Level synch = Revival of SWTOR

Heat-Wave

Ok, so I posted that I don't like level sync... however, I am trying to see the upside, and I did just think of one situation where it could be a "good thing".

Imagine you're leveling, you're on Tattonine, and you're enjoying the place, you want to do the full planet story, the side missions, everything. Normally you end up outleveling the place, getting just 6 XP per mission after awhile making it kinda depressing to carry on, knowing that you'll have to do the same stuff on the next planet.

But instead, with level sync, you'll never quite outlevel Tattonine, instead you'll keep getting XP. So lets say you love Tat but hate Alderann, you can do everything on Tat, level up a bit, then go do just the class missions and blast out Alderann and move on asap since you arrived at Alderann a bit overleveled for it.

This does open up options to "level your way", doing extras one place, just the class missions somewhere else, always earning something from it rather than almost nothing.

Just trying to see the positive here. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of it, but I'm trying to see the upside too. Another benefit I thought of is, I can go back and do all the mission I skip while using 12xp. I already plan to do this with world arch etc, so it will be nice to get appropriate gear, xp, and credits instead of nothing. At least that how I understood it, I am worried about this feature being very buggy and causing a lot of trouble. Hopeful they did there testing.

The same thing could be achieved by making it optional (ala the Makeb bolster, for example), though.

Level Sync isn't the problem. In and of itself, it's a great feature that opens up more options.

MANDATORY Level Sync is the problem.

this.

there are multiple upsides to OPTIONAL level sync. there are too many downsides to mandatory one.

P.S. the way I used to deal with the issue of liking some planets (cough, Belsavis, cough) but not the others was to run flashpoints and pvp. yes, i know the option is still there for me to use. but.. I don't think I'll be rolling new characters anyways, so the point is moot.

Edited by Jeweledleah

I wish they'd have just given us the option to lower our own level rather than throw this blanket onto everyone all the time everywhere period.

Oh well. It won't kill my inner child, but if it feels sucky to me to go to lower level places, I...won't go to them anymore if at all avoidable.

I'm hearing a whole lot of 'We really don't want you guys going to lower level worlds anymore' from this decision. Is that what they meant to say? Doesn't really matter what they think they mean. My credit card only cares about what I hear.

Good thing I don't care that much about trucking around lower level worlds, or I might be pissed.

The same thing could be achieved by making it optional (ala the Makeb bolster, for example), though.

Level Sync isn't the problem. In and of itself, it's a great feature that opens up more options.

MANDATORY Level Sync is the problem.

Agreed. I'm very curious to know how stuff like the Macrobinocular/Seeker Droid or GSI missions on older planets (think the Dreadseed areas for Seeker Droid or the heroic missions added via GSI) will work with this new change. Or the Bounty events. One thing that I see being a huge problem is the Kingpin on Coruscant. He's already a bit of a pain but there are enemies spawned all over the place where you fight him that respawn fairly quickly. Right now it's not a problem since at a high enough level those enemies will barely be able to touch you but with level scaling that could be a huge issue.

Definitely feel like this should have been optional.

I agree, seriously cannot think of any other downsides. I don't know what the big deal is.

How about that it's mandatory? That is in and of itself a downside.

And then there's all the trash on various worlds that can no longer be wiped out or utterly ignored while someone is trying to get a Bounty Week mission done, or look for HK parts, or find that datacron they missed, or...

And then there's the fact that I've never enjoyed the leveling process as much as I have since 12x has meant that my alts were always way over-leveled for the planets they were on, hitting 50 well before Corellia, etc.

There's a myriad of reasons why it's a good thing, but here's just two that will benefit the game hugely:

1. If someone needs assistance in a quest, you will now have to actually HELP them rather than just doing it for them.

2. Reduction in the mindless ganking of levellers, usually by bored level capped f2p'ers.

I said on another thread that if the enhanced rewards for heroics are good then this could be awesome. If they really do keep up with level, then it will be a farmer's dream. Less face it, low level heroics are not that hard at low levels. We'll see though.

How about that it's mandatory? That is in and of itself a downside.

And then there's all the trash on various worlds that can no longer be wiped out or utterly ignored while someone is trying to get a Bounty Week mission done, or look for HK parts, or find that datacron they missed, or...

And then there's the fact that I've never enjoyed the leveling process as much as I have since 12x has meant that my alts were always way over-leveled for the planets they were on, hitting 50 well before Corellia, etc.

So your problem is you don't want to be scaled down because you hate effort in obtaining objectives?

Ok, so I posted that I don't like level sync... however, I am trying to see the upside, and I did just think of one situation where it could be a "good thing".

