Overpowered companions 4.0

Falkuhn

Why do I see more rude people in support of OP comps than I do against it?

It's not surprising that folks want to defend Useful companions. Bioware doesn't tweak things, they balance with a sledge hammer.

I for one do not want companions to go back being cannon fodder.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not surprising that folks want to defend Useful companions. Bioware doesn't tweak things, they balance with a sledge hammer.

I for one do not want companions to go back being cannon fodder.

Neither do I, but I'm also not a fan of being a Yamcha while my companion is a Goku.

My right hand, arm and side are wounded, shrapnel still in my muscles and tendons, I like the companions like they are at the moment, I can use my bad hand on the keys and get my joints and motions back normal. So the next time you call somebody RUDE, you better think about all the reasons why before you open that pie-hole up.

My right hand, arm and side are wounded, shrapnel still in my muscles and tendons, I like the companions like they are at the moment, I can use my bad hand on the keys and get my joints and motions back normal. So the next time you call somebody RUDE, you better think about all the reasons why before you open that pie-hole up.

I wasn't calling everyone rude. I was pointing out that I've seen a lot more "cry to your mommies" "you're so elitist!" "complainers are just babies" in the support side than I have against. I specifically quoted someone being rude to make this more obvious.

Wow, people really jump to conclusions in this community.

Did he call YOU rude, or just make a general observation?

Neither do I, but I'm also not a fan of being a Yamcha while my companion is a Goku.

Let me give you my perspective on the matter.

First of all, I wouldn't mind if companions were nerfed. I also wouldn't mind if they were left as-is. I don't really have a horse in this race. I'll adjust either way.

The reason is simple. Once I raised my presence through various legacy activities, my companions were already overpowered. Absurdly overpowered at lower levels, and only smoothing out at max level. You mention comps soloing champs? How about comps soloing H4s? It was totally possible pre-4.0.

However, I'm the type of player that likes a challenge. Not just in group content, but in solo content as well. And seeing as how I like that, I discovered ways to ensure I had that challenge. Such as:

1. Run heriocs while leveling.

2. Run SM flashpoints while leveling.

3. Don't upgrade gear.

4. Tackle content while underleveled.

5. Uncheck comp abilities.

6. Dismiss comp.

Have you ever tried running a SM flashpoint completely with your companion, some good gear, Heroic Moment and some luck? Whoosh! It's very very hard and very very fun.

So I sit here and say: I can tune the challenge to my own happiness.

Why can't you?

I certainly don't feel the need to make the game conform to my own playstyle -- particularly seeing as how not everyone has the same one that I do.

Edited by Khevar

Let me give you my perspective on the matter.

First of all, I wouldn't mind if companions were nerfed. I also wouldn't mind if they were left as-is. I don't really have a horse in this race. I'll adjust either way.

The reason is simple. Once I raised my presence through various legacy activities, my companions were already overpowered. Absurdly overpowered at lower levels, and only smoothing out at max level. You mention comps soloing champs? How about comps soloing H4s? It was totally possible pre-4.0.

However, I'm the type of player that likes a challenge. Not just in group content, but in solo content as well. And seeing as how I like that, I discovered ways to ensure I had that challenge. Such as:

1. Run heriocs while leveling.

2. Run SM flashpoints while leveling.

3. Don't upgrade gear.

4. Tackle content while underleveled.

5. Uncheck comp abilities.

6. Dismiss comp.

Have you ever tried running a SM flashpoint completely with your companion, some good gear, Heroic Moment and some luck? Whoosh! It's very very hard and very very fun.

So I sit here and say: I can tune the challenge to my own happiness.

Why can't you?

I certainly don't feel the need to make the game conform to my own playstyle -- particularly seeing as how not everyone has the same one as I do.

I don't think I - or anyone else, for that matter - should have to give myself a handicap in order to enjoy the game.

I don't think I - or anyone else, for that matter - should have to give myself a handicap in order to enjoy the game.

So let me get this straight.

You have the ABILITY to adjust your gameplay experience to get the challenge you want, but you won't do it because it conflicts with some philosophy about how game developers should be tuning content?

Edited by Khevar

Why do I see more hyperbole from those that want to nerf companions because they didn't know how to gear a companion before 4.0. Now they feel embarrassed and are lashing out like a bunch of pampered children.

I'm glad they're OP now. I hate pets and now I don't have to babysit them.

Hell I use to just not even use them, they were worthless. Unless you spent considerable time, and money to gear them properly. You sure as heck weren't going to do that for a full stable across ALL classes.

Now it doesn't matter, they are all useful.

Hell I use to just not even use them, they were worthless. Unless you spent considerable time, and money to gear them properly. You sure as heck weren't going to do that for a full stable across ALL classes.

Now it doesn't matter, they are all useful.

Hm. I actually did that... when my character reached max level. Mostly so I could clear the "defeat x enemies" achievements while running dailies.

The Trooper story actually had me getting gear for the end of chapter 2 since it requires you to use certain companions. (No more to avoid spoilers.) First time I went through w/a Trooper I didn't give them updated gear and had some difficulties, but got through it. 2nd time I got them adaptive armor (I've unlocked some cartel armors for my account) and used green modifications and that run went a lot smoother.

