Ok, what the affect of Level Synch will actually be for high level players

lone_war

To me, the level sync system would make more sense if you weren't at max level. Having the entire game's worth of content to farm for XP would be nice if I was level 64. Once I pop level 65 then level sync should turn off. That is of course only if your talking about the virtues of what synced leveling can do for your actual leveling. Beyond that it's a hindrance more than anything.

That's.... actually reasonable.

Pity this crap is anything but.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is flat hilarious. I do these planets at or close to level with no hindrance at all. If you're so bad at the game that you can't do these missions at level, nothing they do for the game is going to fix it for you.

It's interesting that you presume it's a matter of "can't".

Leveled doing only mega repetitions of PvE space missions?? AMAZING. Hey, I got half way through the rep just doing Impossible Sector (gawd, I sooo much hate it now!) when I was a Pref. But to level all my toons through it ... shiver.

A someone else posted: synchronization.

Yes, leveling will take longer, mostly since 12XP is being replaced by a class+planet story leveling system, not the level-sync.

One thing that may will be slower for some: the 1K comp kills (which is now worth many more Achievement pts). I admit I took advantage of going to low level planets and decimating 100's with comps.

Yes, I do, because you feel hindered. If you're not hindered, then it's not an issue, is it. However, as we can see, it's a very real issue, for you, based on your post history concerning sync.

Put your hand through tissue paper. Now put it through A4 paper. Were you hindered? Yes. Are you a weakling? No.

Now put your hand through each type paper, repeatedly for hours on end. What's less annoying?

Your logic is flawed.

Ok, so I REALLY love the PvE Space Missions. I love them so much that I have leveled MOST of my characters through them. So I had 5 characters that had completed their quests through the prologue ONLY, got their ship, and never set foot on a Planet again, until lately with the 12x Experience.

I had a 32, 34, 36, 42, and a 53. (Yes, I actually leveled to level 53 from like level 17 doing space missions, I do love them so)

So anyways, I have been comparing planetary story quest speeds on these characters. Granted, they are NOT the same classes, so it is NOT perfect; however, I believe it is close enough to show some serious differences between light green and grey mobs.

For my level 32, Tattooine starts off grey, but the later quests did turn green. It took this character 1 hour and 23 minutes to finish their class story on Tattooine, doing ONLY the Class Story and any associated bonus quests to that Class Story.

For ALL of my other characters it was 48 minutes, 45 minutes, and 36 minutes to complete the same planet.

Next is Alderaan. For the level 32, ALL of this planet was green quests, and for the 36 most of it was.

The level 32 completed it in 1 hour and 37 minutes, the 36 completed it in 1 hour and 25 minutes. The 42 Completed it in 52 Minutes, and the 53 Completed it in 37 Minutes.

I don't have a report, yet, on times after Alderaan, as that is where I stopped tonight on my level 53 (Last character that needs to go through this content), but so far it seems that having mobs be Green instead of Grey is multiplying the time to run low level planets by 2 to almost 3.

So for those of you that are so enamored with this system, please understand that it will increase your time to do anything on low level planets by AT LEAST 2. And even worse, when you hit level 65 and 50 legacy, it will do it for NO Gain.

Have fun with that...

A very reasonable position. For me personally, I don't want the adventure to be a quick one. Based only on what my impression of what the level sync system will be, I fear it doesn't go far enough. I'd like level syncs to be based on the planetary zones the players are in, but it looks like it will be based on the planet as a whole.

Not long after TOR launched, I actually put the leveling game down and did other things or played other games. After only two classes, I didn't want to continue playing the stories. This was not because of the quality of the stories; but, because of how boringly easy it was to blow through the content, or tediously calculating min / max values of gear and upgrades available through a vendor as an alternative to skipping content. Despite wanting to experience all of the various class / gender / alignment / story combinations, I stopped because I didn't want my first experience of every class to be a stale god-mode of an adventure, where I simply viewed the tale rather than take part in it. I wanted my adventure to be challenging and even almost annoyingly difficult, without having to stop to buy gear because I had to skip planets.