Imagine you're leveling, you're on Tattonine, and you're enjoying the place, you want to do the full planet story, the side missions, everything. Normally you end up outleveling the place, getting just 6 XP per mission after awhile making it kinda depressing to carry on, knowing that you'll have to do the same stuff on the next planet.

But instead, with level sync, you'll never quite outlevel Tattonine, instead you'll keep getting XP. So lets say you love Tat but hate Alderann, you can do everything on Tat, level up a bit, then go do just the class missions and blast out Alderann and move on asap since you arrived at Alderann a bit overleveled for it.

This does open up options to "level your way", doing extras one place, just the class missions somewhere else, always earning something from it rather than almost nothing.

Just trying to see the positive here. :)

Wow, kudos to you, really. Haven't thought of that. As I hate the concept, you've actually thought of something that is positive about it. Too bad I levelled all classes and have no intention of doing anymore.

In all honesty, good thinking though, not trolling. I did like some planets and wish I could have done more on them.

Edited by Geeorgedk

So your problem is you don't want to be scaled down because you hate effort in obtaining objectives?

I hate being knocked off my speeder with a passion, especially planets like Oricon even though I'm riding about in an Avalanche Heavy Tank (previously, it made you immune to dismount, now it's just hard to get dismounted).

It should be obvious post-KOTFE getting dismounted from level 1 goons on Ord Mantell too would be kind of upsetting.

What exactly is the downside of level sync? What do you people do on planets that you're 40 levels over?

Whatever you want, more or less.

I mean, I don't get why people act like overlevelling prevents you from doing anything. You can still do every quest and stuff there... you just won't get 10,000 exp for it. Being overlevelled gives convenience, having that taken away is annoying.

A level 1 can't do things a level 65 can do, but a level 65 can do everything a level 1 can. It's just personal choice at that point.

Edited by Transairion

What exactly is the downside of level sync? What do you people do on planets that you're 40 levels over?

Ever heard of bounty week? HK parts? Hunting for datacrons? Gathering mats for crafting? Going back to solo and thus actually see content that you could never get a non-horrible group for?

There is exactly 1 downside, that being you can't ROFLStomp old content as easily, and even at that, Musco was ROFLStomping it pretty good solo.

oh I don't know. having to slog through endless trash when going back for conquest or events is a downside to some of us. inability to world bosses - again pretty big downside to some of us. and yes, inability to roflstomp content as quickly as we could before - IS a downside.

this forced down-scaling looks more and more like its less of giving people mentoring system they've been asking for and artificially trying to extend the amount of time it takes to get through content. "but side quests are optional!" you say. but side quests were already optional through other means, and you only leveled up once per character before. this will increase the amount of time you need to spend slogging through low level content for as long as you keep playing the game and keep participating in events that ask you to go to low level planets.

that doesn't bode well for the amount of new content we are getting. not at all.

meh.

I hate being knocked off my speeder with a passion, especially planets like Oricon even though I'm riding about in an Avalanche Heavy Tank (previously, it made you immune to dismount, now it's just hard to get dismounted).

It should be obvious post-KOTFE getting dismounted from level 1 goons on Ord Mantell too would be kind of upsetting.

Well don't ride around in speeders with crap protection.

There's a myriad of reasons why it's a good thing, but here's just two that will benefit the game hugely:

1. If someone needs assistance in a quest, you will now have to actually HELP them rather than just doing it for them.

2. Reduction in the mindless ganking of levellers, usually by bored level capped f2p'ers.

Ok, here's a crazy concept, I actually like to help people. I know right? It's weird, helping others, but I do.

So if someone asks for help with a heroic at 1 AM in the morning on some low level planet, I'll gladly help.

With the expansion coming up, I won't even bother going to lower level planets.

Win-win, am I right?

Oh and why I won't bother, because I won't be helping, I will be doing the same exact heroic they're doing.

That's not helping, that's just doing the heroic I did 40 levels ago. Help to me means 'fast and easy'.

Edited by Geeorgedk

Ever heard of bounty week? HK parts? Hunting for datacrons? Gathering mats for crafting? Going back to solo and thus actually see content that you could never get a non-horrible group for?

and speaking of gathering mats for crafting. now that nodes scale with your crafting level. have fun farming for lower level mats! since you can no longer physically farm them on a maxed out character. there are still options. but... I have a feeling a few material selling whales might be using the next few weeks to stock up while they still can and then break the bank selling lower level mats at higher prices.

Well don't ride around in speeders with crap protection.
you do realize that there are very few speeders with extreme protection and most of them have to be bought with cartel coins while the ones that cannot be bought with cartel coin - are extremely rare and rng based? Edited by Jeweledleah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.