Advice that every advanced PvPer should know.

kissingaiur

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The terminology is discussed here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8466618&postcount=3

Looks like it is differentiated by the degree of tankiness on a DPS or DPS on a tank, and the role queued as.

TY Domi.

Since when did agreeing with someone, and finding their humurous post amusing classify you as a "white knight"?? BTW I'm a female, so it's not white knighting.

I see nothing wrong with a player stance dancing in the middle of a fight. Smart jugs do it a lot in solo ranked matches. I don't see anything wrong with it because you are still taking 50% of the targets damage as a DPS in DPS gear. Skank tanking is another story all together.

we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on this, but I'll throw this out before I leave it alone: your team has one (or more!) players capable of tossing a guard at a moment's notice. mine does not. you can divert HALF of my team's focus fire simply by throwing up an instant guard. yes. you take dmg. but we're not hitting you. we just blew our load on your buddy and did literally half the dmg to him that we actually did (after all his mitigation, dcds, etc. are accounted for). half. now the other team is spent for a cycle and neither you nor your guarded teammate is in dire circumstances. you focus my team, but we don't have anyone who can guard.

guards circumvent the only GOOD thing about yolo: role matching. they're far more significant than off healing. if you're off healing, you're losing gcds to cast off heals. if you're guarding, you can still...you know...do stuff while diverting HALF of w/e dmg the opponents are putting out.

imo, you're going to use it because you can, and you're going to justify it being "legit" because you can. I mean...it's only a breaking point for yolo, so it's really tough for the inept combat team to prevent you from doing it just for yolo, but I don't think that makes it "legit." it makes it something impossible to police.

you become a tank in a game where you're the only tank. that's a massive advantage. it also pisses me off b/c teams that don't need it do it (like rubbing salt in the wound) and the inverse, teams that would legit get throttled do it but now their sniper lives and our merc gets slaughtered. yeah. good job there...I guess.

Edited by foxmob

If tanking gets moved to tank only, off heals do need to get nerfed otherwise that'll be the next big thing. Also Tanks in DPS gear are doing too much damage ( and yes part of this is the uselessness of tank stats aside from shield )

If tanking gets moved to tank only, off heals do need to get nerfed otherwise that'll be the next big thing. Also Tanks in DPS gear are doing too much damage ( and yes part of this is the uselessness of tank stats aside from shield )

some ACs/specs do need to be nerfed in terms of off heals. however, equating off heals with guard is ridiculous. think more along the lines of taunts. except taunts are off the gcd. I do think lethality and dps sorcs have too much off healing potential.(off healing being heals on someone other than themselves)

some ACs/specs do need to be nerfed in terms of off heals. however, equating off heals with guard is ridiculous. think more along the lines of taunts. except taunts are off the gcd. I do think lethality and dps sorcs have too much off healing potential.(off healing being heals on someone other than themselves)

I wasn't putting htem on the same level my friend =) Just stating that they too would also need to be adjusted. Once that gets sorted maybe you could try forcing trinity for yolos, which would help a lot of classes. Also would showing the #s of each type and faction in queue.

I've got a skank tank set now, simply because it's the only good way to increase my chances of winning yolos, if there's a skank tank on the other side it's damned near a requirement if they have /any/ skill.

Good one Hottie! :D Very amusing.

TO those not finding it amusing, move along, this thread is not for you!

Hmm would you mind clarifying what Skank tanking is compared to stance dancing? I thought they were the same.

Finally, at least a handful of you took this thread for what it really was and got a chuckle out of it. I'll be honestly with you, I was laughing the whole time typing it out. I really just wanted an excuse to make SWTOR meme which me and my friend were doing a day earlier, haha.

To all those other who decided to critically evaluate my "guide"(?), I truly love your passion. I never had a group of individuals from the SWTOR community that take time out of their lives to only devote to me and my thread. I am just truly honored that I am always on your mind enough for you to continue to return. Have a good one boys <3.

