T minus 1 week till Togruta

SupremeLegate

Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions about price. I just confirmed with the team and Togruta will cost exactly the same as Cathar, 600 Cartel Coins.

-eric

And... regarding the character slot limit? For those of us who already have 22, what do you have?:D

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaahh finally, my second favourite species! Can't wait to play around in the character creator, even though I don't expect many options to be honest. (The typical bandaid fix w/ the headslot hiding is also.... erm, a bit unfortunate.)

Sooo, BW, about those Nautolans.... :) <3

Nautolans are probably next ;)

?

They're adding a new species...

And why do you need more than 22? Delete some, go outside, get a life.

No no no, do not listen to this one, he is delusional, outside is scary, just roll on another server for the time being. Then continue the march with pitchforks to get the server cap raised. Then you can play Ahsoka while, erm I mean your togruta, while trying to get more characters per server. Remember, outside scary, inside awesome, outside scary kids.

No no no, do not listen to this one, he is delusional, outside is scary, just roll on another server for the time being. Then continue the march with pitchforks to get the server cap raised. Then you can play Ahsoka while, erm I mean your togruta, while trying to get more characters per server. Remember, outside scary, inside awesome, outside scary kids.

meh if it wasn't for the big ball of fiery death in the sky outside isn't so bad usually....

deleting chars is probably a good approach

That's not a hood toggle, that's hiding the hood. A hood toggle would mean that your hood would appear laying against your back.

The semantic difference is meaningless here. Both have the same outcome: your character isn't wearing the hood.

That's not even remotely accurate. Firstly, the preview window has zero physics. The reason robes and capes don't fall through speeders is because they're attached to your legs and ankles. Secondly, they can completely determine which objects interact with what. Otherwise your cape wouldn't bounce off your legs while walking.

Actually, capes bounce off everything except mounts (that's how they get tangled up in themselves, which is really just an interaction bug stemming from the game not having physics detailed enough to render realistic cloth folding). I have my Shadow, who wears the Sanctified Caretaker chestpiece, sitting on the ground in-game right now, and it's piled up underneath her - albeit in a buggy, twitching mess. This is why I don't RP. Every time I have to sit, my Shadow's clothing becomes possessed by the Great Old Ones!

It's the speeders themselves which don't interact with anything, and that's likely for gameplay reasons: people would sit on the big landspeeders or large animal mounts and block physical access to NPC's/mailboxes/etc (whereas now you can just click through their mount onto the object of interest).

WoW is interesting in this regard, in that mounts will clip through other players, their mounts, NPC's and interactable objects, but crucially do not clip through the actual terrain (I mean "terrain" in the game-world-building sense, so this includes buildings, trees, etc). If you try to ride a dragon through a door, the wings will prevent you from entering. TOR could learn from this. I mean the mount/terrain no-clip, not the dragons. In WoW, your cloak also doesn't clip through your mount, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has less to do with physics and more that they hardcoded cloaks to bend a certain way on mounts, and that gives only the appearance of sitting nicely on top.

That could be an elegant solution to the speeder/robe clipping, too. Attaching the cloaks and robes to character legs. It's not like there isn't precedent: the Genteel Dress has strips of cloth which are part of the chest (not the dress bottom which is leg armor), and those are attached to the legs similarly to the item-preview "physics."

Also, chest pieces already have collision boxes (or at least the character does) for lekku. Have you never seen the physics of the lekku colliding with your back and shoulders?

Actually, no. Lekku interact with your character model, which has a torso the lekku can't clip through. On certain chest pieces, it can appear that the actual chest armor model isn't clipping, because what's happening is that the chest itself has no 3D model and has simply retextured your character's back (99% of "cloaks" don't actually become physical objects until the waist-line). Lekku clip through the big backpacks on some Trooper/Bounty Hunter armor, and the most hilarious offender is Freedon Nadd's "wings."

The semantic difference is meaningless here. Both have the same outcome: your character isn't wearing the hood.

One looks awful and the other doesn't. BioWare themselves also said they won't do the hood toggle unless they can do it right, meaning where the hood appears down.

Actually, capes bounce off everything except mounts (that's how they get tangled up in themselves, which is really just an interaction bug stemming from the game not having physics detailed enough to render realistic cloth folding). I have my Shadow, who wears the Sanctified Caretaker chestpiece, sitting on the ground in-game right now, and it's piled up underneath her - albeit in a buggy, twitching mess. This is why I don't RP. Every time I have to sit, my Shadow's clothing becomes possessed by the Great Old Ones!

The capes only interact with certain things, if you sit on a crate it will fall through.

It's the speeders themselves which don't interact with anything, and that's likely for gameplay reasons: people would sit on the big landspeeders or large animal mounts and block physical access to NPC's/mailboxes/etc (whereas now you can just click through their mount onto the object of interest).

