Immortal PvP in DPS gear

Technohic

I was leveling a jugg when I have a guardian that I leveled in the 2 DPS specs so I did it in Immortal and was taking my comms and getting Might Mods and otherwise mostly damage oriented gear. Turned out to play rather well and the higher level I got with more abilities, the more I enjoyed it.

So I have to ask. I know skank tanking is a thing as vengeance but how viable is it to run a bit more DPS stats as immortal? I still used a shield and kept some shield chance and absorption rating to where maybe I could still guard a bit but the bigger intention is to be a more sturdy DPS where I can jump in at a healer and draw some attention and be able to withstand some focus then intercede out. I'm thinking with 3.3 ahead, I can have 2 sets of gear, one for this (not for ranked) and another for full out tanking for when I know I am going to have a healer with me.

The only thing I think is that teammates will see I am in immortal spec and would just rather I committed to tanking entirely since there are often not many.

I was leveling a jugg when I have a guardian that I leveled in the 2 DPS specs so I did it in Immortal and was taking my comms and getting Might Mods and otherwise mostly damage oriented gear. Turned out to play rather well and the higher level I got with more abilities, the more I enjoyed it.

So I have to ask. I know skank tanking is a thing as vengeance but how viable is it to run a bit more DPS stats as immortal? I still used a shield and kept some shield chance and absorption rating to where maybe I could still guard a bit but the bigger intention is to be a more sturdy DPS where I can jump in at a healer and draw some attention and be able to withstand some focus then intercede out. I'm thinking with 3.3 ahead, I can have 2 sets of gear, one for this (not for ranked) and another for full out tanking for when I know I am going to have a healer with me.

The only thing I think is that teammates will see I am in immortal spec and would just rather I committed to tanking entirely since there are often not many.

Here is your 2 options:

1) If you're teammates are understanding you can exist in DPS gear and either play the part of dps, tank, and off-tank. As a dps, you'll be in Shii-Cho form and do dps like any other dps. If you off-tank, you'll dps until unless you are require to take the heat off the main tank so he can be healed properly or if the tank falls in battle, you can substitute until he is revived. As a tank, you'll be able to tank certain mission, FPS, Tactical FPs, and Operations and priorities will be no different from a regular tank.

2) You're teammates want you as a tank for Operations and Hard Mode FPS so you should may need an outfit for tanking, but you can keep DPS gear for times they need to dps.

DPS tanking is viable and it is good (as you found out yourself) despite the lies often said about it, but you can only exist as a DPS tank amongst those who don't have a problem with the way you are geared. So if you are going to tank DPS at level 60, then try to find a group who will accept you for your gameplay. I have dps tank every operations and tank/off-tanked in Knightmare mode operation in all the classic operation (I did it as a Vengeance, but my DPS tank would have done better) I have pictures to prove my off tanking as well.

Now my advice for gearing when you reach level 60, you should invest in the Tank Spec Guardian Armoring so you can get the Tank bonuses with that armoring. You can still have Might Mods, but just make sure you using the Guardian Armoring with the TANK BONUS so you can still be affective while in the group. As to whether you should use the Shield or Focus, it doesn't really matter. However, it is better to have the Shield as Immortal Specs are more physical/melee base class than a force base class like the Rage or Vengeance spec. There is only two VERY GOOD SKILLS that are forced base skill for the Immortal Spec and that is Smash as well as Force Scream. (Actually 5, but 3 of those are CCs that do low damage)

Lastly, when gearing as a dps tank from 33 and up, you should get mods that give STR/PWR and Enhancements that give CRI/SURGE. When you reach level 60, you should continue the formula, but make sure to attach PWR augmentations to your final gear. By the time you finish, you should have a 80% or greater Surge Percentage, a 25% or greater Critical Chance, and 1000 or Greater Power Rating. If done right, you should be hitting enemies for 4k to +10k.

I use to think you needed to put everything in your Surge Rating, but after switching from Surge Augmentation to Power Augmentation, I found it help increase the damage done to opponents in PvP as well as PvE.

