The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Final Trailer

Pirana

Star Wars has a completely different tone than Star Trek, originally anyway and in TNG/DS9/Voyager. It's more like the most recent Star Trek movies were more like Star Wars.

Not from my point of view. It's rather obvious this is a J.J. Abrams movie. If I had not known J.J. was at the helm, I would have surmised that he was, not that that's a bad thing. I personally think both of his Star Trek movies are superior to all three of the prequels. Either way you look at, it's nothing more than semantics.

This movie will probably overtake Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I will finish what you started"

It seems to me that a certain someone said something very similar not too long ago.

Nice recall. Yoda's memorable question about Luke, "Will he finish what he begins?" Could this be Luke? My wife and I went round and round last night with the possibility that it may be Luke saying this in the trailer. Very excited for the new film. Seeing Han all cool and collected with ...."It's true ... all of it." This film is going to be epic.

Edited by Shawook

We saw our first glimpse of Leia, and to my knowledge this is the first time we've heard Kylo Ren speak. It was Andy Serkis in the original trailer correct?

No. Andy Serkis was voicing his own character, the First Order's Supreme Leader Snoke. It's good to hear that Kylo's not going to be another Darth Maul, though. Such a wasted character that they finally made good use of in TCW.

We've still have no real reveal of Luke, which means either we'll see a quick glimpse of him in one more trailer or they'll wait until the movie is actually out.

Well, he was there, even if you couldn't see his face. He was the cloaked figure putting his cybernetic right hand on R2-D2.

No, he's not Kylo Ren.

It's assumed that one of the major plotlines of the film will be finding Luke Skywalker in his self-imposed exile. I'm guessing that once the New Republic was established, Luke decided he needed to go on walkabout to teach himself about the Force, since no one was left who could instruct him. He's not had time to build a Jedi Order because he's been slowly rediscovering things from old ruined temples, holocrons, writings and so on. Imagine trying to teach yourself calculus with just an algebra book. He had to go find more sources and teach himself everything.

No, didn't think it was "to much Star Trek", think it was carefully and smart selections of existing John Williams Star Wars themes. And I want to have more . . .

I surely recommend those articles and interviews about and with JJ Abrams on the topic of being granted the gift of making a Star Wars Movie in general and the Continuation Episode of the OT saga in particular.

Though Star Trek might be a great Sci-Fi story, Star Wars(E4) is a milestone in Sci-Fi story telling, Sci-Fi movies are described before and after E4, not only concerning the story telling, but a special effects was up to that time unprecedented. Abrams along with anyone else that experienced E4 and the rest of the OT's first hand, who lived Star Wars knows and feels the significance of E7.

George Lucas didn't really understand how great of an impact his films had on the OT's fans, my argument to support that fact is his constant re polishing of the OTs and the how he chose to do the prequels.

I am pretty sure that Abrams feel the weight of this Movie, the significance it has in giving the fans of E4 and the OTs the Star Wars movie they always wanted

On one hand Abrams knows that he is doomed to fail, as we the fans, are so many and differential in our fandom, on the other hand I know this gonna be the best Star Wars Fan Movie Ever Made.

Edited by t-darko

But the big difference is, Lucas is not writing, directing, or editing. Yes he created something great, but between Episode 6 and 1 somewhere, he lost the plot. Maybe too many "yes-men" who wouldn't criticise him.

I can only see things being restored to what the fans enjoyed. Disney payed $4 billion for the company, and I can only see them doing everything they can to make the franchise as big as their Marvel label.

Agreed. Also it's hard to recreate something like Ep4-6. For starters all those movies (Especially 4) have deep roots and homage to old spaghetti westerns and Akira Kurosawa films. In fact the original plot for Star Wars was almost identical to Hidden Fortress. The first characters we get introduced and follow are the lowliest charactrers in the story, C-3PO and R2-D2. Well Hidden Fortress follows the same formula. It is told through the eyes of two lowly beggars, one short and squat and one tall. Also I don't think the studio had a lot of faith in the film which is why Lucas was able to own the rights to it. Even Carrie Fisher on her first day on set thought the movie was going to be a joke and completely bomb. So its hard to recapture something that was created with passion and in a way accidentally became great.

No. Andy Serkis was voicing his own character, the First Order's Supreme Leader Snoke.

I know. I don't believe I made that clear in my original post. That was my fault.

I was stating that this is the first time we've heard Kylo Ren speak, because the voice over in the first teaser was Serkis playing his character Snoke.

