NO ONE will care about the voice acting in one more month.

Gunfox

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I think BioWare has done an incredible job with this MMO. I've played quite a number of MMOs in the past like SWG, Granado Espada, Maplestory and even very old ones like The 4th Coming but nothing much quite measures up to SWTOR in terms of the voice-over. I was on SWG shortly after its NGE went live at a time when many peeps left SWG also 'cos of its NGE. For > 5 years, I was on full paid subscription and spent thousands of hours doing crafting, questing, decorating the house, etc....but non of the NPCs could talk. It was a "silent" world through-out just text, emotes, character movements and nothing else.

Gameplay though is important but I think the storyline is what attracts me and I do really like KOTOR, Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 for their storyline and great voice actors. I dunno but I personally feel that great gaming for a mid-thirties guy like me = good storyline with voice-over as compared to when I was in my late teens / early twenties where great gaming back then could mean action-play like FPS genre types such as Counter-strike, Half-life, Doom, Hexen, Duke Nukem, etc....

So it really boils down to what you like and considering as you age, your perception do changes over time. It's really dependent on the demographics of the player population in SWTOR and their habits. Of course, I'm not trying to stereotype and categorise peeps based on their age but I could probably show SWTOR to a ten year old who hasn't seen a single Star Wars movie and he probably wouldn't think highly of SWTOR as a fun game.

Heh, in most MMOs I never reach endgame because I just give up on the PvE, which in turn is because I just don't care, kill ten wolves, whoop-dee-doo. In the end I just stop once I have a good outfit and RP most of the time.

In TOR I am actually spending most of my time playing PvE because I care about the story, I care about stopping those flesh raiders before they hurt more padawans, I care about driving the Black Sun back so Coruscant can recover further, the story and the context is what makes all the difference, I want to see the next conversation and find out how my actions have made a difference, it is because of the voice acting, the cutscenes and the story that I am actually playing TOR as opposed to using it as an RP interface.

So hey, I am already very grateful that The Secret World will be fully voiced too, and that Guild Wars 2 will also be largely, if not entirely voiced. This is part of the future of MMOs it seems, or I at least certainly hope so.

kill ten wolves, whoop-dee-doo.

Well, you have the EXACT SAME thing here. The only difference is that you have a boring 5 minute conversation beforehand. Oh, and if you decide to not kill the ten wolves, you can go through it again.

You heard it here first :)

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Everything you say will be pointless after the conversation ends. Everything! I have yet to see a consequence that adds more than more voiceover and in the rarest cases killing one insignificant dude. The stories of the sidequests have the quality of a c-movie at best.

And this is where the major part of the budget went? Sorry, but this makes me laugh.

Will the decisions change your quests? Nope.

Will the decisions change the world or parts of the map? Nope.

Will the decisions change following decisions? Nope.

All they do is adding more pointless, boring textlines.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number counting how "good" or "evil" your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

I'm finished with this boring, pointless abomination called a story.

I really hope the gameplay gets better, but honestly I don't have much hope.

This is an MMO, let us write our OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

If I want a story, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Gameplay is what counts in a game.

Why one more month? Why not two months? or three?

Didn't make it past page 3.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't there used to be major consequences for some actions (like death of companions) that people whined about endlessly that caused those features to be taken out because people couldn't be bothered to think for 30 seconds about what convo option they were choosing, and their random choices were having unintended consequences?

It would seem that the argument that people would pay attention to the story and VO if it had any real impact or moot. Because the convos once had major consequences and the same people whined about those consequences.

Short Version: These people are like cats. They stand by the door to go outside, but after they are out they turn around and beg to come back in.

You heard it here first :)

You're wrong. Yes they will. Every single time they roll an alt.

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Then go on Ritalin. I'm not even gonna waste time reading the rest of this.

The choices do change the way the quest plays out. I have had situations where I didn't even get to use the quest items due to "smooth-talking" an assistant etc. No, they aren't game-altering choices, but that's because it would be griefing to some players making the "wrong" choices and then not being able to rectify them.

Feel free to spacebar the convos if you like, I enjoy them immensly and think they make the game actually feel like an RPG instead of the FPS versions we have been spoonfed the last few years.

Didn't make it past page 3.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't there used to be major consequences for some actions (like death of companions) that people whined about endlessly that caused those features to be taken out because people couldn't be bothered to think for 30 seconds about what convo option they were choosing, and their random choices were having unintended consequences?

