The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why has no one asked the obvious question about Force Awakens?

gsummers

A recent post I made got me thinking about this:

Why is the Rebellion STILL fighting the Empire 30-40 years later after RotJ? Why are they even the Rebellion and not the Republic or something like that? How could the Rebels have possibly managed to NOT win when they destroyed 2 Death Stars, killed the Emperor and Vader, and decimated the Imperial fleet?

Now according to the poster, it looks like the Empire now has another SUPERWEAPON! This one though probably can take out an entire solar system, not just a planet. So we will get A New Hope all over again: young idealistic nobody on a backwater planet gets pulled into a great epic struggle between the underdog good guys and OP bad guys, and will learn to use the Force to bring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Does this not basically invalidate or at least minimize everything that happened in Episodes 4-6?

Just because the Rebellion won one major battle doesn't mean there still won't be holdouts of any of the GE throughout other planets, the GE had the entire galaxy under their control with a vast amount of resources. The entirety of the GE wasn't at the Battle of Endor, its key players and their super weapons were, but that doesn't mean the Empire would just surrender.

In fact, that would just make the Empire fight even harder and not give up to avenge what they lost.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yeah when i heard about the new "Death Star" i started to worry that the new movie may be a copy of the original movies with the same Plot as you mentioned op but with different elements, Jakkuu is a desert planet just like tatooine and Ray is very similar to Luke at the start of his life...

Just because the Rebellion won one major battle doesn't mean there still won't be holdouts of any of the GE throughout other planets, the GE had the entire galaxy under their control with a vast amount of resources. The entirety of the GE wasn't at the Battle of Endor, its key players and their super weapons were, but that doesn't mean the Empire would just surrender.

In fact, that would just make the Empire fight even harder and not give up to avenge what they lost.

And to prove your point i can also say that we all know what happened with the great empire which Alexander the great built, after his death the empire was the same in size but divided by the different factions within the empire because every powerful general took a part and ruled.

Now apply that to an empire the size of a galaxy :)

Edited by saremun

Why is the Rebellion STILL fighting the Empire 30-40 years later after RotJ? Why are they even the Rebellion and not the Republic or something like that? How could the Rebels have possibly managed to NOT win when they destroyed 2 Death Stars, killed the Emperor and Vader, and decimated the Imperial fleet?

Now according to the poster, it looks like the Empire now has another SUPERWEAPON! This one though probably can take out an entire solar system, not just a planet. So we will get A New Hope all over again: young idealistic nobody on a backwater planet gets pulled into a great epic struggle between the underdog good guys and OP bad guys, and will learn to use the Force to bring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Does this not basically invalidate or at least minimize everything that happened in Episodes 4-6?

have a look here and here to dive in to it, to quote another great story; "The truth is out there"

Edited by t-darko

They're not the Rebellion. They're the Resistance, which I'm thinking is a New Republic-funded and led organization opposing the First Order, which is a group of Imperial remnants that holds control over a number of systems still.

The scope of TFA is smaller than the OT, it seems. At least to start out.

The Rebellion did form the New Republic in the new canon, sometime after the Battle of Endor, but before the Battle of Jakku. It's mentioned in the Shattered Empire comics and the novels Aftermath and Lost Stars. An upcoming novel will also be titled New Republic: Bloodline.

The Resistance is not the same organization as either the Rebellion or the New Republic, although it's definitely related.

And to prove your point i can also say that we all know what happened with the great empire which Alexander the great built, after his death the empire was the same in size but divided by the different factions within the empire because every powerful general took a part and ruled.

Now apply that to an empire the size of a galaxy :)

I'm really hoping the GE split into multiple factions. I read somewhere, that there was a rumor going around that Benicio Del Toro was going to be a villain in Episode 8. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the sith order restored under him, and going against the new jedi, and the Knights of Ren?

I'm really hoping the GE split into multiple factions. I read somewhere, that there was a rumor going around that Benicio Del Toro was going to be a villain in Episode 8. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the sith order restored under him, and going against the new jedi, and the Knights of Ren?

Iam all for Sith rising again and taking everything in their way!!

lol you think the empire only had 6 ships? lol they had all the ships from the clone wars and were building more eeach month they have thousands of ships.