Finally, at least a handful of you took this thread for what it really was and got a chuckle out of it. I'll be honestly with you, I was laughing the whole time typing it out. I really just wanted an excuse to make SWTOR meme which me and my friend were doing a day earlier, haha.

To all those other who decided to critically evaluate my "guide"(?), I truly love your passion. I never had a group of individuals from the SWTOR community that take time out of their lives to only devote to me and my thread. I am just truly honored that I am always on your mind enough for you to continue to return. Have a good one boys <3.

Why is hottie constantly talking about others noticing her? It's actually a tad concerning :(

Why is hottie constantly talking about others noticing her? It's actually a tad concerning :(

Why are you NOTICING Hottie "constantly talking about others noticing her"? Stalker much!

HEY Hottie, looks like you have another member for your fan club! :D lol

we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on this, but I'll throw this out before I leave it alone: your team has one (or more!) players capable of tossing a guard at a moment's notice. mine does not. you can divert HALF of my team's focus fire simply by throwing up an instant guard. yes. you take dmg. but we're not hitting you. we just blew our load on your buddy and did literally half the dmg to him that we actually did (after all his mitigation, dcds, etc. are accounted for). half. now the other team is spent for a cycle and neither you nor your guarded teammate is in dire circumstances. you focus my team, but we don't have anyone who can guard.

guards circumvent the only GOOD thing about yolo: role matching. they're far more significant than off healing. if you're off healing, you're losing gcds to cast off heals. if you're guarding, you can still...you know...do stuff while diverting HALF of w/e dmg the opponents are putting out.

imo, you're going to use it because you can, and you're going to justify it being "legit" because you can. I mean...it's only a breaking point for yolo, so it's really tough for the inept combat team to prevent you from doing it just for yolo, but I don't think that makes it "legit." it makes it something impossible to police.

you become a tank in a game where you're the only tank. that's a massive advantage. it also pisses me off b/c teams that don't need it do it (like rubbing salt in the wound) and the inverse, teams that would legit get throttled do it but now their sniper lives and our merc gets slaughtered. yeah. good job there...I guess.

if someone guarding your target and is not a tank - tunnel him instead, problem solved.

Thank you for pointing it out. For me the off-heals and cleanses are easier to manage than off-taunts, and I have not really tried off-guard because it involves the change of stance (which got messy on me a couple of times), and it feels too easy to mess up, & I am not certain it is a good idea without a shield.

What's the difference between the off-tanking classes, can they all do it, how do you properly change the stance? Do you click off one stance and click the new one on? Or just click the new one?

TY

I would add another bit of basic advice that seems to be too advanced for some people lately. If you are in ancient hypergate, someone has to go capture the node. I've been seeing it a lot lately where everyone on one or even both teams:confused: will just rush mid and no one goes to cap the node. That defies all logic.

I would add another bit of basic advice that seems to be too advanced for some people lately. If you are in ancient hypergate, someone has to go capture the node. I've been seeing it a lot lately where everyone on one or even both teams:confused: will just rush mid and no one goes to cap the node. That defies all logic.

http://i.imgur.com/IxkV2VK.png

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/4c/4c92aea5a041156e7480456cbd8911f4935a7132f1308bbe2adcd0a93a0fb592.jpg

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/31511006.jpg

Edited by sithBracer

if someone guarding your target and is not a tank - tunnel him instead, problem solved.

I think you may have missed the part where the guard swap is instantaneous. but tbh, it wouldn't matter. a mando has no answer to focus. guard him with your jugg and then the other team focuses your jugg...he's still going to deal with that dmg infinitely better than the mando would have, but that mando is going to do more burst than the jugg would have. so yes. tunnel the gimped tank. but he's already succeeded. he's prevented you from burning his burnable teammate while yours is left unguarded cuz...no "tank."

What's the difference between the off-tanking classes, can they all do it, how do you properly change the stance? Do you click off one stance and click the new one on? Or just click the new one?

TY

there are 4 general kinds of "tanks" you may run into.

