Bulwark (Directive 7) severly bugged

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure its bugged, nor sure that it isn't.

The damage seemed very random sometimes. One try it was easy to heal, next try the damage was insane, while doing the exact same strategy in both.

It seemed like people sometime took the same hit twice instantly (the aoe) for no apparent reason - which might be a bug, or just a mechanism we never figured out.

In any case it's doable, but definitely one of the more challenging hardmode fights I've tried so far.

Edited by ShadoutMapes

Killing a boss must mean that the boss isn't bugged! If any of you people who are so adamant about how the fight isn't bugged, go ahead and link or quote something that says the fight is working as intended.

Umm, are you serious. They don't come out with quotes saying something is properly tuned generally speaking :p. If you note, multiple people have said it is not bugged due to the fact they know how to do the encounter. You are going to have to prove it is bugged not the other way around. It doesn't work that way.

Done this many times with 2 companions and my self and a friend, on normal. Hard mode is a little different because companions are that ehm ehm, and their dps is a little lacking.

*spoiler*

Hide under the weird shaped things with companions, and just eat the aoe because companions wont move out of it, just heal though it, they only hit for about 4k, atleast when stood under the shaped things at the side.

Interrupt smash, your tank will be disabled so make sure you or a dps does it.

1). group under one generator.

2).tanks in middle and rotates to free generator when bulwark defense goes up

3 ). everyone uses interupts on bulwark smash

4 ) when he goes into Defense mode just use the time to let healers recharge everyone and gain power back, the mob does not regen.

5). repeat steps 1 through 4 the boss dies everytime. his rocket barage is easily avoided and bulwark smash is the only big hit he has. the mechanics are simple once you have doe him 1 time. its a really fun fight though

On hardmode, you can have ranged dps/healer stand under the console thingie and they will never get hit by the AOE as long the tank turn the boss away from the rest of the party as the boss does have a pretty nasty cleave.

Bulwark does have a pretty short enrage timer and it can be hard dealing with the droids at the same time. The droids can be cc'ed and they will respawn shortly after being CC'ed. A sith marauder will do great on this fight.

Once Bulwark hit enrage, have everyone move under one console and the tank move to stand under the other console. The normal attack from Bulwark doesn't hit hard but his AOE will one shot you when enraged. Have the tank simply taunt the boss or if he is good he can run out to deal damage but quickly hide under the console when Bulwark is casting his AOE. The same applies to melee DPS.

I have done this fight with 2 sith marauders as DPS first time and 2nd time with 1 assassin and 1 sniper for DPS. We might wipe the first time getting new people familar with the mechanics but within 3 attempts we have him.

This fight is easy. Did him the first try on hard mode. It's about coordination, not gearscore.

I wouldn't agree with this. We have cleared every hard mode not really an issue. We only had time for say 6 attempts on this boss. Hit the enrage timer each time, I even healed the tank through the enrage for the most but still we died. You must have decent damage to get through this fight.

Yesterday we were able to kill him (not using any bugs or anything)

Just poured DPS non-stop on the boss. Ignored the adds completely and just clicked the buttons really fast after they got repaired. Never hit the enrage.

I am FIRMLY in the bugged camp on this guy.

Standing underneath the consoles seems to me like an unintended exploit, but even if that is the intended method for defeating him, every time I've attempted him he still manages to kill us even while his shield was up.

Not to mention that he seems to two shot everyone within seconds of the pull.

This fight is not bugged. With no exploits you should be able to DPS him down if your group has even decent gear from farming a few BT's and such. Use Stims and such if you are close and not getting it yet.

Like I said, just focus hard dps, ignore adds, but DO click the switches every time they respawn (since you are ignoring the adds) and you can definitely beat the enrage timer.

We also did it with 2 melee dps and a tank where we would jump out every time he was about to AoE and would interrupt his other ability.

The extra damage he deals is certainly position based, and is easily avoidable. The aoe damage just has to be sucked up and healed through. When we do this on hard we ignore the little robots as much as possible, they don't do enough damage to focus them down as they spawn. As an operative healer this fight in particular is one of the harder ones to heal in the hard modes, but easily healed solo once you know how to avoid the damage he does behind him.

Never tried it by exploiting under consoles. Not sure why people would suggest this, everyone knows it's an exploit. Why kid yourselves?

Ok after struggling with this boss for two hours in heroic mode, I figured it out. Have your tank on one side, and your healer and two dps on the other side. It does not matter if you have all range or melee or a mix of both.

