however, there are two new companions. First was the Akk-Dog, and in the latest pack, there is a Probe Droid.

Both are fully working companions in the sense that they fight, heal, tank, etc.. but they cannot craft, run missions, sell junk (which is kind of silly come to think of it).

As for the point of them.. well.. there is none. Absolutely none, from a gameplay perspective. There is the "coolness" factor of running around with a dog or droid, thats it. And its gonna be another companion you need to increase influence on, which is another negative (in my book at least).

I did get myself the Akk-Dog (but dont really use it, so what was the point of that...lol). I have no intention of getting myself the Probe Droid.

don't get me wrong I am traveling with the probe droid all the time.

he have a massive feature > unlike treek he makes no sound at all... utter silence. it's soothing.

but seriously, if we pay CC or massive millions for that rare companion shouldn't it at least have the same gameplay features like all other companions (crafting\sell junk) ? it's annoying to switch them mid gameplay to sell junk or to have rasie their influence... I'll note here that each gift is 3 sec and even with alacrity gear (I got full alacrity and alacrity augmented set) just to give companions gifts it take way too much time...

he have a massive feature > unlike treek he makes no sound at all... utter silence. it's soothing.

but seriously, if we pay CC or massive millions for that rare companion shouldn't it at least have the same gameplay features like all other companions (crafting\sell junk) ? it's annoying to switch them mid gameplay to sell junk or to have rasie their influence... I'll note here that each gift is 3 sec and even with alacrity gear (I got full alacrity and alacrity augmented set) just to give companions gifts it take way too much time...

Paid for Treek talk about your basic bait and switch now that 4.0 was released, only thing special about her is she's one of those endar moon species.Yawn.

Ya she talks alot but all of them say the same thing over and over and over THeron and his spy quote gets really old fast

Alacrity doesn't decrease gift giving time. It was in the last patch notes.

Honestly, I think the Cartel Market works best when it offers strictly cosmetic options. That keeps it as far away from cries of "P2W" as possible, and insulates it from any argument about being "forced" to pay extra for things or being price gouged.

Having these Cartel Market Companions be nothing more than different skins for the same generic combat template as other Companions seems like a good way to add something new and interesting to the Market, but also keep them purely cosmetic. Not letting them craft keeps players from acquiring a full group of crafters right from the get-go on a low level character before they would get them via the class storyline.

Mechanically, I agree that it sucks that they can't sell junk - but if the category is going to be things like an Akk Dog, it kind of makes sense that they can't. Even Lassie couldn't exactly haggle.

The akk dog learns novelty tricks when you raise influence, at 5 and 10.

Speak, and Play Dead, which you have to use the abilities menu to access, not hotbarable (silly)

Dont know if the probe droid gets any "Tricks"

They also dont like many gifts (akk dog anyhow, dont have droid)

Akk Dog likes Artwork gifts, which are rare... boo (dog ate my homework, har de har bioware :p)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I was thinking it will be nice to have the probe droid companion with probe droid pet on my bounty hunter for looks so I got one from gtn.

then beside the obvious no plot which I knew about there are this:

1. Cartel market companions can't craft (they are not on crafting menu).

2. They can't sell trash items.

3. The intro video for this specific companion (probe) was 3 lines with that piggy alien without me saying a word...

So,

Considering we are getting around 30 companions by the end of chapter 9.

What's the point of this cartel market companions?

You answered your own question already. But you knew that.

Edited by branmakmuffin

The akk dog learns novelty tricks when you raise influence, at 5 and 10.

Speak, and Play Dead, which you have to use the abilities menu to access, not hotbarable (silly)

Dont know if the probe droid gets any "Tricks"

They also dont like many gifts (akk dog anyhow, dont have droid)

Akk Dog likes Artwork gifts, which are rare... boo (dog ate my homework, har de har bioware :p)

Thanks for posting that. I was curious but not enough to actually do the research. Interesting:eek:

Companions sold in packs have been limited to they aren't "mandatory" so that if they ever change gameplay again they won't get people saying they were baited and switched.

That said I wish they had at least left them the ability to sell trash.

Pretty much this. Also, people always find a way to complain about cartel market stuff being "pay to win." Since the devs want to avoid that, they're really just cosmetic combat companions with no other function.

• 7 months later...

I run the Nexu on all my toons and love it, I really missed the CH aspect of SWG and although this is no where near as cool it helps.

That said once again I feel like BW could have introduced a deep and fun mini game with CH but instead made it off an existing mechanic and added nothing new aka put forth little effort as usual.

That said Im hoping for some type of Sith Hound companion someday but I have little faith in BW devoloping Creatur Handler into the complex and fun system it could be.

Imagine going around collecting creatures throughout the game etc.....Oh no that would be too fun, here we will give you a couple combat pets....done! moving on to even more genius Cartel Market scams, eh erm...I mean game development.

Edited by Soljin