It may have paid off as I may be getting exactly what I was hoping for in 4.0.

Regardless, I can't wait to try out the new leveling experience for myself. I'm a little worried that the exploration missions will grant me too much experience though and have me facing primarily greens and grays just as the old system did. I guess I could skip those, but it kind of goes against my nature as an explorer and a completionist.

If planetary level sync doesn't turn out to be challenging in the leveling process, then I'll have to hope that somewhere down the line, a hard mode option will become available; a sync system that sets the strength of virtually every enemy I face at yellow or orange.

Maybe they'll release an XP inhibitor someday or add it as play option toggle.

I play games for the tension and the respect the environments demand from me. It helps me blow off some steam. That isn't everyone's source for video game enjoyment, and honestly I understand and fully support that. And there is definitely plenty of tense, harsh gameplay in The Old Republic; Space Combat, Operations, Flashpoints, and Warzones. I just hope that the leveling aspect of the game; being what most directly supports the story experience; the main selling platform this game launched from, will finally get the energy boost it needs to offer the kind of challenge, worthy of the epic stories it carries.

The only main reason I'm against mandatory level sync is the fact that there are no options.

I could give a rat's hairy arse if it increases, decreases, puts on level, makes things easier, harder, let's me help newbs, not help newbs, etc, etc, forever whocares.

I like having options. I like I can level from 1-60 either via class story, or space missions, or gsf, or heroics, or operations (after 50), or planet stories, or pvp, or anything else in the game. Sure, **I** level via class stories, side quests, and some flashpoints. But the whole point is, we all have different options to do the same thing. Get from 1-60.

With level sync being mandatory, there is ONE thing in the entire game that makes it where there is no option. See, events? Optional. Operations and flashpoints? Optional. Do stories? Optional. Crafting? Optional.

I UNDERSTAND Bioware more than likely has big plans for the old planets, probably having to do with regaining more affection/influence on old and new companions. Or even adding more content to let people go back to old planets. I've no problem with this.

But if everything else in the game is optional, why make level sync mandatory?

Maybe I want to roflstomp solo things. Maybe I want to slightly gimp myself to kill things. Maybe I want to white knight myself to a lowbie newb and faceroll through their quest. Maybe I want to delevel myself to get some xp too. Maybe I want to run through planet x as a 60/65 overpowered killing machine. Maybe I want to lower myself and make it a tad more tedious and SLIGHTLY challenging.

The point is, there should be an option.

They can keep level sync. No one, anywhere, said level syncing was bad. What we DO think is bad is being forced to delevel when we step on planet x, to go collect that lore object or datacron we missed.

That's why a good majority of us naysayers are annoyed. Not because level sync is coming, but because they removed the option for it. Everything else in the game is optional, so why can't this be also?

I turn off 12x xp, so it really doesn't benefit me, i do all side quests, planetary quests and class quests and all their bonus quests, cause thats my style.

Hell, i even listen to the conversations all the time, which pisses off flashpoint levellers, even though they don't have the right to tell me to skip stuff, i pay my own subscription....so i get to tell myself what to do.

Hence why i solo most of the time while levelling up.

The only main reason I'm against mandatory level sync is the fact that there are no options.

I could give a rat's hairy arse if it increases, decreases, puts on level, makes things easier, harder, let's me help newbs, not help newbs, etc, etc, forever whocares.

I like having options. I like I can level from 1-60 either via class story, or space missions, or gsf, or heroics, or operations (after 50), or planet stories, or pvp, or anything else in the game. Sure, **I** level via class stories, side quests, and some flashpoints. But the whole point is, we all have different options to do the same thing. Get from 1-60.

With level sync being mandatory, there is ONE thing in the entire game that makes it where there is no option. See, events? Optional. Operations and flashpoints? Optional. Do stories? Optional. Crafting? Optional.