Edited by adproduction

Here is your 2 options:

1) If you're teammates are understanding you can exist in DPS gear and either play the part of dps, tank, and off-tank. As a dps, you'll be in Shii-Cho form and do dps like any other dps. If you off-tank, you'll dps until unless you are require to take the heat off the main tank so he can be healed properly or if the tank falls in battle, you can substitute until he is revived. As a tank, you'll be able to tank certain mission, FPS, Tactical FPs, and Operations and priorities will be no different from a regular tank.

2) You're teammates want you as a tank for Operations and Hard Mode FPS so you should may need an outfit for tanking, but you can keep DPS gear for times they need to dps.

DPS tanking is viable and it is good (as you found out yourself) despite the lies often said about it, but you can only exist as a DPS tank amongst those who don't have a problem with the way you are geared. So if you are going to tank DPS at level 60, then try to find a group who will accept you for your gameplay. I have dps tank every operations and tank/off-tanked in Knightmare mode operation in all the classic operation (I did it as a Vengeance, but my DPS tank would have done better) I have pictures to prove my off tanking as well.

Now my advice for gearing when you reach level 60, you should invest in the Tank Spec Guardian Armoring so you can get the Tank bonuses with that armoring. You can still have Might Mods, but just make sure you using the Guardian Armoring with the TANK BONUS so you can still be affective while in the group. As for the shield or Focus, it doesn't really matter. However, it is better to have the Shield as Immortal Specs are more physical/melee base class than a force base class like the Rage or Vengeance. There is only two VERY GOOD SKILLS that are forced base for Immortal SPec and that Smash as well as Force Scream. (Actually 5, but 3 of those are CCs that do low damage)

Lastly, when gearing as a dps tank from 33 and up, you should get mods that give STR/END/PWR and Enhancements that give CRI/SURGE. When you reach level 60, you continue the formula, but make sure to attach PWR augmentations to your final gear. By the time you finish, you should have a 80% or greater Surge Percentage, you should have a 25% or greater Critical Chance, and 1000 or Greater Power Rating. If done right, you should be hitting enemies for 4k to +10k.

I use to think you needed to put everything in Surge, but after switching from Surge Augmentation to Power Augmentation, I found it help increase the damage done to opponents in PvP as well as PvE.

Thanks for all that info. Good to hear.

What about talents? Anything special to do there?

Thanks for all that info. Good to hear.

What about talents? Anything special to do there?

PvE wise, you need...

First Tier

1) Path Carver - Increase AOE damage using Sweeping Slash even further as you get an increase in damage with it under the Immortal spec.

2) Overwhelm - Keeps certain enemies immobilized when doing Ravage. Good if you lose aggro against certain enemies.

3) Unstoppable - Protects you from certain movement impairments, but not all of them.

** Payback - If you are the main tank or off-tank very often. If you are mainly dps then ignore this. You can switch out Overwhelm or Path Carver to get this.

Second Tier

1) Sonic Wall - Is a must have and your bonus works with this. This allows you to reduce your friend's damage. This is extremely good if you and your team are about to get hit by a AOE.

2) Embolden Scream - Allows you to increase the speed of your friends using Chilling Scream. Good for speed runs.

Third Tier

1) Intercessor - Reduce more damage and threat of those you are Intercepting.

2) Thrown Gauntlet - Allows you to use your Chilling Scream for free and reduces your Force Push. Combined with Embolden Scream, you and your friends can speed run mission/operations and over more ground.

** Through Passion, Through Power and Consuming Rage are good if you are the main tank often. Don't pick these if you are off-tanking or doing dps.

Edited by adproduction

If your talking PvP, either pick an immortal in full tank gear, or just play a dps spec as rage or vengeance in dps gear. You don't want to run immortal in dps gear at 60 and be the paper tank, you will be tunneled because you see the same pvp players match after match, when they know your a paper tank they will just tunnel you, get rid of you, then move on to the healer. At worst you might even be hurting your team if you are immortal in dps gear guarding your healer, when there is another tank on your team that is a full blown tank and his abilities are being wasted on guarding a dps.

