The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, remove the PvP from the quest to get M1-4X.

NogueiraA

Sure there is Forex is a droid with a unique personality that, say T7 does not have. He is unique and would fulfill a different role in my Alliance to T7. T7 would be suited to infiltration and covert sabotage for instance, where as Forex would be a heavy hitter that would go toe to toe with enemies happily whilst working for my alliance. That to us makes them important, hence why this thread even exists.

Just becase you and others seem to not care about those distinctions in a story driven, pve centric game doesn't invalidate that there's people like me who do give a damn about it. Even though they may be functionally the same, they bring something different to a companion or follower who could fill the same role to our alliance and thus gameplay because of their unique aesthetics and backgrounds.

You literally agreed with his argument. The droids look and talk different. But as of this moment, they perform the same function in game. They use the same abilities in combat. They aid crafting in the same way. The only differences are cosmetic dialogue and your personal feelings around story.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You literally agreed with his argument. The droids look and talk different. But as of this moment, they perform the same function in game. They use the same abilities in combat. They aid crafting in the same way. The only differences are cosmetic dialogue and your personal feelings around story.

So what if they function the same? That doesn't mean they are the same. If they were they wouldn't look different and would appear in every classes story. The fact they have unique appearances and backgrournds is the point and why people are annoyed there's no alternative way to get them. That is the point which you either missed or chose to ignore.

Oh look. Another thread that is upset about PVP players getting rewards too!

Funny how PVP players seem to be more sensible about this and not complain at all for having to do PVE and crafting content for companions.

Considering that the huge majority of this game is PvE and PVP is barely an afterthought at the best of times, I feel it safe to say that real pvpers aren't playing this game for the pvp.

Playing SWTOR for the pvp is kinda like going to Walmart to buy wine. Yeah, you'll find some, but when you've put your big person pants on one day, you'll go to a real winery for good wine.

PVP on here? It's as shabby, cheap and pathetic as boxed wine from Walmart. If you dig it, cool, but it's never going to be an equal factor alongside pve in anything ever.

So what if they function the same? That doesn't mean they are the same. If they were they wouldn't look different and would appear in every classes story. The fact they have unique appearances and backgrournds is the point and why people are annoyed there's no alternative way to get them. That is the point which you either missed or chose to ignore.

Which is the definition of cosmetic. BW gates cosmetic items through many avenues. You can't equip War Hero shells that are crafted without 70 valor. They are empty and have no benefit in PvP, yet you have to PvP to use them. Mounts are the same through many different activities such as completing specific Operations, PvPing, completing a series of quests, etc.

Which is the definition of cosmetic. BW gates cosmetic items through many avenues. You can't equip War Hero shells that are crafted without 70 valor. They are empty and have no benefit in PvP, yet you have to PvP to use them. Mounts are the same through many different activities such as completing specific Operations, PvPing, completing a series of quests, etc.

Really? So a cosmetic item has a prsonality and story attached to it's unique appearance. I didn't know cosmetic items worked that way. Thanks.

For everyone saying the comps are purely cosmetic: Are you certain that recruiting or not recruiting a particular companion has no effect on the story? If so, please provide your source.

BW has made it clear that choices matter going forward. Having or not having a particular comp may very well have an impact on the story I'm playing.

So, unless you can prove otherwise, I say the requirement of PvP for a PvE "reward" is absurd and completely out of line.

Oh look. Another thread that is upset about PVP players getting rewards too!

Funny how PVP players seem to be more sensible about this and not complain at all for having to do PVE and crafting content for companions.

Isn't it also punishing pvp players by filling the 65 unranked with loads of us pve'rs.

I played 20 unranked matches and won maybe...3? I dont care about the win/loss ration to be honest as I knew it was gonna be brutal and I suck at pvp. But for actual pvpers it must have been bloody awful carting around a bunch of us pvp newbies making you loose game after game.

Unless this is BWs reward for not giving any new pvp content. "Look we'll fill up the WZs with loads of easy kill dudes K?"

For everyone saying the comps are purely cosmetic: Are you certain that recruiting or not recruiting a particular companion has no effect on the story? If so, please provide your source.

BW has made it clear that choices matter going forward. Having or not having a particular comp may very well have an impact on the story I'm playing.

So, unless you can prove otherwise, I say the requirement of PvP for a PvE "reward" is absurd and completely out of line.

It's easy enough to use this argument in reverse. I say it's fine to stay unless you can prove it has a story impact.

Current evidence says nothing to them being story critical. Should that change, I will gladly reassess. I have said as much several times now.

Until then, it's purely speculation. Speculation should not drive the demand for a design change.

Really? So a cosmetic item has a prsonality and story attached to it's unique appearance. I didn't know cosmetic items worked that way. Thanks.

Unique appearance would be cosmetic... yes, that's exactly how that works.

Sorry, but you seem to be missing them being functionally identical. Not literally identical. Functionally, companions are now reskins of each other. Despite how you obtain them, and regardless of their backstory. Lana = T7 = HK-51 in functionality.

Edited by azudelphi

Unique appearance would be cosmetic... yes, that's exactly how that works.

