Companion Changes in 4.0.2

EricMusco

Eric was talking about the weekly heroic 2+ missions where you grind Alliance crates.

So far nothing has been said on how this nerf to companions will impact the ability to solo heroic version of Star Fortress. Guess we'll find out tomorrow once the patch goes live.

SF Heroics are meant to be done solo with your companion hence why there are achievements for doing it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric was talking about the weekly heroic 2+ missions where you grind Alliance crates.

So far nothing has been said on how this nerf to companions will impact the ability to solo heroic version of Star Fortress. Guess we'll find out tomorrow once the patch goes live.

heroic2's have been long and easily soloable since launch day no expansions.

Nothing against your opinions on content as you are certainly entitled to them, but in what world is WoW the more solo friendly, less grindy game?

While I'd argue that WoW probably has more to do than SWTOR there is no way that current content is as easy has it was in SWTOR prior to 4.0 and it is exponentially more difficult that SWTOR post 4.0. I'm guessing that the WoW comment you replied to was for effect. I do still play both games and started playing both when they were released.

[unfortunately they have listened to a vocal minority once again since there are lots of folks who don't even bother with these forums but play the game just the same and are never heard from.....wouldn't hurt that maybe they should send out a survey to all accounts for feed back prior to such a radical change....just to be fair Edited by parchedgoose

I'm actually kind of sad about these changes. I came back to SWTOR after a long break just after beating Shadow of Revan to find that my companions were actually useful for once and I could play through some of the more challenging content I had never seen before.

With the nerf, I'm not confident this will be the case anymore and, if not, that's really unfortunate. I'll reserve final judgement until the patch, but if it's no longer as fun as it is now I'll probably just take another long break.

This sums up my situation perfectly ... for the first time since launch I am having FUN in swtor - seeing Content I never thought I would see ... with Level Sync swtor is going to be MUCH harder to solo than it was prior to 4.0

As such, with this nerf to Companions Level Sync now must now go - or at the very least be on a Toggle so I can switch it off & complete harder content even if I get no xp - just so I can see it.

:(

That's irrelevant. I don't care, nor do I think Bioware can care what seriously bad players deal with. If you read Eric's post he said that the companions had better output than GOOD players.

Their definition of GOOD players, has to be very bad then. I have yet to see a level 65 companion with level 50 influence exceed the parses that were done when 3.0 came out and people were in 186 gear posting them. They aren't even close to what people were doing in 198 rating gear, much less what they would be capable of doing in even 208 or 216 rating today.

Sorry but entry level 65 gear, 208 rating with augments, will easily exceed a companion by 15-20% or higher if the player has any idea what they are doing.

[unfortunately they have listened to a vocal minority once again since there are lots of folks who don't even bother with these forums but play the game just the same and are never heard from.....wouldn't hurt that maybe they should send out a survey to all accounts for feed back prior to such a radical change....just to be fair

That would actually be nice. The only time I get emails from BW now a days is the automated ones telling me my CC grant has been awarded.

Edited by Anaesha

I for one am a little bit scared now. Does this nerf mean that comps won't save my behind anymore? I mean the difference between current and previous comps is that previous were a bit too squishy IMO, kept dying in the most inopportune moments

Well, as I like to say "everything good has to end someday" but I REALLY hope they don't nerf too much!!

When you mention changing the healing power for healers, you didn't mention self-healing abilities for tanks. Will tank companions also have their healing ability lowered, will they be 'more' squishy?

This is a big concern to me as not all companions are the same.

Lana, my preferred companion, her self healing ability at level 50 influence

with all Legacy and Datacron buffs is 7173 hp

Koth at just level 14 influence is 7746 hp

2V-R8 at level 25 influence is 8796 hp

Akk Dog at level 23 influence is 11770 hp !

SF Heroics are meant to be done solo with your companion hence why there are achievements for doing it.

I'm aware of that. Heck, I've soloed them myself a few times.

What I'm saying is that we've yet to see how the nerf will effect players who are trying to solo it post 4.0.2.

That is currently slated to be fixed in 4.0.3.

