The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lightsaber pikes?

From the stuff I've seen of the upcoming expansion, apparently the new grunt enemies will be using lightsaber pikes as a standard weapon. I'm really, really happy to see these things finally getting used.

What I'm really hoping for any wanting to see, though, is a version of the lightsaber pike that players can use. I know that it should work for Sith Assassins and Jedi Shadows, as I don't think it should conflict with any of their weapon animations.

I'm also hoping to see more lightsaber shotos now that one was added in the last season's PvP rewards, but that's a bit off topic.

The rendered video also showed some kind of troopers with physical shields. Yes to those too please.

Yes please. The weapon restrictions are stupid in of themselves. If nothing else, make it so that the abilities has weapon restrictions but allow everyone to equip everything... Would at least please the roleplayers a lot.

Edited by Inzuher

• 1 month later...

This would be an amazing game either.

-Without weapon restrictions.. so I can play my assassin with a single saber without removed abilities.

-With a saber staff for assassin or long handled lightsaber usage, somehow. Including such I bet would get positive feedback instead of just.. generic sabers only.

Edited by Krimlord

The rendered video also showed some kind of troopers with physical shields. Yes to those too please.

I'm all against shields being something we can wield, as they're pretty impractical. Every class that could use one (and for the sake of discussion here I'm ONLY referring to tanking classes), already uses a two-handed weapon and use a energy shield generator. An Assassin/Shadow couldn't use their double-bladed lightsaber AND use a shield, nor could a Vanguard use their blaster rifle AND use a shield. The most likely candidates for this would be the Guardian/Juggernaut, and the Powertech. However, I don't think this is fitting for a Guardian/Juggernaut as they fight with a two-handed grip, and I don't think it's practical for a Powertech to use a shield either.

Though I think the shields are cool, the only capacity I want to see them in the game for Players, is via a Decoration you can get for your Stronghold. I think it'd be awesome to randomly get one of these off the Zakuul Knights (maybe limit it to 1 or 10 at the most), and hang them up in our Strongholds as 'trophies' of sorts.

Now, as for the Pike.........HELL YEAH! I've always been a fan of the Lightsaber Pike. As for the weapon restriction, I think it's silly. A Jedi/Sith should be able to use ANY kind of lightsaber and vibrosword/electrostaff, and a Tech User should be able to use ANY type of blaster, it just makes sense. Hell, I'd love to see my Vanguard using an assault cannon, though sadly I know it's only an awesome hope at best.

I'm all against shields being something we can wield, as they're pretty impractical. Every class that could use one (and for the sake of discussion here I'm ONLY referring to tanking classes), already uses a two-handed weapon and use a energy shield generator. An Assassin/Shadow couldn't use their double-bladed lightsaber AND use a shield, nor could a Vanguard use their blaster rifle AND use a shield. The most likely candidates for this would be the Guardian/Juggernaut, and the Powertech. However, I don't think this is fitting for a Guardian/Juggernaut as they fight with a two-handed grip, and I don't think it's practical for a Powertech to use a shield either.

Though I think the shields are cool, the only capacity I want to see them in the game for Players, is via a Decoration you can get for your Stronghold. I think it'd be awesome to randomly get one of these off the Zakuul Knights (maybe limit it to 1 or 10 at the most), and hang them up in our Strongholds as 'trophies' of sorts.

Now, as for the Pike.........HELL YEAH! I've always been a fan of the Lightsaber Pike. As for the weapon restriction, I think it's silly. A Jedi/Sith should be able to use ANY kind of lightsaber and vibrosword/electrostaff, and a Tech User should be able to use ANY type of blaster, it just makes sense. Hell, I'd love to see my Vanguard using an assault cannon, though sadly I know it's only an awesome hope at best.

I agree about the shields. They would be awkward to have.

The lightsaber alone is lore friendly, not including shields which in of itself is an extreme rarity if even in other lore at all.

Pike and long handled lightsabers would both work. And have both shown up in lore more than once.