Actually when leveling I found that giving your companion (usually 1 or 2 only) prototype-level modifications equivalent to your character's level made the game a LOT easier pre-4.0. So maybe that's why I'm not complaining too much about the new system. I don't have to craft for them and they're pretty useful too.

They def need a nerf. I've sailed by the first 7 chapters by letting my comp do all the work while I just sit there.

I also tried the 4.0 comps with my level 28 at, same thing. comps are super OP now and this game is zero challenge now.

Let me pose a very simple question to you. Who's fault is it, that you sat back and let your companion kill everything ? Bioware's ? Or you ?

Let me pose a very simple question to you. Who's fault is it, that you sat back and let your companion kill everything ? Bioware's ? Or you ?

my point is I don't have to hit a button myself. Therefore, I'm not playing a game. I'm watching my comp instead. My comp is surviving and handling everything. Before 4.0, I'd have to heal them, do some abilities myself to progress and live. Not anymore.

my point is I don't have to hit a button myself. Therefore, I'm not playing a game. I'm watching my comp instead. My comp is surviving and handling everything. Before 4.0, I'd have to heal them, do some abilities myself to progress and live. Not anymore.

Very simple fix for you that requires no input or changes from the Devs. Hit some buttons, and play the game.

In every encounter on this game, I am still doing the vast majority of the work in encounters with these so called OP companions. Now though, it's not as tedious as before, because the companion is actually useful.

Maybe I have a different game.

Edited by jakeobione

Very simple fix for you that requires no input or changes from the Devs. Hit some buttons, and play the game.

In every encounter on this game, I am still doing the vast majority of the work in encounters with these so called OP companions.

Maybe I have a different game.

This^

If you want to sit back and watch your companion kill everything themselves just because they can, and then complain about it...that's on you. I'm going to continue just jumping in and fighting right along side my companion, and have fun doing it.

Edited by VitalityPrime

This^

Do I think that companions are just a little overpowered now? Yes.

Does that take away from my enjoyment and my characters involvement in fights? No.

If you want to sit back and watch your companion kill everything themselves just because they can, and then complain about it...that's on you. I'm going to continue just jumping in and fighting right along side my companion, and have fun doing it.

This is what I do, I find it fun to compete with my companions for things; like kills, even though we get credit for whoever does it.

I like how the people who actually want to have to play this game are apparently the weird ones. The companion right now does ALL of the work and that's not acceptable. This is a game. It should have gameplay.

This is the thing you're not understanding...

...if you actually WANTED to play, then the companion wouldn't be doing all the work. You would be in there fighting right along side them.

Edited by VitalityPrime

This is the thing you're not understanding...

...if you actually WANTED to play, then the companion wouldn't be doing all the work. You would be in there fighting right along side them.

Do you understand?

The point is that it doesn't MATTER if you fight with them or not. Are you seriously denying that never having to heal, fight, stun, interrupt, or disengage is NOT a problem? The game is not nearly as engaging when everything you do doesn't matter.

The point is that it doesn't MATTER if you fight with them or not. Are you seriously denying that never having to heal, fight, stun, interrupt, or disengage is NOT a problem? The game is not nearly as engaging when everything you do doesn't matter.

Yes, it's not a problem; and it does matter, your foes go down more quickly. Try competing with your companions, but you have to want to.

So let me get this straight.

You have the ABILITY to adjust your gameplay experience to get the challenge you want, but you won't do it because it conflicts with some philosophy about how game developers should be tuning content?

By their definition, other players should have to work to meet that person's challenge; rather than that person inventing their own, they want a challenge but don't want the challenge of meeting a challenge, so they'd rather force it on everyone else.

If that makes any sense...

Other people's play-styles don't matter to them, and the vibe I get is that some people here aren't motivated to actually throw their chars into combat. Yes, you can send your comp in, but why rob your chars of a combat experience. I, for one, love competing with my companions for kills, if I'm not a healer, anyway. So, get your char involved, then you actually ARE playing the game.

I've said this before, it's a lot easier to make things harder for yourself, than easier for yourself.

I think the companions begin to balance out end-game. It's intended to get you through the base game easily and quickly.

I agree, because companion HP and power becomes more proportionate to our chars'; and the more endgame gear we get, the closer we match our companions. Incidentally, our mastery usually trumps theirs, regardless.

Edited by sentientomega

I'm not saying it's "NOT a problem"...I am, however, saying that you are making it a problem for yourself.

I believe that you can still play the game and have fun with companions being the way there are now.

The only way for anyone to realize that companions can do it all themselves...is for said person to allow the companions to do it all themselves.

So, my point is, that sitting back and letting the companions do it all themselves, and then complaining that your companions are doing it all themselves, is absurd.

To say that the companions need to be tuned down is one thing...but to come here complaining that they do it all themselves is another thing entirely.

Jump in, fight along side them, and have fun. If they are really deemed too overpowered, then a change will happen.

Edited by VitalityPrime