Stronghold decor insanely expensive for what?

Fatumx

Why are vanity items in the millions on the GTN and thousands of cartel coins to buy? They are nothing but vanity items...decorations, you can't even interact with 99% of them. Who in their right mind would pay $20 for a virtual decoration just to look at?

Is there a way in game to earn decorations? Besides the 60000 trophies I have and the few things I've seen drop doing star fortress stuff I've only seen the occasional datacron drop.

I would love to decorate my stronghold, even contribute to the guild's...but ...yah, 1.4 million for a bar stool? 2 mill for cantina sign?

why is designer jewelry so expensive? its just jewelry, you occasionally wear it and look at it, but it doesn't really DO anything.

why is gallery art so damn pricey? and so on and so forth.

the answer is always the same. - BECAUSE those are luxuries rather then necessities. and because the ones that cost the most? are also the rarest and/or most in demand.

that said... there are several vendors - on fleet and on Odessen that sell some decorations for crystals. Felucia Stato sells a few basics for nominal amount of credits. droid vendors sell a nice selection of decos for crafted prefab kits (which you yourself could craft with a bit of effort - I did) as do various reputation vendors. and there are several achievements other then trophies (mainly fortress ones, but datacron master also has a nice deco as a reward and there is some very nice art decor from various pvp achievements)

your house is not going to look as opulent as that of someone who spent millions on top of millions (and/or got lucky with flashpoint/ops drops) but you CAN make it look pretty nice without buying anything from cartel market, or spending millions for a single decoration on GTN

Edited by Jeweledleah

Why are vanity items in the millions on the GTN and thousands of cartel coins to buy? They are nothing but vanity items...decorations, you can't even interact with 99% of them. Who in their right mind would pay $20 for a virtual decoration just to look at?

As long as it's not your money, why would you possibly care?

why is designer jewelry so expensive? its just jewelry, you occasionally wear it and look at it, but it doesn't really DO anything.

why is gallery art so damn pricey? and so on and so forth.

the answer is always the same. - BECAUSE those are luxuries rather then necessities. and because the ones that cost the most? are also the rarest and/or most in demand.

your house is not going to look as opulent as that of someone who spent millions on top of millions (and/or got lucky with flashpoint/ops drops) but you CAN make it look pretty nice without buying anything from cartel market, or spending millions for a single decoration on GTN

Ummm....because those are real world, actual items. They took a skilled person hours and hours to make (in most cases) . Because they have an actual value and can't be reproduced at the click of a button...

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
rude part removed.

Yah I agree. It is absolutely ridiculous, the prices of the decorations. That's why I never buy any from the GTN unless they are really or I find somebody really wanting to give something away. I mostly buy my decorations from the cartel market in the form of essentials packs or the bronze silver gold packs or the singular packs. I think that's a better option. I will NEVER EVER spend 5,000,000 credits on an Imperial bed! LOL! I'm falling down the stairs laughing :p

Ummm....because those are real world, actual items. They took a skilled person hours and hours to make (in most cases) . Because they have an actual value and can't be reproduced at the click of a button...

I'm not sure if you noticed, but pretty much everything on the cartel market is not a 'real world, actual item'.

But you only seem to be bothered by the price of furniture?

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
rude quote edited.

I just gotta add one more thing in reply to the previous comparing real world art to in game items...

think of this, if you google a picture of the Mona lisa and print it out, does that sell for thousands? Millions? No? Why not?

Is there a way in game to earn decorations? Besides the 60000 trophies I have and the few things I've seen drop doing star fortress stuff I've only seen the occasional datacron drop.

I would love to decorate my stronghold, even contribute to the guild's...but ...yah, 1.4 million for a bar stool? 2 mill for cantina sign?

You answered your own question.

They are VANITY ITEMS and are not necessary to play the game.

Luxuries are often expensive. This fact of life applies regardless of whether those luxuries are virtual items paid for with virtual currency or real life items paid for with real cash.

