Warning - Norton 360 Full Scan & SWTOR.exe false positive.

Anishor

Just as a heads up to those have Norton 360 ( it may affect other of their products ) but in a new release now include heuristic scanning in their full scan options and it's horrible, I had a rather ungainly number of false positives including swtor.exe. This was on the 'automatic' setting for the heuristic scanner. I turned it off it's so bad and am considering switching protection platforms. Which is a shame since the Norton 360 platform I've had nothing but glowing stuff to say about them for years.

Heuristic scans...

Bitdefender doesn't find anything. Though it did find trojan from GOG's Rayman Forever. Tbh, I don't even want to know how it managed to find something from very old game.

Edited by Halinalle

i wouldnt trust norton software as far as i could throw my house.

It's as good as any other good antivirus. Some of them just have a habit of doing these.

For example AVG is notoriously known for false positives. I liked AVG a lot when I used it many years ago but I got really tried of it.

Just as a heads up to those have Norton 360 ( it may affect other of their products ) but in a new release now include heuristic scanning in their full scan options and it's horrible, I had a rather ungainly number of false positives including swtor.exe. This was on the 'automatic' setting for the heuristic scanner. I turned it off it's so bad and am considering switching protection platforms. Which is a shame since the Norton 360 platform I've had nothing but glowing stuff to say about them for years.

I have Norton Internet Security and it doesn't seem to be affecting that version. Maybe it's something specific to 360.

It's as good as any other good antivirus. Some of them just have a habit of doing these.

For example AVG is notoriously known for false positives. I liked AVG a lot when I used it many years ago but I got really tried of it.

i use avast most of the time but i also use another av software as well, because one will pick up on whats on the list where others will pick up on their own lists, that way more of them are found, i also have spybot (old software and ghostery active as well to keep the junk from cluttering up), i then have tune up utilities active to comb through the machine each week to remove invalid registry entries and find other things and correct other issues, it also defragments the computer files as well, so.

i only use avg as a fall back but i have yet to encounter it being overprotective with the 2015 version on default.

i use avast most of the time but i also use another av software as well, because one will pick up on whats on the list where others will pick up on their own lists, that way more of them are found, i also have spybot (old software and ghostery active as well to keep the junk from cluttering up), i then have tune up utilities active to comb through the machine each week to remove invalid registry entries and find other things and correct other issues, it also defragments the computer files as well, so.

i only use avg as a fall back but i have yet to encounter it being overprotective with the 2015 version on default.

I gave up with all that, eventually something gets through and the last time it happened to me it bricked my Barracuda 7200. Now I just keep RogueKiller and Malware Bytes installed on a USB thumb drive, praise the lord for bootable USB devices.

Have you heard about VirusTotal?

I gave up with all that, eventually something gets through and the last time it happened to me it bricked my Barracuda 7200. Now I just keep RogueKiller and Malware Bytes installed on a USB thumb drive, praise the lord for bootable USB devices.

Nothing is hacker proof, there have been cases of the most secure american agencies getting hacked in the past. so yeah, something will always get past, but its using what you got, no point worrying beyond that, serves no purpose, it happens, then it happens.

Have you heard about VirusTotal?

nope.

I have Norton Internet Security and it doesn't seem to be affecting that version. Maybe it's something specific to 360.

I have Norton Security as well and don't have this problem.

I'm not even sure 360 is even supported anymore, save virus definitions. If you have a legit subscription, I'd tell you just to upgrade to Security.

I work for a tech support company. We remove norton from peoples PCs all the time and we call it a "norton infection".

I would never allow their software on my pc.

Antivirus that just runs in the background on your PC is no longer very effective. Most malware now requires user interaction(ie tricking you to click something)

Norton and Mcafee are the worst when it comes to eating up all your system resources and doing nothing.

I put the lightest possible AV on my machine and scan with HitmanPro and Adwcleaner often.

Avast free is ok if you put it on gaming mode so it shuts up. lol

also good:

kasperski

bitdefender

Ones i would never use:

symantec software(norton)

mcafee

any iobit software

Edited by Smuglebunny

I have Norton Security as well and don't have this problem.

I'm not even sure 360 is even supported anymore, save virus definitions. If you have a legit subscription, I'd tell you just to upgrade to Security.

This was only with a recent upgraded version, I'm not at home so I don't have access to the version #. But the heuristic scan only activates on a 'full scan'

Ones i would never use:

mcafee

any iobit software

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection at work. I am not a fan, to say the least. About twice per day, it performs an update and proceeds to bog down my machine's disk access so badly that my comp is borderline unusable for up to two hours at a time. Were it up to me, this "software" AKA malware would be gone. It's amazing to me that such a horrible user experience could possibly be deemed acceptable. Maybe there is some issue with how the software is set up on my machine, I dunno. We don't really have an IT guy, which is frustrating, and yet I lack the admin privileges to do anything about it. :mad:

Whilst everyone will have their favorites etc. I agree the likes of Norton and McAfee are nothing but bloatware and almost virus' in of themselves ( look up John Mcafee who founded McAfee for a laugh too, nutter thugh nothing to do with the company these days ).

