call me crazy.. but i HATE this companion idea.. and other rants..

latelylucid

there are several reasons why i really don't like the companions. one of my biggest problems is the fact that for example all jedi knights have the same padawan following them around.. the world seems much less genuine with 5000 kira carsens running around.. this does not affect the mechanics of the game but it definitely makes the game "feel" wrong. im big into RP and not only is this game not conducive to RP, its almost as if the devs were trying to suppress the RP community. how can i "be my own character" if every other character has the same pet? and i cant simply dismiss the companion because the quests are designed with a difficulty where your companion is necessary. the closest similarity i can give would be this.. would be awesome if we could customize our companions.. and i dont care about the story and the game experience and all that crap.. it is my understanding that we as ROLEPLAYERS are to create our own experience with the world provided.. but has everyone forgotten what RP is all about?? i feel that the story provided is telling me who mu character is and guiding me to where my character is supposed to be and even telling me how my personality should be.. i know there are decisions to make, but it is too pre-meditative.. the multiple choices i could do without.. actions speak louder than words.. it worked great for kotor, but that was a SOLO game... this game feels like a crappy version of kotor designed for solo play . i dont feel like part of a community within the world and i dont feel that anyoe else playing really wants to be a unique character or even cares to be.. its very disheartening but SWG pre-cu was waaaaaay better.. like by light years..

there are several reasons why i really don't like the companions. one of my biggest problems is the fact that for example all jedi knights have the same padawan following them around.. the world seems much less genuine with 5000 kira carsens running around.. this does not affect the mechanics of the game but it definitely makes the game "feel" wrong. im big into RP and not only is this game not conducive to RP, its almost as if the devs were trying to suppress the RP community. how can i "be my own character" if every other character has the same pet? and i cant simply dismiss the companion because the quests are designed with a difficulty where your companion is necessary. the closest similarity i can give would be this.. would be awesome if we could customize our companions.. and i dont care about the story and the game experience and all that crap.. it is my understanding that we as ROLEPLAYERS are to create our own experience with the world provided.. but has everyone forgotten what RP is all about?? i feel that the story provided is telling me who mu character is and guiding me to where my character is supposed to be and even telling me how my personality should be.. i know there are decisions to make, but it is too pre-meditative.. the multiple choices i could do without.. actions speak louder than words.. it worked great for kotor, but that was a SOLO game... this game feels like a crappy version of kotor designed for solo play . i dont feel like part of a community within the world and i dont feel that anyoe else playing really wants to be a unique character or even cares to be.. its very disheartening but SWG pre-cu was waaaaaay better.. like by light years..

I hear ya, but for the love of god and my eyes, use paragraphs.

Edited by Tektox

my lightsaber freakin created itself in a cutscene!! jedi are supposed to gather their own materials and craft their own lightsaber.. its a trial... the dude just says.. bah, you already proved yourself.. heres a freakin cutscene of a lightaber being built.. have a nice day.. booooring!!!!

but i do have to say, the first flashpoint on the esselles was AWESOME!!! oh wait, i couldnt wait to get to the next flashpoint, the hammer station.. oh im so excited... i can hardly contain myself...

here i am at hammer station.. no cutscenes? no decisions? no conversations?? just run to the end and kill this dude??

BOOOORING!!!!!!!!

I feel for the OP, I hate and love the pet too, but 3 different outfits, so my sith had the khem val, three colors to choose from, and I hate how BW did him, he "wears" armor, but they dont show it at all, no matter how much armor he has on, he is still in a loin cloth carrying the same exact sword from when I picked him up, utterly disgusting an a fail on BW part, if I dint need him, I would dismiss him an never use him, or any of the companions, cant craft with out them, another fail, I dont have any abilities my companion does.....

would be awesome if we could customize our companions

You mean like having the ability to select a different appearance (face, hair, skin tone) for companions and equip them with different gear? That's already in the game, your request is granted, lol.

my lightsaber freakin created itself in a cutscene!! jedi are supposed to gather their own materials and craft their own lightsaber.. its a trial... the dude just says.. bah, you already proved yourself.. heres a freakin cutscene of a lightaber being built.. have a nice day.. booooring!!!!

It didn't create itself, you were using the force to create it, that's why you were meditating while it was happening and your companion was watching your back.

Anyway, the companion system is core element of BioWare games. It does grate with the idea of players being unique in this context, I will agree with that, but that's a problem that's common in MMORPGs -- how unique are you, anyway, when you have Tier 8 Warlock armor, and everyone else who has done Tier 8 has the same armor? Here, they have tried to address that by having the orange items so people can choose a permanent look for themselves if they like, but the kind of issue you raise regarding companions is one of those things that is inherent to a theme park MMORPG (like going to a quest area, seeing another player kill quest mobs and watching them respawn ... it breaks immersion, surely, but that's par for the course ... at least in this game the cutscenes are there to provide at least some higher degree of immersion than in other MMORPGs).

I have to agree with point, we should be able to rename or customize our companion much more , and yes SWG pre - cu was defiantly a better game , but thats a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away , company's just don't make games like that anymore .

i know that i am just being picky, but they hyped this game up so much claiming it was going to be like no other mmo out there.. i dont see where they have broken any ground in a significant way.. i would have gladly traded in all the effort put into the graphics and the size of the universe for some further character customization.. player housing, some more class/race options etc.. the list goes on..

what if i want to be a free lance smuggler? no option for that.. why do i have to work for the republic? im just saying.. there are not many options in that regard

why is everyone so concerned about how i formulate paragraphs? its not difficult to read. the words all follow each other.. maybe you need to re adjust your brain to read what i am writing rather than how i am writing it. if you are too dense to get past my WALL, then thats your problem lol

i know that i am just being picky, but they hyped this game up so much claiming it was going to be like no other mmo out there.. i dont see where they have broken any ground in a significant way.. i would have gladly traded in all the effort put into the graphics and the size of the universe for some further character customization.. player housing, some more class/race options etc.. the list goes on..

what if i want to be a free lance smuggler? no option for that.. why do i have to work for the republic? im just saying.. there are not many options in that regard

I don't know what hype you were reading but it was never hyped to be "Like no other mmo out there". It was hype to be "like other MMOs except with an additional focus on story" and that is what it is.