Races

supachibiawesome

i have two questions if you would not mind one is why are all the races humanoid it might just be me but i want to play as a Selkath maybe it would be too hard to program because they cant speak english or something but id like to know. and two is why cant i have a homosexual relationship in the game i have a male sith inquisitor and a female smuggler i would both like to make gay is it an issue with fans because of the fans who don't like that i just want to know. Edited by supachibiawesome

The requirements for races are:

must speak basic (english for us)

must have the humanoid body type (to fit with all armours)

must be of humanoid size (to fit in cutscenes)

and the already mentioned romance issue.

This means Togruta and Nautolan are as exotic as we are going to get.

So no wookiee, trandoshan, ewok, selkath, mon cal etc.

The requirements for races are:

must speak basic (english for us)

must be of humanoid size (to fit in cutscenes)

and the already mentioned romance issue.

This means Togruta and Nautolan are as exotic as we are going to get.

So no wookiee, trandoshan, ewok, selkath, mon cal etc.

none of that should be any restriction on adding new races.

give a reason for the new race to be able to speak basic

make new armor types based on the race type

re-frame the camera for the cutscenes

When you make your sci fi MMO, you can show us all how it "should" be done.

For one, this is a suggestion thread.

I'm not saying it would be easy, however, this is a star wars game. Theres a lot of races in this universe.

So we can understand what it says without having to read subtitles.

I didn't mean for you to give me a reason for the race to speak basic. I meant, give the created toon of said race to be able to speak basic. So you, the player, can understand.. without having to read subtitles.

Edited by CurtisPoirier

I'm not saying it would be easy, however, this is a star wars game. Theres a lot of races in this universe.

I didn't mean for you to give me a reason for the race to speak basic. I meant, give the created toon of said race to be able to speak basic so you, the player, can understand.. without having to read subtitles.

Could you imagine an Ewok/Wookie/Selkath/Mon Cal with the current voice actors? It's not as simple as saying "Fu** they speak Basic now.", it has to look at least believable.

Yes, and many of them were playable in SWG. TOR is not SWG.

I didn't mean for you to give me a reason for the race to speak basic. I meant, give the created toon of said race to be able to speak basic. So you, the player, can understand.. without having to read subtitles.

Selkath are clearly capable of speaking Basic, since their language sounds like English (i.e., Basic) gibberish. Wookiees, Talz, Ortolan and Kubaz are the only races in game I can think of at the moment which are incapable of speaking Basic.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Could you imagine an Ewok/Wookie/Selkath/Mon Cal with the current voice actors? It's not as simple as saying "Fu** they speak Basic now.", it has to look at least believable.

With one of those devices over their mouths that weve seen many times in Clone Wars and now Rebels, yes.

Seeing as the Head slot is auto hid on Togruta, fit all armor isn't mandatory. That said, I would say that normal Humanoid in body (minus head) would be a must (so as to not completely forgo Armor Appearance or cause issues) that would fit the small, medium, big, large/amazonian body types of Character Customization as well as normal height.

That said, I also don't see Selkath being made playable but how Togruta were handled, it does give rise to the possibility of Species like Chagrian and Nautolans being made playable. However I do agree, that species like Wookiees (Non-Basic Speaking and Armor wouldn't show being main reasons), Trandoshans (Hands/Feet being a problem [yes I know, they could just auto-hide them like the head gear, but in my opinion, auto-hiding a Player Character's hand/feet could be more challenging then to auto-hide the Head Gear (which already has a toggle)]). Ewoks/Jawa's (Don't speak Basic (for the most part in regards to Jawas) and are too short as well as Gear issues).

With one of those devices over their mouths that weve seen many times in Clone Wars and now Rebels, yes.

There was a rule on those shows (which were shown on childrens' channels) that no alien speech would be subtitled so kids that struggled with reading at speed would not be put off watching. So most aliens would speak basic - including races not previously given to the language such as hutts and Rodians. Where this was impossible the directors resorted to some old tricks - other characters repeating or translating what was just said for the benefit of the audience, or where that was not possible, an autotranslate device to be worn by Ithorians etc.

So yeah, it was an invention of convenience for the show, rather than a deliberate extention of the lore.

There was a rule on those shows (which were shown on childrens' channels) that no alien speech would be subtitled so kids that struggled with reading at speed would not be put off watching. So most aliens would speak basic - including races not previously given to the language such as hutts and Rodians. Where this was impossible the directors resorted to some old tricks - other characters repeating or translating what was just said for the benefit of the audience, or where that was not possible, an autotranslate device to be worn by Ithorians etc.

So yeah, it was an invention of convenience for the show, rather than a deliberate extention of the lore.

its canon now regardless of any theories as to why it was created

Edited by Monumenta

Ewoks/Jawa's (Don't speak Basic (for the most part in regards to Jawas) and are too short as well as Gear issues).

"Jawanese" and "Ewokian" sound like Basic/English gibberish, so Jawas and Ewoks are clearly capable of speaking Basic. But that does not eliminate the other much larger issues.

"Jawanese" and "Ewokian" sound like Basic/English gibberish, so Jawas and Ewoks are clearly capable of speaking Basic. But that does not eliminate the other much larger issues.

Basic speaking amongst Jawas are extremely rare (at this point as there has only been 1 Jawa that spoke Basic. But afaik, there hasn't been a single Ewok that has spoke Basic. But yeah, that doesn't eliminate all of the other problems blockading Ewok & Jawas from being made Playable [Note, I'd rather Jawa & Ewoks remain unplayable]

Basic speaking amongst Jawas are extremely rare (at this point as there has only been 1 Jawa that spoke Basic. But afaik, there hasn't been a single Ewok that has spoke Basic. But yeah, that doesn't eliminate all of the other problems blockading Ewok & Jawas from being made Playable [Note, I'd rather Jawa & Ewoks remain unplayable]

It's not for lack of physical ability. Their vocal anatomy is clearly capable of producing Basic (English) words.

I think we are in no danger of ever getting playable Jawas or Ewoks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.