Feel like I want something "New" from the Developers, like a new vision for the game

ZionHalcyon

I see possible:

1) 1 or 2 full planets "The size or Hoth hopefully".

2) Two new species release instead of just the one.

3) Level cap raise 10 levels.

4) All new gear to coincide with the level cap being raised.

Now if this all happened then it would be HUGH!!!

Lets Hope..

You would get excited about that? I don't think it would add much other than more of the same. Pretty much all you have here is a new level cap and gear to grind with a new skin on your character and basically a new skin for a planet or 2. Then when you have things cool like floating platforms on Makeb; shuttles are replaced with a quick load rather than any scenic flight to even get a good look at the new skin.

Its actually probably what I expect from a new expansion but certainly nothing that would be fresh and all that exciting.

Something I would find new would not be so much cosmetic. I would like things like:

1. A new class (something with a new style of gameplay and story)

2. New Warzones (not a reskin but new game mode)

3. New whatever it is you end game PvEers do

4. New GSF ships and maps. Maybe game modes.

Wall of crazy: A warzone or PVE endgame OP that the style of combat changes just in that instance to an action style version. Making seperate balancing for either from the core game.

Edited by Technohic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think anything less than a big reveal would be a massive disappointment.

I think you should prepare yourself for a massive disappointment because...

But I hope we get something truly exciting, and not yet another thing that has the devs peeing down their legs with excitement when they finally get around to coming to the community with their new stuff, only for it to fall flat again when the community finally gets a hold of it...

If three years with this game has taught me anything, it's that this^ is exactly what's going to happen.

That's not a "feeling", that's a "want" or "desire".

Huh? Are you replying to another post that used the term "feeling"? Because OP doesn't - he consistently used "want" and "hope".

Feel like I want something "New"

I hope whatever it is, its BIG.[...]

I just hope they really try to rock the boat[...]

I want something newish. I want to see what the devs are really capable of. I want to see more personal story, and I want to see them be so bold...][

But I hope we get something truly exciting[...]

Edited by DarthDymond

I've no idea how you managed to without knowing me discuss my IT skills, neurosurgeon, spaceships, game development and investors into a conversation, but I can clearly understand why YOU have no idea what you are talking about in this thread.

Please SHARE exactly what I'm talking out of my rear about? I've made no statement about IT, complexity of IT, getting investors (that one was funny), requirements of software development nor anything that could remotely come close to stating something about how IT works in whole. But some how I'm talking out my rear and based on my simple "I work in IT and I understand how complex it is..." you have determined I don't know anything? Then you type a long speech about the differences ending with telling me to take a deep breath and folks in the industry who do not agree with me... About what I've no idea as that part is missing. Please explain how you got to that conclusion? LOL

You should take you own advice "stop, take a breath"... before you start stroking your ePeen on the forums you really should read what you have typed first. Your first post was sort of a mess and I was agreeing with you, then you went all like NUTS some how on the keyword "I'm in IT"... you need to relax some dude.... take a pill... go see a Dr. about any voices you might have in your head.

Again.. "Swapping the Engine" is not easy to do and requires years of planning & recoding. (I know)

Again.. "I'm in IT - just in case you missed that part and I could care less what you think I know about IT"

For grins... (Throw back from years ago).. anytime you do GPO changes you better get a test OU setup with the new GPO to test with all the live GPO's in the domain for say the IT department to guinea pig first before going live in a staged approach. Once you have all the respective change management completed and respective Domain Admin access ready unless you have delegated GPO changes to specific admins/accounts. Unlikely as in crappy IT shops everyone is sadly a Domain Admin for no real valid reason beyond "its easier" model to security.

You are talking out of your rear by trying to equate whatever IT experience you have, no matter how vast, to a gaming development company.

In other words, you fail to realize your experience in IT is completely irrelevant, and being in IT does not make you any sort of expert whatsoever on what it would take to replace the engine, despite you putting yourself forth as one with your "I work in IT" declaration.