If your talking PvP, either pick an immortal in full tank gear, or just play a dps spec as rage or vengeance in dps gear. You don't want to run immortal in dps gear at 60 and be the paper tank, you will be tunneled because you see the same pvp players match after match, when they know your a paper tank they will just tunnel you, get rid of you, then move on to the healer. At worst you might even be hurting your team if you are immortal in dps gear guarding your healer, when there is another tank on your team that is a full blown tank and his abilities are being wasted on guarding a dps.

PvP would be the same except he go with the other third tier suggestions since he isn't his focus isn't tanking. If he is doing ranked, he can gear as please. If he is doing ranked, whether he can dps tank or not, would be up to this team. This is why I suggested in #2, to have both tanking gear and dps tanking gear. So whether he is doing PvEs or PvP, he can play as he chooses.

In addition, you're not a paper tank in PvP. Oh lord, I keep here this and my dps tank the entire time never had that problem. Nor do people tunnel you. ROFL!

Edited by adproduction

OP, this is a name that you're best off completely and utterly ignoring. He lives in his own little world and, no matter how much hard evidence is brought before him, refuses to accept that his little "DPS tank" is nothing more than a regstar spec that will melt like paper in either ranked format and will get globalled in any meaningful operations.

If you want to play Immortal in PvP use full tank mitigation gear. If you want to DPS learn Rage or Vengeance. You can't be both a tank and a DPS at the same time, you'll only accomplish being mediocre at both and being a determent to your team.

While the moderators may not see this as "nice," rest assured, it's relatively accurate. Much of the forum community has attempted to rectify some of the ideas that said person has attempted to propagate, to no avail.

I'm one of the more open minded and crazy players on the forums, but this isn't "open minded" or "player bias." Simply put, DPS tanking is ****.

While the moderators may not see this as "nice," rest assured, it's relatively accurate. Much of the forum community has attempted to rectify some of the ideas that said person has attempted to propagate, to no avail.

I'm one of the more open minded and crazy players on the forums, but this isn't "open minded" or "player bias." Simply put, DPS tanking is ****.

OP if you are reading this. Pull up a chair beside me because this is going to get good.

http://i.imgur.com/S6HAKVZ.gif

1) How your ego Grand? Considering I beat you twice in one game. However, you would be still be hear posting non-sense of stuff you haven't tried.

GrandLordMeance: But I have...

You made 400k and I have made 700k to 800k in one game so if you were posting your best effort forward, how the hell does a suppose sorry player like myself able to do more damage than you? Not mention, I dps tank operations. Yet, you somehow an expert when you've never played an entire game as DPS geared tank? ROFL! Even more laughable when people who also didn't try it agree with you. What's worse when other board member remark how they love this build, you have nothing to say until I say something. (Can you say butthurt?)

2) No, they haven't and most of the people who post the same stuff with you are the same elitist trolls I speak of. Other people are people like the poster above who jump on the bandwagon despite never having tried the build. I have played this build with PvE and PvP. I even went as far as to post picture and you still denied it BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE CONCEPT. You did the same **** with Vigilance, when I post the same **** you did, you were pissed off because beat you to punch. You've insult me several times despite posting similar status and attributes that you have post in many other post. You do this because you are narcissistic.

3) You're not open LOL! You've never support this build (or the concept of any other) even when proven wrong. You lost your temper several times, including in game when tried to fight me. You don't support anything except your OWN IDEAS. You're the textbook definition of a narcissist. At least I can admit when a build has flaws or if it work or not. You've never done in any of your post.:rak_03:

Lastly, tell the OP how your opinion change from this build being garbage to being able to solo most of the game and being a decent PvP build? (Yes, that came out of your mouth)

Edited by adproduction

:eek:

Sorry. didn't mean to set something off here. Was just genuinely curious.

FWIW; I would never Q ranked like that as I feel it would screw my team out of having a legitimate tank in the matchmaking. It would basically be for regs as I like the way immortal plays but just want to be able to hit a bit harder, unless there is a healer or DPS worth guarding.

Which reminds me that I meant to ask if you can switch gear before a match starts or does it mess with bolster?

:eek:

Sorry. didn't mean to set something off here. Was just genuinely curious.

