Can we get Nico Okarr at all?

HumbleJedi

incidentally. does it bother you that people can buy Nar Shadaa stronghold right now? after all.. subscribers on a specific date got rooms unlocked at no additional cost. and now anyone can just buy that stronghold! :rolleyes:

why not mace Nico work the same as Nar Shadaa stronghold?

The Stronghold itself was NEVER offered as an exclusive reward to subs and you know it! All they offered subs was how many rooms were already unlocked when you got the hold.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All true and well put.

However, you need to remember some people are entitled and they won't be quiet about this issue ever.

Personally - if this happens, if it appears on the CM then that's it with pre-ordering and retaining subs when I really don't need to for me.

I'll just drop the sub for the 4 months leading to an expansion and then buy the "exclusive" items later.

Except Nico was never labeled as "exclusive" in any of the advertisements for him - there was a grand total of one statement that could arguably imply that he was exclusive:

Hey folks,

As I mentioned in my previous post, the plan for getting Nico in Fallen Empire was that you would recruit him into your Alliance as you were playing through the storyline. However, knowing the concerns about how you access Nico, we are also going to send you a token in the mail which will allow you to have Nico right away. If you want to get Nico as a part of playing through Fallen Empire, you can still do that. Just delete the token from your mail and you will get him naturally. On the flip side, if you claim the token we will still let you do his recruitment mission later on, you will just already have him.

This way the decision is in your hands on whether you want to get him as a part of the recruitment, or if you just want him right away. And it is worth repeating, that Nico is only accessible to those subscribers who qualified for him.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion (which I created ;)).

-eric

and that statement came in the context of an ongoing discussion over how the people who already qualified for Nico through this promotion would gain access to him on the 20th/27th. Eric's statement there could just be clarifying that the in-game mail token is only going to those who qualified, so that someone new/uninformed wouldn't read his post and think that just by virtue of being a subscriber on the 27th they automatically get him too - it might not be a 'for all time' declaration that there will never be another way to get him.

Subscriber rewards in the past have not always been exclusive content - Nico might be KotFE's equivalent to the free Nar Shaddaa Stronghold subscribers got in advance of GSH. We get it for no additional charge, but others can pay for it later via the market.

Not saying "Oh, it's 100% certain that Nico will be on the CM", I'm just saying that if he was really going to be exclusive I would have expected "Exclusive" or "Only way to get him!" to be plastered over the advertisements and promotional stuff - it seems like they've deliberately left the door open to putting him on the Market if they decide they want to.

incidentally. does it bother you that people can buy Nar Shadaa stronghold right now? after all.. subscribers on a specific date got rooms unlocked at no additional cost. and now anyone can just buy that stronghold! :rolleyes: why not mace Nico work the same as Nar Shadaa stronghold?

Be careful on how you word this as your words can be taken directly and sugggesting that Nico work the same as Nar Shadda is making Nico more expensive that I think most would pay.

Rooms you could get for free (up to 5)

Northwest Room Free* | 450k or 650 CC

Northeast Room Free* | 450k or 650 CC

Main Room Free** | 2.25 mil or 2200 CC

East Stairway Free** | 250k or 425 CC

Total cost for those now: 2,251,150 with Credits or 4,575 Cartel coins.

So if you are going to suggest that Nico work like Nar Shadda rooms that you now have to pay to open that would make Nico cost over 2m in credits or 4,575 cartel coins and I am not sure that is what most people would be willing to pay for a companion.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Be careful on how you word this as your words can be taken directly and sugggesting that Nico work the same as Nar Shadda is making Nico more expensive that I think most would pay.

So if you are going to suggest that Nico work like Nar Shadda rooms that you now have to pay to open that would make Nico cost over 2m in credits or 4,575 cartel coins and I am not sure that is what most people would be willing to pay for a companion.

Doing it that way iirc would make Nico more expensive to buy via CCs then Treek. :eek:

Snowflakes everywhere! :p

I sub, I've been sub'd and I'll get the companion ...put him on the CM next week for all I care but give me more crap to buy!

If people want some sort of cosmetic in this game...let em have a way to get it. I mean if some player really has it for Nico and dreams up all sorts of fun RP he wants to do with him, let him buy it.

I understand the idea that releasing Nico right onto the CM will sort of / somehow devalue the initial requirements put on us subscribers to get him but who cares, get over it. Let everyone throw money at BW...that just means more cool **** for all!!!

I am not a believer in participation trophies hahah.

1. I have to keep correcting it, but to get nico you only had to subscribe on one of those those two dates - july31, or august 10. you didn't have to STAY subscribed. so nico's current cost is ONE month of subscription. not three. ONE.