Here's a list of things you need to do to be successful:

1. Interrupt Bulwark Smash. This has to be done by a dps because Bulwark stuns the healer while he casts this skill.

2. Run out when he casts Bulwark Burst. This is the most deadly move that he has and the one that wipes 99% of all groups. Range and healers can just stand in the corner the entire fight and be fine, but anyone within melee range needs to run out or take aoe damage equal to about 30% of their total health.

3. Disable the panels when the green shield comes out and then have your tank aoe the droids down. The damage they do is minimal and Bulwark does not do that much damage anyways if you are interrupting and avoiding his other moves correctly. Plus when the next set of droids comes out, the old ones will disappear.

4. Bring good DPS. Make sure your group does not have a bunch of greens and has the top mods in their weapons. Also, use stims and relics. This boss is definitely a gear check.

PS: If you can not beat the enrage timer, you can run around the corner. Have your tank taunt the boss and LOS him and have your DPS run in and kill him while he's enraged and no one will take any damage.

~Enjoy~

first time in and it was third time lucky for us here. I think its quite a tight enrage timer.

tank stands on right, dps and healer on left

DO NOT move passed yellow line underneath the boss (that's where your damage is coming from)

as soon as shield comes up hit that switch asap

dps or healer will have to interrupt slam as I am normally CCed by boss when he is casting it and pushed back.

ignore the small droids, healer will normally get aggro from them, me as a PT normally just DfA them down or let them de-spawn, the damage from them is poor.

other than the above its just a big dps race, save all life saving CDs for the last few % as he will prolly enrage before you get him down.

yeah, a couple of the bosses in directive 7 feel a bit too powerful for fresh 50s.. the boss mechanics just feel a bit unnatural (ie standing underneath the panels) and like a lot of the hard modes, dps is a huge problem for undergeared groups. if you're still having trouble with bulwark, i found this guide to be fairly helpful (even in a PuG!). Edited by webbington

Can someone explain the source of the AoE party damage that Bulwark produces without a cast bar? It's not Bulwark Blast or Smash or from someone walking through his green shield. He just randomly decides to hit the entire party for 4k 1 or more times, sometimes he does it twice back to back. It seems like maybe it happens if you don't have a melee DPS within melee range of him during the fight, but I'm not sure - there are no cues to suggest that as the cause. Most overviews of this fight don't even mention the AoE, which makes me think most people must be doing it with melee DPS...

Also, is Smash supposed to deal tons of damage even if you interrupt it? We were interrupting it every time but it still hit the tank for 8-10k. I don't know how you're supposed to heal through that while also healing through his random 4k AoEs.

Also, is Smash supposed to deal tons of damage even if you interrupt it? We were interrupting it every time but it still hit the tank for 8-10k. I don't know how you're supposed to heal through that while also healing through his random 4k AoEs.

AoE heals, proper rotation of your CDs/Adrenals/Relics/etc. Healed it we wiped the first attempt, smashed it's face the second but it was the only fight I really had to actually to put some effort into.

(50 sage, not even close to full epics but 2set Columni gear)

AoE heals, proper rotation of your CDs/Adrenals/Relics/etc. Healed it we wiped the first attempt, smashed it's face the second but it was the only fight I really had to actually to put some effort into.

(50 sage, not even close to full epics but 2set Columni gear)

Are you saying the damage is manageable in a flashpoint with a level requirement of 45 because you can heal through it with raid gear on?

Operatives don't have any AoE heals that can do anything about the boss's AoE. Maybe D7 is an operative-free zone until you have raid gear.

Anyway, my question was about that other AoE damage that comes without a cast bar, and about the damage that comes with an interrupted smash. Are there things that can be done to mitigate those other than wearing raid gear?

This fight is repugnant. My group didn't execute despite everyone checking out advice and videos on the Internet (I'm still not sure why you have to stand in the corners), healing wasn't possible with the sudden damage infliction, we wiped 10 times without ever making a solid dent on his health, and quit (despite everybody trying to interrupt, avoid the AoE, hit the panels, stand in the right spot, blow up the droids, heal and tank, which is the "strategy"--though "stand in the corners of the room for some reason" doesn't qualify much as a strategy to me, just a way to slaughter innocent players a few times.)

When the numbers come back on how many often-overleveled groups disbanded from group content out of frustration, somebody might get fired. That's just speculation. The l33t hardcore players on this board claiming things are "too easy" do not remotely resemble any human being I have grouped with in the game. I have fun with the challenging stuff that requires coordination, but numerous groups I've been in have given up on heroic areas, and that's not counting the people who simply avoid playing them entirely because they seem too hard or frustrating (even if the mobs are easy, some boss will kill you a dozen times and feel impossible.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.