For my sith, I was thinking that having a long handled lightsaber or pike would be a breath a fresh air from being restricted only to a single ordinary saber and a double saber and absolutely nothing else. Which if you ask me is tedious.

Good idea for you, bioware. We would love it. Either as altered weapon restrictions, loosened or removed, or a whole new class/advanced class system.

Edited by Krimlord

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Still waiting for the guard shoto to show up. That would probably make people play Sentinel/Marauder a lot more. Still a lightsaber pike would be awesome for my shadow despite how impractical it is!

-Sentinel/Marauder for the win!

Edited by Brownflame

Sure, pikesabers *look* cool, but why would anyone actually use one in combat? I have two concerns:

1a) If the blade starts just inside the long handle where it comes out then it's too easy to just chop it off or blast it rendering it useless.

1b) From what we know, though, is that the blade most likely extends all the way into the handle down to where the grip (and crystal) is, right? So all that space from the grip to where the blade comes out is literally wasted.

2) The whole point of having a lightsaber is that the blade is the hero and can do stuff so why handicap yourself in-combat with what is, essentially, bringing a dagger to a katana fight. Stopping blaster fire makes no sense if the blade is so short and far away from your body.

I love the idea that maybe they are purely ceremonial and not designed for combat at all.

-text-

1a)Unless it was made of lightsaber resistant material. Oh and its actually made of it.

1b)Well, considering the length of pike and deadliness of lightsaber, you pretty much have non-lethal other side of weapon at your disposal. But gotta agree, its kinda wasted.

2) Pike is supposed to be used with shield. Unless you are that guy. And about "dagger to katana fight". If not to talk about gameplay, i would say that you can throw dagger (and pike) like Marr did.

But adding it into the game makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by unibim

Figure this is a good place to drop this bit on dulfy

Note, I think the labels are backwards.

Yup, they just needed to do alot of testing with the animations with it. Thats another reason why they made the HK-55 special chapter, so they can try it out and make you play as Koth/Lana or another character to do a mission or part of a mission. So if say they allow us to play as a zakuul knight or senya they already need the animation for the movements then they can use them to the lightsaber classes and boom CM item.

Yup, they just needed to do alot of testing with the animations with it. Thats another reason why they made the HK-55 special chapter, so they can try it out and make you play as Koth/Lana or another character to do a mission or part of a mission. So if say they allow us to play as a zakuul knight or senya they already need the animation for the movements then they can use them to the lightsaber classes and boom CM item.

I doubt they'll actually change the animations if you are using a pike. It might look a little silly at times but people will still spend many millions for it.

Guess we'll see though. About all we can be sure of is another round of "it's too expensive on GTN" threads and the like.

Sure, pikesabers *look* cool, but why would anyone actually use one in combat? I have two concerns:

1a) If the blade starts just inside the long handle where it comes out then it's too easy to just chop it off or blast it rendering it useless.

1b) From what we know, though, is that the blade most likely extends all the way into the handle down to where the grip (and crystal) is, right? So all that space from the grip to where the blade comes out is literally wasted.

2) The whole point of having a lightsaber is that the blade is the hero and can do stuff so why handicap yourself in-combat with what is, essentially, bringing a dagger to a katana fight. Stopping blaster fire makes no sense if the blade is so short and far away from your body.

I love the idea that maybe they are purely ceremonial and not designed for combat at all.

Why? For the same reason someone would use a spear to fight someone with a sword. And unlike a double-bladed saber, you get greater reach from actually being able to use the length of the shaft, while also not risking gutting yourself from the opposite end.

The argument about simply cutting the shaft is disingenuous, since the movies have shown opponents with staff weapons (ie Magnaguards) that could go up against a lightsaber. There's no reason a lightpike wouldn't be constructed of the same material, considering what they're intended to go up against.

The analogy of equating a polearm to a dagger is hilariously flawed. A more accurate analogy would be, "It's like bringing a spear to a katana fight". As far as blaster defence, I've seen plenty of movies where someone with a spear blocks/deflects arrows, which is no less "realistic" than using a lightsaber to do so.

Edited by HeatRacer

• 3 weeks later...