The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BIS PVP Tank Gear in 4.0

Woofii

Hi everyone,

I have just come back to the game and wondering if anyone has any ideas what BIS gear is for tanking in PVP with my PT?

What Defence / shield / absorb should I be aiming for? What Augments do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

You are almost asking a religious question, everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong, when in fact every answer is correct. Here are the four different answers you will get and my opinion on them.

1. Maximum Mitigation: This is how the gear is purchased, gear is optimized for defense/shield/absorb and you would further augment with these stats. This, in my opinion, is the worst possible configuration, albeit still fuctional.

2. Mitigation with Maximum Endurance: You still use defense/shield/absorb mods but the high endurance variants and you augment with fortitude augments. This is realistically your tankist build if you really just want to be a damage sponge and have piss poor dps output.

3. Power/Crit with Maximum Endurance: You use the high endurance variants of the power/crit mods (i.e. Lethal ModB, Discipline Enhancement) with Fortitude augments and you still use a shield for your offhand. This in my opinion is the most effective, flexible, and fun to play. You can do serious AoE damage and you are just as durable as option 2.

4. Maximum Power/Crit with Shield: You maximize your power/crit but still use a shield for offhand. I have seen people with builds like this perform frighting numbers, they stand at nodes and AoE the enemy team and are more of a damage magnet than a damage battery via guard. This kind of build is new to me, I am experimenting with it right now.

Edited by KevinQCowart

You are almost asking a religious question, everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong, when in fact every answer is correct. Here are the four different answers you will get and my opinion on them.

1. Maximum Mitigation: This is how the gear is purchased, gear is optimized for defense/shield/absorb and you would further augment with these stats. This, in my opinion, is the worst possible configuration, albeit still fuctional.

2. Mitigation with Maximum Endurance: You still use defense/shield/absorb mods but the high endurance variants and you augment with fortitude augments. This is realistically your tankist build if you really just want to be a damage sponge and have piss poor dps output.

3. Power/Crit with Maximum Endurance: You use the high endurance variants of the power/crit mods (i.e. Lethal ModB, Discipline Enhancement) with Fortitude augments and you still use a shield for your offhand. This in my opinion is the most effective, flexible, and fun to play. You can do serious AoE damage and you are just as durable as option 2.

4. Maximum Power/Crit with Shield: You maximize your power/crit but still use a shield for offhand. I have seen people with builds like this perform frighting numbers, they stand at nodes and AoE the enemy team and are more of a damage magnet than a damage battery via guard. This kind of build is new to me, I am experimenting with it right now.

On this for #3 or #4 which pvp set bonus do you go with? the combat tech's set bonus or something different?

#3 was my favorite in 3.0 - .

I noticed though that Defense is effective in 4.0. Currently using a comb of mitigation - high endurance and power augments.

Edited by Aetideus

• 4 weeks later...

For option 3 and 4 what implants/ear/relics do you use please?

• 4 weeks later...
0 crit? how is that defensive build working for ya? im running the power and mastery relics, then using the high endurance power crit mods and enhancements on everything (fort augs). is there a better setup? im going off the posts from above, just wanted to make sure they werent outdated?

0 crit? how is that defensive build working for ya? im running the power and mastery relics, then using the high endurance power crit mods and enhancements on everything (fort augs). is there a better setup? im going off the posts from above, just wanted to make sure they werent outdated?

With power - crit high endurance mods and enchs there is high dps always, totally successful in regs, especially focusing on dps

Since I prefer to guard actively, shield, high endurance + power is better in arenas.

With power - crit high endurance mods and enchs there is high dps always, totally successful in regs, especially focusing on dps

Since I prefer to guard actively, shield, high endurance + power is better in arenas.

so u just do power, shield? no defense or absorb? i might end up tanking for my team in arena as well, and want to know the best setup. ive been usin guard in regs even with the power-crit high endurance build and i feel pretty tanky still. would appreciate any advice u can give

so u just do power, shield? no defense or absorb? i might end up tanking for my team in arena as well, and want to know the best setup. ive been usin guard in regs even with the power-crit high endurance build and i feel pretty tanky still. would appreciate any advice u can give

Against a good team, power - endurance is not enough. In Arenas most of the time (against a good team) will be spent guarding and not dps. Power - shield - endurance works for me. There is enough defense in blue enhancements.

Edited by Aetideus

• 2 weeks later...
Against a good team, power - endurance is not enough. In Arenas most of the time (against a good team) will be spent guarding and not dps. Power - shield - endurance works for me. There is enough defense in blue enhancements.

The thing is only around 25% of the PvP damage profile is even shieldable because of crits, internal/elemental, and attacks that are parried. Even if you have 40% shield/absorb rating then statistically you will only shield 10% of the incoming damage which will only net a total of 4% mitigation. If you wear a shield with no mitigation stats then you should still cheese around 2% net mitigation.

Now wearing power/crit can help you apply significant pressure to the enemy team for that 2% trade-off of net mitigation. I would say its a no brainer.

Edited by KevinQCowart

The thing is only around 25% of the PvP damage profile is even shieldable because of crits, internal/elemental, and attacks that are parried. Even if you have 40% shield/absorb rating then statistically you will only shield 10% of the incoming damage which will only net a total of 4% mitigation. If you wear a shield with no mitigation stats then you should still cheese around 2% net mitigation.

Now wearing power/crit can help you apply significant pressure to the enemy team for that 2% trade-off of net mitigation. I would say its a no brainer.

