Computer Any Good

Maraxuss

yeah you'll be fine on low settings. you could toss on a video card and improve the video quality.

like an AMD R9-270X 4GB - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-version-PCI-Express-Graphics-11217-04-20G/dp/B00FLMKN6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446998550&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+r9-270

that will allow you to crossfire the GPU with the AMD APU if you so wish. though by itself the GPU will allow better graphics performance than just the AMD APU chip in that listing

yeah you'll be fine on low settings. you could toss on a video card and improve the video quality.

like an AMD R9-270X 4GB - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-version-PCI-Express-Graphics-11217-04-20G/dp/B00FLMKN6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446998550&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+r9-270

that will allow you to crossfire the GPU with the AMD APU if you so wish. though by itself the GPU will allow better graphics performance than just the AMD APU chip in that listing

Paying extra for the 4gb version of a lower-end card like a 270X might be unnecessary. More video memory than what the single card can use is usually only worth it in dedicated dual-card crossfire setups. But even then you'd get better value by just buying a better single GPU like an R9 280X or 380.

Paying extra for the 4gb version of a lower-end card like a 270X might be unnecessary. More video memory than what the single card can use is usually only worth it in dedicated dual-card crossfire setups. But even then you'd get better value by just buying a better single GPU like an R9 280X or 380.

agreed, 2GB will be good to go

Wondering about this computer for playing swtor, wife needs a new computer, any thoughts?

Overall, that computer will play SWTOR, but it will get poor fps in any crowded areas, PvP, or Ops.

The graphics portion of the A10-7800 is good enough for medium settings (which look quite good, actually), but the CPU portion is a bit lacking - and SWTOR is very CPU dependant.

For comparison,I have an HTPC that uses an A8-7600 APU and it has such low fps as to be unplayable, but the A10-7800 should be better. (Also, I haven't tried SWTOR on the HTPC since the release of 4.0, so I don't know how well it works now.)

Dual graphics on an A10 only works with an R7 240 or 250, as far as I know. Adding a better graphics card (AMD or nVidia based) will give you better graphics performance, of course, but keep in mind that SWTOR, and most MMOs are very CPU dependant.

Overall, you might (for SWTOR) be better off trying to get a computer with a low-end i5 CPU. For example, from the same site:

http://www.amazon.com/M32CD-Desktop-Windows-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B014QVM2KO/ref=lp_565098_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447002436&sr=1-2

or

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Desktop-Core-Windows-90B700EEUS/dp/B011HNT80G/ref=lp_565098_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447002436&sr=1-16

They only use the integrated i5 graphics, which would not be as good as the A10's, but they would be much smoother in SWTOR, and you can add a graphics card later.

Edited by JediQuaker

Uh, no, dont get low i5 and dont count on intels integrated graphics, that really sucks.

Best middle ground would be AMD FX-6300/50 and GPU like AMD R7260/360/270/370 or NVidia GTX750/950

While an AMD FX-6300 did offer the best "sweet spot" value over a year ago, it is a sad fact that Intel pretty much dominates the desktop CPU sector right now in both raw performance and performance-per-dollar. AMD currently has overall less expensive products, but they're also comparatively underpowered compared to Intel right now.

For office or business work, it usually wouldn't matter, but for gaming (especially in CPU-bound games like SWTOR), something like an i5-6500 (or a last-gen I5-4460, that's what I have) would give you decent performance-per-buck.

Personally, I would rather pay for a 200$ CPU from the start and play on the integrated Skylake graphics with great framerates (but at lower settings) until I got the funds to buy a mid-range dedicated graphics card, like an R9 280/280X/380 or GTX 960.

An FX-6300 is not a bad choice, mind you. It should only cost about 110$, but it's AM3+ platform is starting to show its age. It has advantages when it comes to the newer games that are starting to come out with better multithreading optimization, but it still lacks single-core power for older games (or poorly thread-optimized ones, like SWTOR), which is what Intel is good at chewing through.

Not sure what your budget is, OP, but I think you can probably get a lot better bang for your buck if you do a little more shopping. I say that because I was able to put together a much stronger system myself about a year ago for only about $100 more. Granted, I did custom build it, but then I've always found a custom build to be far more cost-effective than manufactured systems.

Wondering about this computer for playing swtor, wife needs a new computer, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011HNT8EW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1X8F3TCTYBWP6&coliid=I1HIKQIV2906SZ

What computer do you use? Is it satisfactory to you when you play SWTOR? Then get her one of those. If the one you are looking at is as good or better than the one you got, then there's your answer. If it's not as good as the one you got, then you need to keep shopping.