Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How about loosing up the restrictions on dual wielding classes?

TonyTricicolo

I am not sure why you would not want to DW? Like you can't afford an offhand or something? Don't like the animations?

The weapon selection is boring on a Mercenary imo compared to the Commando, and it is the same as a Gunslinger. I seriously consider starting another Commando because I have a left-over second cannon from the companions (the Nar-Shadda one) and I just love it and it breaks my heart it going to waste. I guess in the 'love it or hate it' divide, I am in the 'love it' camp for the cannon.

It's not the weapons, it's the skills they enable.

I remember checking this when I made my Sniper. I wanted him to use the Bowcaster. But I compared the two and, yes, the Sniper Rifle has a higher base DPS. Without mods ... empty shell vs. empty shell ... regardless of skills (unless there is a Passive Skill at work that gives a level 10 Sniper a bonus to DPS with a Sniper Rifle ... never bothered to look for that). The difference wasn't enormous or life-altering. Just enough for my Sniper to eschew the Bowcaster.

I remember checking this when I made my Sniper. I wanted him to use the Bowcaster. But I compared the two and, yes, the Sniper Rifle has a higher base DPS. Without mods ... empty shell vs. empty shell ... regardless of skills (unless there is a Passive Skill at work that gives a level 10 Sniper a bonus to DPS with a Sniper Rifle ... never bothered to look for that). The difference wasn't enormous or life-altering. Just enough for my Sniper to eschew the Bowcaster.

Their is a difference in damage, but it's not huge. In my last post I should have said something like "it's mostly the skills the weapon enables."

On the bowcaster tangent, there are currently available sniper bowcasters (2 of them, in fact), if you like he bowcaster look for your Sniper.

Edited by branmakmuffin

On the bowcaster tangent, there are currently available sniper bowcasters (2 of them, in fact), if you like he bowcaster look for your Sniper.
I know, but after 55+ levels, I've grown accustomed to his big, shiny rifle. Maybe if SWTOR follows LOTRO's lead and introduces Cosmetic Weapon Slots. ;)

With all the main stats becoming mastery in 4.0, Now is the best time to lift the weapon restrictions.

My Commando would like to use pistols...

My jugg would like to use a double-bladed saber

My BH would like to use a rifle.

Main stat has nothing to do with why those restrictions exist. The biggest reasons are likely animations, and because mirror classes have to do the same damage. An assault cannon has to do the same damage as two blaster pistols.

Exactly. You guys are doing it wrong, putting the cart before the horse.

1. All classes can play as any role - what works for companions should work for player characters as well.
  2. Armor proficiency is removed - basis for true mitigation balance.
  3. Weapon proficiency is removed.
  4. The 16 advanced classes can be reduced to 8 classes.
  5. Gear requirements for players is removed - what's inconvenient for companions is inconvenient for player characters as well.
  6. Stats are based on level within a narrow RNG margin. (Until accusations of unbalanced RNG arise.)
  7. All classes will be balanced ("leveled") to a basic set of skills mirrored across all 8 classes, doing the exact same numbers for healing, damage, mitigation etc.
  8. Each of those skills will have one animation for every weapon type, setup and resource. (You will understand that the number of abilities will have to be limited to keep maintenance low.)
  9. When smugglers don't just want to use a lightsabers but also want the animation of force abilities, we can reduce the classes to one per faction with freely choosable and switchable resource pool and weapon. The player decides what story, if at all, they want to play through.
  10. Multi-player, instance-based progression/ranked end"game" with multiple tiers of proficiency/expertise determining stats.

Happy balanced, customized gaming!

Edited by KyaniteD

I'd love to play a marauder wielding a single bladed lightsaber and just use focus for extra damage or just hide the 2nd saber. Many people would love to play assassins with single bladed lightsabers or juggernauts with double-bladed ones, like darth maul.

Bioware said, in one q and a, that it would be easy to do with lightsabers but rather complicated for guns.

Sages want to fight in melee

Assassins want single-bladed sabers

Guardians want double-bladed sabers

Marauders don't want anything - they have their dualsticks

Commandos want rifles

Powertechs want rifles

Operatives want rifles (yea, lol. Knifes are too oldschool)

Mercs want single blasters

Vanguards want better animations, and that's the only thing i can understand

How about all of you guys just shut the **** up and go play the class that uses the weapon you want to use? Jeez, let's keep at least some class identity, shall we? Becouse the moment you and those "give force push to everything" guys from PVP get you way, there will be no difference between marauder and commando.

