Merc survivability in PVP: Number 1 priority to address

Lhancelot

It appears another patch is in the makings... I suggest you all test out the changes on PTS when it is live so your voice will carry more merit if you complain about the state of the mercenary class and the incoming changes.

That being said, it appears that they are considering some changes for the merc. Healing is being altered quite drastically for dps and heal specs.

DPS merc changes: In effect they are considering to give dps specs more off-healing abilities with a smaller spammable heal at the expense of losing their larger instant heal with a cooldown. Kolto shot will be reduced in healing output.

Healing merc changes: They are considering to reduce the healing output of the instant heal/no power consumption kolto shot. Their smaller spammable heal (rapid scan) gets a boost to healing output while the larger heal with a cooldown (healing scan) gets a slight nerf (less crit bonuses available to it).

In a nutshell I the direction I see is they want merc dps to have better off-healing capabilities. As for merc healers, I am not exactly sure what this accomplishes except for maybe better overall healing output at the cost of slightly less emergency burst healing. This is me theorycrafting...

What is obvious with this patch are no changes to give either spec better survivability and ability in dealing with the focus fire or tunneled damage by multiple enemies which is the crux of the mercenary class.

Before you complain about the coming changes, please go to PTS and test them out. Then, give your feedback on them. Give your feedback on what you would like to change in the future. This is the only way to have a positive impact on this class for the game.

They appear to be exactly the same changes they pulled after a lot of conflicting feedback last time.

They also deleted all the feedback from last time.

This. Why should we go repeat the feedback we have already given? The changes are the same, why would the feedback differ? Huge waste of time.

Without addressing our needs this is an indirect nerf to us.

Yes, we will be able to potentially heal to full again, but we are actually losing burst healing with a weaker heal meaning that under duress, and lets face it we are always under duress, we are actually losing even more chance to survive.

It seems they are also hurting Ops off heals a bit as well potentially.

I guess they wont be happy till we are all running Sorcs... which seem to be getting buffed for some ungodly reason i cant understand

This. Why should we go repeat the feedback we have already given? The changes are the same, why would the feedback differ? Huge waste of time.

Well, some people did not give feedback last time. Some people are newer players and are not aware that they can log into PTS to test the possible changes. If you don't want to give feedback that's fine I am just putting this out there so maybe some will be more aware of what is going on.

I also wanted to create this post to highlight what in my opinion is the biggest problem with the merc class in PVP, and that is dealing with focused damage from multiple enemies.

I get the frustration of the players who want the merc to be better. I think it's not a lost cause if people continue to voice their thoughts on how to make the class better though. There's really no other way, right?

i don't know why they are going to buff sorcs again, the main merc/mando problem is it lacks anti focus ability:

snipers: dodge roots and long roll

sorcs: lol

assassins: lol

juggs: lol to full and reflect

ops: vanish and aoe mezz

sents: vanish 99% dr

PT: you are going to stop your burst to defend or die and not long ago loller cannon

merc: i laugh everytime i pop one of those cds

compared to the others they are sub par and yet not addressed.

at least they do well in PVE.

and personally i'm not really concerned by heals changes..you are not going to win spamming MP like a sorc isn't with dark heal..and always useless in pve beside special occasions with forced downtime..

If Electro Net was more threatening, maybe with a 15s CD reduction in the Heroic Tier of Utilities that could be useful. But, as I will say time and time again, Give ALL Mercs Kolto Shell, and replace Emergency Scan. Then give us in the heroic tier utilities a stun bubble when all Kolto Shell charges are empty. Also, make it so that only Healers can have multiple Kolto Shells active, DPS with that ability would be broken...

If Electro Net was more threatening, maybe with a 15s CD reduction in the Heroic Tier of Utilities that could be useful. But, as I will say time and time again, Give ALL Mercs Kolto Shell, and replace Emergency Scan. Then give us in the heroic tier utilities a stun bubble when all Kolto Shell charges are empty. Also, make it so that only Healers can have multiple Kolto Shells active, DPS with that ability would be broken...

E-net is useful in very situational moments. It does nothing to address the biggest weakness in the merc, which is the inability to deal with focused damage.

You bring up possible ways to help though, one being some sort of stun attached to kolto shell. Thing is, even this wouldn't be enough.

Consider if a sorc had only stun-bubble available and no "anti-focus" god bubble? They would also be extremely fragile and easy to shut down with focus fire.

The funny thing is, even without god-bubble, sorcs would still be better than a merc is atm because they have superior kiting skills that enable them to get out of focus fire situations without even having to use god-bubble.

Basically god-bubble is the last resort emergency sorcs have at their disposal. Mercs have not one very powerful ability that can pull them out of an oh-crap moment.

all kolto shells together heal slightly more than static barrier shields like 14k all critting vs. 10k-12k talented, and they have the passive stun, not to mention the kb+root where mercs have a melee root, absurd.

The heal change will only be decent if charged barrier in gunnery also reduces the cost. assault also needs some kind of talent to make using medical probe easier as that spec has ammo issues. The small medic nerfs are most likely because of pve which makes sense advanced medical probe in pve gear can hit for some silly numbers. Off healing really isn't the dps specs issue, having your damage virtually fall to nothing when 1 melee presses you and a bunch of utilites that rely around either 1 cd depending on how you spec energy shield or htl. This entire class suffers from it's utility points as do a great deal of other classes/specs certain things just need to be baseline period, that would be the biggest step in increasing mando performance across all specs especially since it doesn't look like they want to give us an anti focus ability.

What is obvious with this patch are no changes to give either spec better survivability and ability in dealing with the focus fire or tunneled damage by multiple enemies which is the crux of the mercenary class.

Exactly. We need an anti focus ability of SOME sort...anything. And it needs to be able to be used while stunned imo. Without one, we're always going to be the fodder we've been.

Everyone knows we're walking targets in any ranked match and we can be dropped in seconds by any reasonably competent team, even with a good healer in our group. It's been this way as long as I can remember. Why have mercs still not gotten any survivability buffs in PvP?

Ok I just tested 6 games on my commando now. It seems there was no fix for Commando this time around on PTS. Best advice is apparently to accept that Commando/Merc is hard-mode and apparently is meant to be. Edited by Bobbafatter