Well, he was there, even if you couldn't see his face. He was the cloaked figure putting his cybernetic right hand on R2-D2.

That's why I said "real" reveal. They're obviously saving that for the movie itself. A gutsy choice.

No, he's not Kylo Ren.

Quite obvious since Kylo Ren is played by Adam Driver.

It's assumed that one of the major plotlines of the film will be finding Luke Skywalker in his self-imposed exile. I'm guessing that once the New Republic was established, Luke decided he needed to go on walkabout to teach himself about the Force, since no one was left who could instruct him. He's not had time to build a Jedi Order because he's been slowly rediscovering things from old ruined temples, holocrons, writings and so on.

That's been the major theory for months now, and it sounds reasonable.

Edited by CaulderBenson

You would think that, wouldn't you? But there have been SOOO many people who have been theorizing over the past few days that Luke Skywalker is Kylo Ren. It's all over Facebook and I've seen several posts on media websites asking that question. I mean, sure, some of it is just clickbait, but some of it is trying to be serious :eek::D

I know. I don't believe I made that clear in my original post. That was my fault.

I was stating that this is the first time we've heard Kylo Ren speak, because the voice over in the first teaser was Serkis playing his character Snoke.

Ah. I misunderstood. My bad there.

That's why I said "real" reveal. They're obviously saving that for the movie itself. A gutsy choice.

And one that I like. It goes along with Return of the Jedi. "Oh, he's dressed in black. That's bad. He choked a guard! That's bad.... Green lightsaber! He's still good!"

Obvious to you and me, yet I still see this theory bandied about. It's even appeared in this very thread, which is why I addressed it.

That's been the major theory for months now, and it sounds reasonable.
As I said above, I like it. Luke was always the focus of the first three movies. Let's establish the new kids first and then bring in the mentor (and hopefully not just kill him off immediately).

You would think that, wouldn't you? But there have been SOOO many people who have been theorizing over the past few days that Luke Skywalker is Kylo Ren. It's all over Facebook and I've seen several posts on media websites asking that question. I mean, sure, some of it is just clickbait, but some of it is trying to be serious :eek::D

Wow this would be a pretty good plot twist! I don't know if that will be the case in the movie but, it's a pretty good one though.

I was hoping that Luke appear at the very end of the film, giving him a full focus on the second movie. I hope this is the case.

It seems to me that a certain someone said something very similar not too long ago.

It's funny you mentioned that line, because I have a theory behind Kylo Ren that has almost NOTHING to do with Luke.

In the trailer, we are shown(Presumably) that Kylo Ren is looking down at the burnt remnants of Darth Vader's helmet and facial breathing apparatus. Don't you find it weird that someone would just become instantly obsessed with some Sith Lord that was presumed dead for 30 years already? So what feeds this guy's obsession? He is taking it really personally......

What if it is personal to Kylo Ren? Kylo Ren is roughly 30 -35 years old(based on looks), which puts him right around the end of ROTJ. What if Darth Sidious had a clone of Vader created so that the original one could be replaced? What if the Knights of Ren found the clone after the death of Skywalker and named it Kylo? It would explain his burgeoning Force Powers and his obsession with all things Vader. Also, to enter into the truly bizarre, the moment in the trailer where Kylo goes to strike at Finn, notice Kylo's hairstyle? Look familiar? It should because Hayden Christensen's hairstyle in ROTS was very similar to it. I know that it could be coincidence, but seriously? In Star Wars, there is NEVER coincidence.

Want to go further? Rumor has it that Hayden Christensen has been approached to reprise his role as Anakin Skywalker(Force Ghost) in Episode VIII. I believe that the reason we do not see Luke in the trailer and/or the poster is that he is in the film, but because of the death of the students on Yavin IV referenced months ago plus the exposure to the ancient Sith Lord in the temples there, Luke has been driven mad and is incapable of helping new heroes Ray and Finn as they attempt to learn about the ways of the Jedi. Anakin would have to train his granddaughter to become a Jedi Knight.

Edited by DarknessInLight

The biggest question about this trailer, IMO, is what did Vader "start"? If it had virtually anything to do with building the Empire, that wasn't something Vader started, because he was carrying out Palpatine's will, and everyone knew there was an Emperor at the top. Maybe what Vader "started" was actually destroying the Empire, by killing Palpatine? And remember, all the EU Palpatine clones never happened in canon now, so. Who knows. Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

The biggest question about this trailer, IMO, is what did Vader "start"? If it had virtually anything to do with building the Empire, that wasn't something Vader started, because he was carrying out Palpatine's will, and everyone knew there was an Emperor at the top. Maybe what Vader "started" was actually destroying the Empire, by killing Palpatine? And remember, all the EU Palpatine clones never happened in canon now, so. Who knows.

