When and or how did you become a gamer

Mounds

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't into video games too much as a kid, I did have my Star Wars action figures!

It wasnt till high school that i met people who had a computer that interested me and later on got into consoles too.

the funny thing we played D&D ( pen n paper) mostly then the computers

My first RPG on the computer was the Ultima series, then Baulders Gate 1 and 2 and KOTOR and Never Winter Nights

at the time i got a new laptop to play NWN 2 but was upset that the game wasnt working 100%

a co workers told me about SWG and said nyah i dont play to play. Well he bought me SWG and 2 months game time!

played MANY MMO's since then

Grrr its all his fault im here lol

i started on a tv casette recorder playing an old 2d scroller a little army man attempting to make it past hundreds of bad guys and tanks with a big chunky keyboard just pressing space jumping past them and shooting a few when possible, avoiding their fire as well. after that it was the pc in the early 90's as a 5 or 6 year old kid, playing kiloblaster and cosmo's cosmic adventure, jill of the jungle and zone 66.

after all that moved to another place, a few years later i got a hold of a sega mega drive 16 bit, playing cartridge games, mostly super monaco gp and super monaco gp 2. Then got another pc, at that time was playing corridor 7, major stryker, transport tycoon, lemmings and simcity along with wolf 3d, must of been aroun 8-10 years old, not long after that my first online experience was startrek armada demo, had some fun with that and on occasion f1 2000 and homeworld.

moved again and again and finally settled by around 14 years old. built 2 pcs and at that point it was f1 challenge 99-02, return to castle wolfenstein enemy territory and age of empires series going upto conquerors at the time. had some limited chances to play against my brother in lan games, blood, age of empires, quake 2 campaign coop. these lasted a good number of years.

those were fun days, long since past.

Edited by Celise

One of the plus sides about having young Uncles was the fact they gamed. So, when I a wee little girl they taught me how to play the original Donkey Kong, on their Atari. After that it was pretty much over.

I really became a gamer the moment I turned on my original Nintendo, and pressed play on the Legend of Zelda. It was epic.

Edited by Amadahy

I became a Gamer back in the early 70's when I received my first home Pong Game for Christmas!::D

On a side Note according to my wife that's probably when I stopped growing up also :p

Edited by huggaa

Awesome stories!!

I also have. 4 kids and have them well on the way in gamingdom :)

in my house we HAD a Wii but now PS3 and PS4, 2 desktops the better one plays Swotor. and around 3 laptops oh and an iPad 2

i often tell them to go out and have fun but hey I brought them into gaming lol

Awesome stories!!

I also have. 4 kids and have them well on the way in gamingdom :)

in my house we HAD a Wii but now PS3 and PS4, 2 desktops the better one plays Swotor. and around 3 laptops oh and an iPad 2

i often tell them to go out and have fun but hey I brought them into gaming lol

Why go outside when you can travel to different planets as a Bounty Hunter or a Sith? :cool:

More single-player games, but there was this company called Simutronics by then that had a game called Gemstone III. I actually paid good money to sit there and watch text scroll on a screen. My character was named Noblesage Goldenhoof, a sorcerer or warlock. Think it was called a warlock. At least it was multi-player. The platform beneath it at the time was something called TADS (text adventure development system). Decades later, Simutronics licensed the Hero engine to Bioware for SWTOR.

I played Gemstone as well. I think I had a sylvan bard...didn't make it very far though, because then I discovered Simutronic's other game, Dragonrealms...and I played that for 7 years. :eek: All those Simu games are STILL going, by the way, and they STILL send me e-mails trying to get me to come back.

I became a Gamer back in the early 70's when I received my first home Pong Game for Christmas!::D

On a side Note according to my wife that's probably when I stopped growing up also :p

Lol sounds like my wife. "You're a forty something year old who still games? Are you ever going to grow up?" My reply is a simple "nope". Now I have a 10 year old daughter and we love to game together.

When I was five, I went over to a friend's house. He had just gotten something called a "Nintendo." I had never heard of it before. I didn't even know video games existed at that point. He had a game where you could jump on guys to kill them, and if you found a flower, you could throw FIRE!

I dashed home, hurt that my mom had hidden the existence of such a thing from me.

I eventually got one, and it's been an on again/off again relationship since then.

First off, being a "Gamer" is more than just video games.

I started gaming with statistical sports reproduction games back in the 60's with my Dad, then onto Dungeons & Dragons in the mid 70's. I dabbled in other table RPG's along with playing D&D on a regular basis up until I played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, KOTOR 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 2 & 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age 1 & 2, and now SWTOR. I have DA Inquisition, but haven't played it yet.