I UNDERSTAND Bioware more than likely has big plans for the old planets, probably having to do with regaining more affection/influence on old and new companions. Or even adding more content to let people go back to old planets. I've no problem with this.

Maybe I want to roflstomp solo things. Maybe I want to slightly gimp myself to kill things. Maybe I want to white knight myself to a lowbie newb and faceroll through their quest. Maybe I want to delevel myself to get some xp too. Maybe I want to run through planet x as a 60/65 overpowered killing machine. Maybe I want to lower myself and make it a tad more tedious and SLIGHTLY challenging.

They can keep level sync. No one, anywhere, said level syncing was bad. What we DO think is bad is being forced to delevel when we step on planet x, to go collect that lore object or datacron we missed.

That's why a good majority of us naysayers are annoyed. Not because level sync is coming, but because they removed the option for it. Everything else in the game is optional, so why can't this be also?

It's not something I personally want, but can totally understand. Phasing would be the best solution to offer a sync toggle option. I only say that because having players that opt to turn off sync intermingling with players who opt to keep it on, in an environment with rewards and combat mechanics designed for synced game play, would go against what the expansion is trying to achieve. If players who turned off sync got to enjoy a non synced version of the environment with other non synced players, separate from the synced environments and players; I don't see how that would create a problem for anyone; at least from a game play perspective.

Ok, so I REALLY love the PvE Space Missions. I love them so much that I have leveled MOST of my characters through them. So I had 5 characters that had completed their quests through the prologue ONLY, got their ship, and never set foot on a Planet again, until lately with the 12x Experience.

I had a 32, 34, 36, 42, and a 53. (Yes, I actually leveled to level 53 from like level 17 doing space missions, I do love them so)

So anyways, I have been comparing planetary story quest speeds on these characters. Granted, they are NOT the same classes, so it is NOT perfect; however, I believe it is close enough to show some serious differences between light green and grey mobs.

For my level 32, Tattooine starts off grey, but the later quests did turn green. It took this character 1 hour and 23 minutes to finish their class story on Tattooine, doing ONLY the Class Story and any associated bonus quests to that Class Story.

For ALL of my other characters it was 48 minutes, 45 minutes, and 36 minutes to complete the same planet.

Next is Alderan. For the level 32, ALL of this planet was green quests, and for the 36 most of it was.

The level 32 completed it in 1 hour and 37 minutes, the 36 completed it in 1 hour and 25 minutes. The 42 Completed it in 52 Minutes, and the 53 Completed it in 37 Minutes.

I don't have a report, yet, on times after Alderan, as that is where I stopped tonight on my level 53 (Last character that needs to go through this content), but so far it seems that having mobs be Green instead of Grey is multiplying the time to run low level planets by 2 to almost 3.

So for those of you that are so enamored with this system, please understand that it will increase your time to do anything on low level planets by AT LEAST 2. And even worse, when you hit level 65 and 50 legacy, it will do it for NO Gain.

Have fun with that...

No, actually it won't. Most of us feel the shooter on rails space game is a bad idea and that completing class stories at the appropriate level is the fun way to play. Which means level sync will be all the same for us and it will take us the normal amount of time. It takes you a long time not only because the quests are appropriately leveled, but also because the shooter on rails skills don't translate into playing the game well skills.

Put your hand through tissue paper. Now put it through A4 paper. Were you hindered? Yes. Are you a weakling? No.

Now put your hand through each type paper, repeatedly for hours on end. What's less annoying?

Your logic is flawed.

Context is everything. If you're struggling while leveling, sync is not the problem. Max has stated in this very thread that sync will adversely affect his ability to level. This isn't a sync issue, this is a L2P issue. What other conclusion is there? That he's spouting some rhetoric because he doesn't like sync, even though he knows it's not true?