2. kinda the point. you were able to get holotrainer by other means. you had to pay for it, but you were able to get a holotrainer. why shouldn't people be able to BUY Nico at a later date? make him cost higher, like I offered 2400 cartel coins or equivalent of $20. still costs those that didn't take advantage of promotion more, but at least we are not restricting content.

If you wanted the early access "privilege" you had to stay subbed from july until now. I don't care about his blasters and dusters and I will most likely scrap/leave the items in the mails and I'll only retrieve the speeder. But I wanted the early access even if it will be open beta testing and probably broken as hell. That was my decision of spending money from july up until now.

My point is simple. I didn't get that particular holostatue which was a preorder exclusive item, but 2 years later I got 2 other holostatues which serve the same purpose, just a different 3d model. That's the difference. I didn't buy the hutt statute, I bought a statue with Malgus and/or Satele. I'm fine with that. I can still do what I needed the statues for.

All this Nico drama you guys are pulling out is pointless. There was a time period you needed to be subbed in order to get him. You qualified? Good. You didn't? Bad for you. End of story. You're not even losing anything story-side. He will be in the story regardless if you have the token for the companion or not. You're just losing a smuggler companion. But hey, Vette dual wield blasters just like him and can be dressed like Leia in slave **** outfits while Nico can't because he would look really gay. So Vette is better than Nico. They will play exactly the same.

They have already confirmed via Musco during the latest livestream that there will be new companions in the new cartel packs which will be combat-only, so not usable for crafting or sent on missions and most likely not gathering nodes while active with you planetside. Mostly animals like Akk dogs, but maybe there will be humans/humanoid companions aswell. That's what you're asking for. You're asking to buy a companion and you will be able to. It won't be Nico, but it will be something which will serve the same purpose.

tl;dr

You didn't qualify for Nico, but still want to buy a new companion? You can. The preorder exclusive item will remain exclusive to whoever qualified for it, but there will be similar items available for purchase which will serve the same purpose.

I think it is pathetic that the hutt holotrainer isn't on the CM... and I am one of the few lucky enough to get him.

Having the holotrainer doesn't make me special. It isn't a badge of honour for preordering the first expac.

Nico and the hutt holotrainer need to be in the same boat. free to people who qualified for them at the time, and on the CM for those that didn't.

This is a business, not a charity. Preorder items are meant to be incentives for people to spend money in advance or pay more for something extra. It has always been like that, not only in this game. If the preorder items are later given away for everyone, why would people waste more money than others in the future if in the end everyone gets to buy them? No incentives to preorder via offering exclusive items, nobody preorders, developers and publishers lose money.

I remember when FNV was released years ago and the preorder items (Although mostly useless) were never given out to the general public as a later purchasable pack. Modders and pirates eventually managed to get those items in the game for everyone anyway, but Bethesda never sold them separately. That's just an example, most company do the same. BW is no exception.

Edited by JeKoCZ

Except Nico was never labeled as "exclusive" in any of the advertisements for him - there was a grand total of one statement that could arguably imply that he was exclusive:

and that statement came in the context of an ongoing discussion over how the people who already qualified for Nico through this promotion would gain access to him on the 20th/27th. Eric's statement there could just be clarifying that the in-game mail token is only going to those who qualified, so that someone new/uninformed wouldn't read his post and think that just by virtue of being a subscriber on the 27th they automatically get him too - it might not be a 'for all time' declaration that there will never be another way to get him.

Subscriber rewards in the past have not always been exclusive content - Nico might be KotFE's equivalent to the free Nar Shaddaa Stronghold subscribers got in advance of GSH. We get it for no additional charge, but others can pay for it later via the market.

Not saying "Oh, it's 100% certain that Nico will be on the CM", I'm just saying that if he was really going to be exclusive I would have expected "Exclusive" or "Only way to get him!" to be plastered over the advertisements and promotional stuff - it seems like they've deliberately left the door open to putting him on the Market if they decide they want to.

Actually, it DID say exclusive. http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire/home Now it says exclusive for the speeder, but yeah... That changed each time it was up to a new reward. The first one said exclusive for Nico.

If you wanted the early access "privilege" you had to stay subbed from july until now. I don't care about his blasters and dusters and I will most likely scrap/leave the items in the mails and I'll only retrieve the speeder. But I wanted the early access even if it will be open beta testing and probably broken as hell. That was my decision of spending money from july up until now.

My point is simple. I didn't get that particular holostatue which was a preorder exclusive item, but 2 years later I got 2 other holostatues which serve the same purpose, just a different 3d model. That's the difference. I didn't buy the hutt statute, I bought a statue with Malgus and/or Satele. I'm fine with that. I can still do what I needed the statues for.

