The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Knights of the fallen Empire and Republic?

delnorr

supposedly the new expansion takes place some 5 years after the invasion of ziost. a time when both the sith empire and republic have been defeated by some as of yet unknown power.

sith empires have risen and fallen many times thought the 'history' of the star wars universe but as are as I know there was only one 'old republic' that lasted 25,000 years including the time span of swtor. we all know from the movices that the old republic fell 19 years BBY not 3635 BBY witch would be 5 years after the invastion of ziost are there now 2 republics?

Well Disney, in one fell swoop, de-canonized every book, game and anything else that is not one of the six movies. So, SWTOR is as far as Disney is concerned non-canon so Bioware can pretty much do whatever they want now.

Which I think sucks personally.

Disney threw away 30+ years of Expanded Universe lore from books and such plus all of the Old Republic lore all because JJ Abrams was too lazy to pick up a book and read one. He was quoted as saying he never read any EU books nor was he paying attention to any lore in them. Not long after, Disney officially stated only the six movies are official lore.

Well Disney, in one fell swoop, de-canonized every book, game and anything else that is not one of the six movies. So, SWTOR is as far as Disney is concerned non-canon so Bioware can pretty much do whatever they want now.

Disney threw away 30+ years of Expanded Universe lore from books and such plus all of the Old Republic lore all because JJ Abrams was too lazy to pick up a book and read one. He was quoted as saying he never read any EU books nor was he paying attention to any lore in them. Not long after, Disney officially stated only the six movies are official lore.

really...

id say that sucks; one of the things I love most about this game is to feel as if I'm a part of that expanded universe. for example when I'm playing sith inquisitor. its as if I'm the real darth nox; and that everything my toon did was the story of darth nox(or the netural/light side name). that would make this a real game breaker if Disney is just going to throw out all existing Expanded Universe lore.

I'm glad TOR is non-canon now. It gives the writers more freedom in where the story can go.

Edited by Rodyn

Agreed 100%.

One more reason added why J.J.Abrams belongs to the thankfully short list of directors whose works I will not go watch under any circumstances anymore.

I like BioWare's Star Wars Universe a lot more than the originals 6 movies but hey, if it wasn't for the originals there won't be Expanded Universe.

Nothing wrong with the original trilogy. The problems came afterwards.

Or maybe because the EU post-ROTJ was a complete mess of warring authors trying to impose their vision on the many disjointed story arcs that happened? Filled with less and less competent novels as time went on? (You can scream as much as you want that Heir to the Empire is awesome, I'll just point to you the Jedi Academy Trilogy, the Force Heretic trilogy, The Black Fleet Crisis, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi.).

So what was Abrams supposed to do? Adapt every single EU novel even though the OT actors are now far too old to make it work? Remember that in Heir, Han and Leia haven't even had their third children, and I'm not sure Jacen and Jaina are born.). Or maybe he should have jumped to after Fate of the Jedi. But then what? Does he make a two hour long summary of what happens? Does he rush the explanations? Does he opens the film with a small "**** you and read the books, morons"?

Fanboying over the EU, especially what follows the OT, is fine. Pretending the EU could have simply remained canon and Episode 7 should have taken it into account is stupid.

And I like many EU books, and still hope some of those, like Darth Bane or the Kotor comics will be adapted in either film or TV shows.

Condemning Abrams for making a sensible decision is childish. That way, if the movie fails, it's his faul and his writers, not the 30+ years of confusing and conflicting EU.

Or maybe because the EU post-ROTJ was a complete mess of warring authors trying to impose their vision on the many disjointed story arcs that happened? Filled with less and less competent novels as time went on? (You can scream as much as you want that Heir to the Empire is awesome, I'll just point to you the Jedi Academy Trilogy, the Force Heretic trilogy, The Black Fleet Crisis, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi.).

So what was Abrams supposed to do? Adapt every single EU novel even though the OT actors are now far too old to make it work? Remember that in Heir, Han and Leia haven't even had their third children, and I'm not sure Jacen and Jaina are born.). Or maybe he should have jumped to after Fate of the Jedi. But then what? Does he make a two hour long summary of what happens? Does he rush the explanations? Does he opens the film with a small "**** you and read the books, morons"?

Fanboying over the EU, especially what follows the OT, is fine. Pretending the EU could have simply remained canon and Episode 7 should have taken it into account is stupid.

And I like many EU books, and still hope some of those, like Darth Bane or the Kotor comics will be adapted in either film or TV shows.

Condemning Abrams for making a sensible decision is childish. That way, if the movie fails, it's his faul and his writers, not the 30+ years of confusing and conflicting EU.

Second. There were definitely some good things in the poast-RotJ EU, like the Thrawn Trilogy, the X-Wing series, and the Legacy comics, but then you had some pretty awful things, like Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Darksaber, Palpatine being revived half a dozen times, and more.

Besides, it likely isn't Abrams' decision. Disney isn't letting just one man determine how Star Wars will be.

Incorrect. Never read any of them have you?

Books that were officially in the EU were certified by Lucas with a little stamp on the back of the book cover. Authors frequently pooled together to make sure everything lined up. That's how you had series written by different authors all tell a cohesive story.

Sure there were single shot books out there, often then weren't part of the EU.

