PvE'rs doing PvP - tips to help you be a better player

DarthMaulUK

So, with Biowares stunning wisdom to boost PvP numbers forcing(sort of) PvE'rs to under take PvP, and given the amount of really bad players across all brackets, I thought I would throw in some useful tips. Please add if you feel you see something that needs addressing.

BRACKETS

10-40 and 41-64

For these brackets you do NOT require PvP armour(expertise). You will run into Level 60 players who are currently running expertise at the limit 2018. This armour was before 4.0 and you can no longer obtain it.

Filling all your slots will help you reach 2018 expertise but I am yet to see a player (without old lvl 60 pvp gear) with 2018 - most I have seen is 1936. I think this is bug but someone can clarify. Bolster always has been broken and never worked properly.

Expertise IS a requirement if you want to deal some serious damage and/or heal people. You only get expertise from PvP vendors. Now, being PvE players, its unlikely that you will have this. Its a very BAD idea to stack up on Endurance as a pro pvp'er will see this and just nail you 100% over and over so using Operations armour will not work. Your target rating for armour/mods should be 208, the bolster will pick up the slack - this should help you achieve 2018 expertise.

Expertise is KING in 65 PvP. It doesn't matter how much power/crit mods you have if you don't have 2018, you will drop like a stone.

BASICS

Calling -

PvP is about common sense. One of the biggest annoying factors is when players do not call for help when under attack. There's NO excuses not to call. NONE. If a stealth player hits you, call immediately and the call signals are outlined below.

INC or incoming is traditionally used as the call sign that enemies are on their way. Use this 'Inc East' if on Novare for example, or 'INC W' incoming west.

Also, if you see an enemy player coming your wait - CALL! Do NOT wait until you are dead. This will anger lots of people and many will quit the warzone (yes, this is why people leave warzones).

Situational Awareness -

This is a big one. Being aware of what is going on around you is key to winning any battle. Are you fighting by the node/pylon/doors? Do you have one eye on them to ensure no one can cap behind you? NEVER get pulled away from guarding by an enemy as there is a 100% chance of a stealth player behind you who WILL cap as you face off against the enemy infront. CALL!

Other factors to help are locations of power ups on the maps. Has one just disappeared? That will indicate you have company (example - the speed boost on Novare coast).

If you are running to cap a pylon or bunker - look around as you run - do you see enemy inbound? CALL! Don't wait until they are upon you. You can still capture your pylon/bunker during this time.

WARZONE SPEAK

Here is a break down on what most players use in warzones. Some use East/West but its rare. Again, these are the most common used.

Civil War,

Snow / s1 /s - If you are holding Snow

Grass/ g1/s - If you are holding Grass

Mid - Middle

Some players will indicate a number, that means how many players are there attacking. Of course its a rough guess as its based upon those enemy players people can see. This will help your team decide how many players to send to support and defend those areas.

Novare Coast

East - This is the Imperial side Bunker known as EAST

West - This is the Republic side Bunker known as WEST

South/Middle - Is the central Bunker.

Naturally, if you are in same faction PvP, and you are on the Imperial Starting side - you will be capping EAST.

Voidstar

L = Left door - Based upon your starting location. If you are defending, this is the door on your Left

R = right door - as above

If you are attacking, Left is based upon your attacking start position.

During Voidstar, some players will use East/West to call for help.

Its a draw. Why did we lose? A winner is based upon the LEAST amount of deaths if a Voidstar game is drawn.

HyperGate

P = Pylon - this is what you are defending. I will cover the basics of this map in a new thread as it still confuses people.

Get Orbits = Those glowly things in the middle of the enclosed area. Take one of these back to your pylon to score some points.

Where to stand when guarding a Pylon?

Hypergate is a tricky map. The cap time for a pylon is the shortest of all the game modes. It is ESSENTIAL that you do not stand right next to the pylon, otherwise you run the risk of being sap capped. Stand a good distance away and this will prevent the attacker having enough time.

Remember, in this mode, you just need to prevent the cap, not rush in and die. By delaying, you can call for help and hopefully help will arrive in time. Don't be afraid to use CC to stall them.

Huttball & Queshball

What is it?

Its a capture the flag style of play. Your team needs to get the Huttball and score over the enemy goal line. It is good practice to defend the central area surrounding the ball holders. This will give your team an advantage each time a goal is scored.

Roots/Resolve. Be mindful where you root someone and give them a 'whitebar' or full resolve. This will then prevent that player from being stunned (so they tell us) meaning that if they are close to the goal line, they will score without being stopped.

