Can we get Nico Okarr at all?

HumbleJedi

Now in regards to getting subscriber rewards while not being a subscriber
That's not what I asked though. Just to renew the same offer that expired. Meaning making the companion a subscriber reward again.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I asked though. Just to renew the same offer that expired. Meaning making the companion a subscriber reward again.

I still really don't get why some people want him so badly. The only reason I can think of is the entitlement shining through - the whole "I can't have him, so I want him" thing. It's not as if we don't already have access to far too many companions anyway, and he doesn't do anything, he doesn't add to conversations, you can only increase affection with gifts - he doesn't even talk in the one cutscene he was in.

If it makes you feel any better, track down an audio of his line, and play it on repeat while you use any other companion.

I still really don't get why some people want him so badly. The only reason I can think of is the entitlement shining through - the whole "I can't have him, so I want him" thing. It's not as if we don't already have access to far too many companions anyway, and he doesn't do anything, he doesn't add to conversations, you can only increase affection with gifts - he doesn't even talk in the one cutscene he was in.

If it makes you feel any better, track down an audio of his line, and play it on repeat while you use any other companion.

There was an achievement for the little umbrella, I think. And he does have lines in his recruitment quest, and that's pretty much it. Oh, and an achievement for a character not using teh little token and just recruiting him without it. But I agree, he doesn't do much.

Wait a few months for the Light Side/Dark Side event and you can get a new companion that way. It will be exclusive to the event, so you can hold that prize over people who subscribe after the event is over, such as those following the hype of Rogue One.

People have preferences simple as that. Nico fits perfectly my smuggler crew and that's a character featured in the cinematic, contrarily to a lot of companions that were forced upon us. Then that's no surprise we care about this one more than some others? The fact that Bioware got lazy with his dialogues does not change much. Same thing for Thana Vesh, sergeant Jaxo , etc except these one will never see the light of the day.

People have preferences simple as that. Nico fits perfectly my smuggler crew and that's a character featured in the cinematic, contrarily to a lot of companions that were forced upon us. Then that's no surprise we care about this one more than some others? The fact that Bioware got lazy with his dialogues does not change much. Same thing for Thana Vesh, sergeant Jaxo , etc except these one will never see the light of the day.

You know he doesn't appear in your ship right? Just dress one of your other companions up like him.

Edited by GelstonJ

Here is hoping the Queen is enjoying Moose-track or Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream.

Now in regards to getting subscriber rewards while not being a subscriber....

Do I expect to win the lottery without buying a ticket? No.

If I show up a half hour late to a movie, do I expect them to start it over? No.

If I do not do Ops, do I expect Ops level gear? No.

If I do not subscribe, do I expect subscriber rewards? No.

To use the tag line from the game....Choices matter. You chose not to subscribe, and you got what happens with that choice. No subscriber rewards.

I wish you could +1 posts in this game this is perfect.

I'd say that after 600+ hours of voice acted dialogues in the vanilla game not counting the 3 main expansions and the rest of free updates like Ziost, they've earned the right to slow down a bit.

He was in the first cinematic, so what? He's not part of the current story either so it doesn't make a difference if you have it or not. You have it? Good for you. You don't? Wait for the next toy. Chances are a new companion gated behind subscribers rewards might come one day, eventually.

I don't ever use nico in the field, my nico is a crew skill companion pure and simple, along with Treek, HK-51 and the ships droid being the first companion I level up influence with as I know regardless I will not really loose them during kotfe (treek and HK-51 are still available, so is nico I think until his recruitment mission and then you get ships droid back too after chapter 9 which is why I prioritise them first when it comes to gifts)

I don't ever use nico in the field, my nico is a crew skill companion pure and simple, along with Treek, HK-51 and the ships droid being the first companion I level up influence with as I know regardless I will not really loose them during kotfe (treek and HK-51 are still available, so is nico I think until his recruitment mission and then you get ships droid back too after chapter 9 which is why I prioritise them first when it comes to gifts)

Note that HK-55 is not obtainable prior to KotFE. I wonder if that was their original plan for Nico, and someone changed their mind. A new character gets the "you have HK-55" email from character generation, just like with Nico, but no way to get him. Having Nico is a mechanical advantage, something rare in sub rewards.

Note that HK-55 is not obtainable prior to KotFE. I wonder if that was their original plan for Nico, and someone changed their mind. A new character gets the "you have HK-55" email from character generation, just like with Nico, but no way to get him. Having Nico is a mechanical advantage, something rare in sub rewards.

