Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Original 8 class stories upgrade. What does this mean do we think?

MeNaCe-NZ

Reading the press release I noted one part I haven't really seen touched on or discussed much as of yet and that is this part:

"In addition, with the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire the original eight class stories from Star Wars: The Old Republic will be enhanced to deliver a more immersive and engaging single-player story arc for players old and new."

Thoughts on what this could mean or be? Many people have focused on the upgrade of the FPs/OPs to 60+ but what is this referring to for the oiginal eight class stories? We already have 12x exp which ends just prior to the expansion launch so how could they enhance the stories more than 12x to make them more "immersive"?

I keep wanting to believe engine update/change is on the horizon as a lot points to this but the amount of work required would surely be too big for it to be a possibility right?

Still ... curious how they could enhance the original content beyond what we already have from the 12x and how it could also be engaging for us old players to possibly want to redo?

I'm 99% sure they simply meant the 12x exp thing.

I read somewhere that 12x ends just before the expansion releases though I can't find where now and also we have already got it now so it's nothing new and doesn't really make the old content more immersive or engaging, just more steam lined.

Perhaps I'm hanging on those two words too much and they've not quite worded what is actually going to happen correctly but I'm still quite curious.

I think they just mean that there will be new individual class stories available at 60 that start in October and will be ongoing with the chapter release system. It sounds like a new form of end game for the players who found the class stories to be their favorite part of the game.

I agree that it's 12xXP. It's probably going to become a permanent feature, the way it is now. The pre-transition part of the game will likely empty really quickly, as all the content will be loaded in the post-transition, so it makes sense to pipe people through the class story fast.

There is no way the expansion can handle class stories. They tried to do two Factions, and they couldn't sustain it; they tried mini quests, and that did not work.

So, they come up with a story that eliminated the Factions and the class identity. In return, we will get story continuation at least for the next year, and, hopefully, more developed shared new companions.

I'm 99% sure they simply meant the 12x exp thing.

I hope you're right. But if so, why not use the E3 platform to advertise the fact that they have that NOW? And currently, you can opt out of 12x xp. Will that be taken away? That would be bad.

And they're not going to remove content from the game...are they? Like planetary arcs and side-quests? Polygon quotes Bruce Maclean as saying:

You don't have to do the 'now go collect things' side stuff. In the past we've had you do that...We don't think of it as grinding. We think of it as 'the MMO bits.' But we're not taking it out, either. We're repurposing it for the alliance content.

"Repurposing it for the alliance content?" What does that mean? Will I still be able to play the level 25 Tatooine planetary arcs and side-quests, or level 40 Hoth ones, like it is today? Because I've never experienced any of those yet. And...I want to play them. I don't think of them as grinding, either. Nor do I think of them as 'MMO bits'. They're story content.

I think they just mean that there will be new individual class stories available at 60 that start in October and will be ongoing with the chapter release system. It sounds like a new form of end game for the players who found the class stories to be their favorite part of the game.

No because:

"new worlds to explore, new companions to recruit into your alliance, and a dynamic story that players will be able to shape based on the choices they make. Knights of the Fallen Empire will launch with the first nine chapters of an evolving story, with new chapters releasing regularly to offer new challenges, fresh storylines, and an expanding cast of new characters to meet and join – or betray."

is about what you've outlined and just below that is:

"In addition, with the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire the original eight class stories from Star Wars: The Old Republic will be enhanced to deliver a more immersive and engaging single-player story arc for players old and new."

Emphasis on the "in addition" bit.

Here is the page in case people missed it, it's a wee bit jumbled in between images on the main page.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20150615

I hope you're right. But if so, why not use the E3 platform to advertise the fact that they have that NOW? And currently, you can opt out of 12x xp. Will that be taken away? That would be bad.

And they're not going to remove content from the game...are they? Like planetary arcs and side-quests? Polygon quotes Bruce Maclean as saying:

"Repurposing it for the alliance content?" What does that mean? Will I still be able to play the level 25 Tatooine planetary arcs and side-quests, or level 40 Hoth ones, like it is today? Because I've never experienced any of those yet. And...I want to play them. I don't think of them as grinding, either. Nor do I think of them as 'MMO bits'. They're story content.

Yeah that's a fairly good question - what does re-purposing mean as to me it means they are indeed changing it in some form and changing something to do with the original quests far beyond just 12x exp?

Yeah that's a fairly good question - what does re-purposing mean as to me it means they are indeed changing it in some form and changing something to do with the original quests far beyond just 12x exp?

I really hope they don't retcon the story to add more stuff, I did all 8 story lines and don't want to make 8 alts to see what's new...

On the other hand they could mainstream it by adding more "passes" so there is less running back to quest giver, increase exp, reduce distance between quest hubs or add more taxis, give better gear as mission rewards and so on.

