For my fellow RPers: how are your characters taking all these changes?

missjigsaw

**this will contain spoilers**

I'm almost done with the expansion on my first character; kind of short, but I had already expected that, and I'm having tons of fun, so right now the positive outweighs the negative (except for SO MUCH of it being instanced. I had hoped it might be like SoR, with only certain portions being instanced while most of the missions themselves are in open world... my mom and I play together, so that's been a bit of a letdown).

Anyway, having fun, especially with really getting into my knight's headspace with all that's going on. I haven't had this much fun playing him since I finished his class story almost 4 years ago. I absolutely live for angst and emotionally tormenting my own characters (prerequisite to being a writer, I think) and this is all a great opportunity for that. I actually think the most fun I had was through the chapter 2 dream sequence, because of the options to acknowledge his relationship with Kira, his insistence that he would get back to her, and then all the ghosts of the Republic showing up and telling him he had failed, that they lost everything because he wasn't the hero he thought he was...

All of my decisions for him in the following chapters have been based around those two points, actually. That he wants to get back to his wife, and that now he doubts himself, so he has to try and prove (to himself, and everyone else) that he can still be the hero, that he can still save everyone. It's why I chose to stop the reactor overload, it's why I took the refugees onto the ship without a second thought.

He didn't accept Valkorian's help to save Lana but he was tempted because at the time, Lana was the only familiar, friendly face he had, when everything and everyone else he knew had been taken away.

It's all actually leading to some great character development, with the conversation options I've managed to pick. He's gone from being actually kinda prideful and overconfident to self-doubting and desperate to prove himself, from trying to tell himself he did still follow the Jedi Code to admitting (to Valkorian and Senya) that he never really followed it to the letter (and can admit to himself he never truly believed in it from the start).

Basically he's a sad puppy right now, I'm cackling with glee, and looking forward to further breaking him down before he gets built back up in future chapters (assuming he finds Kira alive... If anything happened to her over those 5 years, it's gonna be a permanent downward spiral, at which point I will be a sad puppy)

I'm also already giddy with joy over the ways I can take my other characters. Like my second knight, the already self-doubting one, who fears losing someone else like she lost Master Orgus, so she will thus immediately accept Valkorion's help to save her lady love, Lana...

Or my warrior, who will go on a rampage across Zakuul, fighting Valkorion every step of the way until she kills Arcann, Vaylin, gets Valkorion out of her head, and quite possibly takes the Eternal Throne for herself. (But she would never kneel. She will never kneel to anyone)

Or my inquisitor who will look at Valkorion and shrug, and tell him to play nice with the other voices in her head.

What about y'all? Where are your characters at? What's driving them right now? What stood out as a big moment for them, like chapter 2 did for my knight?

**this will contain spoilers**

I'm almost done with the expansion on my first character; kind of short, but I had already expected that

Don't know if you know this, but we've only seen the first 9 chapters. There's at least 7 more on the way.

Anyway, having fun, especially with really getting into my knight's headspace with all that's going on. I haven't had this much fun playing him since I finished his class story almost 4 years ago. I absolutely live for angst and emotionally tormenting my own characters (prerequisite to being a writer, I think) and this is all a great opportunity for that. I actually think the most fun I had was through the chapter 2 dream sequence, because of the options to acknowledge his relationship with Kira, his insistence that he would get back to her, and then all the ghosts of the Republic showing up and telling him he had failed, that they lost everything because he wasn't the hero he thought he was...

All of my decisions for him in the following chapters have been based around those two points, actually. That he wants to get back to his wife, and that now he doubts himself, so he has to try and prove (to himself, and everyone else) that he can still be the hero, that he can still save everyone. It's why I chose to stop the reactor overload, it's why I took the refugees onto the ship without a second thought.

He didn't accept Valkorian's help to save Lana but he was tempted because at the time, Lana was the only familiar, friendly face he had, when everything and everyone else he knew had been taken away.