Good practice is to root/stun/pull them into the fire traps as it appears.

With so many leaps in the game, try not to stand over the ledge so an enemy can jump up and score. Its not easy but do try to remember that.

How do I Pass?

Passing is KEY in Huttballs. An icon will only appear if you hold the ball. Its dead centre in your UI. click it then hover over the person you want to pass to and then click for a pass. Don't try to be a hero and run the ball over the line yourself. If you are in PvE gear(65s), you wont stand a chance! But of course, you can still score.

Top tip

If you see that the enemy are about to score and look unstoppable, run to the middle where the ball hold is and pick up the respawn. Chasing a lost cause is bad form, but if you are able to collect the ball quickly, you stand a good chance of scoring.

OBJECTIVES

Outside of Arenas, all other warzones are objective based. This is how you win. Its not by dealing the most amount of damage or kills.

HYPERGATE POINTS SCORING

1. first round: 75 points for capping pylon, 3 points for each kill, 6 points for each orb

2. in the next rounds the cost of pylon is the cost of pylon in previous round plus points that you received from kills in the previous round, or, in other words, the cost of pylon in each round is 75 plus all kill points received from all previous rounds

3. the kills from explosions and the kills that you've done before capping pylon are all counts with the new multiplier (kills during 1st explosion counts x4, 2nd - x5 ...)

little example to help you understand, team A vs team B:

1st round (x3) - 75 points for capping pylons, team A made 3 kills, team B made 2 kills, before explosion the scoreboard is:

team A - 75 + 3x3 = 84

team B - 75 + 2x3 = 81

1st explosion (x4) - team A made 2 kills, team B no kills

2nd round (x4) - team A gets (75 + 3x3) points for capping pylon and 2x4 for kills during explosion, team B - only (75 + 2x3) for pylon, so the scoreboard after capping

team A - 84 + 75 + 3x3 + 2x4 = 176

team B - 81 + 75 + 2x3 = 162

during 2nd round team A made 4 kills and 2 orbs, team B - 5 kills, scoreboard before explosion

team A - 176 + 4x4 + 2x8 = 208

team B - 162 + 5x4 = 182

2nd explosion (x5) - team A 3 kills, team B 1 kill

3rd round (x5) - team A gets (84 + 4x4) points for capping pylon and 3x5 for kills during explosion, team B - (81 + 5x4) for pylon and 1x5 for kills, so the scoreboard after capping

team A - 208 + 84 + 4x4 + 3x5 = 323

team B - 182 + 81 + 5x4 + 1x5 = 288

and etc ... until one of the team reaches 600 points

basically, you will get points for each kill twice - for the actual kill and for capping the pylon in the next round, i think that this've been done to make the cost of each pylon greater than cost of pylon in the previous round and also to count all kills even if the pylon wasn't capped in the one of the rounds

this theory have been proven by a lot of games and I consdier it as solid version

feel free to ask any questions if you still can't understand details

also, if you don't agree with my words and think that it is not how the system works, post some arguments, videos, that could proves me wrong and lets find out the truth together.

Please feel free to add anything I have missed, ask questions if you are not sure. I will NOT be covering Arenas as they are straight forward.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

The set that bolsters the best is the 190 set. However, without the MH/OH being PvP expertise based, the Expertese will remain at 1936. That dictates the order of gearing imo, starting with the MH/OH.

Augmenting wise, I see the opinions all over the place, but I am thinking of loading Alacrtiy and Crit to the point of Diminishing Returns, and filling the rest with Power. I know it is simplistic, but well, I am no pro. :)

So, with Biowares stunning wisdom to boost PvP numbers forcing(sort of) PvE'rs to under take PvP, and given the amount of really bad players across all brackets, I thought I would throw in some useful tips. Please add if you feel you see something that needs addressing.

BRACKETS

10-40 and 41-64

For these brackets you do NOT require PvP armour(expertise). You will run into Level 60 players who are currently running expertise at the limit 2018. This armour was before 4.0 and you can no longer obtain it.

Filling all your slots will help you reach 2018 expertise but I am yet to see a player (without old lvl 60 pvp gear) with 2018 - most I have seen is 1936. I think this is bug but someone can clarify. Bolster always has been broken and never worked properly.