1. dps using guard in dps gear
  2. dps using guard in tank gear
  3. tank using guard in tank gear
  4. tank using guard in dps gear

simple explanation of differences:

1. is best used temporarily to divert another team's burst b/c leaving it on the whole round is an invitation to get tunneled and you don't have the hp pool or dcds to last very long
  2. is what hottie was calling "skank tanking," basically spec'd to be a dps who takes tank utilities with the full intention being a tank the entire match. this guy is most damaging to 4v4 dps matches. his big advantage over the dps who stance dances is that he has the same hp as a full on tank, which means he can afford to split a lot of dmg. the down side is that he's in the "wrong stance," so he can't take advantage of most of his discipline specialties.
  3. a tank in tank gear is just a tank in tank gear. not sure there's anything to explain here. he's a superior tank to the previous two because he has procs, multipliers and abilities designed to mitigate dmg and reduce opponent dmg. basically, he's a better sponge than the other two and can last a lot longer, either as a focus target or from dmg diverted from guard. but he only gets into matches when the other team also has a tank.
  4. this guy can be really dangerous depending on which class he's playing. he has all the dcds, procs, etc. that the standard tank has, which makes him A LOT more tanky than #1, but he doesn't have much different of a hp pool. in the case of PTs, he's going to be pretty lethal cuz he does a lot dmg relative to other tanks (very fast conal aoe and a lot of aoe in general). also a ranged taunt for dem sorcs).

this guy can be really dangerous depending on which class he's playing. he has all the dcds, procs, etc. that the standard tank has, which makes him A LOT more tanky than #1, but he doesn't have much different of a hp pool. in the case of PTs, he's going to be pretty lethal cuz he does a lot dmg relative to other tanks (very fast conal aoe and a lot of aoe in general). also a ranged taunt for dem sorcs).

Tank in DPS gear is easily executed by using High Endurance Enhancements and High Endurance mods. You don't really sacrifice much damage at all and still have 55k hp.

http://i.imgur.com/TWtTmrD.jpg

I meant in terms of the various ACs, as in could a Guardian do that, while a Sin or PT can't, but thank you for the detailed explanation.

That's so cool. I have run my beloved Vanguard as a full on heavy tank, then switched to full on DPS, and overwrote his tanking set in the process (since it was dated) but never really ended up playing it. I think I might try to switch him back to a tank, but keep the DPS gear to see what he will end up like. This certainly have an advantage of not having to change the stance.

I just remember trying to change a stance on my PT when she caught Huttball, and when I was off-tanking in a TfB run, but both times I have noticed (later) that what happened was I was running without a stance at all as a result. So, I was wondering what did I noob out again, and if the stance switch is a two button push?

I tried doing it on my Vigilance, but he basically spent his entire carrier in DPS gear+shield+Soresu anyway, so guarding was built-in, and by the time I made it to Shien, in my capable hands he did not live much longer than Awe, Area Taunt and Focused Defense.

Edited by DomiSotto

I meant in terms of the various ACs, as in could a Guardian do that, while a Sin or PT can't, but thank you for the detailed explanation.

oh! heh. mah bad. yes. the various ACs do it to different degrees of effectiveness.

the only AC that it's practical to stance dance with is jugg. the stance change is instant and costs no resources (but it does reset them).

sins can stance dance, and from what someone else said, the cost to change stance isn't as bad as it once was. but at the end of the day, you need a certain amount of resources to pay in order to change stance. however, it is an instant stance swap. this makes it feasible one time, but you're not going to be able to swap back and forth at will the way a jugg can.

PTs are the worst at stance dancing. it's very frustrating to try (WZs or arenas). there's no resource tax, but you have to "cast"/"channel" the stance swap, which means you can be interrupted and suffer knockback, which prevents you from restarting the cast right away. I normally only try this in hb. it's not worth the time anywhere else, generally speaking.

I've also seen dps juggs start out in tank stance, not to guard anyone, but just to counter stealth openers. then they instantly change stance and leap for resource gen and closer. not sure how well that still works. but they're the only tank class that can play that trick.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.