It's all actually leading to some great character development, with the conversation options I've managed to pick. He's gone from being actually kinda prideful and overconfident to self-doubting and desperate to prove himself, from trying to tell himself he did still follow the Jedi Code to admitting (to Valkorian and Senya) that he never really followed it to the letter (and can admit to himself he never truly believed in it from the start).

Basically he's a sad puppy right now, I'm cackling with glee, and looking forward to further breaking him down before he gets built back up in future chapters (assuming he finds Kira alive... If anything happened to her over those 5 years, it's gonna be a permanent downward spiral, at which point I will be a sad puppy)

I'm also already giddy with joy over the ways I can take my other characters. Like my second knight, the already self-doubting one, who fears losing someone else like she lost Master Orgus, so she will thus immediately accept Valkorion's help to save her lady love, Lana...

Or my warrior, who will go on a rampage across Zakuul, fighting Valkorion every step of the way until she kills Arcann, Vaylin, gets Valkorion out of her head, and quite possibly takes the Eternal Throne for herself. (But she would never kneel. She will never kneel to anyone)

Or my inquisitor who will look at Valkorion and shrug, and tell him to play nice with the other voices in her head.

What about y'all? Where are your characters at? What's driving them right now? What stood out as a big moment for them, like chapter 2 did for my knight?

My Sith Sorcerer, Darth Xyphis, has always been very adept at survival. When Valkorion killed Marr with little more than a flick of the wrist, Xyphis knew his only way out of that was to bow, and he did. Didn't really work out how he planned...

Xyphis doesn't really like Koth or Senya, holding them accountable for helping Arcann steal 5 years of his life, practically reduce the Empire he had been working to save, and for killing his best pal Darth Marr.

Xyphis is absolutely loyal to his friends, and would probably do just about anything for them because he knows they would do the same. His greatest strength and weakness is probably his love for them. They are 'his people,' and he would do anything to keep them safe, even at the expense of others.

Xyphis used Valkorion's ability to save Lana, his girlyfriend, and really only person he trusted. He also used it during the fight with Arcann, even though he knew that there would be a tremendous loss of life on Asylum, he did what he had to do.

Which is interesting considering that during Revan and Ziost, he had always considered the Emperor a being that needed to be stopped, his powers perhaps too powerful. But now that he is able to use them at his disposal, he can't stop using them for his own ends.

Xyphis is the man who will burn Arcann, Vaylin, and everything they hold dear to the ground.

As for my Jedi Knight, Thancen, he has a very complicated history. He was a bit of a wild card during his early years, having committed some dark side actions during his time on Tython and all the way up to where he was turned by the Emperor in the class story, such as killing Sith and other enemies that were at his mercy. After that, he strove to do good, discovering that fight the Dark Side with the Dark Side only makes the world a bit darker.

Aside from his hidden marriage with Kira Carsen, Thancen has managed to be consistently light side throughout the rest of the game. He has never used Valkorion's ability, instead having faith in his friends to watch out for one another, and having confidence in his abilities to defend himself.

Thancen doesnt' want to the kill Arcann and Vaylin, but hopes he can instead make them see the light and become good. But he is prepared to do what he must.

My Knight was named Zelos Lionbane, At the start he was a emotional young man who fell in love with the new leader of the twi'lek villiage (Before feeling guilty and confessing to his master about it) and had no issues with killing until he saw the rage it can cause with others....mainly that the evil father of the man he killed being bent on revenge. He started following the light side more closely except for a few selected situations (Lord Scrouge and his talks about the darkside since Zelos wanted to understand both light and dark like Revan did, He fell in love with Lana after resisting the urge with Kira, and the biggest dark influence of them all being the Sith Emperor's death at the end of the actual story) But he was still light level 3 before the expanison came out. He was a hero aboard Darth Marr's ship, saving the people whenever he could and respected Acrann knowing that he could of left them for dead in space.