Symantec is again pretty bloat but a bit more reliable than the above.

I personally run Avira and Comodo free versions in tandem for firewall and AV and rarely have any issues. Been using Avira now for a few years and it's not skipped a beat on me so will probably keep with it in that regard. :)

I work for a tech support company. We remove norton from peoples PCs all the time and we call it a "norton infection".

I would never allow their software on my pc.

Antivirus that just runs in the background on your PC is no longer very effective. Most malware now requires user interaction(ie tricking you to click something)

Norton and Mcafee are the worst when it comes to eating up all your system resources and doing nothing.

I put the lightest possible AV on my machine and scan with HitmanPro and Adwcleaner often.

Avast free is ok if you put it on gaming mode so it shuts up. lol

also good:

kasperski

bitdefender

Ones i would never use:

mcafee

any iobit software

My Razer Synapse uses more resources than NIS does on my system, RazerCore @ 30.5 MB with heatmapping adding another 10 MB and NIS @ 13.5 MB.

This was only with a recent upgraded version, I'm not at home so I don't have access to the version #. But the heuristic scan only activates on a 'full scan'

Just ran a full system scan, 2 SSDs, 1 USB thumb drive and only found 74 tracking cookies. It's not happening in NIS. I'm running Win 8.1 and NIS version 22.5.0.124.

My Razer Synapse uses more resources than NIS does on my system, RazerCore @ 30.5 MB with heatmapping adding another 10 MB and NIS @ 13.5 MB.

Yea, my Norton Security only runs about 6.4 MB when idle. I don't know how other people are running so high as they claim. I know it was a problem with 360, and a few other previous versions, but I have not had that problem since they went from 360 to Security.

I can't say for NIS, because again it's an outdated version of the program which was discontinued in Sept 2014 along with 360, with the release of Security.

Yea, my Norton Security only runs about 6.4 MB when idle. I don't know how other people are running so high as they claim. I know it was a problem with 360, and a few other previous versions, but I have not had that problem since they went from 360 to Security.

I can't say for NIS, because again it's an outdated version of the program which was discontinued in Sept 2014 along with 360, with the release of Security.

Discontinued from sales after Sept '14 (which was when I bought this subscription), but it's still supported though I think the backend is entirely changed over with that last patch that I downloaded a couple weeks ago. The UI definitely was changed entirely from the old NIS flip window UI, it's green and white instead of yellow and black. So I suspect it's the first stage of phasing out the old licenses as they expire.

I have no idea why people use third-party antivirus on home machines. All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials (built into Windows 8/8.1 as Defender) and Malwarebytes. Just use common sense when browsing **** and torrent sites and you'll be fine.

Whilst everyone will have their favorites etc. I agree the likes of Norton and McAfee are nothing but bloatware and almost virus' in of themselves ( look up John Mcafee who founded McAfee for a laugh too, nutter thugh nothing to do with the company these days ).

Peter Norton has nothing to do with what Symantec has done with his software, and more recently in his name, either. And I fully agree with your assessment of both companies' products.

I have no idea why people use third-party antivirus on home machines. All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials (built into Windows 8/8.1 as Defender) and Malwarebytes. Just use common sense when browsing **** and torrent sites and you'll be fine.

Lemme guess, you work for M$?

MSE can't find it's way out of a paper bag. It's a horrible AV. The amounts of false positives, resource hogging, and lack of finding real viruses is a joke. You may as well wait till M$ releases the malicious software removal tool each month at that point, it's the same protection.

Lemme guess, you work for M$?

MSE can't find it's way out of a paper bag. It's a horrible AV. The amounts of false positives, resource hogging, and lack of finding real viruses is a joke. You may as well wait till M$ releases the malicious software removal tool each month at that point, it's the same protection.

This.

The company I work in uses the MSE. It wants to update its virus definitions 3x a workday and completely fills the 4GB RAM for over 30 minutes. I know RAM isn't expensive but when you have over 2000 PCs it is.

Ah, the great AV scam.

I haven't used AV for years. Haven't had a virus for years either.

In the computing science department at my university, we openly mock AV software.

This is what I do personally. If there is something suspicious then I remove it by hand, or only open the file on my Linux system.

MSE for win 7 and down isnt strong enough You need 3rd party.

For win 8.1 you can use windows defender. I use it on a win 8.1 laptop and it has never been infected.

But then again I havent had a virus or malware on a personal machine in over 8 years, probably cuz my job is to remove malware all day and I easily recognise it.

On certain machines norton runs ok, on certain machines it does not.

But norton has caused many problems for me in the past while trying to fix PCs so i dislike it.

If it works for you and you are happy then its fine.

I dont like mcafee cuz it runs even in safe mode and the whole point of safe mode is to NOT have it running...anyway...

My advice is light AV and frequent backups. ;)