Further on in that article he says:

You're able to recruit help and additional companions from an expanded cast, including companions who were previously exclusive to other classes. Building that alliance involves going to all the planets in the galaxy and doing activities and missions that build faction. If you want to recruit a character who's favorable to the Mandalorians, you'll be able to do missions for them. You want to recruit a character who hates the Hutts, you'll do missions to build your alliance standing against them.

So...1-60 non-class quests now give you faction rep, I guess? But do you have to wait until 60 to do them? I'd rather do them on my first trip to the planet...much more immersive to me, that way. Also, story-wise, seems like a lot of them have to do with the escalating war of Republic vs. Empire, and would no longer make sense after the carbonite freeze.

Right now you have to be a subscriber for 12x xp. So they do not want to over clarify that they are going to enabled it for F2P when the expansion comes.

So...1-60 non-class quests now give you faction rep, I guess? But do you have to wait until 60 to do them? I'd rather do them on my first trip to the planet...much more immersive to me, that way. Also, story-wise, seems like a lot of them have to do with the escalating war of Republic vs. Empire, and would no longer make sense after the carbonite freeze.

Indeed though if it's all after 60 then the planets would ideally need to be redone ( especially say balmorra ) to account for the lack of war or even an empire/republic for that matter.

This is just another piece that made me think new game/engine. That or they may just add new area's if you are 60+ and playing through the new story content and cannot access the old areas.

I also wonder if recruiting these companions ( new or old or both? ) is part of the chapters or a separate activity altogether? It would be quite cool to have your chapter missions and yeah it's more sandbox for you to go do the sidequests to recruit your companions that you may want.

Either way the more I think on it all the more cool it sounds.

On the other hand they could mainstream it by adding more "passes" so there is less running back to quest giver, increase exp, reduce distance between quest hubs or add more taxis, give better gear as mission rewards and so on.

Oh, this! I hope they mean this. It would streamline the leveling experience and not take anything away.

Edited by Xonell

I think they'll do to all planets what they did to Ziost, pre-KotFE will run the player as we know it now, up to Ziost. When they've done Ziost, the game changes instances of all planets, including starter-planets, so you basically start from scratch and the new enemy is this new Empire. About how this would work for factions, maybe the factions will be merged after Ziost to account for one alliance against the new Empire?

I suspect re-done class story would mean increased XP gains for class quests, less "now click those four buttons in four locations"(maybe one location instead), maybe class quest bonuses(kill 50 people for extra xp) will be incorporated. Quick travel added, I think. Something like that.

I hope

I'd expect something like this, however, considering this part of the press release:

Plus, end-game experiences in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be advanced, giving players the option to join with friends in a variety of multiplayer missions upgraded to Level 60+.

the repurposing might be limited to Heroic Missions?

My guess is it will be phased, some of those planets are heavly more war torn now as seen with korriban. Doubt they would just change it all without phasing in the new stuff.

Even when this expansion launches, people will still be doing the 1-50 story archs.

I caught that too! Do they mean they're streamlining it for a quicker playthrough (not my favorite option) or something else?

This is all so overwhelming. Someone hold me.

i had to smile when i read this, it's kinda how i feel.. tho no touchign pls

The way i see it is that repurpsoing it is either going to be slotting in relevent planetary quests to class chains to beef them up a bit i.e. "enchanced class quests" we've heard about or using them for the new factional quests to gain companions etc. Maybe even a combination of both.

The way i see it is that repurpsoing it is either going to be slotting in relevent planetary quests to class chains to beef them up a bit i.e. "enchanced class quests" we've heard about or using them for the new factional quests to gain companions etc. Maybe even a combination of both.

Using them as fraction reputation quests seems to be confirmed, based on the article. Folding them into class quests - that would be fine with me, but it seems like just speculation at this point. And it seems too transparently cheesy. "Now you get to focus only on your class quests… And all that stuff that used to be non-class quests, we're now calling class quests!" Doesn't seem like that would fly. And Maclean said:

you're not going to be doing anything that's not your personal story.

But if I want to do things that aren't my personal story, will I still have the option pre-60?

Using them as fraction reputation quests seems to be confirmed, based on the article. Folding them into class quests - that would be fine with me, but it seems like just speculation at this point. And it seems too transparently cheesy. "Now you get to focus only on your class quests… And all that stuff that used to be non-class quests, we're now calling class quests!" Doesn't seem like that would fly. And Maclean said:

But if I want to do things that aren't my personal story, will I still have the option pre-60?

All we really have is speculation at this point. We do have some information from the dev’s but like a lot of people have said October is a long way off yet. Things are likely to change development wise in that time. Truth be told until we actually all get to play this absolutely everything is speculation, I can’t see us getting a full list of every changed quest or anything like that.

As much as i do enjoy speculating i have a whole lot of game to get through already so i'm trying to not over think it all and enjoy what we do have already.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.