Is the "Medium Satchel of Crafting Materials" a new drop?

Nickious

I just made a quick pass around Rishi grabbing some of the chests (don't think I know anywhere near all of the locations for them but I zipped around and got 5 of them). Yeah, every single time it's these new satchels instead of credits now.

Something that surprised me a bit about it, because I got the wrong impression about this from when I looked over this topic earlier, was that the contents are completely randomized. Logically, you would have thought that they would have created sets of satchels for each separate grade of materials (and drops on each planet would be within the same range as the nodes that can be on that planet). But no. I guess every source of these in the whole game will drop the same items which can contain any random grade of materials.

(I suppose the lack of logic makes sense though. Logically, the Jawa scrap currencies should have been currency. They never should have had the same 1:1 trade-in rate for all grades of materials (aside from the 1-2 exceptions). The flat pricing on those, combined with the huge amounts of scrap that people already had stockpiled before grade 11 mats were added to the Jawa vendors, is what made the Contraband Slot Machine become such a huge issue so quickly (because the slots allowed for absurdly fast replenishment of scrap stockpiles so that the materials intended to be the rarest in the game risked becoming the most common in the game as people were creating more and more scrap to transform into purple grade 11 materials). So sure, why not create a material box which can be found on any planet and which can contain anything up to the highest grade of materials?)

Anyway, random thought on this (very likely) theory that this change is meant to combat gold farm bots: Would it be even more effective if the vendor sell price on these satchels was 0 credits instead of 1 credit? I mean, I'm assuming that these bots must be set up to stop at a vendor periodically to blindly sell everything that they've got in their inventory (providing a bit extra on top of the amount that has been looted from the chests directly). So if they can sell the satchels it may only be 1 credit apiece but then they've got free inventory space to keep picking up more stuff from the chests. But if the satchels were worth nothing at the vendor, it wouldn't be possible to sell them and their inventory would eventually fill up with satchels and render them unable to loot the chests at all (possibly necessitating manual action to open satchels and store materials in cargo before the bot can be allowed to resume its routine).

edit: Wait, if the bots are really selling blindly like I assumed, I suppose that right there could be seen as justification for the 1 credit vendor price. That way, the bots might just cheat themselves out of creating a stockpile of materials to sell.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good idea. Just take the credits out of all chests. If they try to sell mats on the gtn it should drive the prices down there as well making it less worth the effort.

As mentioned, it could also be a prelude to the crafting change coming with KotFE which is a little concerning if they plan to kill gathering missions.

Edited by RaiderMid

Interesting change - and I agree its probably some sort of anti-credit farming change.

Over the last half year or so, they have removed a lot of credits from old instances (run an HM 50 solo - no credits off trash mobs), removed a lot of chests from the game (or reduced size / increased spawn), and now removed credits from chests and replaced with materials.

It will be interesting to see if the spammers price per credit starts to rise as taken together, these changes have the potential to reduced a lot of the botted credit inflows to the game.

Also will be interesting to see if the botters all try to farm Yavin, and whether or not Bioware end up making changes to the slicing lock boxes.

Edited by DawnAskham

Interesting change - and I agree its probably some sort of anti-credit farming change.

Over the last half year or so, they have removed a lot of credits from old instances (run an HM 50 solo - no credits off trash mobs), removed a lot of chests from the game (or reduced size / increased spawn), and now removed credits from chests and replaced with materials.

It will be interesting to see if the spammers price per credit starts to rise as taken together, these changes have the potential to reduced a lot of the botted credit inflows to the game.

Also will be interesting to see if the botters all try to farm Yavin, and whether or not Bioware end up making changes to the slicing lock boxes.

As a slicer well former slicer since I'm starting fresh, Yavin definitely needs to be nerfed. I'm surprised they haven't done anything there to be honest.

The lock boxes don't show up in the same spot all the time. Each one has slightly different locations it can appear in the same general area. So you click one lockbox and it appears a few min later at a nearby location but not always the same spot. (I managed to get into a closing instance and be the only one there and let them all sit for 15 min then only looted one box and watched the respawns.) On top of that, there are normally several actual people farming them. They also tend to be close to mobs. All of these things make trying to bot farm the slicing nodes there a much more difficult than farming chests.