FWIW; I would never Q ranked like that as I feel it would screw my team out of having a legitimate tank in the matchmaking. It would basically be for regs as I like the way immortal plays but just want to be able to hit a bit harder, unless there is a healer or DPS worth guarding.

Which reminds me that I meant to ask if you can switch gear before a match starts or does it mess with bolster?

Yes, you can switch gear and sorry about your post. This happen any and every post these guys get in here because they don't respect anybody outside themselves. Else they would taken much care to not pick a fight and just simply post what they thought was right. (or at least given you advice instead of throwing insults)

I don't blame you for not ranked tanking. I have ranked tank as a dps tank and won a match (and played several times as a vigilance and lost), but it is no different from Regular 4 v 4 as some of the rank teams will go into regular matches at level 60 since rank matches rarely queue. I like the idea of playing with inexperience players and trying to make it work.

Edited by adproduction

PvP would be the same except he go with the other third tier suggestions since he isn't his focus isn't tanking. If he is doing ranked, he can gear as please. If he is doing ranked, whether he can dps tank or not, would be up to this team. This is why I suggested in #2, to have both tanking gear and dps tanking gear. So whether he is doing PvEs or PvP, he can play as he chooses.

In addition, you're not a paper tank in PvP. Oh lord, I keep here this and my dps tank the entire time never had that problem. Nor do people tunnel you. ROFL!

paper tank my *** get a then with a good healer ans see then :cool: i dps gear working on a pvp tank set for my jugg and shes fine in pvp maybe your just not good i dunno

paper tank my *** get a then with a good healer ans see then :cool: i dps gear working on a pvp tank set for my jugg and shes fine in pvp maybe your just not good i dunno

Of course you're not a paper tank. You're a juggernaut, you have cooldowns.

The problem arises when you have a pressure comp, and you're guarding your healer, and they doubletunnel you to the ground while sitting on your healer. At that moment, all the DPS in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the health pool to survive it.

@ the OP

DPS Tank is good for:

doing some DPS while still being able to guard

Regular Warzones when the other team has low DPS, and you have several healers on your team

Doing minor AOE burst

Making leveling very very easy, easier than it already is

good control

DPS tank is horrible for:

Ranked, especially group ranked, both as a DPS and as a Tank

High end PVE, including HM TOS and Ravagers, and SM TOS and Ravagers, though it is possible to be carried through the latter.

Competitive regular warzones where every team member matters, and there is a real and legitimate stalemate.

It has problems with pressure comps in particular, as damage that is redirected in addition to damage that is directed at you causes a lot more problems due to the health pool.

Actual DPS, in the case of Vengeance/Vigilance comparative to a defense DPS build

Is great for raiding, in comparison

is a very good PVE and PVP DPS

Has a good mix of burst and sustained AOE pressure

Still has excellent survivability, it only lacks one defensive cooldown in comparison to defense.

Faster movement.

Still easy to level, cause... it's leveling... it's easy

Fairly modular in statting.

Cons to Vigilance and Vengeance:

It's not a tank

it relies on Master Strike / Ravage

Edited by GrandLordMenace

Huh? I'm saying you're not a paper tank. I have no problem tanking (including taunts) and fighting at the same time. I mean between taunts and leaps, you can only fight and CC.

Of course you're not a paper tank. You're a juggernaut, you have cooldowns.

The problem arises when you have a pressure comp, and you're guarding your healer, and they doubletunnel you to the ground while sitting on your healer. At that moment, all the DPS in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the health pool to survive it.

@ the OP

DPS Tank is good for:

doing some DPS while still being able to guard

Regular Warzones when the other team has low DPS, and you have several healers on your team

Doing minor AOE burst

Making leveling very very easy, easier than it already is

good control

DPS tank is horrible for:

Ranked, especially group ranked, both as a DPS and as a Tank

High end PVE, including HM TOS and Ravagers, and SM TOS and Ravagers, though it is possible to be carried through the latter.

Competitive regular warzones where every team member matters, and there is a real and legitimate stalemate.

It has problems with pressure comps in particular, as damage that is redirected in addition to damage that is directed at you causes a lot more problems due to the health pool.