After refusing to kneel to the Valkorion and

Killing him thanks to Acann giving him his lightsaber back, I picture that as being the death of Zelos the pure hero as well. He always had the idea that the Jedi should be running things and that the grand master has failed the jedi for not doing as so. Thus after he is freed he became a changed man, he still tried to help people the best he could since he wants to protect them but his mercy and hatred for Valkorion was gone, to the point that even T7 could tell that Zelos was a different man after killing the scion leader and force chocking one of Koth's crew........On the bright side despite no liking the fact Zelos uses the emperor's power, Lana is finally in a real relationship with Zelos.

So long story short, I'm trying to make him to be the Revan of his era now.

My Inqusitior on the other hand, Darth Nazo (Was Darth Imperious) Was always a good guy and did his best for the empire, and if

Darth Marr

was going to die instead of bowing to the emperor that he should as well. Becoming the Outlandner has been a good thing for him since he no longer needs to act like a Sith all of the time anymore and can just be himself like he was with Ashara. Unlike Zelos he

Only used V's power once and it was to save Lana who he considered to be under his protection and was unaware Koth was on the way

He's already destroyed all of the star fortresses and is hoping to find the rest of his companions out there after finding

Talos and Xalek

More so his love Ashara since he finally forged a alliance and peace with the empire and republic....not their entire government but it's more of a step than it was 5 years ago.

Edited by Nazo-the-demon

I don't know if I can consider myself an RPer, but I do like to write the motivations and pasts of my characters for my own personal entertainment.

My Bounty Hunter and his brother the Trooper, have been at odds for a while fighting on opposite sides of the war. They still care for each other but their paths lead them to two different sides.(BH use to be a trooper as well.) There is a lot of backstory I am not gonna cover here because that doesn't answer OPs question, but for the most part my Bounty Hunter is trying to adapt.

His brother the trooper has somehow disappeared, along with his ex wife the Voidhound and he doesn't understand why anyone doesn't have any answers to how it happened. On top of that, his three good associates, he would even go as far to call them friends, are MIA as well. The Wrath he thought would never fall, the Agent who always had an out, no matter the situation.. and the Dark Council member who eats ghosts for breakfast.

My BH has met the companions of some of his friends, and they have no idea what happened. My BH has been through hell and back with these people, on the Empire and the Republic, and he wants to know why all these titans have vanished and only he remains.

On top of all that his own personal crew is missing, and the only thing he can find from them is a letter Mako sent him, when he was in carbonite that sounded like a goodbye letter. His train of thought being if she thinks I am dead, so be it, I will allow her to move on with her life,( like he allowed the Voidhound to do years ago), but he will still honor their marriage till he can find out for sure if she has moved on.

Luckily two of his crew, Treek and HK-51 have found their way to the alliance and that made him feel a bit of joy to see two more familiar faces in addition to Lana and Theron. He even kind of enjoyed seeing his ship's droid talking about sending him out of an airlock. It allowed him to hold on to something he use to know from the past.

Anyway my BH is going through the emotional ringer, but luckily he has an Alliance to lead, it gives him a job to do, and my Mandalorian loves his jobs.

I'm loving this thread. It's cool to see characters' reactions to the Eternal Empire.

So I'll share my story:

Dar'vao, called Darth Occlus, is motivated by hatred of the Sith, seeing her career as having infiltrated them to destroy them. Lying to herself? Sure, but holding desperately to what little good she's ever done, between acting the most ruthless Sith in the Empire.

Now, it's been five years. The Empire has effectively fallen. Everything she ever did to destroy the Empire is worthless. She's not only a monster, she's a monster who's cruel means came to no end.

And, if not for the Alliance, it would have finally broken her.

For Dar'vao, her life is that of Atlas, holding up the weight of her own evils, and the loss of her power structure is the proverbial last straw.

The Alliance needs her, though. And there, she can act as she's always wanted to, helping who she can and atoning for her misdeeds.

Dar'vao acts rashly now, where she used to win before the fight even began. She saves people at cost to herself, where she used to balance damage to the Empire and gain for herself with every choice. She's spoken the truth to friends once or twice, a first in a lifetime.