As far as I know, only autocrits and i/e are not shieldable. Regarding crits, running >43% shield in *theory* counts for more probability than the 35 - 40% crit that most dps specs carry, appart from crit relic crit buffs. How is that 25% of total incoming dmg? And consequently, in theory always, it is not just 4% mitigation when absorb is over 55% with 50% uptime.

There is problem when targeted by madness sorcs. But that is internal and not crits. Smash Mara - Juggs are handled by staying in distance. Pyro PT, Leth Ops, Vir Snipers are welcomed to play in Arenas but they don't :rolleyes: So, I doubt greatly that only 25% is shieldable in Arenas.

A great amount of dmg is potentially shieldable and defendable in arenas. Using blue endurance enhancements sets D rating to ~ 16%. Also, the 3.0 dmg buff on ST allows for Def build to get >2k dps in arenas.

Any measured validated stats are appreciated.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8755103#post8755103 is on regs where high End-Power build is better.

Edited by Aetideus

Most damage isn't shieldable or defendable. Defense only works on melee/ranged, and you're stuck with it if you try to go for mitigation, so you're essentially wasting stats. Shield works on everything except crits (of all types), internal and elemental damage, so lots of damage avoids shield too.

That's the main reason you pick endurance over mitigation.

Edit: another thing, crit takes precedence over shield. Meaning, if you have 50% shield chance and your opponent has 60% crit chance, you only have 40% chance to shield his attack.

Edited by Greezt

Most damage isn't shieldable or defendable. Defense only works on melee/ranged, and you're stuck with it if you try to go for mitigation, so you're essentially wasting stats. Shield works on everything except crits (of all types), internal and elemental damage, so lots of damage avoids shield too.

That's the main reason you pick endurance over mitigation.

Edit: another thing, crit takes precedence over shield. Meaning, if you have 50% shield chance and your opponent has 60% crit chance, you only have 40% chance to shield his attack.

I ll post here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8755103#post8755103

I've seen that thread (as can be seen by the fact that I commented on it...).

Death by attrition is much less common in PvP than death to burst, and shield does NOTHING to mitigate burst. Defense negates only melee/ranged burst, so basically nothing. Endurance is the only stat that mitigates everything.

When gearing for mitigation, you are:

1) forced to take defense, a stat useless in PvP and questionable outside of it

2) giving up your ability to be a threat for the ability to mitigate non-burst damage.

Also, dividing damage taken to percentages is misleading. For example, if you gear for full mitigation in pve, your dtps will be much lower than with high endurance, but Raptus will still one-shot you with driving thrust.

I've seen that thread (as can be seen by the fact that I commented on it...).

Death by attrition is much less common in PvP than death to burst, and shield does NOTHING to mitigate burst. Defense negates only melee/ranged burst, so basically nothing. Endurance is the only stat that mitigates everything.

When gearing for mitigation, you are:

1) forced to take defense, a stat useless in PvP and questionable outside of it

2) giving up your ability to be a threat for the ability to mitigate non-burst damage.

Also, dividing damage taken to percentages is misleading. For example, if you gear for full mitigation in pve, your dtps will be much lower than with high endurance, but Raptus will still one-shot you with driving thrust.

1) Not forced to defense in excess.

2) Arguing on PvP arenas for tanks. High endurance is always the first priority. Burst hits if not Crit are mitigatable. By parser results that might be 41%.

Edited by Aetideus

1) Not forced to defense in excess.

2) Arguing on PvP arenas for tanks. High endurance is always the first priority. Burst hits if not Crit are mitigatable. By parser results that might be 41%.

ANY defense is excess defense, because it's worthless. Taking mitigation (even if it was worthwhile) means your wasting your secondary stats on defense.

Again, you're quoting damage percentages, which means nothing. No one cares if you can mitigate 75% of dtps, if the 25% you can't will come in a small time window and kill you.

The way crit works right now, a DPS can create a large enough window to drop you considerably, and you can't even absorb that damage. With DPS mods, you'll at least be able to deal out decent punishment in return, while taking the same amount of damage in the burst window. After that window ends, mitigation COULD be better, but killing your enemy is a very good way to ensure low dtps.

Depending on your endurance pool, you could be dropped so low that mitigation will only mean a couple more extra seconds alive. In that case damage is definitely better, because you have a better chance to actually kill something and prevent any more damage.

Edited by Greezt

ANY defense is excess defense, because it's worthless. Taking mitigation (even if it was worthwhile) means your wasting your secondary stats on defense.

Again, you're quoting damage percentages, which means nothing. No one cares if you can mitigate 75% of dtps, if the 25% you can't will come in a small time window and kill you.

The way crit works right now, a DPS can create a large enough window to drop you considerably, and you can't even absorb that damage. With DPS mods, you'll at least be able to deal out decent punishment in return, while taking the same amount of damage in the burst window. After that window ends, mitigation COULD be better, but killing your enemy is a very good way to ensure low dtps.

Depending on your endurance pool, you could be dropped so low that mitigation will only mean a couple more extra seconds alive. In that case damage is definitely better, because you have a better chance to actually kill something and prevent any more damage.

Well, if the dpss are willing to waste their burst window on PT tank they are welcomed to do so.

Again the discussion is about arenas. In current Regs the abundance of madness sorcs disregards too much mitigation.

Edited by Aetideus

Well, if the dpss are willing to waste their burst window on PT tank they are welcomed to do so.

Again the discussion is about arenas. In current Regs the abundance of madness sorcs disregards too much mitigation.

What's wrong with bursting a tank? A dead tank's not much help...

Sins, PT, sorces... All of these deal a bunch of internal/elemental damage, before counting crits (and most of their damage won't be defend-able).