All this Nico drama you guys are pulling out is pointless. There was a time period you needed to be subbed in order to get him. You qualified? Good. You didn't? Bad for you. End of story. You're not even losing anything story-side. He will be in the story regardless if you have the token for the companion or not. You're just losing a smuggler companion. But hey, Vette dual wield blasters just like him and can be dressed like Leia in slave **** outfits while Nico can't because he would look really gay. So Vette is better than Nico. They will play exactly the same.

They have already confirmed via Musco during the latest livestream that there will be new companions in the new cartel packs which will be combat-only, so not usable for crafting or sent on missions and most likely not gathering nodes while active with you planetside. Mostly animals like Akk dogs, but maybe there will be humans/humanoid companions aswell. That's what you're asking for. You're asking to buy a companion and you will be able to. It won't be Nico, but it will be something which will serve the same purpose.

tl;dr

You didn't qualify for Nico, but still want to buy a new companion? You can. The preorder exclusive item will remain exclusive to whoever qualified for it, but there will be similar items available for purchase which will serve the same purpose.

I remember when FNV was released years ago and the preorder items (Although mostly useless) were never given out to the general public as a later purchasable pack. Modders and pirates eventually managed to get those items in the game for everyone anyway, but Bethesda never sold them separately. That's just an example, most company do the same. BW is no exception.

sigh. early acess has nothing to do with Nico. well it has something to do, but while Nico is a requirement for early acess? early acess is NOT a requirement to get Nico. the difference? $30.

moreover. Nico is not a generic companion. he is a companion with a STORY and LORE attached.

Fallout New Vegas and fluff? its FLUFF. its cosmetic. that's the difference. cosmetic rewards being unique is fine.

last but not least? i did actualy qualify both for Nico and early acess. this is NOT about me. its about new players coming in and realizing that they cannot acess part of the story, solely because they weren't subscribers on a specific day.

oh and btw? speaking of unique cosmetic rewards and such. guess what bioware is bringing back and its one of the few changes for expac that I actualy personally LOVE. those armors that were rewards for participation in Chevin and original raq event (which I WAS a part of, but didn't get full sets, chosing instead to spend currency in other ways, well that and during raq, I only had a high level imp, so didn't get to do the quests on my pub)

I have a preorder crystal. when they recently released a cartel crystal that looks a lot like it, just slightly different shade... well.. so what? when raq green/black crystals because common instead of super rare like they used to be. well.. so what? if in game bits are status symbols for you, well.... if I were you, i would reconcider how you measure your personal worth.

P.S. that charity comment is making me lol. precisely BECAUSE its a business, they should offer him up for sale at a later date. because its a for profit business, not a charity for boosting self esteem of people who think that subscribing on a specific date should make them special.

Edited by Jeweledleah

may be so. but at least he would be available (and unlike Nar SHadaa that can also be purchased with credits, just making him cc only could justify slightly lower price, even if said price is still higher then cost of one month of subscription)

They will be able to access his story but it will be more along the Lana/Theron way where as the people who qualify for him will be able to use him outside of the kotfe instances. He is nothing special outside of that as he will just be a skin that can dps/tank/heal like the others. Edited by dlcman

Actually, it DID say exclusive. http://www.swtor.com/fallen-empire/home Now it says exclusive for the speeder, but yeah... That changed each time it was up to a new reward. The first one said exclusive for Nico.

Ah, if it used to call him "exclusive" on there for a while then that would change my assessment.

I found the absence of that word in the advertisements, emails, etc notable, since that's usually the sort of thing you'd have bolded, double-underlined, and splashed over every line of an advertisement to get people's impulse buying kicked into high gear.

Nah I'm used to paying for expansions, I'm still bitter about F2P, but I'm going getting butthurt that new subs will be getting all expansions for free.

"/

I find this funny.

You are bitter about something that is FREE.

Personally I fee Bioware dropping the ball if people can F2P more than just Demo the game and see if they like it. SUBS are basically funding your F2P.

It should work exactly like that for players who want Nico at a future point in time, plus an additional amount of CC for collections unlock (including gear set I'll add). Aside from the story mission to recruit, he is a simple generic companion as of 4.0 - the exact same as every other companion in that regards.

It was offered as a reward for being subscribed during the lead up to KotFE, which with gear, was 3 months of subscription. So $45 or £27 (or whatever currency you use) should be the cost, plus another 500-700CC to unlock in collections. The speeder should also be available via the Cartel Market at a future point in time, again for a similar cost of $15 or £9 (or whatever currency you use), and again, unlockable via collections for another 500-700CC.

It would be a poor business decision to not make them available for those that want them at a later date, and the more money the game makes the more secure it makes it's future.

Look at it from that perspective.

Would I have an issue with something I've gained for free, for something I was paying for anyway, to become available at a later date for an equivalent cost? Of course not, I'll already have it.

