Why are they selling XP as an advantage to level sync?

silviaslack

Getting XP after level cap in this game is completely useless.

True if you're not capped yet you can level where you want but that's an extremely short term benefit, not nearly enough to see it as a benefit to a system as a whole.

So, what's the deal?

Are they planning another big change they haven't told us about yet?

Something on the line of Rift's Planar Attunement or GW2 skill points?

I fail to understand why anyone cares either way.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Whether you care or not, you'd have to be pretty blind to not see why some people would take exception to the whole concept of level sync.

I agree with the OP... experience as the only reward is pretty lack-lustre. The pro-synchers who praise this as the "revival of SWTOR" or making all old content "relevant" again.... how? It's just experience. It's not exactly difficult to get in this game.

Give us unique rewards if you want to nudge people into doing all the side/exploration quests.... You know, toys, mounts, armour sets, all those cool things you stuff your Cartel Market packs with.....

Create "Exploration" Commendations which are rewarded upon the completion of all these optional side quests... Create new vendors that have a whole whack of new silly toys/emotes/mounts/etc that we can use our Exploration commendations on....

But of course, that would require a little more work then simply changing a few numbers around in Exp tables....

Edited by RavageXX

True if you're not capped yet you can level where you want but that's an extremely short term benefit, not nearly enough to see it as a benefit to a system as a whole.

So, what's the deal?

I don't know about other plans but they have to list every positive aspect they can think of even if it isn't much like the gear you'll get according to your real level is very unlikely to be anything you'll use for a long time or won't dump for something crafted, or from a comms vendor.

The only upside of gain xp is really the main point of level sync make old content part of the grind, give themselves more space/time to make more content and not have the content from 4 years ago be just filler in the streamlined leveling process as well as the tie in with conquest.

Down the line with level 70 you can do those heroics again, then 75 and 80 cause you and your friends like running those old heroics for conquest to gain crafting mats but you don't have to cause all planets will sync you and grant xp if you can't stand to run the single unified story to hit max level 40+ times.

So, what's the deal?

Level sync does not only apply to people at the level cap. If I run all the missions on DK I will, presumably, arrive with a higher than expected level at Balmorra...continue in this trend and I will eventually arrive on a planet already level synched to it's max level.

This will allow me to run all the content, should I so choose, and be rewarded for doing so. It may be a short-term benefit, and it may not apply to you ever, but it is still a benefit.

Level sync does not only apply to people at the level cap. If I run all the missions on DK I will, presumably, arrive with a higher than expected level at Balmorra...continue in this trend and I will eventually arrive on a planet already level synched to it's max level.

This will allow me to run all the content, should I so choose, and be rewarded for doing so. It may be a short-term benefit, and it may not apply to you ever, but it is still a benefit.

You could run all the content without level sync. This changes nothing in that regard.

You could run all the content without level sync. This changes nothing in that regard.

That assumes that there will be some way to turn off augmented XP for the class and planetary quest chains. If not, then you will eventually grey out those quests. Sure you could still do them but this way you'll get meaningful XP for them.

Again, just because you see no benefit in this doesn't mean no one does.

That assumes that there will be some way to turn off augmented XP for the class and planetary quest chains. If not, then you will eventually grey out those quests. Sure you could still do them but this way you'll get meaningful XP for them.

Again, just because you see no benefit in this doesn't mean no one does.

You make no sense...save your class quests until the end if you're afraid of greying out the missions, but they're still there to be run if you want...despite your level. Even at 60 I have beginner Trooper quests in my log that I can do...I'll get no XP, but you'll face the exact same problem no matter what level you descale down to...if it's not quests on Nar Shaddaa that are grey, it'll be a quest on Corellia or Rishi that turns grey.

Edited by TUXs

You make no sense...save your class quests until the end if you're afraid of greying out the missions, but they're still there to be run if you want...despite your level. Even at 60 I have beginner Trooper quests in my log that I can do...I'll get no XP, but you'll face the exact same problem no matter what level you descale down to...if it's not quests on Nar Shaddaa that are grey, it'll be a quest on Corellia or Rishi that turns grey.

But if he wants to level fully on one planet and skip the next, he won't be punished for doing so as he will be getting rewards.

Just to be clear, the KOTFE storyline will not have enough in it to get you from level 60-65. If it did, there would be zero reason for a level 60 to go back to low level worlds to gain xp. Even without the x12, the Forged alliance flashpoints, Rishi and Yavin together were plenty to get you from 55-60.

So KOTFE will be less content than SoR? Even being lazy, I finished all of SoR on two toons during early access last year. Since then I've gotten ten other toons through SoR but it was super boring since the storyline was identical for each. The Ziost mini world took exactly one afternoon per toon, again being lazy. It was also super boring after the first couple toons since the story is the same every time.

BW is now acknowledging that their story is going to be too short and super boring after one or two playthroughs, so they've reintroduced every previous world we've already played to death on numerous toons as new endgame content to distract everyone from the upcoming lack of actual new content.

Every time they release something new story wise , it's way too short and largely only interesting with a single playthrough, after which people complain there's nothing to do. Now, you will never again out level any content, which is great, if you skipped all kinds of content on your way to 60...which many, many people did with 12x exp. Bravo there, I guess. Well played. Of course, then the question becomes: if you are super pumped to see those skipped storylines now, why did you skip them in the first place? Why would a new player jump right to 60 to experience a new story when they haven't even played through the hundreds and hundreds of hours of story content that has been in the game since launch? And if you did play through it already, don't you already have level 60s? Is the brand new player who starts a level 60 agent right out of the gate, skipping the entirety of that awesome storyline, really going to be the same player that will be super fascinated by the one-shot KOTFE storyline? The level sync plus free 60 with more cartel market 60s plus the past months of 12x exp seem to be working at cross purposes. Skip the non-repeatable content so that you can go back and do some of the repeatable content that you skipped? What?

What about people who didn't skip content? You know, the people who played through the storylines, the side missions and the planetary storylines and bonus series, all of the flashpoints and operations as they leveled or went back and finished them all off during one of the past content droughts? What are they getting out of this? The chance to replay heroics they've already memorized on Hoth and Tatooine after they finish the few new KOTFE missions?

If you think BW is going to be releasing a constant stream of unique and time consuming story (that will last longer than a few days each time) every month from here on out, I'd like to point to every other time they've touted an upcoming content cycle of X content every Y weeks and completely failed to meet deadlines.

BW stories are cool and all to a point, but their "choices matter" catchphrase never actually pays off in any meaningful way unless you happen to choose to abandon/kill an npc or plot line they were already intending to write out of the story. It's a restriction of the medium and not something I blame them for or expect them to somehow overcome in a game with a persistent world populated by thousands of players. I will however call them out on expecting people to buy that KOTFE will be any different. RotHC wasn't. SoR wasn't. KOTFE might be instanced for each player, but the Jedi will play out like the Smuggler like the Sith like the Agent, like every class did in SoR: a couple throw away lines recognizing you are the Wrath or Hero of Tython or Leader of Havoc Squad or what have you, and you'll be regathering old companions to add to the new companions, but it is a single storyline, not eight different paths leading to bringing down Zakuul in unique ways tied directly to your class.

Then again, maybe they'll surprise everyone with chapter 16 having 8 different paths to victory depending on class and we will all be super pumped to play through the KOTFE storyline at least eight times to see them all. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe.

Anyway, end to wall of text.

Edited by Nothing_Shines