-eric

So those who rely on tank companions (*cough* healers *cough*) have to suffer starting from tomorrow? We had to rely on healing companions to tank since they were doing a better job but if they get nerfed what are we supposed to use till you fix the tank stance?

Edited by demotivator

I'm aware of that. Heck, I've soloed them myself a few times.

What I'm saying is that we've yet to see how the nerf will effect players who are trying to solo it post 4.0.2.

I think the main factor will depend on your class. for example a marksman Sniper might be able to solo it with a DPS and depending on the severity of the healing nerf a healer but with a tank........no chance in hell.

[unfortunately they have listened to a vocal minority once again since there are lots of folks who don't even bother with these forums but play the game just the same and are never heard from.....wouldn't hurt that maybe they should send out a survey to all accounts for feed back prior to such a radical change....just to be fair

We on the forums usually make up around 10 - 15% of the playerbase - so tomorrow will screw over the other 85 - 90% of the playerbase currently enjoying the game. I hope a mass exodus & plummeting subs make them revert 4.0.2 ... as of tomorrow a large chunk of players will suddenly find themselves eating dirt & stuck with long hard grinds.

While you are making companion changes, how about making some changes on about allowing us to reject a companion if we dont' want the companion, dont' like a particular mssion, etc so we are not locked out of another one.

This is what I want to know too. If I have to get stuck with that stupid crocodile to get Blizz .... All the current alerted companions I don't want (I only did Yuun and Talos because I don't mind them anyway) so if I have to recruit Qyzen to get Blizz that will just suck. I read somewhere that Zenith is going to be an alliance mission too and I wanted to leave the guy in Balmorra for Imp fodder. Even if they offer the option of meeting them and choosing to reject them on arrival that would be cool - consequences be damned!!

I've decided can live with this provided that I'm still able to do heroics with just me and my companion tricked out as 30+ influence (as is noted in the post). Hopefully that means I'll be able to solo heroic Star Fortresses too, even with some more difficulty (which I don't mind at all.) My only issue was that both of these would be off the table completely, and right now it's the only content I can enjoy.

(BTW, I'd be infinitely more happy if Group Finder Ops were nerfed... keep your regular Story Mode difficulty, Heroic, Nightmare, Extremely Bad Whatsit Modes, but if Group Finder Ops were bolstered a bit it'd mean they'd be more worthwhile. Since KotFE I've not been in one GF Operation that hasn't ended with tanks quitting or people getting frustrated and leaving because of wipe after wipe after wipe... Blizzard learned from this a while ago. That would go a long way with making the endgame more conducive to replay, especially since right now I just have SFs to do and running some heroics...)

Edited by damonskye

This sums up my situation perfectly ... for the first time since launch I am having FUN in swtor - seeing Content I never thought I would see ... with Level Sync swtor is going to be MUCH harder to solo than it was prior to 4.0

As such, with this nerf to Companions Level Sync now must now go - or at the very least be on a Toggle so I can switch it off & complete harder content even if I get no xp - just so I can see it.

Exactly, I don't mind the level sync, though I do wish at times I could toggle it so I could enjoy that "Ultimate power of the dark side" feeling just for kicks.

Having a powerful companion helped immensely with reducing the feel of grind and making the content actually enjoyable. I'm not so sure that will be the case post-patch. Especially since I play a tank and it already takes forever for anything to die... with my companion no longer being able to make up for that, I'll likely just finish out my main solo story and then go play something else.

Some of the H2 Rakata missions on Belsavis have 3-4 elites with 2-3 silvers, i was only able to do thouse with the super healing. Saw my health blow past 50% more then once during thouse H2's.

Might be worth taking a look at, should the reduced healing not hold up to that many.

That will be among the first few missions i will try tomorrow...

But if it's really a 75% nerf as it is rumoured my "feedback" will be most likely a cancelled subscription.

That is currently slated to be fixed in 4.0.3.

-eric

Should have had that public test server active for 4.0 like you did for 2.0 and 3.0

Big fail forcing the live community to QC your game. It still feels like beta and IMO it's the worst it's been since beta. You let us down.