So yeah, that's exactly my point - you could be an IT GOD and still know jack **** about what it would take to replace a gaming engine. Apples and oranges. And this coming from someone in your industry for 12 years + so when it comes to the IT side, I DO know what I am talking about.

BioWare needs Fallen Empire to be its WoW Cataclysm - something that changed the game for WoW and gave it the shot in the arm it needed to dominate for years to come.

[...]I want to see them be so bold as to remake the worlds that already exist into something far more entertaining and rewarding, that might actually tempt you to veer off of the 12x xp path for a few to go do them.

Oh god, no. Doing a 'Cataclysm' style makeover on the 1-50 game would be a horrible move. The class stories, as they are, are clearly what a lot of players (yourself included it seems) consider the best part of the game, so I assume you're not asking for those quests to be redone.

So that would leave reqorking the planetary quests. But the thing is, the planetary stories are good as-is; it's just the fact that you replay them multiple times on different characters that turn people off to them. Short of making every single mission class-specific, there's nothing they could do that would overcome that specific issue with them.

Even the ones that aren't that great are still decent. You don't dump resources into replacing an 8 / 10 piece of content with a 9 / 10. You leave the 8 / 10 there and make the 9 / 10 a new, separate addition.

If they want the next planet released to be an updated instance of an older planet, the way Forged Alliances showed us a battle-torn Tython and Korriban, then that would be fine. But going back and redoing the 1-50 game? The game's current strong suit? That seems like a terrible move to make.

Keep the story moving forward, and if moving forward involves visits to worlds we've seen before, that's fine, but if we go back to Tatooine it should be like the separate trip there in Return of the Jedi, not the revisionist 'remastering' we got in A New Hope: Special Edition.

Edited by DarthDymond

Let's face some truths:

You know, I often agree with ZionHalcyon, but any post which contains a phrase like "Let's face some truths" or "Let's be honest" is not likely to be very meaningful. What it means is "Here is my opinion but I want to forestall any debate on the matter by stating or implying that my opinion is indisputable fact."

Edited by branmakmuffin

Uh... he pretty much agreed with you yet you respond by going off on him to drive in a point he already agreed with, in the post you were quoting no less. Honestly, if anybody needs to stop and take a breath, it's you. Calm down.

Anyway, on topic, I don't think an expansion is too crazy to expect. It may be setting expectations high, sure, but the timing makes sense. A big, hyped E3 announcement for something that could very well be dropping right around the time of the first new main series Star Wars movie since 2005? There's quite a bit of room there and it'd probably be best if it was something big. The interest around Star Wars in general will be high around then so dropping a huge expansion to coincide with it that would add some great things to the game would be putting their best foot forward in an attempt to bolster the game's popularity and population.

I'm going to stay away from expecting anything personally, rather I'm just going to hope for something fun regardless of what it is. I will say, though, I definitely agree that more class stories and companion interactions would be amazing. Lord Scourge being silent during SoR and beyond kills me.

Sorry, but unless someone works in said industry at the same level as these guys, it always sets me off when someone tries to present themselves as an expert when they don't do the same work at the same level as the designers, or even demonstrate any sort of knowledge of an in depth knowhow.

So yeah, the whole "I'm in IT" thing set me off - it was completely unnecessary and didn't lend any strength to any of his arguments.

Huh? Are you replying to another post that used the term "feeling"? Because OP doesn't - he consistently used "want" and "hope".

Huh? I was commenting on the thread title - "Feel like".

Huh? I was commenting on the thread title - "Feel like".

But it was in the context of "I feel like I want":

Want [wont, wawnt]:

verb (used with object)

1. to feel a need or a desire for; wish for:

to want one's dinner; always wanting something new.

A want is a feeling, OP's phrasing was a bit redundant but not incorrect.

When you contrasted "feeling" with "want" or "desire" it seemed like you took OP to be saying "I have a feeling this is what is going to happen". But OP wasn't using "feel" to denote an intuition, he was just using it to articulate the desire he has.

EDIT: I'm going way too far down a tangent over nothing here, my bad.

