HK-51 Lore Companion

Strive-US

I just can't see any Republic class using HK-51 (lorewise). As an assassin droid, it's firmly rooted on the side of evil.

But even then, I can only picture HK-51 with a Sith Inquisitor or Bounty Hunter. It might just be the roleplayer in me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't really feel that way.

My main is a Jedi Knight and he has HK-51 on his team. Sure at first the ship conversations weren't very pleasant for HK since my JK often told him to dial back on the full psychotic persona but in time, HK becomes a lot more focused and can be made to only target ennemies you see as evil.

So, in the end, it's a question of programming. A "blank" HK-51 that doesn't evolve is ill-fited to a "good" character but with time and conversations, he comes to like and respect his Master enough to alter his behavior.

So, partially true on your side but only at first, I'd say.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that: In the end I see a Republic alligned HK as similar to the Trooper actually, except his loyalty isn't to the Republic itself but to it's Master's ideal. I haven't finished companion conversation on an Empire + Evil HK so I don't know how he behaves.

Edited by Leklor

An assassin droid means it's built for assassination. As HK-47 himself proved, you could be assassinating for the Sith or the Republic with equal measure. It's not something that's inherently "evil". Thane in Mass Effect 2 gives a great speech about how an assassin is merely a tool for killing, not the bearer of the guilt.

The HK line droids were incredibly efficient killers, so for someone who engages enemies in combat on a daily basis, it makes sense that any of the 8 protagonists would be able to grab one. Even the Jedi classes. The Knight & Consular kill at least as many people as the other 6 classes, so it still makes sense that they'd pick up HK-51.

It is a little weird that the Empire had hundreds of these droids on a ship to begin with, but the fate of the HK-51 droids was a little vague in KOTOR 2 anyway, so I'm with it.

Oh, if only we could get the "Pacifist Upgrade" that poor HK-47 was subjected to in KoTOR2... that'll keep 51 in line.

And props for the Thane reference there, very good point. Problem is, Thane doesn't see himself as a killer, merely a tool. A droid of HK personality generally sees itself as a killer, and enjoys it.

Oh, if only we could get the "Pacifist Upgrade" that poor HK-47 was subjected to in KoTOR2... that'll keep 51 in line.

And props for the Thane reference there, very good point. Problem is, Thane doesn't see himself as a killer, merely a tool. A droid of HK personality generally sees itself as a killer, and enjoys it.

True. Still, assassination isn't inherently evil and the Republic isn't inherently good as the OP seems to imply.

An assassin droid means it's built for assassination. As HK-47 himself proved, you could be assassinating for the Sith or the Republic with equal measure. It's not something that's inherently "evil". Thane in Mass Effect 2 gives a great speech about how an assassin is merely a tool for killing, not the bearer of the guilt.

The HK line droids were incredibly efficient killers, so for someone who engages enemies in combat on a daily basis, it makes sense that any of the 8 protagonists would be able to grab one. Even the Jedi classes. The Knight & Consular kill at least as many people as the other 6 classes, so it still makes sense that they'd pick up HK-51.

It is a little weird that the Empire had hundreds of these droids on a ship to begin with, but the fate of the HK-51 droids was a little vague in KOTOR 2 anyway, so I'm with it.

I'm fairly sure Thane wasn't intended to be correct there.

OP, I'm sure the Republic propaganda machine wishes all its citizens were as naïve as you. The Republic wouldn't think twice about using an entire army of HK-51s if it had them.

The Republic isn't good. At best it's the lesser of two evils.

Edited by PLynkes

OP, I'm sure the Republic propaganda machine wishes all its citizens were as naïve as you. The Republic wouldn't think twice about using an entire army of HK-51s if it had them.

The Republic isn't good. At best it's the lesser of two evils.

Power corrupts, as they say.

• 4 months later...

I think we're drawing the wrong lines, here. Shouldn't we focus on the mental alignment of the individual, rather than their faction affiliation? There are plenty of blood-thirsty extremists on both sides, but they are mostly dark side. I have a dark Jedi Knight who would love to have an HK, and soon might, with my recent unlock.

I don't see many light side characters having a need for one, but he is on my Gunslinger's ship, and I've dialed back his sadistic enthusiasm, as mentioned prior to me. I fully expect that all of my dark side characters would love to have him aboard.