Actual DPS, in the case of Vengeance/Vigilance comparative to a defense DPS build

Is great for raiding, in comparison

is a very good PVE and PVP DPS

Has a good mix of burst and sustained AOE pressure

Still has excellent survivability, it only lacks one defensive cooldown in comparison to defense.

Faster movement.

Still easy to level, cause... it's leveling... it's easy

Fairly modular in statting.

Cons to Vigilance and Vengeance:

It's not a tank

it relies on Master Strike / Ravage

My eyes...oh god, my eyes.

Dude, also didn't you say you didn't do DPS tank in rank pvp? So how can you say it doesn't work? The rest of the post, which is false for the most part, I'm not trying to look at due to how poorly it is. God, my eyes.

Edited by adproduction

My eyes...oh god, my eyes.

Dude, also didn't you say you didn't do DPS tank in rank pvp? So how can you say it doesn't work? The rest of the post, which is false for the most part, I'm not trying to look at due to how poorly it is. God, my eyes.

Because I do play ACTUAL tank in ranked PVP, and therefore I'm making an assumption that because of health pools being smaller on a DPS tank, the enemy team could just tank tunnel and kill me. Of course, more damage done potentially means less healing required, but the damage dealt by DPS tank is not that much of an increase to account for TWELVE THOUSAND HEALTH LOST in ranked.

Because I do play ACTUAL tank in ranked PVP, and therefore I'm making an assumption that because of health pools being smaller on a DPS tank, the enemy team could just tank tunnel and kill me. Of course, more damage done potentially means less healing required, but the damage dealt by DPS tank is not that much of an increase to account for TWELVE THOUSAND HEALTH LOST in ranked.

So you either don't Rank PvP as a DPS tank or you do? If you do that would make you a liar since you told me in the other topic you don't, which means you don't have a say in about how DPS tanks work in rank. And really did play a DPS tank, we can get up to 40k or greater considering we wear a lot of gear with endurance on it.

Tunneling in general doesn't work (nor happens very often) unless the team is really bad. (That goes for both teams) If you tunnel, you leave yourself open to be attack yourself as well as leave your healer to die. (I can't tell you the number of 4v4 matches we won due to tunneling) You don't tunnel unless you know you are superior to the next group.

Also DPS tank have cooldowns and they can out last their heavy dps. Hell, my dps damage reduction was so good that he manage to ward off at least attacks that normally doing 10k or great and reducing them down to 7k to 9k. (Snipers do 12k on a regular basis with critical hits, but my dps tank can reduce to 8k to 9k) DPS tanks aren't like Vigilance/Vengeance or Rage/Focus, they last a lot longer than your usual melee dps.

Everything else you said is theorycraft.

Edited by adproduction

So you either don't Rank PvP as a DPS tank or you do? If you do that would make you a liar since you told me in the other topic you don't, which means you don't have a say in about how DPS tanks work in rank. And really did play a DPS tank, we can get up to 40k or greater considering we wear a lot of gear with endurance on it.

Tunneling in general doesn't work (nor happens very often) unless the team is really bad. (That goes for both teams) If you tunnel, you leave yourself open to be attack yourself as well as leave your healer to die. (I can't tell you the number of 4v4 matches we won due to tunneling) You don't tunnel unless you know you are superior to the next group.

Also DPS tank have cooldowns and they can out last their heavy dps. Hell, my dps damage reduction was so good that he manage to ward off at least attacks that normally doing 10k or great and reducing them down to 7k to 9k. (Snipers do 12k on a regular basis with critical hits, but my dps tank can reduce to 8k to 9k) DPS tanks aren't like Vigilance/Vengeance or Rage/Focus, they last a lot longer than your usual melee dps.

Everything else you said is theorycraft.

Where did I say I DPStanked in ranked in recent memory? I said I DPSed, and I also tanked. This entire game is math, and can be simplified down to math. Theory in this game generally lends itself to practice, though there are anomalies.

I HAVE DPS tanked 2 ranked matches in 2.8, but I don't consider that valid proof due to the sample size being too small. I HAVE played hundreds of Ranked and Unranked matches on a DPS, and a Tank, and therefore I can make assumptions, which generally do align with my expectations in said 2 matches in Ranked.

