Class for Kotfe

warshan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rolling with my JK Sentinel main first - it seems most fitting, given her history with the Emperor through the class story. I expect to take all my Force-using alts through after that (got a JC, SW, and SI) and the non-Force using alts later at some point. I like my IA a fair bit after leveling her up (despite her being a dirty Imp), so she might get moved up my priority list.

Let's be real: if all the BH was in for was the credits, at this point he will have made enough to retire and buy Nar Shadda. "My hunter only cares for credits" stops making sense once the scale of the story reaches this level - something more grandiose has to be motivating him, otherwise the risk just isn't worth the reward. I like the image of the reluctant tough guy strolling into town at high noon because no one else can pull it off.

This. Really, the idea of "just wanting credits" for the smuggler and BH starts to make less and less sense as early as after act 1. By that time those classes are extremely well off: their adventures are no longer just about a paycheck, and failure to realize that fact for as far as to level 50 and even beyond not only serves to make the characters one-dimensional and less interesting, but indeed puts them out of joint with the ongoing storyline where the stakes are about far more than getting rich.

As for whether the non-force using classes are capable/powerful enough to be pivotal in KotFE, that depends a whole lot on how you imagine them. The way I see it, by that time in the storyline those classes could well be considered as individuals who by far surpassed the limits of their species and, though arguably not traditionally force sensitive, demonstrate a skillset and capacity to make correct decisions to a point where for all intents and purposes they could be, just without the traditional training.

I really like the idea of the smuggler as some kind of "accidental hero." Being at the right place at the right time, combined with luck and wit and cleverness, allows them to become something larger than life. The 1-50 story supported this, but it gets harder as the stories get more generic. I love the idea of, "Oh my gosh, the world is ending and there's no one here to fix it! Hey..what about you...yeah, YOU, over there? Can you fly a ship/plant some mines/sneak into some place, etc?" And then you've got your smuggler sitting there looking around and pointing at themselves like, "who me? Yeah, I guess I could do that." And bam, the unlikely hero is born. I really hope KOTFE allows some variation in class responses so that this interpretation can still stand. The thing I hate most is when my happy-go-lucky gunslinger starts acting like a Jedi. <sigh>

I really like the idea of the smuggler as some kind of "accidental hero." Being at the right place at the right time, combined with luck and wit and cleverness, allows them to become something larger than life. The 1-50 story supported this, but it gets harder as the stories get more generic. I love the idea of, "Oh my gosh, the world is ending and there's no one here to fix it! Hey..what about you...yeah, YOU, over there? Can you fly a ship/plant some mines/sneak into some place, etc?" And then you've got your smuggler sitting there looking around and pointing at themselves like, "who me? Yeah, I guess I could do that." And bam, the unlikely hero is born. I really hope KOTFE allows some variation in class responses so that this interpretation can still stand. The thing I hate most is when my happy-go-lucky gunslinger starts acting like a Jedi. <sigh>

Yeah, I too agree that the smuggler plays best as being consistently reluctant and accidental/improbable in that kind of position; though also determined to get it done as there doesn't seem to be anyone else who could do it, like you say.

• 1 month later...

I just finished story and I will tell you that dark sided inquisitor is terrible to play... was terrible since you finished story at 50 lvl.

Revan

You was unable to bind ghost of Revan...

Ziost

You was unable to lightning up Monolith ( you must use mechanical lightning instead of your own )

You cant "wake up" possessed minions ( you must use mechanical lightning instead of your own )

And KOTFE is no exception... terrible writed story to fit knight/warrior

You are going to almost-die at last once... rest depends of your choice, and what about ghosts ? You are supposed to be immortal... you cant die unless ghosts will be purged out of your body but story want to show, how you are rescued or "almost died" where inquisitor just cant !

Edited by PatrykJesionek

Saddly, that's part of the one story fits all now, problem.

The Emperor actually thinking a non force user is that dangerous, is just silly. Bounty Hunter stops being a Bounty Hunter when they're trying to be the Empire's hero. What if they chose the Mando way of life anyways? They may like the fight, but they're still a hunter.

Trooper you could at least see trying to keep the Republic safe. All the non force users are treated as no force abilities, no force sensitivity and yet in one mission I had my smuggler shooting lighting out of her hand in SoR and then my Smuggler is able to see force ghosts when she's not force sensitive :p

Saddly, that's part of the one story fits all now, problem.

The Emperor actually thinking a non force user is that dangerous, is just silly. Bounty Hunter stops being a Bounty Hunter when they're trying to be the Empire's hero. What if they chose the Mando way of life anyways? They may like the fight, but they're still a hunter.

Trooper you could at least see trying to keep the Republic safe. All the non force users are treated as no force abilities, no force sensitivity and yet in one mission I had my smuggler shooting lighting out of her hand in SoR and then my Smuggler is able to see force ghosts when she's not force sensitive :p

Yup, at first I was like ah playing a non force user is okay before release but after playing the story all the way? Nope the only way you can justify anything is your connection to "that guy" is the only reason why its happening and that's their excuse.

I am in the camp that the story fits force users more imo. Considering the Opness of the kids I have to throw my suspension of belief out of the window of wondering how a non force user will take them on. If you don't take "those" options with "that guy".

Edited by lokdron

To me, its best suited for the Knight or Sith Warrior simply because of their respective relationships to the Emperor. While the story works for anyone obviously, the dynamic between your character and the emperor is an important element which is enriched by having him as an important part of you characters own background.

To me, its best suited for the Knight or Sith Warrior simply because of their respective relationships to the Emperor. While the story works for anyone obviously, the dynamic between your character and the emperor is an important element which is enriched by having him as an important part of you characters own background.

Honestly I would say any force user would work in my opinion its the non force users is what I am having issue with.