Regardless my original point still stands. Abrams was lazy, didn't even bother to read up on any lore. It is speculation on my part that Disney de-canonized every non-movie to make Episode 7 more "valid" because of that. It could of been coincidence that shortly after the interview with Abrams that Disney made only the movies canon.

Books that were officially in the EU were certified by Lucas with a little stamp on the back of the book cover. Authors frequently pooled together to make sure everything lined up. That's how you had series written by different authors all tell a cohesive story.

Regardless my original point still stands. Abrams was lazy, didn't even bother to read up on any lore. It is speculation on my part that Disney de-canonized every non-movie to make Episode 7 more "valid" because of that. It could of been coincidence that shortly after the interview with Abrams that Disney made only the movies canon.

or maybe they just didn't want 30 odd years of books cornerning what they could do,. you do realize Lucas and his team had this same policy effectivly anyway? take a look at clone wars sometime.

in fact, the novels being reckongized as valid canon moving forward is actually a improvement on that score

so far the novels and SW Rebels have been pretty good at borrowing from the EU when it can. so I don't think we should dismiss it too much

In your obsession with bashing Abrams and Disney, you completely missed my point, congratulations!

I never, NEVER, implied that the EU was some fan fiction level crap or in any way non official. I only just pointed at how ridiculous it quickly became.

Do you remember:

-The Luke Skywalker shipping war in the 90s with Zahn trying to hook him up with Mara Jade and Kevin J. Anderson and his pals pushing Callista to the forefront, even having Jade sleeping with Lando to make sure she wouldn't get Luke?

-The gratuitous death of several characters for no other reason than "because" in New Jedi Order and beyond?

-The pro-Mandalorian/anti-Jedi crap from Karen Traviss in Republic Commando and Legacy of the Force?

-How said plot developments in Legacy of the Force (Boba training Jaina mainly) were completely ignored by Troy Denning in the next and last book of the series?

-How Fate of the Jedi suddenly had the Mandalorians make a complete 180° and return to their child killing way probably to appease fans who dislike the abusive shilling in Legacy of the Force?

-What about the Clone Wars? It was a mess of conflicting plot points between: The novels (Where Bariss Offee is the tantamount of the perfect Jedi healer, ironic, huh?), the Republic comic, the Tartakovsky series, the Filoni Series, the Clone Wars Adventures series...

-The fact that, come the end of Fate the Jedi, the only surviving "new generation" characters of the EU were Jaina Solo (and her husband I think) and Ben Skywalker, killing the potential for new story arcs outside of the OT's Big Three.

And by the way, you still haven't offered your genius solution for Episode VII to take the EU into account.

But I doubt you will, based on your previous answer, I think your loathing for Abrams/Disney has made you decide that the EU was some sacred cow of perfect storytelling and that The Force Awakens HAS to be bad because you want it to.

And to answer your question, yeah, I've read a lot of EU books, specifically: Heir to the Empire and assorted Bantam Era books, some of the New Jedi Order and EVERY SINGLE BOOK from the chronological beginning of the EU "Dawn of the Jedi - Into the Storm" to John Jackson Miller's "Kenobi" and I plan to keep going and re-read the books mentionned above.

I wouldn't get all that upset over Disney doing that. George would have done the same thing.

Do you really think George wouldn't have brought back Chewie? If George still owned SW and made a new trilogy to take place after the original trilogy, he would have wanted all those people back as well.

Chewie being alive would have negated a whole lot of the EU. Movies always take precedence over books/comics and I'll bet they're even able to retcon the TV shows as well.

I wouldn't get all that upset over Disney doing that. George would have done the same thing.

Do you really think George wouldn't have brought back Chewie? If George still owned SW and made a new trilogy to take place after the original trilogy, he would have wanted all those people back as well.

Chewie being alive would have negated a whole lot of the EU. Movies always take precedence over books/comics and I'll bet they're even able to retcon the TV shows as well.

Not only that but Lucas also said that in his mind, Han and Leia never married (Or is it that they never had kids?) and Luke certainly didn't end up with an ex-Imperial assassin/Emperor's Hand. The Yuuzhan Vongs never came, the race to the most clichéd "Death Star rip-off" didn't happen either.

Nor did Palpatine's resurection in Dark Empire (For all that is holy I don't understand how people can find this comic good. Story is poor and the art is terrible, not to mention colors make it undecipherable).

So yeah, J.J. and Disney technically less at fault than Lucas who allowed something he never considered canon to become so huge.

Another interesting question in all of this is how each of the classes spends 5 years in carbonate.

none of the class that I have played would appreciate being locked in a box for 5 years unable to take part in the events that lead to the collapse of the superpowers they serve. all of them have significant combat experiences and very high level connections to the superpowers they serve. someone will apparently force these 8 classes into carbonate storage and presumably release them 5 years later.

Another interesting question in all of this is how each of the classes spends 5 years in carbonate.

none of the class that I have played would appreciate being locked in a box for 5 years unable to take part in the events that lead to the collapse of the superpowers they serve. all of them have significant combat experiences and very high level connections to the superpowers they serve. someone will apparently force these 8 classes into carbonate storage and presumably release them 5 years later.

My money's on... the character themselves locking themselves in carbonite. Kinda like the trap to drain Nihlius; po Vinny, drag him somewhere he cannot feed or escape, freeze thyself.

The five years may just be the time for Vinney to starve to death.