Can we get Nico Okarr at all?

HumbleJedi

Okay, I'll say it again...

You had AMPLE warning AND opportunity to get Nico.

First they sent out emails telling every single person who plays this game or has played this game 'hey goober! We got us a Nico to give away to subs!'

Second they splashed it on the forums. They have his picture there.

Third they advertized 'hey subscribe and you get Nico! Woo woo!' on the LAUNCHER. Yes, it was ON THE LAUNCHER.

Fourth they EXTENDED the deadline until AUGUST 10, 2015 on that twitch stream during their twitch convention thingie. I know, I watched it cause I wanted to see the Outlander trailer.

YOU HAD FOUR DIFFERENT WARNINGS/ADVERTIZEMENTS THAT MENTIONED SUBSCRIBING FOR NICO BY JULY 31st OR AUGUST 10th TO GET NICO!!!!!

If you couldn't be bothered to subscribe by July 31st or August 10th, that is YOUR fault. HE IS EXCLUSIVE TO SUBS. You didn't sub? You ain't getting him. They're not going to put him on the cartel market, because if they did they'd have to put every single pre-order, CE, DIGITAL DELUX, and SUBSCRIBER ONLY item they EVER gave out on the CM. They won't do that because that would piss off ALL their subscribers. Sure, some don't care, but more do then you think.

Next time? If you know an expansion is coming, or whathave you, buy a sub, stay subbed, OR don't complain when you get nothing.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody cares about exclusive rewards until it's something they want and they didn't jump through whatever hoop they needed to to get it. Then they're wrong and immoral. Because while everybody wants to BE a special snowflake, nobody wants to not have something someone else does. Edited by ReverendAnderson

Nico is a reward for staying subscribed before the expansion. If they allow rewards like this be available later on they will not get that much subscribers the next time they say something is "special".

I do not mind who gets him, but I think players will not care about their pre launch items the next time if they let anyone get him later on.

• 3 months later...
And then they go and they give it to everyone.. heh.

Last time I checked, if someone wasn't subscribed, they aren't offered the quest. But stupid people say otherwise. Unless something is coming in 4.1 that they haven't shared with the rest of the world?

My only complaint is that Nico shows up under achievements even if you didn't qualify for him. It does frustrate me a bit seeing achievements that there I literally am unable to complete just because I didn't subscribe in time.

It's hardly the only one; though. For a long time the sharp-dresser achievement was unobtainable, and Tatooine is basically impossible to 100% nowadays.

My only complaint is that Nico shows up under achievements even if you didn't qualify for him. It does frustrate me a bit seeing achievements that there I literally am unable to complete just because I didn't subscribe in time.

Life's rough in the big city. AFAIK, the achievement gives your legacy nothing in terms of game mechanics, e.g., no CC and no title. So, who cares?

Life's rough in the big city. AFAIK, the achievement gives your legacy nothing in terms of game mechanics, e.g., no CC and no title. So, who cares?

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't, but it's bad design to sit there and show an achievement for something that is literally impossible to get. Since they do have the ability to hide achievements, that one should be hidden until you actually get Nico as a companion.

And then they go and they give it to everyone.. heh.

Which is actually a rumor and false. My best friend missed the sub date and has finished Chapter 9 and was not given the alert, so this is not true and it is a rumor that needs to die as it is spreading false information.

I will note that all of these are basically cosmetic items; they are either not necessary for game play (stronghold, titles), can be replaced by mechanically identical items (companions and crystals, or the pocket trainer). There's no reason to offer them again

The only way I see him coming back is as a renewed reward for subbing at some point, not a CM purchase.

Never gonna happen. They gotta keep these things a one-shot deal. They might release re-skins, re-colors or items of extraordinary similarity, but they are never gonna make available again the exact thing, by any means.

I'm not understanding things here. I got Nico as a companion by running one of the Alliance missions*. But, I'm a sub, so, is that mission only available to subs, and particularly, people who subbed at the proper time?

*The same sort of missions where you get other comps like M1-4X, Dr. Lokin, Quozen Fess, etc. The one for Nico simply involves mixing him a drink.

P.s. I'm aware that his pistols, and possibly the early access token, were only for subs.

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm not understanding things here. I got Nico as a companion by running one of the Alliance missions*. But, I'm a sub, so, is that mission only available to subs, and particularly, people who subbed at the proper time?

*The same sort of missions where you get other comps like M1-4X, Dr. Lokin, Quozen Fess, etc. The one for Nico simply involves mixing him a drink.

P.s. I'm aware that his pistols, and possibly the early access token, were only for subs.

The answer to your question is apparently "Yes". Those who subscribed and qualified for him receive an alert to recruit him. Those who did not qualify for him did not receive the alert to get him, so they did not recruit him.

The answer to your question is "Yes". Those who subscribed and qualified for him receive an alert AND a token to recruit him. Those who did not qualify for him did not receive the alert AND the token to get him, so they did not recruit him.

Oh for the love of.. Fixed.

The token and the alert mission are the same reward. They gave you the option to either wait to finish Chapter IX and recruit him using the alert quest OR using the token from the mail and unlock him instantly. However if you decide NOT to use the token and recruit him with the alert mission, you do get a secret achievement. The are no other differences. They're just two different ways to get the same result.

______

It's not free for all. People DO NOT get the alert mission AND the token if they didn't qualify for the reward(s) back in july/august 2015. Whoever says otherwise is an idiot.

Edited by JeKoCZ

• 4 weeks later...
Well, part of me hopes he does, part of me hopes he doesn't. I subbed literally 2 days after the start date for when you had to be subbed (Because I was getting back into the game after quitting for a while), so I really wish I could have gotten him. But on the other hand, I think the people who were subbed at the right time deserve an exclusive reward, as I got some of the other exclusives such as the speeder and Nico Okarr's coat. So I guess I'm torn.

Well, part of me hopes he does, part of me hopes he doesn't. I subbed literally 2 days after the start date for when you had to be subbed (Because I was getting back into the game after quitting for a while), so I really wish I could have gotten him. But on the other hand, I think the people who were subbed at the right time deserve an exclusive reward, as I got some of the other exclusives such as the speeder and Nico Okarr's coat. So I guess I'm torn.

You don't. My friend didn't sub in time for him but sub after the date so was able to do the expansion but she never received an alert to recruit him so it is only for those that sub by a specific date.

As of right now, no you can not.

If that will change in the future? Who knows but I don't think that they should since he is a reward for those of us that met the requirement to get him. If they did make him available to those that did not it would not upset me I just do not think it would be right.

This is the problem that having a reward with a set date like that creates. new/returning players see them and know to not bother subscribing, you cant get that stuff. City of Heroes had rewards that were triggered by number of months subscribed, ie: 18 months = reward x, 24 months = reward y. so a new player could see that if they stayed subbed for 24 months they would get rewards x and y, 30 months x,y and z. It gave them incentive to stay subscribed and the devs didnt have to scratch up some bribe every few months. as of right now, the nico reward is doing nothing for them, because it is only incentive to find a game that you can get into from the ground floor, not stay with swtor where the good rewards are long gone and will never come again.

Edited by ivanhedgehog