Honestly I would say any force user would work in my opinion its the non force users is what I am having issue with.

The only post-50 content I did with a non Force-user was Makeb (and Korriban/Tython FPs) as a Trooper. After Makeb, things just became way too Force-centric for my non Force-users.

The only post-50 content I did with a non Force-user was Makeb (and Korriban/Tython FPs) as a Trooper. After Makeb, things just became way too Force-centric for my non Force-users.

I personally don't see how the expansion's events would affect the Bounty Hunter or Smuggler. The Bounty hunter and Smuggler are both underworld classes. Who rules the galaxy would make no difference to them.

Edited by cool-dude

I say trooper is a good non-force class to play as for KOTFE story due to his leadership development over the trooper storyline. It makes sense that the Trooper would be a respect leader due to his or her past achievements as a military leader.

I just finished story and I will tell you that dark sided inquisitor is terrible to play... was terrible since you finished story at 50 lvl.

Revan

You was unable to bind ghost of Revan...

Ziost

You was unable to lightning up Monolith ( you must use mechanical lightning instead of your own )

You cant "wake up" possessed minions ( you must use mechanical lightning instead of your own )

And KOTFE is no exception... terrible writed story to fit knight/warrior

You are going to almost-die at last once... rest depends of your choice, and what about ghosts ? You are supposed to be immortal... you cant die unless ghosts will be purged out of your body but story want to show, how you are rescued or "almost died" where inquisitor just cant !

All of this is so true. I built up some headcanon while my SI had her career, but really a whole lot of stuff is left out that would have made the SI more than perfect for the KotFE storyline.

*Minor Spoilers*

For example, a ghost offers the main character power in KotFE, and it's expected that the light side choice is to avoid being possessed by the scary ghost, but that's unnecessary for the SI, for reasons obvious if you've played the story.

*End Spoilers*

Without putting too fine a point on it, the story doesn't work well for BH, Smg, IA, or Trp. It's expected that they have zero or limited (Heroic Moment) Force power, and are therefore pretty helpless against a PREPARED (and powerful) Force-user. Additionally, some fights in the story seem to portray the MC as helpless, Force-wise. Makes sense for these classes, but there's no reason they aren't finished off. As for the JK and SW, it makes sense they could be overpowered, in most interpretations, but not necessarily easily finished off the same way. As for JC and SI? No way. JC is stupid powerful and, even if not initially, the SI gains great power, too.

So, only the JK and SW are of a level in power that they could be expected to play the main character here. Maybe the JC, but immersion is going to be broken the first time she's tossed aside like a ragdoll (no, not by the Emperor, who's powerful enough to do that to a planet).

This is a question that kinda bothers me. The bounty hunter and smuggler already don't fit well into the whole story arc following their personal stories since they should, by nature, only care about credits and notoriety, yet my smuggler is my favorite as he is disconnected from the scheming politics of the galaxy, but the limitations of the game/story force him to be involved (ugh!). I really hope the smuggler can get back to, you know, smuggling as their part in the upcoming conflict and let other heroes do the more frontline work. Wishful thinking, I know...

I've seriously considered just not doing the KOTFE story on my Smugglers/BH because of what you write. In none of my head-cannon stories for those classes would they make the slightest sense in this story.

Edited by Master-Nala

Totally agree on the JK. As his story is Vitiate.

I too think the Jedi Knight was the class this story was written for. After that I would go Consular, Warrior, Inquisitor. I simply don't see the non-force users making sense.

Reasons in spoiler:

In the JK story, it's clear that the Emperor took something of a liking to the Knight. Vitiate wanted to control the JK, not destroy them.

Similarly, the JC was mentored by the First Son and I got the sense that there was a real lament that your character wasn't co-opted to become a child of the Emperor.

As for the Warrior, the hand chose you to be Vitiate's wrath and by all accounts, you exceeded expectations. It's more like a Sidious/Vader kind of relationship.

Inquisitor because they are a force user, but really I don't see even a LS Inquisitor giving a crap about most of this.

I think the Si would work better if he/she was light-sided, and allowed the ghosts he/she had inside out.

As a person who has played KOTFE, I agree with the people who say Jk or SW fit the best. I know some people might say any class can work, but the reality of writing a single story for an rpg game, is that some classes and backgrounds are simply going to make more sense story wise; every single rpg game is like this.

Edited by cool-dude

For me it will be Sith Inquisitor (he will kneel) for Empire.

SW would also be good, but i think SI is better because he is an Opportunist that thinks he can become more Powerfull if kneeling (and he dont wanna die if not^^)

For Republik side it will be Jedi Knight. It is clear why...after there encounter in the old Class Story´s.

(he will not kneel)

Obviously the Imperial Agent :jawa_cool:

I can imagine the headline now:

"The Eternal Empire has fallen thanks to the valiant efforts of...our enigmatic leader?"

I personally love the idea of an unknown (at least the Agents current alias), non-force user being able to influence events in such a manner. Although having a non-force user is a little less 'Star Warsy,' it is more original. All of the force user characters already have these cookie cutter leadership qualities and roles which -although still fun- have been done to death in either movies, or even other Star Wars games..The Agent is perhaps the worst possible candidate for a leader, and that in of itself makes it more interesting to me. No one knows the Agent, and my Agent wants it to remain that way as they are more comfortable in the shadows than the spotlight. That added dynamic for me is appealing, as it provides a new unique experience.

Additionally, the whole 'too weak to stand up to force users' argument is resolved almost immediately due to

Valkorion fusing with us.

At that point, technically any non-force user becomes the most powerful -if you accept his offers- by default.

After the remaining non-force users I'd say the Sith Inquisitor. The whole Valkorion thing seems like a natural progression to that story line.

Edited by Deakon