Her life has changed, and whether her new outlook will destroy the Alliance that is entrusted to her or inspire those who now serve her, we have yet to see.

Suffice to say: she knelt, in the hopes of killing the Emperor later. She's refused his power without a contract. She killed a star at great personal risk and assaulted a Star Fortress with almost no plan, and she practically kissed Talos (she's gay) when they met and he offered her favourite thing: explore ruins. She's a changed woman, and we'll be discovering together what that means.

Important: all of my characters have an interwoven story, and so Dar'vao is my canonical Outlander, and several of the others are dead or indisposed. She never knew Lana well, that was my Knight's story, and Dar came in on Yavin when my Knight called in a team (BH, SI, SW, JC). Dar'vao is also wrestling with the idea of finally admitting her feelings for Embry, my JC, who helped gather the Alliance, then handed it to Darth Occlus.

Edited by SirMandokarla
Typo, expansion

Don't know if you know this, but we've only seen the first 9 chapters. There's at least 7 more on the way.

I should have said "almost done with the first 9 chapters". They're still shorter than I'd hoped but yes, I know there's more coming, and I'm looking forward to it, since as of the end, my knight is in a better place of things, with the alliance, and having people believe in him.

Important: all of my characters have an interwoven story, and so Dar'vao is my canonical Outlander, and several of the others are dead or indisposed. She never knew Lana well, that was my Knight's story, and Dar came in on Yavin when my Knight called in a team (BH, SI, SW, JC). Dar'vao is also wrestling with the idea of finally admitting her feelings for Embry, my JC, who helped gather the Alliance, then handed it to Darth Occlus.

I need to sit down sometime and figure out how I want all my outlanders to tie together. my knight, Auryn, has always been my main and always will be, but his story has always been closely interwoven with that of my warrior, Annalee. They're cousins (like his wife, he's from a sith family, but defectors who fled to the republic to spare their son the trials of korriban, only for him to end up taken in by the jedi when they died)... And basically all the others can exist in pocket universes in my head, but Auryn and Anna have to mesh.

My mom and I have already worked it out between us that Auryn and Kiri (her smuggler) were captured together, frozen at the same time, and commiserate over having Valkorion in both their heads (the emperor has possessed multiple people before, why not now) and I suppose the same work-around could apply to Anna, as they were on Darth Marr's ship and Anna is the Empire's Wrath... Of course none of that is in-game canon, just personal work-arounds to smooth over rough RP edges when looking at my legacy family tree, and also making sure it still makes sense for Auryn to be hanging with his smuggler pal.

My mom and I have already worked it out between us that Auryn and Kiri (her smuggler) were captured together, frozen at the same time, and commiserate over having Valkorion in both their heads...

This seems like an odd way to look at it. Why shoehorn in an extra Outlander when you can give one of the characters fantastic development by having them deal with the apparent death of the Outlander over the course of five years? There's plenty of potential in a character who fights the Eternal Empire even after the rest of the galaxy has given up, then hears about some great leader and an Alliance that might finally be able to push back, only to find that their long-lost friend is still alive and well.

For example, my BH went through a lot during the Interim. Her sister disappeared in the hunt for the Emperor, then one of her best friends died while she was out hunting for her sister. She blamed herself for not being there, and took up her friend's cause. She's been wrestling with the dilemma of abandoning either her sister or best friend for five years, and her family has seen it take a massive toll on her.

I've played through chapter 9 with three characters so far, but my Vanguard has had the most development:

My Vanguard started off TOR as a pretty light sided, kill all Imperials, unless they surrender, character. Then he met Elara on Taris and knew that she had to be with Imperial Intelligence, but Garza pulled rank and recruited her. Over time, he came to realize that most imps are better described as indoctrinated than super evil, and ended up marrying Elara. (At least, I think she filled out the paperwork?) I believe he did nearly every "exploration" quest in the game, but it's possible some were missed, so it felt fitting when Valkorion took notice of him. His lifelong dream finally came true when he killed Valkorion, even though it meant losing 5 years and having him stuck in his mind. When Marr refused to kneel and was killed, it only strengthened his resolve not to be outdone by a Sith... even if he did have a kind of warrior's respect for him. He has never used Valkorion's power so far, and I can think of few situations that would break his resolve.