Expertise IS a requirement if you want to deal some serious damage and/or heal people. You only get expertise from PvP vendors. Now, being PvE players, its unlikely that you will have this. Its a very BAD idea to stack up on Endurance as a pro pvp'er will see this and just nail you 100% over and over so using Operations armour will not work. Your target rating for armour/mods should be 208, the bolster will pick up the slack - this should help you achieve 2018 expertise.

Expertise is KING in 65 PvP. It doesn't matter how much power/crit mods you have if you don't have 2018, you will drop like a stone.

BASICS

Calling -

PvP is about common sense. One of the biggest annoying factors is when players do not call for help when under attack. There's NO excuses not to call. NONE. If a stealth player hits you, call immediately and the call signals are outlined below.

INC or incoming is traditionally used as the call sign that enemies are on their way. Use this 'Inc East' if on Novare for example, or 'INC W' incoming west.

Also, if you see an enemy player coming your wait - CALL! Do NOT wait until you are dead. This will anger lots of people and many will quit the warzone (yes, this is why people leave warzones).

Situational Awareness -

This is a big one. Being aware of what is going on around you is key to winning any battle. Are you fighting by the node/pylon/doors? Do you have one eye on them to ensure no one can cap behind you? NEVER get pulled away from guarding by an enemy as there is a 100% chance of a stealth player behind you who WILL cap as you face off against the enemy infront. CALL!

Other factors to help are locations of power ups on the maps. Has one just disappeared? That will indicate you have company (example - the speed boost on Novare coast).

If you are running to cap a pylon or bunker - look around as you run - do you see enemy inbound? CALL! Don't wait until they are upon you. You can still capture your pylon/bunker during this time.

WARZONE SPEAK

Here is a break down on what most players use in warzones. Some use East/West but its rare. Again, these are the most common used.

Civil War,

Snow / s1 /s - If you are holding Snow

Grass/ g1/s - If you are holding Grass

Mid - Middle

Some players will indicate a number, that means how many players are there attacking. Of course its a rough guess as its based upon those enemy players people can see. This will help your team decide how many players to send to support and defend those areas.

Novare Coast

East - This is the Imperial side Bunker known as EAST

West - This is the Republic side Bunker known as WEST

South/Middle - Is the central Bunker.

Naturally, if you are in same faction PvP, and you are on the Imperial Starting side - you will be capping EAST.

Voidstar

L = Left door - Based upon your starting location. If you are defending, this is the door on your Left

Its a draw. Why did we lose? A winner is based upon the LEAST amount of deaths if a Voidstar game is drawn.

HyperGate

P = Pylon - this is what you are defending. I will cover the basics of this map in a new thread as it still confuses people.

Get Orbits = Those glowly things in the middle of the enclosed area. Take one of these back to your pylon to score some points.

Where to stand when guarding a Pylon?

Hypergate is a tricky map. The cap time for a pylon is the shortest of all the game modes. It is ESSENTIAL that you do not stand right next to the pylon, otherwise you run the risk of being sap capped. Stand a good distance away and this will prevent the attacker having enough time.

Remember, in this mode, you just need to prevent the cap, not rush in and die. By delaying, you can call for help and hopefully help will arrive in time. Don't be afraid to use CC to stall them.

Huttball & Queshball

What is it?

Its a capture the flag style of play. Your team needs to get the Huttball and score over the enemy goal line. It is good practice to defend the central area surrounding the ball holders. This will give your team an advantage each time a goal is scored.

Roots/Resolve. Be mindful where you root someone and give them a 'whitebar' or full resolve. This will then prevent that player from being stunned (so they tell us) meaning that if they are close to the goal line, they will score without being stopped.

Good practice is to root/stun/pull them into the fire traps as it appears.

With so many leaps in the game, try not to stand over the ledge so an enemy can jump up and score. Its not easy but do try to remember that.

How do I Pass?

Passing is KEY in Huttballs. An icon will only appear if you hold the ball. Its dead centre in your UI. click it then hover over the person you want to pass to and then click for a pass. Don't try to be a hero and run the ball over the line yourself. If you are in PvE gear(65s), you wont stand a chance! But of course, you can still score.

Top tip

If you see that the enemy are about to score and look unstoppable, run to the middle where the ball hold is and pick up the respawn. Chasing a lost cause is bad form, but if you are able to collect the ball quickly, you stand a good chance of scoring.

OBJECTIVES

Outside of Arenas, all other warzones are objective based. This is how you win. Its not by dealing the most amount of damage or kills.