While it would seem to make sense to have each planet's treasure chest drop mats equivalent to those found on it, I wonder if the reason to offer random rewards of all mats is to increase the amount of inventory space opening chests uses. I would imagine this would further deter people engaged in nefarious activities as it becomes quite annoying to constantly make additional bag space.

oooo, this should drive mat prices down nicely, makes making money off crafting much nicer, which with yavin 4 out, is good for me.

I don't think you thought this through very well. When mat prices fall, so do their crafted items. When prices get lower, profit margins usually get tighter. Sure, there will be a delay between the 2 as the market readjusts, but it won't be long.

Anyways, has anyone got more specific details as to what crafting mats can drop from these satchels? Namely, does it include any of the special ones like Rakata Energy Nodes? That could have a rather profound impact. Dark Project prices could plummet.

Well, as annoying as not being to get some credits from lockboxes can be, I AM glad they implemented this if this is indeed a way to combat the damn gold sellers. At least we can say Bioware is trying with all their might to stop the sellers. Might not be 100% effective, but it'll keep them from farming stuff so others can do little chests and such now.

I don't think you thought this through very well. When mat prices fall, so do their crafted items. When prices get lower, profit margins usually get tighter. Sure, there will be a delay between the 2 as the market readjusts, but it won't be long.

Anyways, has anyone got more specific details as to what crafting mats can drop from these satchels? Namely, does it include any of the special ones like Rakata Energy Nodes? That could have a rather profound impact. Dark Project prices could plummet.

So far my drops have all been regular green stuff (like archaeology items and scavenged metal, etc) and a couple of blues from underworld crafting and similar skills.

I think this satchel works quite well. There has been this one treasure chest on Rishi that I kept on watching since October. Well, what I mean is that everytime I was on Rishi with a char (quite regularly, because I really like that planet), I checked that chest.

The last time I had seen it was in October or November (after early start of SoR), I don't remember exactly anymore. Ever since there was either one (or more?) botter who always took it at re-spawn.

He is apparently not there anymore, because he cannot get any credits out of that chest anymore. :)

The chest contained a couple of non-crafting green items like stims (I think it was 4 or 5 different items) and the satchel some green mats (artifice stuff) and 5 x Ciridium. I was quite positively suprised about this satchel.

Ok so I understand wanting to stop bots and arseholes who farm cred to sell on that's fine. However I admit to doing it so that I can buy stuff on the GTN or upgrade my stronghold or help my guild. Now because this has been nurfed and I suck at making creds I might as well ignore anything the needs creds like getting the new stronghold or finally owning revan's mask!!!!

Ok so I understand wanting to stop bots and arseholes who farm cred to sell on that's fine. However I admit to doing it so that I can buy stuff on the GTN or upgrade my stronghold or help my guild. Now because this has been nurfed and I suck at making creds I might as well ignore anything the needs creds like getting the new stronghold or finally owning revan's mask!!!!

Plenty of other ways to make money.

Well they nerfed those chests a couple months back already, so there was no way possible you could get 900k per hour anymore. Someone in this thread already reported those satchels were popping in the place of credits.

I did not see anyone talk about Makeb. But then I was skimming. I used to do the chest farm on Makeb for a few hours at a time, made a pretty penny for myself. If they already made those less lucrative I am sure that too was a nice blow towards the credit farmers.

I'm glad they did something I just wish they hadn't taken so long and that instead they tried making the chests spawn at random times so you couldn't program a run and had them spawn in different places within 100meters.

Just kind of annoying now to manage chest materials on all my characters that don't collect x mat and now have to manage them, ie dump them in legacy bank, tote them around in my always near full inventory because I'm a hoarder.

Seems like a good idea. Just take the credits out of all chests. If they try to sell mats on the gtn it should drive the prices down there as well making it less worth the effort.

As mentioned, it could also be a prelude to the crafting change coming with KotFE which is a little concerning if they plan to kill gathering missions.

What crafting changes are rumoured to be coming to 4.0?

While I'm fine with the change in general, now my char's inventories are cluttered up with either satchels or crafting mats they have no use for, then I need to go to a SH dump the mats in legacy storage, forget to fetch them with chars that could use the mats, and suddenly run out of space in legacy storage.

==> Need more than 5 legacy storage bays.