After Lana freed him, he feels a life debt to her, but not as strongly as Wookiees take it. Lana is the Sith he respects most, even though all Sith are scum. He's been using her as a companion almost exclusively out of his newfound loyalty to the "life debt." It should be noted that there is 0% chance of romance between them because he's 100% loyal to Elara. Instead of romance, he sees her as more of a sister figure.

Winning the war is his priority, but he really wants to find all of havoc squad. He found Vik first, which ended with yet another former havoc member dying, then found Yuun and M1-4X, which was great. XO Jorgan can clearly take care of himself, as can Elara, but he still worries about her.

I've played through chapter 9 with three characters so far, but my Vanguard has had the most development:

My Vanguard started off TOR as a pretty light sided, kill all Imperials, unless they surrender, character. Then he met Elara on Taris and knew that she had to be with Imperial Intelligence, but Garza pulled rank and recruited her. Over time, he came to realize that most imps are better described as indoctrinated than super evil, and ended up marrying Elara. (At least, I think she filled out the paperwork?) I believe he did nearly every "exploration" quest in the game, but it's possible some were missed, so it felt fitting when Valkorion took notice of him. His lifelong dream finally came true when he killed Valkorion, even though it meant losing 5 years and having him stuck in his mind. When Marr refused to kneel and was killed, it only strengthened his resolve not to be outdone by a Sith... even if he did have a kind of warrior's respect for him. He has never used Valkorion's power so far, and I can think of few situations that would break his resolve.

After Lana freed him, he feels a life debt to her, but not as strongly as Wookiees take it. Lana is the Sith he respects most, even though all Sith are scum. He's been using her as a companion almost exclusively out of his newfound loyalty to the "life debt." It should be noted that there is 0% chance of romance between them because he's 100% loyal to Elara. Instead of romance, he sees her as more of a sister figure.

Winning the war is his priority, but he really wants to find all of havoc squad. He found Vik first, which ended with yet another former havoc member dying, then found Yuun and M1-4X, which was great. XO Jorgan can clearly take care of himself, as can Elara, but he still worries about her.

Curious as to why you killed him. :)

This seems like an odd way to look at it. Why shoehorn in an extra Outlander when you can give one of the characters fantastic development by having them deal with the apparent death of the Outlander over the course of five years? There's plenty of potential in a character who fights the Eternal Empire even after the rest of the galaxy has given up, then hears about some great leader and an Alliance that might finally be able to push back, only to find that their long-lost friend is still alive and well.

I may do that with my other characters, or just have them exist in their own universes, but as Kiri is someone else's character, I can't exactly say "hey mom can you play through all this but pretend Kiri isn't actually experiencing it all?" and she wouldn't ask me to do that either.

We make it work for ourselves, as we always have, like doing class missions together, and assuming all those Sith the knight faces just like to ignore the puny smuggler standing in the background (and she will never forgive him for that one time he got her imprisoned on the Emperor's fortress for a few months), or all the thugs that think they can take on the smuggler just didn't notice her Jedi friend (and thanks to HER he got his first taste of carbonite freezing years before Zakuul did it)...

If we actually sat down and worked things out rather than just rolling with the ingame story and playing things in the moment, it might be different but eh, our way works for us, and we're not too bothered by it.

My oh-so-unstoppable Darth Nox is loving Valkorion's powers, his philosophy and being a part of his great plan. She used to detest the Emperor because his attitude towards her nagged at her astronomical ego, but now she is flattered that she has garnered a great deal of attention from him. After that 'dream sequence' with Valkorion she genuinely believes that the galaxy will be hers to do with as she sees fit, and that neither Empire nor Republic will do anything about it nor the two matter to her.