It would seem that the argument that people would pay attention to the story and VO if it had any real impact or moot. Because the convos once had major consequences and the same people whined about those consequences.

Short Version: These people are like cats. They stand by the door to go outside, but after they are out they turn around and beg to come back in.

Companion death was perhaps over the top, but it would be nice to have the conversation and following events change a bit based on if you told the NPC you wanted to take them out for a nice dinner or told them you wanted them to deepthroat your lightsaber (no pun)

Why one more month? Why not two months? or three?

Because that aspect of the game is so unbelievably boring, one month is even exaggerated in my eyes. I'll give the biggest part of the community less than a week of playing constantly before skipping everything.

One month is for the players that REALLY enjoy it now.

Oh, and at first I was baffled, too, and I thought it would be great.

And then you realize that you can't change anything and your char will be EXACTLY THE SAME, same companions, gear, ship, missions, SAME EVERYTHING as one who read through everything, you won't be able to see a difference between those two chars.

And as soon as people realize that, they start to skip the weird conversations with a good/bad morality system that could have been written by a ten years old.

The conversations are like going through a bunch of tunnels and before every tunnel you can decide if you take the left, right or middle lane. At the end, you're still on the same street as everyone else and your decisions didn't matter the slightest.

Edited by Gunfox

I seem the remember a dev quote from way back when that stated, rather bluntly, that certain companions could have entirely separate ability lists based on how you acquired the companion in the story.

Was this another thing that was QQ'd out because you couldn't retroactively change history?

On another note - I disagree with companion death being "over the top". I could understand your concern, except that the people who would REALLY care are the same people who will rarely use their companions because of the removal of companions from both organized PvP and Operations. Crafters would be another subsect that would really care if they lost a companion, but that is easily dealt with by giving them another robot to fill the space.

And like cats they constantly make noise whenever they think anyone might notice, never shutting the hell up until you spend three hours petting them, during which they start meowing even louder if you pause for a microsecond.

...or is that just my cats?

The dialogue system is average. The player's interaction with npcs is bad.

I have made it to Alderaan on my Jedi Knight and am now noticing a common trend. Random quest giver requests assistance from Jedi. Jedi responds in one of three ways:

1) Overly compassionate desire to help

2) Snarky / sometimes witty remark.

3) Demand for monetary compensation.

The poorly designed dialogue system results in the player being talked at--not with. 80% of the time the player's dialogue selections do not impact the development or outcome of quests (just an estimate). Beyond that, the horrible dialogue wheel results in the player responding with remarks that seldom resemble the summarized selections. And perhaps worse, generic copy/paste remarks show up way too often and sometimes do not even fit the context of the conversation.

I remember doing a low-level quest on my Sith Warrior that required me to judge prisoners and decide their fates. The quest was excellent. The player was involved in the quest. He had meaningful dialogue options, and the general feel of the quest differed from that of the common MMO quest.

Sadly, this type of quest is not common in TOR. All too often the player is given a 'go here; kill this' quest. Were the dialogue system well done, this type of quest would be excusable. However, because the system is merely average, TOR's quests do nothing to distinguish themselves from the quests of every other MMO on the market.

Bioware dedicated much effort to the development of story and dialogue in TOR. It is sad that they failed in their efforts.

And like cats they constantly make noise whenever they think anyone might notice, never shutting the hell up until you spend three hours petting them, during which they start meowing even louder if you pause for a microsecond.

...or is that just my cats?

Just yours. Mine prefers to either (1) Run laps around my room and over my bed while I'm sleeping, or (2) Find something on the floor that makes noise when stepped on - and then proceed to jump up and down on it endlessly.

I agree, the Voice Acting is nice fluff, but it should have been added only after the game itself was complete

Core > Fluff

Yet for some reason, BioWare spent half their budget on ONE ASPECT OF FLUFF, and well... this is the result

the voice acting and choices you make are core, not fluff.

the voice acting and choices you make are core, not fluff.

Well, then essentially this game is an interactive movie. How in the world should an interactive movie keep you playing for months like a MMO should do?

And again the question: What choices? I never saw a choice that matters.

Edited by Gunfox

i agree the voice acting will get old. But its a good way to attract new players and keep ppl playing to lvl50 instead of quitting. Then they will get attached to their character and companions and continue playing.

The voice acting is not there to get your attention forever. Its a way to bring in new players.

Edited by Redsuns_