Anyone else disappointed with sage gameplay?

YamianGodlike

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind casting classes. I fact, I kinda like them, but this just feels wierd...

From trailers it looked like a nice hybrid, I also wanted to be able to heal (or at least try to), because DPS becomes boring to me. And I like the pursuing of knowledge theme.

so you want to dps with ranged and melee equally well, as well as heal just as good... with 1 spec/class. yea... no.

I feel kinda upset that my melee attacks are getting weaker too, but that's only cause I'm spoiled from the loremaster in lotro. I think if Tumult was a well aimed or flashy lightsaber attack, it'd fill an important character gap for us sages. We just have no reason to ever use our lightsaber at all, and that feels weird.

Numbers effectiveness it is not, but I love Projection while running at a standard or weak, then tumult ninja kick while they stunned, then finish with a light saber twin strike.

Other classes may be able to one shot such beasts, but being a with a light saber is funny.

For those that wisely don't get that close, just think of the saber like a Harry potter wand for casting your magic :p

While I enjoy the sage gameplay. Always did like channeled/dot based casters with high mobility, but I also really wish that the lightsaber was more then just a statstick.

It just seems weird not to incorporate the lightsaber at all with the sage gameplay. Would be nice to see the lightsaber play part more defensively. Tumult working in PvP along with the basic lightsaber attacks scalling from willpower would be a good start. Unity not being shared with your companion but instead act like a regular defensive cooldown involving the lightsaber would also be interesting.

Its a little annoying that the last two shared Jedi Counsler abilities we get are both useless in PvP.

But the game is new and I'm sure every class will be revamped three times over so we can only hope that Bioware does something to spice things up a bit and make.

On the subject of lightsaber use in sages... The class is primarily based off of Yoda, is it Not? If my memory serves correct, Yoda only used his lightsaber once in the entire Star Wars Movie Series (Battle with Count Dooku, Genosis)... It only makes sense that the lightsaber isn't used much in the Sage class...

While I am definitely along with the crowd pointing out that strong melee is not exactly appropriate to the Sage class (as well as balance concerns stemming from having excellent range as well as powerful melee) I am more than a little disappointed that my lightsaber is now a glowstick with stats.

While that's nice for throwing lightswitch raves, it does make me a bit sad--when Yoda did bust out his wee little saber, he was a twirling little bad-motha(shut yo mouth!) with it.

I don't think Sage needs a plethora of melee skills. I'm not even sure something needs to be done about the double strike scaling, but a couple of lightsaber moves for the class would be nifty, and here's some suggestions:

1. Saber Throw "Finisher" - instant moderate/high damage strike available only when target is below 10% on a long-ish cooldown. (~30s)
  2. Saber weav-y defnsive goodness - another short duration defensive ability on a longer cooldown. Maybe... like a 5 second duration of 100% defense increase--channeled to both help with animation coolness and also to prevent things like "I'm invincible while I kill you in the face with a big rock!"
  3. At least one single, meaningful melee attack - it doesn't even need to hit that hard, as long as it's got a rider slapped on it. Another game gave a very ranged class several up-close abilities for a very long time, and while they certainly were not intended for constant use, the ones with rider effects certainly made the class more versatile and enjoyable in that "something meleeing me automatically wins" was not the rule of the day.

Edited by LeperJack

I came into this game not knowing anything about the various classes, and took only the knowledge I could find in game. I did this with a purpose of trying not to min/max a thousand ways before the game started.

So given that, when I chose Sage as my advanced class when leaving Tython I was a bit disappointed to find that my melee days were over. I had thought this was some kind of melee, range, healing mashup. Which had me concerned because as a healer wearing light armor, sitting in melee has never been a good thing in the many years of online gaming I've got under my belt.

Now that I understand the dynamics of the class better, I like it a lot.

You know the saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

This is more like, "If life gives you an orange instead of an apple, make orange juice."

so you want to dps with ranged and melee equally well, as well as heal just as good... with 1 spec/class. yea... no.
I dont want uber melee+ranged+heal in one spec, that's just wrong. In one class it's possible (WoW druid), but I dont want that either.

On the subject of lightsaber use in sages... The class is primarily based off of Yoda, is it Not? If my memory serves correct, Yoda only used his lightsaber once in the entire Star Wars Movie Series (Battle with Count Dooku, Genosis)... It only makes sense that the lightsaber isn't used much in the Sage class...
Yes, Yoda didn't use his lighsaber often, but he is considered to be one of the best with it - as you said, he was able to fight Dooku and later Palpatine, which means he is no pushover.

I'd like to have some use for my lighsaber, even if it was one or two last option skills (like if an enemy gets close or a finisher).

Right now I feel like if I had a pitchfork instead of a lightsaber it would be the same.

The name pretty much says it...

I kinda enjoyed the starting levels when my sword was of some use, now (close to level 20) I just feel like a pebble throwing kid with plastic lightsabre.

Am I the only one who feels that way? Will I ever get the feeling that I'm a jedi master?

How did you ever get the impression that we would be able to melee? Didn't you inspect the AC at first before you chose it in game? Didn't you do any research on the playstyle or changes made to the class?

Honestly, the Devs killed any thoughts of Sage melee in beta MONTHS ago. Not sure how anyone still has this impression.

1. Saber Throw "Finisher" - instant moderate/high damage strike available only when target is below 10% on a long-ish cooldown. (~30s)
  2. Saber weav-y defnsive goodness - another short duration defensive ability on a longer cooldown. Maybe... like a 5 second duration of 100% defense increase--channeled to both help with animation coolness and also to prevent things like "I'm invincible while I kill you in the face with a big rock!"
  3. At least one single, meaningful melee attack - it doesn't even need to hit that hard, as long as it's got a rider slapped on it. Another game gave a very ranged class several up-close abilities for a very long time, and while they certainly were not intended for constant use, the ones with rider effects certainly made the class more versatile and enjoyable in that "something meleeing me automatically wins" was not the rule of the day.

Saber Throw would be a good start! It feels weird to me being in a sci-fi setting and making my enemies tremble before me because I'll throw a rock at them.

I know the Sage is not a damage character but it sucks to be out in the PvP world and get beaten by the other Jedi/Sith classes. Granted I have yet to 1v1 a Sith Sorcerer it is discouraging to just get cut down. I am sure anyone who reads this will flame me as a bad player or throw some useless term as kiting at me. It still does not take away the sting of, from where I can see, being the weakest.

The class is pretty much what I expected cant comment on game play too much I'm only level 22 but you hit it on the head when said "when am I going to feel like a Jedi master" the only time that happens for me is when Im running away and deflecting blaster bolts behind my back as I flee. That looks like damn fine force use right there. Pebble throwing not so much, especially when I see the force lightning animation the sith get, so jealous.

A very good fix in my mind would would be to incorporate the light saber into some existing spell animations. like instead of telekinetic throw being a pebble storm your toon could start firing off his light saber in boomerang like catch and throw very quick cycles for the duration of the channel.

It of course is all just for "feel" but any new spells that come down the pike or anytime you can bioware put in some more light saber somehow would be appreciated.