Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Accuracy and Defense

TitusOfTides

I was wondering how necessary these stats are in PvP? I am getting near to where I will be gearing up for ranked pvp with my first non sage/sorc. How much accuracy should I am for, if any? Defense rating?

I am under the impression that anything that says "weapon damage" will be based on accuracy vs defense, and anything else is force/tech and will automatically hit. Is this assumption correct?

Based on my calculations if I gear right I should be sitting around 20% defense rating, and I wasn't sure if this would mitigate a large portion of the damage coming at me... or if most of attacks are tech/force and this would be useless.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by TitusOfTides

accuracy is like the red headed step child of pvp, you take care of it but you dont want it around-especially for long periods. ;)

I usually run with like 95% melee and 105% force accuracy for the **** and giggles cuz I can get it without sacrificing other stats, anything more than that and your all like caRAZY...fo serious

#nerfpvp

:eek::D

For accuracy, it depends on your class. Just make sure you are not missing your target all that much.

Defense is a PVE tank stat. Don't have any defense on your gear if you are a DPS. If you are a tank, stack endurance, power, shield, absorb. The reason for dropping defense in pvp is a little foggy in my head right now, but I seem to recall something along the lines of crits ignoring defense, and since there are so many auto crits in pvp, you are better off ignoring defense and instead having a larger health pool. PVE bosses don't crit at all, so defense becomes much more useful in a PVE environment.

As a DPS, go with power and surge, with some crit and alacrity to taste (usually 3-5%).

For accuracy, it depends on your class. Just make sure you are not missing your target all that much.

Defense is a PVE tank stat. Don't have any defense on your gear if you are a DPS. If you are a tank, stack endurance, power, shield, absorb. The reason for dropping defense in pvp is a little foggy in my head right now, but I seem to recall something along the lines of crits ignoring defense, and since there are so many auto crits in pvp, you are better off ignoring defense and instead having a larger health pool. PVE bosses don't crit at all, so defense becomes much more useful in a PVE environment.

As a DPS, go with power and surge, with some crit and alacrity to taste (usually 3-5%).

No accuracy at all for DPS? Reason I ask, white damage attacks (rail shot, unload for merc) use ranged accuracy (not tech), which sits at 91% or so, which is bad.

Crits bypass shield chance, the reason you drop defense is because it is largely ineffective against force/tech attacks, which is the vast majority of PvP damage. Protection bubble abilities, and shield/absorb mitigate more raw damage in PvP than defense does hence why they are favored over defense.

No accuracy at all for DPS? Reason I ask, white damage attacks (rail shot, unload for merc) use ranged accuracy (not tech), which sits at 91% or so, which is bad.

DEpends on which class / spec.

For example vanguard tactics needs absolutely no accuracy, is 99 % tech damage.

Gunslinger marksman spec needs 95% because it is ALL white damage.

If a lot of your attacks are white damage, you need 95, if most / all are tech, then 90 is fine.

DEpends on which class / spec.

For example vanguard tactics needs absolutely no accuracy, is 99 % tech damage.

Gunslinger marksman spec needs 95% because it is ALL white damage.

If a lot of your attacks are white damage, you need 95, if most / all are tech, then 90 is fine.

No, rail shot/HIB is white/weapon damage. It falls under 'primary weapon accuracy'.

I'm thinking the VG class might benefit from just one accuracy mod. The DR curve on surge is so terrible anyways it can't hurt to lose .03% can it?

Edited by Brunner_Venda

Wrong. If you mouse over melee range accuracy you see that your special melee/range accuracy is 100 (101if you have the comp buff). The only non special attack you have is your auto attack skill like assault. Now if your are white damage heavy class you may want to get to 95 because most classes have a base defense of 5% which knocks down your accuracy from 101 to 96. Base player resistance is 0 so that's why you don't need it if you are yellow damage heavy class.

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies!

Wrong. If you mouse over melee range accuracy you see that your special melee/range accuracy is 100 (101if you have the comp buff). The only non special attack you have is your auto attack skill like assault. Now if your are white damage heavy class you may want to get to 95 because most classes have a base defense of 5% which knocks down your accuracy from 101 to 96. Base player resistance is 0 so that's why you don't need it if you are yellow damage heavy class.

So based on what you are saying, if a player had a higher than 5% defense chance it would start making it harder for the rest of the enemy's moves to hit? Or would this just affect the "assault" type ones?

So based on what you are saying, if a player had a higher than 5% defense chance it would start making it harder for the rest of the enemy's moves to hit? Or would this just affect the "assault" type ones?

huh? Defense is for all intents and purposes subtracted from your accuracy, any amount of defense greater than zero will "make it harder for the rest of the enemy's moves to hit" There is nothing special about 5%.

I would not recommend going to 95%. In a practical situation you will even with zero accuracy rating rarely ever lose a railshot or whatnot due to a player's base 5%. Most dodges/deflects in PvP are caused by DcDs and accuracy debuffs.

In looking at log data for my Vanguard for instance, I notice that out of several hundred HiB activations over the course of every warzone going back two months, the average HiB hit rate is ~88% this number includes miss and defends from DcDs. When I switched out two surge enhancements for accuracy and repeated the test I have seen (so far the test is ongoing) no statistically relevant or usable increase in the hit rate for HiB. (in fact the hit rate for HiB has so far actually decreased since adding the accuracy enhancements)

Edited by Zoom_VI

THIS is what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.