While leveling, Sync on Corellia will have no affect on my character. I hit it on average between 48 and 50. Oddly enough, 50 is the max level for Corellia, how will sync adversely affect leveling? If you're doing it at 60 now, it's not going to be adversely affected, you're no longer leveling, you're at cap. If you hit it at 65 after the expansion, it's not going to adversely affect leveling because you're at cap, and are no longer leveling. So where does that leave us? Either Max doesn't know how to play, or Max is making stuff up so that he can continue to see his name in print going against sync, because if he's struggling to level now, it can't be sync, it isn't in game yet.

No worse than any of the reasons for being against sync.

The problem is, questions that ask "why make levelsync" mandatory are repeatedly answered with lists of reasons that make levelsync a good option for players to be able choose, even if it's not mandatory.

So we're going in circles. "Why should I order the crab salad for lunch? I don't like crab." is being routinely answered with a bunch of reasons why other people love crab, instead of reasons why people who don't like crab, or hate crab, or are even allergic to crab (if we stretch our analogy) should eat the crab salad.

And even crazier, when someone says "I don't want the crab, I don't like crab", there are people who keep saying "Stop overreacting, you don't know until you've tried the crab!" -- even though most of us saying "no thank you" to the crab have tried it at other places, and found that we do not, in fact, like crab.

And yes, we just gave this thread crabs.

Because your response is oh so much more legit. #facepalm

Sigh.

I walked the other poster into a situation where they said "Just because other people feel that way, doesn't mean I should!"

Given how many people on the pro-mandatory side have effectively said "Levelsync is awesome, and it will be fun, and good for the game, and make it more enjoyable, even for you, whether you realize it or not!"... flipping that on its head had become necessary.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Reading comprehension FTW! Go back and actually read what he wrote...

I would never do my class missions at max level though, so this seems irrelevant.

If somebody wants to do a test of a level 55 in equal gear as a level 60 doing level 50 H2+ missions, that will say a little bit. But, I'm highly likely to augment this speed with the new enhanced Heroic Moment, companions that I think will be stronger than today and new skills from 4.0.

The problem is, questions that ask "why make levelsync" mandatory are repeatedly answered with lists of reasons that make levelsync a good option for players to be able choose, even if it's not mandatory.

So we're going in circles. "Why should I order the crab salad for lunch? I don't like crab." is being routinely answered with a bunch of reasons why other people love crab, instead of reasons why people who don't like crab, or hate crab, or are even allergic to crab (if we stretch our analogy) should eat the crab salad.

And even crazier, when someone says "I don't want the crab, I don't like crab", there are people who keep saying "Stop overreacting, you don't know until you've tried the crab!" -- even though most of us saying "no thank you" to the crab have tried it at other places, and found that we do not, in fact, like crab.

And yes, we just gave this thread crabs.

Sigh.

I walked the other poster into a situation where they said "Just because other people feel that way, doesn't mean I should!"

Given how many people on the pro-mandatory side have effectively said "Levelsync is awesome, and it will be fun, and good for the game, and make it more enjoyable, even for you, whether you realize it or not!"... flipping that on its head had become necessary.

If it was easy to make it not mandatory, I think they would. It's probably technically difficult to make it optional. One thing that jumps out at me is if we're all going to be utilizing the H2+'s often, and they also let level 65's not delevel, they will clear the mobs out ridiculously fast since the areas are not instanced. So yes, the 65's fun would come at everyone else's expense. So to fix this, they'd have to make all the H2+'s instanced, which doesn't seem easy.

Context is everything. If you're struggling while leveling, sync is not the problem. Max has stated in this very thread that sync will adversely affect his ability to level. This isn't a sync issue, this is a L2P issue. What other conclusion is there? That he's spouting some rhetoric because he doesn't like sync, even though he knows it's not true?

While leveling, Sync on Corellia will have no affect on my character. I hit it on average between 48 and 50. Oddly enough, 50 is the max level for Corellia, how will sync adversely affect leveling? If you're doing it at 60 now, it's not going to be adversely affected, you're no longer leveling, you're at cap. If you hit it at 65 after the expansion, it's not going to adversely affect leveling because you're at cap, and are no longer leveling. So where does that leave us? Either Max doesn't know how to play, or Max is making stuff up so that he can continue to see his name in print going against sync, because if he's struggling to level now, it can't be sync, it isn't in game yet.