WoW is interesting in this regard, in that mounts will clip through other players, their mounts, NPC's and interactable objects, but crucially do not clip through the actual terrain (I mean "terrain" in the game-world-building sense, so this includes buildings, trees, etc). If you try to ride a dragon through a door, the wings will prevent you from entering. TOR could learn from this. I mean the mount/terrain no-clip, not the dragons. In WoW, your cloak also doesn't clip through your mount, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has less to do with physics and more that they hardcoded cloaks to bend a certain way on mounts, and that gives only the appearance of sitting nicely on top.

That could be an elegant solution to the speeder/robe clipping, too. Attaching the cloaks and robes to character legs. It's not like there isn't precedent: the Genteel Dress has strips of cloth which are part of the chest (not the dress bottom which is leg armor), and those are attached to the legs similarly to the item-preview "physics."

None of this has any bearing on the fact that they can make the robe interact with the speeder if they wanted while retaining the lack of collision of the speeder with other things.

Actually, no. Lekku interact with your character model, which has a torso the lekku can't clip through. On certain chest pieces, it can appear that the actual chest armor model isn't clipping, because what's happening is that the chest itself has no 3D model and has simply retextured your character's back (99% of "cloaks" don't actually become physical objects until the waist-line). Lekku clip through the big backpacks on some Trooper/Bounty Hunter armor, and the most hilarious offender is Freedon Nadd's "wings."

What part of "(or at least the character does [have collision boxes])" did you have a hard time reading? You claimed that they couldn't make it interact with one object without that object interacting with everything else, which is just false.

Edited by MillionsKNives

And... regarding the character slot limit? For those of us who already have 22, what do you have?:D
Gonna have to wait for the expansion for those.

Unless plans change (and they always can), we should be getting 2 more.

In the meantime, assuming you don't want to sacrifice a character, I suggest transferring a character to a different server.

You can always bring them back later.

I saw those scary kids, they have sharp teeth and their eyes were glowing.

*shivers*

Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions about price. I just confirmed with the team and Togruta will cost exactly the same as Cathar, 600 Cartel Coins.

-eric

Will we get a limited time discount on race changes when Togruta get released?

try earlier. 6 am no big ball of fiery death just a lot of pretty colors. :p

That's an even worse time, there are 'joggers' out. Have you seen them? Joggers, jogging around, it's...lunacy! No, best to just stay inside, no scary kids, no joggers, just a computer and deliveries from farm fresh.

That's an even worse time, there are 'joggers' out. Have you seen them? Joggers, jogging around, it's...lunacy! No, best to just stay inside, no scary kids, no joggers, just a computer and deliveries from farm fresh.

Hey now, I am one of those walkers out there at that time! :p

I saw those scary kids, they have sharp teeth and their eyes were glowing.

*shivers*

Lol. Saw them once. Went outside to check the mail and they rode by on their bikes. Scared the bajeeezus out of me. Didn't know you could get those things outside of the CM.

I read somewhere that in the expansion if we activate the outlander we get another slot, no official news on extra slots for 3.3 though.

Edited by Icestar

One looks awful and the other doesn't. BioWare themselves also said they won't do the hood toggle unless they can do it right, meaning where the hood appears down.

They look virtually identical. Most robes in real life don't have a hood, either. And of course, "awful" is subjective.

None of this has any bearing on the fact that they can make the robe interact with the speeder if they wanted while retaining the lack of collision of the speeder with other things.

On the contrary, it rather does. I was saying that a different game of the same genre and scope is capable of making different classes of objects interact or not (that is, not clip or clip).

Because at no point have I ever, in all the years I've played TOR, seen an object interact physically with some things, but not others. All (admittedly anecdotal) evidence points towards a binary 1 or 0, clip or noclip. The question becomes: is that a self-imposed limitation by the developers (ie. they won't change it), or is it a limitation of the physics engine (ie. they can't change it)?

Is this a problem in ESO? It also uses the HeroEngine. I only played it in closed beta, and it was buggy as all get out so I don't think my experience there is representative.

What part of "(or at least the character does [have collision boxes])" did you have a hard time reading? You claimed that they couldn't make it interact with one object without that object interacting with everything else, which is just false.

Delicious ad hominem. Do keep insulting my reading comprehension. All it does is invalidate your argument.

I know exactly what you said. My point was that lekku are a part of the character wire-frame, so of course they're not going to clip with either themselves or any attached torso. Which is different from parts of chest armor that stick out from the base character chest, such as the heavy armor "backpacks" I already offered as example.

Hey folks,

-eric

Perfect, I just got my monthly stipend, so I'm definitely buying one Tuesday.

Hey folks,

-eric

Since you're talkative lately, how about you just go ahead and spill the beans on the next race already.

Pretty pretty please?

Cherry on top?

I need an angel smiley dagnabit! :cool:

I've previewed all of the hooded cartel chests on Twi'leks and they look great without hoods! In most cases the hood-free version is much nicer than hooded. It would be a shame if they are denying us hood-free versions over something so trivial.