Did you run the op or flashpoint those items drop in and win the roll?

Did you refer people to the game and/or pay actual real world money for the CCs to purchase those items off the Cartel Market?

No?

Well, then you get to pay whatever price the people who did do those things deem appropriate. Or not. They're digital vanity items. Don't buy them.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

Its how an economy works. doesn't matter if that economy is real world or virtual. In the case of this game its a virtual economy. Supply and demand still plays a big factor in gtn sales. Decorations that are rare or in an embargoed pack will sell for alot more because of their scarcity. More common decorations will sell for less. The ones that are common and in demand will sell more then the ones in low demand but high supply.

Theres some decorations like the slot machine that had high costs when it came out but after it got nerfed its sales tanked due to low demand for it.

Deorations like the class ships sell for alot more because of the crafting required to get them from vender

Other examples is clothing. The rare drops sell for alot more than common drops

Crate o'matic sells for alot because its a 1 in 2 billion drop chance

Wow.....I am honestly feeling sick from the number of people defending spending that much real cash on vanity items..

no wonder bioware thinks it can get away with it...then again, I'm sure most of you use mom or dad's money anyway so why should you care right?

I would think that any sane, hard working person with a life, friends, responsibility would see that paying even $5 for a tiny vanity item is not only not worth it....it's ludicrous. If you can honestly compare it to real world economics you need help. Any item I get in this game is gone when I quit. I can't pack it up and ship it over to another game to use later. It doesn't carry over. I buy a chair in game, it's gone when I move. I buy a chair in real world, I put it in the back of my truck when I move, you see the difference yet?

There is no logical reason for the costs to be so high on the CM, besides BW is a greedy hutt.

Wow.....I am honestly feeling sick from the number of people defending spending that much real cash on vanity items..

no wonder bioware thinks it can get away with it...then again, I'm sure most of you use mom or dad's money anyway so why should you care right?

I would think that any sane, hard working person with a life, friends, responsibility would see that paying even $5 for a tiny vanity item is not only not worth it....it's ludicrous. If you can honestly compare it to real world economics you need help. Any item I get in this game is gone when I quit. I can't pack it up and ship it over to another game to use later. It doesn't carry over. I buy a chair in game, it's gone when I move. I buy a chair in real world, I put it in the back of my truck when I move, you see the difference yet?

There is no logical reason for the costs to be so high on the CM, besides BW is a greedy hutt.

Thats why I use credits to buy decorations from the people who spend their hard earned money on the cartel coins. The only money I spend on this game is my subscription fee. With how easy it is to get credits from dailys and heroics now you can get a million credits in an afternoon so your argument is completely pointless. Furthermore most of the expensive decorations drop in flashpoints and ops anyway. So stop rp'ing on fleet and do dailys for credits and run gf hm fp's and gf ops. In no time you should be able to get the decorations that you want. Also take up crafting to get the prefabs which is another source for lots of good decorations. In fact the prefabs sell for less then the decorations

I'm feeling sick of people telling others what to spend their money on. You jealous you don't earn as much to drop 20$ on vanity stuff in a game? If I could I would pay much more to get some nice looking stuff in a game, some people like to buy books, some collect art, some invest in cars etc. Some people like supporting a good game they play because they find no other stuff they would like to spend their money on. Their business, not yours.

simple explaination, cause people are stupid enough to buy it at those prices,

Ummm....because those are real world, actual items. They took a skilled person hours and hours to make (in most cases) . Because they have an actual value and can't be reproduced at the click of a button...if you seriously can even consider comparing real world luxury goods to vanity items in a video game, you need to see a doctor right away. Seriously, don't even reply, turn off your PC and go to the ER right away. Tell them Obi-wan sent you and they will get you right in.

luxury goods are luxury goods. for the purposes of this argument? they are comparable, precisely becasue they are not necessary. they are about as needed to actualy being able to play the game as those $25 digital outfits.