I don't know what claims he's made outside this thread, but here we were discussing hindrances. And hindrances are not necessarily struggles. Take any example where you have to return to a lower level planet as part of your story. The Agent or Warrior returning to Hutta for example. They can crush everything in their path with barely a cough, whether they're over the planetary cap or not. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to die unless you just leave your computer. However in the current system you can blow by grays repeatedly and they won't do a damn thing unless you literally stand on their heads. Synched however, every Evocii will scream their mentally-challenged cry and take potshots at us and God help anything in grabbing/throwing range if they actually knock us off our mounts. So whereas before we could just blow through the camp like it wasn't there, now we may have to fight like lowbies all over again. A trivial impediment is still an impediment, particularly when it wasn't there before.

There are plenty of other reason some of us are against forced synch. We don't begrudge the opposition for wanting the rewards and xp in lower levels it provides. Hell if it was optional I might even use it to get my mains to 65 before doing the Fallen Empire story. But as it is even that would be pointless because I'd still be downscaled. Why even have levels still? If they get taken away by geography, do away with them all together and make the progression all about the skills where attacks do damage by a percentage of any given enemy's HP/defenses.

If it was easy to make it not mandatory, I think they would. It's probably technically difficult to make it optional. One thing that jumps out at me is if we're all going to be utilizing the H2+'s often, and they also let level 65's not delevel, they will clear the mobs out ridiculously fast since the areas are not instanced. So yes, the 65's fun would come at everyone else's expense. So to fix this, they'd have to make all the H2+'s instanced, which doesn't seem easy.

Which is why a few of us at least have been suggesting separate "planetary instances" to make optional sync work.

Synced and unsynced players would never come into contact on the same map.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I don't know what claims he's made outside this thread, but here we were discussing hindrances. And hindrances are not necessarily struggles. Take any example where you have to return to a lower level planet as part of your story. The Agent or Warrior returning to Hutta for example. They can crush everything in their path with barely a cough, whether they're over the planetary cap or not. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to die unless you just leave your computer. However in the current system you can blow by grays repeatedly and they won't do a damn thing unless you literally stand on their heads. Synched however, every Evocii will scream their mentally-challenged cry and take potshots at us and God help anything in grabbing/throwing range if they actually knock us off our mounts. So whereas before we could just blow through the camp like it wasn't there, now we may have to fight like lowbies all over again. A trivial impediment is still an impediment, particularly when it wasn't there before.

There are plenty of other reason some of us are against forced synch. We don't begrudge the opposition for wanting the rewards and xp in lower levels it provides. Hell if it was optional I might even use it to get my mains to 65 before doing the Fallen Empire story. But as it is even that would be pointless because I'd still be downscaled. Why even have levels still? If they get taken away by geography, do away with them all together and make the progression all about the skills where attacks do damage by a percentage of any given enemy's HP/defenses.

No matter how many times you explain this, they're going to go right back to the same insulting mischaracterizations of the "optional" position.

They're not looking for an actual discussion or to understand the positions of others, they're just looking for whatever ammo they can use to lob weak, childish little insults and belittlement at anyone who isn't on the same bandwagon as they are.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Reasons Level Sync will benefit you to go complete old missions:

1) You get EXP based on your actual level. So completing old quests and missions will give you EXP gains based on your level.

There isn't actually any real benefit in this. By the time you start wandering planets and doing dailies, you'll already be level 65.

There isn't actually any real benefit in this. By the time you start wandering planets and doing dailies, you'll already be level 65.

Exactly.