Hey, i want my mainhand weapon to be cyborg dinasour who shoots shark-rockets from the eyes. You don't see me complaining about it, do you?

How about all of you guys just shut the **** up and go play the class that uses the weapon you want to use? Jeez, let's keep at least some class identity, shall we?

What's the point when I can already dress up my powertech as a Republic Commando or turn my Sith Juggernaut into a half-naked exotic dancer?

I know, but after 55+ levels, I've grown accustomed to his big, shiny rifle. Maybe if SWTOR follows LOTRO's lead and introduces Cosmetic Weapon Slots. ;)

Or enables transmog for weapons. Both would be fine.

And imo restrictions are outdated and limit FREEDOM. Look, freedom is enough limited irl, why should we shackle ourselves like that in a game lol?

It's not like a Merc is actually using those two for any good amount. Power shot and co could be very easily replaced with single pistol animations(I think that NPCs have it, actually am pretty certain about it) and Unload...well...ok ;) . But why doesn't Full Auto require a cannon then, hm? Also, have you noticed how most attacks that come from a Merc are various tech gadgets: missiles, bombs, grenades, darts etc? If one pistol got removed, it wouldn't be really noticable(apart from DPS rebalancing, but then again tech / force attacks could be linked to Tech / Force power instead of weapon dps-main hand wdps would just boost it) imo.

Maybe let every mirrored gunner class use the other ones weapon(s), along with their firing animations. Probably wouldn't require that much attention?

Operative with rifle or single pistol.

Sniper with sniper or dual wielding pistols.

Scoundrel with single pistol or rifle.

Gunslinger with dual wielding pistols or sniper.

Commando with assault cannon or dual wielding pistols.

Vanguard with rifle or single pistol.

Mercenary with dual wielding pistols or assault cannon (Canderous style awesomeness!).

Powertech with rifle or single pistol.

All would make sense and are pretty neat. Would sure make me rethink some sub-classes to reroll... Hmm... :)

What's the point when I can already dress up my powertech as a Republic Commando or turn my Sith Juggernaut into a half-naked exotic dancer?

You named it - we already have this problem. I on several occasions managed to confuse warriors for mercs or sins and vice versa, going as far as misinterpreting their role, giving wrong advices etc. And that's with weapons restricted and huge sign over their heads, mind you. Ever wondered why your healer charges into enemy, and THEN realized he was tank all that time? At this point, I just want to tell a difference between classes without digging deep into UI.

Maybe let every mirrored gunner class use the other ones weapon(s), along with their firing animations. Probably wouldn't require that much attention?

Operative with rifle or single pistol.

Sniper with sniper or dual wielding pistols.

Scoundrel with single pistol or rifle.

Gunslinger with dual wielding pistols or sniper.

Commando with assault cannon or dual wielding pistols.

Vanguard with rifle or single pistol.

Mercenary with dual wielding pistols or assault cannon (Canderous style awesomeness!).

Powertech with rifle or single pistol.

All would make sense and are pretty neat. Would sure make me rethink some sub-classes to reroll... Hmm... :)

That makes more sense, but still have problems. Visual design. Almost all BH abilities, for example, are hardwired to bounty hunter theme. I personally have hard time imagening republic trooper geared with all the rocket launchers and flamethrowers. Those are weapons some rogue with access to black marcet would use, not Republic's finest professional, who can't snore without accordance to some new army tactic.

That makes more sense, but still have problems. Visual design. Almost all BH abilities, for example, are hardwired to bounty hunter theme. I personally have hard time imagening republic trooper geared with all the rocket launchers and flamethrowers. Those are weapons some rogue with access to black marcet would use, not Republic's finest professional, who can't snore without accordance to some new army tactic.

Ah well, I didn't mean all the animations like rockets and so, but you make a point with some animations yeah. It'd still need some tweaking and adjusting, but it's more of a "middle ground", I'd say.

You named it - we already have this problem. I on several occasions managed to confuse warriors for mercs or sins and vice versa, going as far as misinterpreting their role, giving wrong advices etc. And that's with weapons restricted and huge sign over their heads, mind you. Ever wondered why your healer charges into enemy, and THEN realized he was tank all that time? At this point, I just want to tell a difference between classes without digging deep into UI.

Adds a whole nother surprise dimension to pvp eh? :D

How about all of you guys just shut the **** up and go play the class that uses the weapon you want to use? Jeez, let's keep at least some class identity, shall we?

There are several forms of therapy which might help you with that anger.

As for "class identity", I bet you'd hate my Merc, she's not wearing Iconic Mando or Hunter Gear. :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/nYCbKXy.jpg

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.