Anyone else wish they made this game less cartoonish?

sithlordwulf

Those are the only two options you can see? The "tyranny of the or" raises its head. :)

Truthfully, though, there are many reasons to have stylized graphics in a game. Some can be due to the models that an engine best supports. Going outside those model frames actually can cause severe issues with the engine and thus with gameplay. (And, no, this is not just Hero Engine. Anyone try the 2D high-res models on the Unity engine lately?)

Also, certain graphic models allow the game engine to "de-texturize" in a scalable way to allow the game to be played as well as possible on various systems of differing graphical capabilities. My son plays SWTOR on an IBM Ultrabook Thinkpad laptop, for example, and his experience is quite good with the game.

Finally, what is "realism" that you speak of? That can mean quite different things, particularly in the context of game design. Ultra-cartoon-like models can still exhibit realistic body motion (animations), which is a form of "realism." The most cartoon-like game in the world can have an excellent physics engine that models collisions and object interaction. That would qualify as a form of "realism" -- even with those cartoon graphics.

People who want to be informed about realism in games (instead of just complain about it) should read various articles on the subject. A particularly good, if involved one, is here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JocelynKim/20141209/231889/Unrealistic_Expectations_for_Realism_in_Games.php

Not all "realism" means photo-realism, for example. There's also the long-running debate of realism compared to style in graphics for gaming concerns.

Clearly not everyone will agree on all of these things, of course, but at least being somewhat informed about them will make it easier to take certain viewpoints seriously. Who knows? It may actually lead to interesting discussion about the pros and cons of "more realism" versus "more stylized" and whether there even has to be a "versus" there.

You need to chill to idk why people defend the game like it's their God . It doesn't hurt to have criticism or just a opinion on something . Yes realism what do you want me to say I'm just trying to put my point out there that I wish it didn't look so cartoonish .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this is our KOTOR 3, the graphics make sense.

Haircuts is another question entirely...who says you can't be emo in Star Wars Universe tho? I'm sure plenty of things in life to hate there.

Hmm it really doesn't make sense people seem to forget this is star wars we are talking about millions of die hard fans they could've made tons of cash if they fixed on some parts of the game including basic graphics . I know they graphic cards do improve texture but I don't think it makes them look less cartoon like . Having convos with npcs sometimes can really show the flaws .

What he meant was you can't expect next gen graphics from a game that is FOUR YEARS OLD!!!!

I don't expect that ? I never said I wanted next gen graphics you all are just attacking me and putting words in my mouth . I just wanted to say I wish they made this game look less cartoon like even fallout 3 looks better and it came out in 2008

I don't expect that ? I never said I wanted next gen graphics you all are just attacking me and putting words in my mouth . I just wanted to say I wish they made this game look less cartoon like even fallout 3 looks better and it came out in 2008

I've played Fallout 3 and no it doesn't.

The only thing that bothers me really (I can even deal with the hair) is the size of weapons to character, especially in cut-scenes. It's not as bad as it was in and it definitely has gotten better in newer cut-scenes, but the best example of it is when you wield your lightsaber for the first time at the forge on Tython the size of the lightsaber looks absolutely ludicrous in relation to the character. Every time I replay that class quest I know it's coming, but I still cringe when I see it.

What he meant was you can't expect next gen graphics from a game that is FOUR YEARS OLD!!!!

And yet SWG had better graphics than this game.

Guessing a lot of posters weren't around during testing when there'd be swaths of complaint threads about how SWTOR looked.

I've played Fallout 3 and no it doesn't.

Umm if you think think swtor's graphics looks less cartoon like then fallout 3s you must have a different view of what you find cartoon looking . The detail on what you wear like power armor and the details on a deathclaw are way better then any gear I've seen in SWTOR or a rancor or any beast I've seen .

And yet SWG had better graphics than this game.

Guessing a lot of posters weren't around during testing when there'd be swaths of complaint threads about how SWTOR looked.

I remember the tree trunk-sized lightsabers. *shiver*

IHO, alot of the games that aim for realism, is the one that gets outdatet in the GFX department first. A stylized look , ala this or wow tend to look better for most people inthe loong run. Just compare a 5 year old shooter game or sometthing to the ones today, and you will get my meaning :)

Bingo.

Lolwut?

LOL.. yeah... he is projecting a clear sign of false memory. I bet he walked 8 miles, uphill both ways, in the snow, to get to school too. :p

To the OP... um... MMOs are not meant to be anywhere near realistic in graphical rendering. And as cartoonish goes.. this one is pretty far down the list of MMOs that are currently running.

Edited by Andryah

Calm down don't make assumptions .Why would I make a thread just for refers ? Enjoy life don't hate on everything .

Hmm lets see, maybe because on weekends threads about RAF links come out of the woodwork. lol

There is no hate; it's just a rule.

As for your OP, this game is way less cartoonish than WoW.

Funny you complain about it, because when I came to this from WoW I hated the graphics. I liked the cartoonish of WoW. It made it more fantasy, game like. Not RL.

LOL Cartoonish? go look at WoW or Wildstar then tell me these look Cartoonish.

You can't tell him he's wrong just because there's games that look more cartoonish than TOR. That's like saying that green isn't a color because yellow and blue exist.

Personally, I wouldn't call TOR cartoonish, but it is certainly stylized. I do agree that 95% of the haircuts are junk, though. Literally all of my male toons have the same haircut. It's pretty bad.

Hmm lets see, maybe because on weekends threads about RAF links come out of the woodwork. lol

There is no hate; it's just a rule.

As for your OP, this game is way less cartoonish than WoW.

Funny you complain about it, because when I came to this from WoW I hated the graphics. I liked the cartoonish of WoW. It made it more fantasy, game like. Not RL.

I honestly didn't even know that I just started posting on SWTOR site recently and in my past posts I haven't put my refer link at all . And so I'm not saying SWTOR is more anime then WOW I'm just saying I wish they didn't make this game look cartoon like but I'm not hating I just wish .

IHO, alot of the games that aim for realism, is the one that gets outdatet in the GFX department first. A stylized look , ala this or wow tend to look better for most people inthe loong run. Just compare a 5 year old shooter game or sometthing to the ones today, and you will get my meaning :)

You don't understand and so do the 2 other dudes who argreed with you I didn't ever say I wanted call of duty graphics or next gen I just said I wish the SWTOR graphics weren't so cartoon like . It's a wish I don't hate the game just would love it more if npc convos didn't look like a toon show .

LOL.. yeah... he is projecting a clear sign of false memory. I bet he walked 8 miles, uphill both ways, in the snow, to get to school too. :p

To the OP... um... MMOs are not meant to be anywhere near realistic in graphical rendering. And as cartoonish goes.. this one is pretty far down the list of MMOs that are currently running.

I agree the graphics are better then most mmo games .but I just wish they didn't look cartoon like . Don't hate the game but npc convos can really take me out of the game .

the graphics is not that bad.. but its old...wish i could use SweetFX or ENB to boost it, i'm playing it at Ultra.. but sometime in conversation..the model details are so.. low

I agree. The style by itself is not that bad, but it does look old. I also dislike the four bodytypes system. They should have made characters simply scalable during character creation.