Regardless of how upset some people are that they missed out on him it is what it is. He will be available to everyone during the new chapters that hes involved with. After that he will only be a companion for anyone who was either subbed on July 31st or Aug 10th. If you missed him too bad for you. Sure it sucks but again QQ somewhere else. They have stuck to their guns with Subscriber rewards being only for Subs as they should. So if you think you can change their minds with a new thread of the same old hashed out topic then keep going its not going to do anything. Wanna spend CC to get him, wont happen but you can spend those CC's to get companions from the Cartel market that will be pack only. Should i get those Cartel companions for free because i'm a sub and it should include everything in the game. LMAO not going to happen.

This should end all of the topic.

Hey folks,

As I mentioned in my previous post, the plan for getting Nico in Fallen Empire was that you would recruit him into your Alliance as you were playing through the storyline. However, knowing the concerns about how you access Nico, we are also going to send you a token in the mail which will allow you to have Nico right away. If you want to get Nico as a part of playing through Fallen Empire, you can still do that. Just delete the token from your mail and you will get him naturally. On the flip side, if you claim the token we will still let you do his recruitment mission later on, you will just already have him.

This way the decision is in your hands on whether you want to get him as a part of the recruitment, or if you just want him right away. And it is worth repeating, that Nico is only accessible to those subscribers who qualified for him.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion (which I created ;)).

-eric

Reading this it makes it sound like everyone will get him the only difference is if you subbed then you get him at the start instead of later on. Of course they never said he would be available to everyone when they were pushing the sub thing.....

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Hey folks,

Hopefully that clears up any confusion (which I created ).

-eric

They will be able to access his story but it will be more along the Lana/Theron way where as the people who qualify for him will be able to use him outside of the kotfe instances. He is nothing special outside of that as he will just be a skin that can dps/tank/heal like the others.

This. For the love of fracking god this.

The people who couldnt be bothered to sub in time (no sympathy here, you can take 2 minutes to resub on your phone via the website while sitting on the toilet ffs) you will still get to encounter Nico, you will be able to have him run around with you in whatever story capacity he has for kotfe. You will not however, get to keep him -outside- of kotfe, so please cut the "but i wont get to see his story!" crap.

Again, you couldnt be bothered to sub in the long period of time that was given to get him, thats -ALL- on you. (even kids can mow lawns, sell papers et cetera, for $15)

They sent out emails promoting him, if you didnt bother reading the mail, again, all on you.

Stores have sales all the time for limited items, let me guess, your one of those people who go in and demand they find and sell you those items even though you didnt bother to go to the store when they were selling them arent you?

Whats next, a "noob" starts playing and makes a inquisitor, then he has a warrior run past him with vette dressed skanky, and decides he wants a skanky vette too, but he doesnt want to go through all the trouble and hardship of rolling a warrior, just let him buy a vette from the cm!

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Eric has said otherwise.

You just can't get him early if you missed him now. You still get him albeit temporarily, just you have to play through the story to get him.

Which I'm surprised they aren't monetizing it given the popularity of the two we can already purchase. I don't know what the cost for creating companions are in development compared to what they are getting from the store, but seems like they are missing out on a very big market there.

Edited by Deyjarl

You just can't get him early if you missed him now. You still get him albeit temporarily, just you have to play through the story to get him.

Which I'm surprised they are giving him for free given how popular the two companions are. I don't know what the cost for creating companions are to what they are getting from the store, but seems like they are missing out on a very big market there.

Eric ' s quote has been posted multiple times. You do not get him as a companion if you didn't get the reward. You'll see him in KotFE but he will not be a permenant companion if you did not sub for the reward.

Eric ' s quote has been posted multiple times. You do not get him as a companion if you didn't get the reward. You'll see him in KotFE but he will not be a permenant companion if you did not sub for the reward.

That is what I mean by temporarily. We'll have him like Theron for awhile.

But again, I'd be surprised if they don't add him to the store some day in the future.

But again, I'd be surprised if they don't add him to the store some day in the future.

I wouldn't count on it. Much like The Black-Purple crystals, Jaba hologram, and so on these items are still exclusive to subscribers that qualified for them on the specific dates.

Why doesn't everyone who just joined the game petition Bioware for the Founder title. Seems only fair by most of the arguments made here. I mean Bioware could charge CC for that title why keep it exclusive to those of us that have been here since Beta :rolleyes:

As of right now, no you can not.

If that will change in the future? Who knows but I don't think that they should since he is a reward for those of us that met the requirement to get him. If they did make him available to those that did not it would not upset me I just do not think it would be right.

well said and i agree

all you numbnuts whining about missing part of the story fail to realize you will interact with him in the story before he is recruitable, and once he becomes your companion, his part of the story is done.

Edited by MWidowmaker