Edited by DarthDymond

But it was in the context of "I feel like I want":

Want [wont, wawnt]:

verb (used with object)

1. to feel a need or a desire for; wish for:

to want one's dinner; always wanting something new.

A want is a feeling, OP's phrasing was a bit redundant but not incorrect.

When you contrasted "feeling" with "want" or "desire" it seemed like you took OP to be saying "I have a feeling this is what is going to happen". But OP wasn't using "feel" to denote an intuition, he was just using it to articulate the desire he has.

EDIT: I'm going way too far down a tangent over nothing here, my bad.

Optimization rarely has the impact upon a game's performance that the people complaining about the engine want.

Even when code is poorly optimized to begin with, a few years of code optimization might only yield a 1% improvement in performance.

If Bioware had even an inkling of suspicion that a big push into optimization would solve the problems and complaints with performance that players have experienced since launch then don't you think they would have done it already?

You want my honest answer? No. BW seems allergic to ANY hard work at this point in time. They seem more concerned with spamming new cartel content, and churning out sub par add ons and expansions, while leaving out entire mechanics from certain classes and ignoring entire swaths of their fan base.

Edited by mmmbuddah

I would love to see more Phased or Instanced Daily Missions so I can do my Weekly quests without all the annoying people crowding around clicky items and farming quest mobs.

All other players do in this game is slow me down and get in my way. Trying to finish some missions and roleplay a bit and all these players crowd around ruining the fun.

Sorry, but unless someone works in said industry at the same level as these guys, it always sets me off when someone tries to present themselves as an expert when they don't do the same work at the same level as the designers, or even demonstrate any sort of knowledge of an in depth knowhow.

So yeah, the whole "I'm in IT" thing set me off - it was completely unnecessary and didn't lend any strength to any of his arguments.

Nobody has presented themselves as an expert but you Zion. My point made was simple "I'm in IT and I understand the complexity of large scale software deployments and know why BW can't deploy a new engine"... nothing more was EVER posted. I had NO ARGUMENT or POINT made to lend strength too! WOW.... I've never said how BW should design or build or anything nor claimed to be an expert (Unlike your comment). You seem to be arguing with someone not online and directing it at me for some reason. Not sure how you get "Present themselves as an expert" out of that conversation, but whatever dude.

Maybe you should just stop trying to pick an online fight huh? Its.. plain and simple harassment and unwelcome.

Whatever the Big Announcement is, I hope it aligns with what 12xXP has created: a lot of players with large legacies and a lot of characters. Most of which a normal person can’t play, so they go in cold storage.

What I don’t want is the expansion like SoR that will require me to take each and every of my Level 60’ies through Planet X to grind to Level Y, and gear up to Rating Z.

I have not even finished Ziost on a single character, I still have not done Rishi-Yavin on two chars, leaving it for ‘the later’ (or, likely, never).

SM Operations that now opened up for ‘the rest of us’, warzones, and the promise of slight detoxification of the ranked warzones… all of it is much more interesting to me personally than Ziost, or, gods forbid, another run through Rishi, though I know I have to do it to open up the mats gathering fields.

So, egotistically, I would wish to see anything that:

1. makes getting into the group play easier & in case of PvP, fairer. I do not see anything other than cross-faction/server and high incentives to the Guilds to recruit and train.

2. Lateral, rather than vertical, game expansion, with more things to do on a maxed out character, rather than driving that character relentlessly forward

But, if BioWARE does go the way of “New planet! New levels! New gear!” I guess, I will just stick to 2 main mirror characters, and let the rest of the Legacy to craft sometimes….

I do wish people would get off of the new engine bandwagon. Its not going to happen. It would require a rewrite of the entire game to do that, because of how heavily modified it is. The company that makes the hero engine doesn't even support bioware anymore because the engine doesn't even resemble what they had. Its not as simple as just swapping engines.

And if you are going to make a new engine, really for the work involved, you may as well make an entirely new game.

You are correct. The new engine thing is NEVER going to happen. Some people just need to accept that. They are going to keep working on this one for the duration of the game.