For example:

I take my level 60 Jugg and do KotFE. I'm there, not going anywhere while doing all 9 chapters. I'm using Guild Exp boosts, GTN/CM bought xp boosts, rested xp boost, and (if it pertains to this) my legacy character's class story and exploration xp boosts as an extra kicker. Let's say with ALL this I hit level 65 before even hitting chapter 5 of KotFE. Okay, I'm now lvl 65, I can do operations, etc. But I'm still in the KotFE story because I hit level 65 during chapter 5 and I'm a story completionist so I keep on trucking until the end of chapter 9.

So, I'm level 65 and I just finished the first 9 chapters of the new story, waiting for chapters 10-16 to hit whenever they do. So, I take my brand new, well geared, lvl 65 to Dromund Kaas cause d'oh, there's a lore item I don't have for the planet to hit 100% complete. I get deleveled to 18. Fine. Well, rewards are no longer meaningful to me. Why?

Well let's see, I don't get the experience and I definitely don't get legacy experience because I hit level 50 on that back in early 2012. So that's a moot point (unless they bump that up to like 60 or something, which I doubt). So, let's talk about gear I get from the rewards. Well, I've used the comms I have been stockpiling BECAUSE I don't need Ziost or 186 gear or I have operations BiS gear at 192/198. Okay. I DO NOT WEAR unmoddable gear. Only stuff I wear unmoddable are relics, earpieces and implants. So that gear is out the window, unless I decide to give it to my companions, but wait, I might not get Quinn back officially until say chapter 14. Okay, that won't work. And gear means nothing for companions anymore and I've already got their looks set.

So, we get money, okay cool, I'll get whatever money I'll get for a 65, probably between 7-15k. Well, I can get more than that doing regular dailies synced or not.

So, I can group with lower level players. That's great, but I don't group with anyone but close friends, who are on different servers or stopped playing the game. And my husband is adult enough and familiar enough with MMOs and games to be able to solo. So, this doesn't affect me.

So, what's left? Nothing. I'm being descaled for no reason on MY toon. So...why was I descaled again?

Oh, FUTURE content...if it's for companions, I'll do it. If it's just boring stuff I might not need, meh.

Then you need to go back, in this thread, and see where he said it would hinder his leveling. It's really that simple.

You know, if level synch became optional, I don't think it would take much more coding to have a Hard Mode Level Synch Option. Say the ability to level synch you down to the LOWEST or Mid level of the planet so that all mobs are effectively yellow or orange to you.

And while not for everyone, this option would make the game MUCH more enjoyable for players, like you, that want a challenge.

But, there is something hopeful coming up. If BioWare does this level synch how I think they are, you will be able to go and try the Bonus Areas of Planets for REAL Challenges. You will probably be synched to the highest level of the normal planetary area, so the bonus areas should be the equivalent of 2+ to 5+ mobs to you, BUT you will have the skills and abilities of your actual levels, so they may actually be beatable. This paragraph ASSUMES that BioWare level synchs for the world as a whole and not individual levels on that world...

But this is the beauty of making Level Synch OPTIONAL. If it was optional, they could have different levels of synching for different challenge levels of the planets for different players, so that EACH player could play at the challenge level they want to play. Grey and a joke for me, green and slightly threatening for the level synch should be mandatory advocates, and yellow or even orange for those that want challenging game play. And the ONLY thing that would need to be changed is the setting on the toggle for what level you want to be for a planet. Boom, three happy groups of players instead of one...

Being bored out of one's skull repeating content they've already done is a big hindrance to leveling, or even playing, for that matter.

Hey, they implemented something just for you, 12x xp. I have 28 60s, I've done the content lots of times, and half of those were 60 before there was 12x, or maybe it was 55 before, I really can't recall now. Guess what: No matter what you do, you're going to be repeating content. This is an MMO, and end game in an MMO generally revolves around repeating content. If this is a hindrance to your fun factor, MMOs aren't for you. I have news for you, rage quitting about having to repeat content is not going to make the devs release new material every week. It's going to make everyone that's played more than one MMO laugh their asses off though.