HYPERGATE POINTS SCORING

1. first round: 75 points for capping pylon, 3 points for each kill, 6 points for each orb

2. in the next rounds the cost of pylon is the cost of pylon in previous round plus points that you received from kills in the previous round, or, in other words, the cost of pylon in each round is 75 plus all kill points received from all previous rounds

3. the kills from explosions and the kills that you've done before capping pylon are all counts with the new multiplier (kills during 1st explosion counts x4, 2nd - x5 ...)

little example to help you understand, team A vs team B:

1st round (x3) - 75 points for capping pylons, team A made 3 kills, team B made 2 kills, before explosion the scoreboard is:

team A - 75 + 3x3 = 84

team B - 75 + 2x3 = 81

1st explosion (x4) - team A made 2 kills, team B no kills

2nd round (x4) - team A gets (75 + 3x3) points for capping pylon and 2x4 for kills during explosion, team B - only (75 + 2x3) for pylon, so the scoreboard after capping

team A - 84 + 75 + 3x3 + 2x4 = 176

team B - 81 + 75 + 2x3 = 162

during 2nd round team A made 4 kills and 2 orbs, team B - 5 kills, scoreboard before explosion

team A - 176 + 4x4 + 2x8 = 208

team B - 162 + 5x4 = 182

2nd explosion (x5) - team A 3 kills, team B 1 kill

3rd round (x5) - team A gets (84 + 4x4) points for capping pylon and 3x5 for kills during explosion, team B - (81 + 5x4) for pylon and 1x5 for kills, so the scoreboard after capping

team A - 208 + 84 + 4x4 + 3x5 = 323

team B - 182 + 81 + 5x4 + 1x5 = 288

and etc ... until one of the team reaches 600 points

basically, you will get points for each kill twice - for the actual kill and for capping the pylon in the next round, i think that this've been done to make the cost of each pylon greater than cost of pylon in the previous round and also to count all kills even if the pylon wasn't capped in the one of the rounds

this theory have been proven by a lot of games and I consdier it as solid version

feel free to ask any questions if you still can't understand details

also, if you don't agree with my words and think that it is not how the system works, post some arguments, videos, that could proves me wrong and lets find out the truth together.

Please feel free to add anything I have missed, ask questions if you are not sure. I will NOT be covering Arenas as they are straight forward.

Good post with good intentions kudos to you for putting time into it and putting it on the forums. Now, if only pve-players came to the pvp forums. haha. :p

I have some tips too -

Equipe crystals... Omg how many am I seeing with no crystals... When you point it out they say mind your own business... Now you can't tell me they lvl and go into ops and FPs with no crystals :rolleyes:

Fill every slot... Ie ear, implants, relics, head... The list goes on

Don't wear PVE hero gear... Don't wear anything above 190 gear lvl or you lose expertise

Voidstar

Everyone should be using cardinal directions. That way, there is zero ambiguity. East and West never change based on perspective. Left and Right do.

My experience with the 'I'm only here for the companion' crowd so far has been that they are willing to put in *zero* effort to improve their game. None. They *know* they are screwing you over - and they don't care.

I've tried offering advice, and I've tried giving quick 'this will take you no more than 2 mins of time' tips. 'Hey, just replace this piece of gear with that, and you'll do much more damage!' Nope. Nothing.

Thread is a waste of time. Best you can hope for is a decent votekick system, or at least the same system as PVE where putting someone on your ignore list guarantees you won't get a WZ with them. But good luck getting BW to pay attention.

Rebind A and D to strafe. Leave W for forward movement. Instead of using both mouse buttons to move forward, one finger should be used on the mouse wheel which can have separate functions bound (including modifiers). S, Q and E should be rebound to abilities obviously. Edited by Jherad

"Naturally, if you are in same faction PvP, and you are on the Imperial Starting side - you will be capping EAST." Novare Coast calls are based on the map: top of the map is north bottom is south. Left side of the map is west and right side of the map is east. If I remember correctly if you place your mouse over the bunkers on your map or mini map it will show east, west and south so the calls are made with that in mind despite the side you spawn.

Good post btw. ;)

Edited by TheMadProphet

• 11 months later...
No PvE'r is going to read all that for the 20 games they need to play

Wrong. I just did. 8-P

Remember it's 20 games _per toon_. I wont get PvP gear for each of my toons but as i'm going to spend several hours (still got 6+ toons to go) PvPing, or rather being "cannon fodder" 8-) to real PvPers, i appreciate any hint to suck less.

Even if i'm just doing my 20 PvP matches each for PvE story line/companions i'll try to do my best. Sucking sucks. 8-)

Edited by Blega