Mobile Security Keys Temporarily Unavailable

TaitWatson

While the Android version of the mobile security key (The Old Republic Security Key) is available in the Play Store, I'm unable to install it on my phone (Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1), with the message given that "This item is not compatible with your device".

Note that I had the old version of the app installed (prior to upgrading my phone to Android to 5.0); I uninstalled it to replicate an issue my partner was having, and while I've done so, we're now both stuck without being able to re-install the mobile security key.

It seems that the app hasn't been enabled for 5.0+ devices, though its requirement is for Android "2.1 and up".

Is this the issue that you are referring to, Tait? Or is this something else?

While the Android version of the mobile security key (The Old Republic Security Key) is available in the Play Store, I'm unable to install it on my phone (Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1), with the message given that "This item is not compatible with your device".

Note that I had the old version of the app installed (prior to upgrading my phone to Android to 5.0); I uninstalled it to replicate an issue my partner was having, and while I've done so, we're now both stuck without being able to re-install the mobile security key.

It seems that the app hasn't been enabled for 5.0+ devices, though its requirement is for Android "2.1 and up".

I am having the exact same issue. I had no problems whatsoever running the application on my Sony Xperia Z Ultra while it was running the Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) operating system. The minute I upgraded it to Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop), the application ceased functioning. At the time I assumed there was a problem with the application itself, so I deleted it and decided to download and install it again. Imagine my consternation when it did not show up on Google Play and I received a message that my phone was incompatible with the security key application anyways.

I hope they are going to enable it for 5.1.1 and Android M devices soon.

thre have been problems with the app for a while... when i updated my iphone to the newest OS version the security key app stopped working...been that way for a while now... it would be nice if they updated the app finally and i could use it again.

Just got my Galaxy S6 and tried to install it from the Play store, error stating my device is incompatible as well.

Another addition to list of reasons I wish I kept my S5...

Edited by Wardav

From what I hear, you can use third party authenticator apps now, like authy and winauth, as they now support the standard protocols.

I also noticed for those who are on Android 5.0+ that you can use the Google Authenticator to generate a SWTOR Security Key. This also should theoretically work on Windows Phone with the Microsoft Authenticator.

Edited by Angdeth

I also noticed for those who are on Android 5.0+ that you can use the Google Authenticator to generate a SWTOR Security Key. This also should theoretically work on Windows Phone with the Microsoft Authenticator.

i can confirm that the google authenticator app works with swtor.

i forget where i read that it works, but after reading, i tried and was successful.

Windows Phone user here can confirm that the Microsoft Authenticator works (don't tell Google, I use it for them too!).

See this is what I dont get...

WP users (including myself) are crying for WP security key app. I have old Android phone lying around just for that purpose, since I don't want to mess with the Bluestacks and other stuff that I will not use for emulating 1 Android app. And yesterday I stumbled upon Reddit post where some random dude say that scheme is changed and that Microsoft Authenticator (the same that you use for Outlook.com) now also works with SWTOR. So I have removed my old Android app key from account, and tried with the new Windows Authenticator on my WP and voila - it worked!

And yet there havent been single post about it on the forums from the devs/community managers about it. Heck, even the app is updated and they didn't inform us about it (simply send mail to the people with the mobile app attached to the account).

Basically, for WP users (Lumia 1520 WP 8.1 Denim here) go to https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/authenticator/e7994dbc-2336-4950-91ba-ca22d653759b and install if if you don't have it already.

Login to SWTOR web and remove current Security key app (for me it was Android one on the other phone, which was super frustrating since I don't carry it with me all the time).

Add account to Authentificator app, name it SWTOR under Account, and in bottom text box "Secret key" re-type set of characters that you have on website. Click Save button and it will start generating 6 number sequences ever X seconds (lets say 20 or so, but still enough time). Re-type generated numbers from App to SWTOR web to finalize the process.

i can confirm that the google authenticator app works with swtor.

i forget where i read that it works, but after reading, i tried and was successful.

If someone comes across instructions for that, would love a link. Google'ing for it just pulls up threads begging for the windows phone version.

Of course Google thinks Apache and Nginx are the same thing as well...

Thanks

edit: Found it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=816072

Works for me.

Edited by dr_mike

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks!

If you're looking to get a mobile Security Key, they will be temporarily unavailable as we make some changes on the back end.

I'll let you know once they're back up!

-Tait

Is there any word on this yet? i have been without a key for a month now

They are already working again since one or two weeks. You have to download the new app, though. (Or use Google Authenticator or whatever.)

Thanks the new app works my key is up and running again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.