Vader nearly wiped out all the remaining Jedi. That might be what they're referring to. He was the greatest jedi killer of all time. That's still Disney Canon. In Rebels he deals with anyone the inquisitors struggle with.

The biggest question about this trailer, IMO, is what did Vader "start"? If it had virtually anything to do with building the Empire, that wasn't something Vader started, because he was carrying out Palpatine's will, and everyone knew there was an Emperor at the top. Maybe what Vader "started" was actually destroying the Empire, by killing Palpatine? And remember, all the EU Palpatine clones never happened in canon now, so. Who knows.
Annihilation of the Jedi. Vader marched on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and started the Great Jedi Purge. That's my guess. Edited by Falensawino

I will be disapointed if the storyline to episode VII doesn't stick to the EU storyline.

If it doesn't then Star Wars will just be a mess that I don't care to follow anymore.

Sorry Mate, we already know it won't, have you been frozen in carbonite the last 3 years?;) - Welcome to the party!!!

Annihilation of the Jedi. Vader marched on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and started the Great Jedi Purge. That's my guess.

I'm all aboard on these thoughts, But the Supreme leader Snoke!? Who is, as Kylo Ren, to be knowledgeable in the ways of the Dark side but not Sith? Supreme Leader Snoke is the greater enigma I think . . .

Edited by t-darko

• 2 weeks later...

Reposting my previous post in this thread so as to bring you up to speed:

It's funny you mentioned that line, because I have a theory behind Kylo Ren that has almost NOTHING to do with Luke.

In the trailer, we are shown(Presumably) that Kylo Ren is looking down at the burnt remnants of Darth Vader's helmet and facial breathing apparatus. Don't you find it weird that someone would just become instantly obsessed with some Sith Lord that was presumed dead for 30 years already? So what feeds this guy's obsession? He is taking it really personally......

What if it is personal to Kylo Ren? Kylo Ren is roughly 30 -35 years old(based on looks), which puts him right around the end of ROTJ. What if Darth Sidious had a clone of Vader created so that the original one could be replaced? What if the Knights of Ren found the clone after the death of Skywalker and named it Kylo? It would explain his burgeoning Force Powers and his obsession with all things Vader. Also, to enter into the truly bizarre, the moment in the trailer where Kylo goes to strike at Finn, notice Kylo's hairstyle? Look familiar? It should because Hayden Christensen's hairstyle in ROTS was very similar to it. I know that it could be coincidence, but seriously? In Star Wars, there is NEVER coincidence.

Want to go further? Rumor has it that Hayden Christensen has been approached to reprise his role as Anakin Skywalker(Force Ghost) in Episode VIII. I believe that the reason we do not see Luke in the trailer and/or the poster is that he is in the film, but because of the death of the students on Yavin IV referenced months ago plus the exposure to the ancient Sith Lord in the temples there, Luke has been driven mad and is incapable of helping new heroes Ray and Finn as they attempt to learn about the ways of the Jedi. Anakin would have to train his granddaughter to become a Jedi Knight.

Now we have the trailer released today from Disney Japan which includes Kylo Ren saying the following,

"I will fulfill OUR destiny. I will finish what YOU started."

I don't know about you guys, but Kylo saying OUR destiny sounds like he and Vader are on the same level. I smell a clone. Seems like my theory may just have gained some credibility.

Eh. My take is that history, even the recent events of the prequels and trilogy, were somewhat lost or distorted over time. For example, Han is explaining to Finn and Rey that all of the stories were true. Remember, in Universe, it isn't widely known that the Emperor was a Sith Lord. The official line was that he was attacked by the Jedi when they attempted to overthrow the Republic. In Lords of the Sith (which is canon), they were careful to hide the fact that the Emperor was a force user, so it stands to reason they kept this ruse up until his death. The Empire has been painted as a totalitarian state, so during the reign of Palpatine, it makes sense that there would be a lot of lost knowledge due to censorship and the like, which would still matter 30-35 years later.

If that's true, it is easy to believe that Vader was the one who led the extermination of the Jedi. Kylo Ren seems to be a dark side user who sees himself as an Heir to the Sith. If so, he would have to piece together the Sith tradition from what he can find because he won't have a trainer, so it makes sense that he would idolize Vader as the only widely known Sith going back to before Bane.