Where did I say I DPStanked in ranked in recent memory? I said I DPSed, and I also tanked.

So you're a liar then?

Quote, "So you either don't Rank PvP as a DPS tank or you do? If you do that would make you a liar since you told me in the other topic you don't, which means you don't have a say in about how DPS tanks work in rank."

Play on words isn't cleverness, it just shows you are very dishonest.

This entire game is math, and can be simplified down to math. Theory in this game generally lends itself to practice, though there are anomalies.

Which didn't help you win when you got beat by me. You attribute your lost to a miscalculation?

I HAVE DPS tanked 2 ranked matches in 2.8, but I don't consider that valid proof due to the sample size being too small.

So you are admitting to lying. Moreover, didn't you say you don't dps tank in ranked pvp because you aren't stupid...but if you did dps tank pvp doesn't make mean...?

So you're a liar then?

Quote, "So you either don't Rank PvP as a DPS tank or you do? If you do that would make you a liar since you told me in the other topic you don't, which means you don't have a say in about how DPS tanks work in rank."

Play on words isn't cleverness, it just shows you are very dishonest.

Which didn't help you win when you got beat by me. You attribute your lost to a miscalculation?

So you are admitting to lying. Moreover, didn't you say you don't dps tank in ranked pvp because you aren't stupid...but if you did dps tank pvp doesn't make mean...?

For the sake of experimentation, I attempted it, because I'm open minded. I decided it wasn't worth it because it was not doing anything I wasn't already capable of doing, and I did do a litany of unranked matches in the spec and made my conclusion. Once again, you're taking what I say out of context, just as in the past you've referenced my own guide for PVP, when I explicitly stated it was for PVE.

Also, if you're really going to use one PVP match to be your argument against me, I'm pretty astonished at the lengths you're willing to go. Everyone loses. It's part of learning to win. Or are you insinuating you never lose?

For the sake of experimentation, I attempted it, because I'm open minded. I decided it wasn't worth it because it was not doing anything I wasn't already capable of doing, and I did do a litany of unranked matches in the spec and made my conclusion. Once again, you're taking what I say out of context, just as in the past you've referenced my own guide for PVP, when I explicitly stated it was for PVE.

Also, if you're really going to use one PVP match to be your argument against me, I'm pretty astonished at the lengths you're willing to go. Everyone loses. It's part of learning to win. Or are you insinuating you never lose?

1) So that makes you a liar then. Also did you say, you don't DPS tank because you're not an idiot? Now you're admitting you do dps tank.

2) So you are not denying the DPS tank is capable? So what has your argument against the DPS tank been about.

3) You're the who is setting the limits of DPS tank usefulness all while not address a question I have asked you several times in several times several topics. What does any of this has to do with the DPS tank usefulness in overall game?

1) So that makes you a liar then. Also did you say, you don't DPS tank because you're not an idiot? Now you're admitting you do dps tank.

2) So you are not denying the DPS tank is capable? So what has your argument against the DPS tank been about.

3) You're the who is setting the limits of DPS tank usefulness all while not address a question I have asked you several times in several times several topics. What does any of this has to do with the DPS tank usefulness in overall game?

Do you understand past and present tense?

I USED to DPS tank, I do not do it now.

At any rate, I have raid soon. Kthxbai

Do you understand past and present tense?

I USED to DPS tank, I do not do it now.

At any rate, I have raid soon. Kthxbai

So you have no knowledge of how DPS tank play nows so you're information isn't valuable at this point? Good to know.

So you have no knowledge of how DPS tank play nows so you're information isn't valuable at this point? Good to know.

...what?

He plays as a tank. For the sake of experimentation he ran some matches in DPS gear. From his experiment he finds that the benefit of wearing DPS gear over tank gear on a tank Guardian is meaningless, and then returns to using proper tank setups.

How the hell did you (adproduction) get that he has no knowledge of DPS tanking out of that? He explicitly stated that he ran a "litany" of matches with it. That how experimentation works.

If anything Rydarius should be praised for actually sucking it up and objectively testing it.

Edited by Zoom_VI