Sorry, but you seem to be 100% missing them being functionally identical. Not literally identical. Functionally, companions are now reskins of each other. Despite how you obtain them, and regardless of their backstory. Lana = T7 = HK-51 in functionality.

That's assuming you don't care about them beyond function. Some of us though do and hence why it is important enough that this topic exists. Noone is asking for anything to be taken away from PvP players. Just for an option to not be forced into PvP. But apparently that makes us un-reasonable even though previously throughout the entire game companions (not cosmetics) - which is what they are to us, have not been gated behind PvP.

That's assuming you don't care about them beyond function. Some of us though do and hence why it is important enough that this topic exists. Noone is asking for anything to be taken away from PvP players. Just for an option to not be forced into PvP. But apparently that makes us un-reasonable even though previously throughout the entire game companions (not cosmetics) - which is what they are to us, have not been gated behind PvP.

I don't care why someone cares for them beyond function; as long as it doesn't form a barrier to core gameplay or story it is acceptable as is.

You don't like the gate? Fine. You won't get the companion. That's the way any gated cosmetic rewards works, and I am 100% okay with that.

Welcome to the new paradigm. It's not much different from the old paradigm.

Edited by azudelphi

Just played a pvp match. No one except for myself and one other jedi sage even left the platform to fight, everyone else was too busy rolling over and dying at the top of the platform refusing to even TRY and fight. Too busy talking smack to the other team for "cheating" for jumping up to the platform to murder all of them.

Please take the PVE entitled wusses out of my PVP matches bioware,

I don't care why someone cares for them beyond function; as long as it doesn't form a barrier to core gameplay or story it is acceptable as is.

You don't like the gate? Fine. You won't get the companion. That's the way any gated cosmetic rewards works, and I am 100% okay with that.

And here i was actually enjoying discussing it with you. Was fun while it lasted, but obviously, your opinion is the only one that matters and we should all just shut up. Thanks for gracing me with your presence though.

It's easy enough to use this argument in reverse. I say it's fine to stay unless you can prove it has a story impact.

Since BW say our choices matter, it is more likely to have an effect than to not have an effect. Or at least for us to assume that it very well may have an effect.

I've seen nothing from BW to suggest otherwise.

And here i was actually enjoying discussing it with you. Was fun while it lasted, but obviously, your opinion is the only one that matters and we should all just shut up. Thanks for gracing me with your presence though.

I don't deal in systemic changes because of pure preference. You have made it clear that is all that matters to you. I fundamentally disagree with that stance and have no problems being direct about that.

If we are going to speculate, my "speculation" is that I don't want there to be more precedent for:

"I want to be able to get X in the game but don't want to do Y to get it."

Edited by azudelphi

Since BW say our choices matter, it is more likely to have an effect than to not have an effect. Or at least for us to assume that it very well may have an effect.

Any of your choices get you to a different overall story outcome in the end? Didn't think so. So far choices have only matter from the standpoint of acquiring and keeping companions.

Again, when the time comes that we start hearing about how it could have that impact, I will be on the side saying that forcing PVP is bad.

Until then, strictly hypothetical and inconsequential.

You aren't listening to the point being made. All rewards are something that someone desires. If the reward is needed to progress, then it is different than a reward that is just desired for cosmetic reasons or to make something easier, etc. If every reward that people simply wanted, but wasn't required to progress was open to everyone then there would be no reason to block the reward from being obtained in the first place.

If they forced you to PvP for something like your ship, then it would be a different discussion. You NEED your ship to progress through the story. If there was a specific style of ship that you had to PvP for, then it would be fine to do, even if it looked cooler or had more room than the one from the story.

If it turns out that you NEED every companion for a different story ending, then I'll be all for changing this. Until then, complete the content for the rewards you desire.

You are, not everyone is. Accept that other have a right to defend their opinion from time to time.

I'm of two mind on the quest now that I've done it.

I think improvements, not removal, are needed.

1) It needs to be shorter. 20 Warzones is to much (Or 10 victories, which are far from assured depending on the mode, the faction and the server. Seriously, try to win a Pub WZ on Mantle of the Force.)

2) If no reduction in match number is applied, then an opt-out other than "Abandon" quest must be offered. One that "completes" the quest instead of reactivating an Alert in the Alliance window (Maybe a bug, maybe not, however, when I dropped the quest, Theron brought it up again immediatly)

3) It needs to offer a Legacy-skip option. 20 WZ twice (Once for each companion) is fine. 20 for each character is a total joke. Of my 22 characters, 6 will get the companions back right away. That means anywhere between 160 to 320 matches (And closer to the second). That's insanely high. In fact, pretty much any grindy Alliance companion should have a legacy bypass (Looking at you, Qyzen and Lokin).

The fact is that right now, the quest asks for far too little WZs to let players actively get good but far too many to be just "an incentive to try PvP". An incentive to try would ask for 2 victories/4 defeats. A symbolic number that pushed players to try out PvP (And maybe like it) without leaving them with so much matches to play that it let's them develop negative feelings towards PvP.

Edited by Leklor

Pure hypocrisy given you think your opinion is the only right one also, and don't care at all the PvPers have to join us in PvE when they don't want to.