Not one I didn't already have with HK-51 and Treek. You can only send out two guys at a time at first.

I am pretty sure it was their intention to only have him after chapter 9, but when so many players complained about getting him only after chapter 9 rather than how Treek and HK-51 worked, they then introduced the token to get him earlier, but made a 'achievement' if you waited for him.

Not one I didn't already have with HK-51 and Treek. You can only send out two guys at a time at first.

No but if you know you won't ever really loose them and the fact that you can level to 60 fast enough means having 4 rank 20 companions during chapter 1 is really useful, plus knowing you won't loose them for any period of time you can rank them even higher than that.

No but if you know you won't ever really loose them and the fact that you can level to 60 fast enough means having 4 rank 20 companions during chapter 1 is really useful, plus knowing you won't loose them for any period of time you can rank them even higher than that.

You don't really lose any of your companions anyways. You can get them back from the terminal.

You have a point, but I don't think that everyone wants to return their companions that way.

I'm kind of getting to the point where I don't understand this stance. I have recovered one companion (Mako) via the terminal. I'm taking two characters through KotFE at this time and one will not be bringing in any comps from the terminal... just because.

But, for affection and combat purposes, there is really no reason not to bring them back. They'll still return, as planned, during the story. Returning them early won't change anything except the influence that you have with them when they do return in the story.

In my mind, anything done outside of the chapters is just extra stuff and not really part of the story. So it is not immersion-breaking to run around with a previous companion.

I don't know... just my opinion.

Personally.. I think Subscriber rewards should be time based. Every month you're subscribed (or some other arbitrary amount, like every 3 months) nets you another neat reward. This way, if you've been playing consistently since say.. beta, you'll net a crap ton of rewards for being so loyal. Or if life happens (as it did to me) and you have to choose between paying your rent or eating vs playing a game... your accrued time simply gets paused. In addition, for the new player who just now stumbles onto the game.. those vaunted rewards are not held forever out of reach, but they will have to subscribe just as long as you did to earn said rewards.

I've always thought that was a fair option since those players who have been subscribed would earn the reward quicker and know that for anyone else that joins.. you got to have it that much longer.

Personally.. I think Subscriber rewards should be time based. Every month you're subscribed (or some other arbitrary amount, like every 3 months) nets you another neat reward. This way, if you've been playing consistently since say.. beta, you'll net a crap ton of rewards for being so loyal. Or if life happens (as it did to me) and you have to choose between paying your rent or eating vs playing a game... your accrued time simply gets paused. In addition, for the new player who just now stumbles onto the game.. those vaunted rewards are not held forever out of reach, but they will have to subscribe just as long as you did to earn said rewards.

I've always thought that was a fair option since those players who have been subscribed would earn the reward quicker and know that for anyone else that joins.. you got to have it that much longer.

That would be fine going forward if rewards worked that way, however I would exclude all prior rewards for the exact same reason that has been stated countless times in this thread about timed exclusives which should stay exactly as they are, you missed it you missed it.

Not during Chapters I to VIII, nor even Chapter IX before you get into the war room instance.

What? you don't need anyone else, you've got MC Valkorian to keep you company, then you get LANA! ARCHER! erm, sorry, then you get DJ Kothy Koth. and your team is complete. What else could you possibly need? Oh yeah, and Senya. But, she's just a groupie so yeah, just hanging out back stage, trying to get a glimpse of MC Valk and ribbing DJ Koth.

oh, and for those of you wondering it was chocolate peanut butter ice cream.

And this is why sub rewards or things only obtainable for a limited amount of time should be purely cosmetic or convenient. Nico and HK-55 is neither one of these things and remain mechanically useful throughout his entire existence which creates this sort of empty feeling when you don't have him, and you feel... sort of... "handicapped" persay when you don't have them. As bad as all those other HK rewards are they remain cosmetic or convenient which doesn't cause to much distress in not having them, albeit they could feel better if it revolved around a better theme.

Instead of these "one time limited off deals" they should include a loyalty system where each month you remain subbed you get a certain amount of points, after awhile you can obtain enough of these points you buy Nico... or whatever you want, as this rewards long time subs and doesn't have that empty/handicapped feeling missing out on him knowing you can always obtain them later.

I suggested this months ago and got flamed for it. Good luck trying to get community support and getting BW to change their stance on rewards. They seem to want to focus on the "short term" subs through the current system, rather than "long term" with the "cumulative time" or "vetted" system most other games use.