That said, I think his relation to Vader is that he is Han and Leia's son. The timing works out (he was probably born shortly after the Battle of Endor) from his age. I also think Adam Driver looks like he could be Han and Leia's son; he kind of looks like Jacen Solo to me.

Given what we've seen from JJ Abrams and Kasdan so far make me think they won't go the campy route and have him be a clone of Anakin or anyone else. Given that they took Lucas's script and put it directly into the garbage, I think they stay away from things like that and clones just reek of the prequels.

Given that they took Lucas's script and put it directly into the garbage, I think they stay away from things like that and clones just reek of the prequels.

There is a pretty good chance that Captain Phasma is a clone of some sort. Or perhaps a large majority of the new Troopers are cloned from her. At least the clones could aim, shoot and hit their targets in the prequels. Can't say that about the Stormies in the OT.

If that's true, it is easy to believe that Vader was the one who led the extermination of the Jedi. Kylo Ren seems to be a dark side user who sees himself as an Heir to the Sith. If so, he would have to piece together the Sith tradition from what he can find because he won't have a trainer, so it makes sense that he would idolize Vader as the only widely known Sith going back to before Bane.

If I'm not mistaken, at some point, we are taken back to Yavin 4. This is the same Yavin 4 crawling with Massassi warriors. It is also the same Yavin 4 that is the final resting place of the Sith Lord, Naga Sadow, or is it his final resting place? Sadow is the whole reason this war against the Jedi and Republic started, so wouldn't it be cool if Ren and company are trying to locate this guy, open his tomb(which I believe was alluded to way back when they started production on this film), and resurrect him in order to revive the Sith Order. Ren could learn the DS through Sadow, even IF he doesnt return to a body.

If I'm not mistaken, at some point, we are taken back to Yavin 4. This is the same Yavin 4 crawling with Massassi warriors. It is also the same Yavin 4 that is the final resting place of the Sith Lord, Naga Sadow, or is it his final resting place? Sadow is the whole reason this war against the Jedi and Republic started, so wouldn't it be cool if Ren and company are trying to locate this guy, open his tomb(which I believe was alluded to way back when they started production on this film), and resurrect him in order to revive the Sith Order. Ren could learn the DS through Sadow, even IF he doesnt return to a body.

As was mentioned, that's all non-canon now. Naga Sadow no longer existed in the Star Wars universe, at least until someone writes him back in.

Edited by -Chickenwalker-

I still think the cross-guard saber looks kinda silly, but everything else in this trailer was awesome. I love the Legends continuity, but I am really excited for TFA.

I know where your coming from. However, the saber is very crude or "Ancient" design and there's those of us that firmly beleive that the cross guard part is not actual blades, think along the lines of vents or exhaust ports. The saber was probably built with any real knowledge in how a saber is built. Or... as Is aid it's most likely it's of an ancient design thrown together with whatever parts that are available.

After two weeks I'm still watching this trailer. I love it. The effects are not so great in few scenes but we still have practical effects. John Boyega, Daisy Ridley <3 Lack of Poe though still saddens me a bit.

And have you seen how many people assume that Kylo=Luke? It's hilarious how they've did not any research on the actors before coming up with such theories.

There is a pretty good chance that Captain Phasma is a clone of some sort. Or perhaps a large majority of the new Troopers are cloned from her. At least the clones could aim, shoot and hit their targets in the prequels. Can't say that about the Stormies in the OT.

Um...what?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/127594/4609999-7822759337-43557.gif

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/127594/4610000-7834681872-43557.gif

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/127594/4610001-3698567739-43557.gif

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/127594/4610125-3359847748-94mpA.gif

I know where your coming from. However, the saber is very crude or "Ancient" design and there's those of us that firmly beleive that the cross guard part is not actual blades, think along the lines of vents or exhaust ports.

Vents? Exhaust ports? On a saber? You do know that a saber's beam has to be focused, right? Even if there are no side emitters, there has to be something focusing the smaller crossguards....a set of mirrors perhaps? However a set of mirrors wouldnt work either because the primary beam would then be reflected through the sides and would no longer be channelled via the apeture/primary emitter.

Regardless they have to be focused via something OTHER than the primary emitter, and that can be destroyed.

Case in point: Darth Maul's saberstaff. Twin emitters, one on each side. Kenobi sliced through and destroyed one.