If only she kept the Sith ghosts in her, might have been more interesting...oh well she was feeling nice on that day.

[For SI through Chapter IV]

My Darth Imperius (Sorcerer) looks at all the sorcery - type Force use and ancient lore and head ghosts and shrugs. "Okay, more of this stuff. Nothing I haven't seen before."

He's utterly furious at Zakuul over wrecking the Empire in general and the attack on Korriban in particular. Seeing as how he had mostly self-promoted to being a new Sith Emperor. He really liked his new/discovered identity as Sith heir. He's trying to square the obvious response of obliterating Zakuul with his generally Light tendencies and the revelation that most of Zakuul have nothing to do with the war.

Valkorian can DIAF. You did destroy Ziost and I do not need your help.

He's upset and depressed about Ashara falling apart after his apparent death. They were each others first real relationship and were functionally happily married. That she sounds like she could still be alive is about the only factor keeping that from tipping everything to "fry Zakuul."

Darth Nox, formerly Lord Delectus is still trying to take in all the changes since the Eternal Fleet appeared. He has taken the loss of Darth Marr hard. Marr was as close to a mentor as a Sith can have. Like many who grew up in the empire, he had deep respect for this champion and warrior, he was not a mysterious and wealthy mystic and schemer like most of the Sith.

Leaving Theron and Lana on Odessyin, he has returned to his dusty stronghold on Dromund Kaas to reflect. Xalek and Talos are the only members of his Sphere he has been able to locate. He needs Ashara and Moff Pyron.

He has embraced the power of Valkorian. After Ziost, he knows that the Emperor can't control his mind, much like the Hero of Tython. He knows that Zakuul must be either conquered or eliminated. The Eternal Fleet can't be defeated, their numbers are so vast they wiped out the republic and imperial navies in a span of only a few years. If he can discover the key to controlling them, he can destroy Zakuul and then turn rule the spacelanes and force the Republic into submission. The Jedi must be exterminated.

Empress Acina's days are numbered. Revan, the Dread Masters and Darth Thanaton. Before his slumber, he would have been content on the Council, knowing the Emperor could never be defeated. With him gone, he may now become Emperor of the entire galaxy. This is his goal. A handful of Imperial guards have joined his cause and protect his stronghold.

He must contact Cipher 9, the Champion of the Great Hunt and the Wrath. They have proven the most useful of his allies. Together, they will one day rule the entire galaxy!

The only character I'm taking through KOTFE is my Darth Imperius. Right now, she should be dead - from ramming Darth Marr's Star Destroyer to the encounters with Arcann, it's a wonder she's still alive. And then there was being stranded on Zakuul with an entirely new cast of characters, save for Lana. HK-55 was no HK-51, and she's still a bit uncertain of the accompanying Zakuulans, considering she would like to topple Zakuul and the Eternal Empire and replace it with the Sith Empire.

Once they arrived at Odessen, a few more familiar faces returned (Theron, Xalek, Tallos, HK-51), and she was fully introduced to the Sith-Republic Alliance. She doesn't quite know what to make of this entity (especially when it comes to long term implications), but for now it appears to be the best chance at bringing down the Eternal Empire. While she's not against working with the Republic (or the Jedi), having done it before, it still makes her uneasy.

Edited by DAWUSS

Well my Agent Lavars is the one that is actually taking the changes quite well compared to the rest of my characters. After the fall of Imperial Intelligence,Lavars has become a bit numb to loss of any kind. As a former intelligence agent he is trained to operate in situations where there is minimal resources and few allies to count on,his natural instinct is to rely on his sharp mind and ability to adapt. But now that the Empire has been severely crippled he faces a new challenge that requires him to be even more efficient than ever before. Thankfully he knows he can rely on Lana and her pragmatism to assist in taking down the Eternal Empire,but for his new allies,let's just say he has his vibroknife and blaster rifle ready just in case things go sideways.