and believe me, as an artist, I realize that physical luxury items generally take a bit more time to make - when they are one of a kind and not reproducible. but they also don't cost $20 per item.

however... prints? do (well some are $20, some are a bit then that). after all. that painting might have taken weeks to finish, but prints of that painting? ARE reproduced at a click of a button. and sell for $50 give or take. (depends on a size of a print) that cast statue? original took a long time to create, but once the mold is made? it takes very little actual time to cast the copies - as many of them as you'd like.

and like we said. you don't actualy need to buy them. people who do? chose to. and they are ok with that cost.

also. again like I said.. there are PLENTY of decorations you can earn in game without touching cartel market. at all

P.S. your personal insults and assumptions only serve to weaken your argument. here's another assumption for you. there are people who make $30+ an hour. yes they play video games and yes, they can afford to spend that much money on a bit of virtual fun. it IS their choice to do so.

and I do think that $25 for that one outfit is too much. for me. which is why I personally did not buy it. I don't spend thousand's of dollars on shoes either. but why would I begrudge someone else an opportunity?

P.P.S. what I DO buy is scented candles. some of those candles sell for a chunk of money. and just like movie tickets, once used? that's it they are gone, I can't put them in a truck when I move to take them with me. but... it was worth it, becasue while I had them? I enjoyed them.

Edited by Jeweledleah

To some people the game is your outlet, their entertainment. Also consider this, you go to movies, you pay for said movie, you buy snacks etc. How is that any different to splurging on a item in game? Some people like to immerse themselves in the game, make their character feel more alive with their stronghold etc. Its all a matter of what you spend your extra cash on.

Add me to the list then...you clearly are just a broke@*** in game that can't afford what they want, so rather than just cop to the fact you'd rather cast aspersions at folks who CAN afford this stuff in game?

Cry me a river into my large pocketbook.

Supply and Demand.

^ This.

They also get more expensive because people like me buy popular items up on mass when people list them cheap and then relist for much higher rates thus attempting to control, or at least limit, supply.

I then adjust pricing to the maximum point things start selling because I know people are willing to pay and relist further it ems as they sell for around that point. Anyone comes in with silly big undercuts I buy them out too.

In short as long as people are willing to pay millions I will list it for millions and actively buy out people who sell it for too much less.

Some people like playing FP's in the game, I like doing the above amongst other GTN based activities. :)

I'm feeling sick of people telling others what to spend their money on. You jealous you don't earn as much to drop 20$ on vanity stuff in a game? If I could I would pay much more to get some nice looking stuff in a game, some people like to buy books, some collect art, some invest in cars etc. Some people like supporting a good game they play because they find no other stuff they would like to spend their money on. Their business, not yours.

I earn six figures a year and won't spend $20 on a vanity item in SWTOR. Why? Because an EA customer milking is just that. It's called common sense.

I earn six figures a year and won't spend $20 on a vanity item in SWTOR. Why? Because an EA customer milking is just that. It's called common sense.

Definition of common sense according to Merriam-Webster: Sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.

And ironically, you don't seem to have any here, yet you talk about it. I don't make 6 figures a year, but I find the value worthwhile in my eyes to purchase items such as these. There is no milking going on here, because, as you have already been told, these items are completely optional. They are not required to advance gameplay, nor do they give any sort of advantage over another player who decides not to purchase it.

Just because someone peed in your corn flakes this morning, doesn't give you the right to pee in someone elses, simply because you disagree with a business ideal.

easy to say using moms credit card huh?

I doubt it. Most of the people I've encountered over the 4 years have been adults. The youngest players that ive met were 13-16. The one payed his own sub when he had the money to do so otherwise he'd be a preferred. The other I don't know about. Other then that everyone I've played with has ranged in age from 18-50. Quite a few of them have kids of their own. So I highly doubt there's too many kids playing on their parents credit cards