Edited by knowmyname

At the end you will remove the ability for players to play some content solo, and try to force them into groups.

Sorry bioware, but if you ever should cater to solo players again, give me a hint. If the changes are as devastating as i expect them to be, you will lose me as customer.

Really i subbed only because i heard SWTOR is a great solo player experience with a huge step forward in story telling. The only thing you currently do is to contradict one of your greatest strengths you won with the release of KOTFE.

For me, you act quite dumb on this. Just stop listening to the "organized raider" playerbase.. they are toxic and will only help you to lose your customers.

Edited by geschmonz

So I went back and checked the combat log from when I soloed h2 star fortress for all the hidden achievements with a 17 influence lana. Consistently, regardless of boss or trash pull, she performed at 50% ehps meaning only that percentage of her heals were necessary to keep my character alive. My character was in 186 armorings with mix of 198 and 216 everywhere else. Granted, I do have a lot of presence through legacy achievements and datacrons, but even with a 50% nerf to healing I doubt I would have noticed a difference outside of my health being a few percentage points lower prior to receiving a large heal.

Bottom line: I would expect that bioware has plenty of data similar to what I found in my combat log, and that they also expect people to not really notice a difference unless someone really messes up in some combat fight.

People need to stop over reacting or treating their own opinions as facts prior to actually experiencing the changes. Also the yelling back and forth about vocal minorities is hilariously pointless because everyone contributed to the metrics that lead to these changes.

People need to stop over reacting or treating their own opinions as facts prior to actually experiencing the changes. Also the yelling back and forth about vocal minorities is hilariously pointless because everyone contributed to the metrics that lead to these changes.

The metrics seem to be "hardcore whiners at the forums" and raid healers who were full of envy that a npc could outheal them in a raid...

gosh darn organized MMORPG players.. they always destroy the fun for the majority.

Edited by geschmonz

I've decided can live with this provided that I'm still able to do heroics with just me and my companion tricked out as 30+ influence (as is noted in the post). Hopefully that means I'll be able to solo heroic Star Fortresses too, even with some more difficulty (which I don't mind at all.) My only issue was that both of these would be off the table completely, and right now it's the only content I can enjoy.

(BTW, I'd be infinitely more happy if Group Finder Ops were nerfed... keep your regular Story Mode difficulty, Heroic, Nightmare, Extremely Bad Whatsit Modes, but if Group Finder Ops were bolstered a bit it'd mean they'd be more worthwhile. Since KotFE I've not been in one GF Operation that hasn't ended with tanks quitting or people getting frustrated and leaving because of wipe after wipe after wipe... Blizzard learned from this a while ago. That would go a long way with making the endgame more conducive to replay, especially since right now I just have SFs to do and running some heroics...)

Sorry . . . . what??? You want Group Finder Ops to be NERFED? Are you serious?!!! They are ridiculously easy now - I haven't had one single wipe on any boss in GF Ops since 4.0.

My guild who are no better than average players did Karagga's Palace on 8-man SM last night with a group of only 6 - 1 tank, 1 heal and 4 dps; it wasn't quick with lacking so many dps but it wasn't anywhere close to difficult and there were no wipes.

I have to admit they could have tweaked the comp gifts some so that they would give more influence.

True but to be honest, the gifts for me didn't have to give more influence so much as they didn't need a 3 second cool down timer.

I find it hard to understand why that's even on them with the developers knowing your going to have to use hundreds of gifts.

It's like they hope to torture you and make it as grindy and terrible as possible. As if the original 10k grind wasn't bad enough with the cool down. Let's make it 250k and keep a 3 second cool down on gift giving.

It's a mind blowing amount of terrible design.

Edited by Quraswren

please guys -- reread Eric's post ---

and first it was rumored nerf 50% -- now I read rumored nerf at 75% (rumors everywhere ... sheeesh ) -- let's all wait till tomorrow and test it out; please ? --- with low and high influenced healer companions and see how bad it really is ... that's what I am going to do ........ I'm willing to see this thing out and no I was not happy to hear it -- but I'll reserve my final judgement till I give it a good testing out tomorrow